Litra's Sketches & Shenanigans - Not Taking Requests atm

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
ͺ°*Litra's Art Sketches*°͵
Tumblr: Litralite.tumblr.com (Kind of a mess)

Okay, after nearly a year posting and sharing my doodles, pieces, and other crafts on places like tumblr and other forums I frequent, a feeling urged me to set up here and hopefully expand my abilities. Now that is out of the way, allow me to properly introduce myself.

Greetings, my name is Litra but I go by various other names, mostly litralite/trickster/etc. I am 22 years old and live around Kentucky. Not really the kind who shares personal info, so that is essentially all I will share. Now for the main attraction...

Will add a table of contents here to make finding things less of a hassle.

To start off, I have been dabbling into digital art approximately one year and more than capable of doing traditional as well. Will need time to sort myself, but here are some pieces I have done as a showcase of my flexible abilities. Only one shown so far isn't Pokemon related, but I am capable of working outside that area.

I made this a few weeks ago when I had this dream where a giant spider came in my room and wanted to tutor me in being a villain. Trust me, I have had far stranger dreams.

Chronologically, this is my most recent drawing to date, done a few days ago. Basically impulsive sketched this while watching Pacific Rim.

Digital speed paint/doodle. For some baffling reason, many I have comment how adorable this is why I continue to be creeped out.

Once again, this was yet another doodle on SAI, but taken far less seriously.

This is of my character design used in the Kalos games, set somewhere around the small bridge in Laverre City on way to the gym. I regret not abusing textures as much as I normally would.

Last ones, and to give a good idea of what my normal style is, which is typically focused on loose linework and use color and textures to give it more life. First is alandscape piece of one of my favorite places in all the games, The Distortion World. Naturally, I cut loose and added my own imaginative take on it and made it part of my tumblr blog. Second was an experiment done of Rt 120 outside Fortree back in January, which I later began sticking to.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with how the spoiler tags work on these kinds of forums for the time being. Feel free to leave comments, constructive criticism (which I really appreciat), or both. Once again, I am grateful those who have taken time to see the above works and even happy for those who enjoy them.

Will update again later,
Litra

Last edited:
This is some really nice artwork, I especially like the torchic and the spider ones ^^ seeing as you want criticism I'd suggest you need to work on human anatomy, it's more noticeable on the laverre and fortree pieces. In those I think you probably need to work on arms and legs, I don't know if you use 'skeletons' while drawing it's hard to tell but if not you should try. I hope this helps and of course welcome to smogon :)

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
This is some really nice artwork, I especially like the torchic and the spider ones ^^ seeing as you want criticism I'd suggest you need to work on human anatomy, it's more noticeable on the laverre and fortree pieces. In those I think you probably need to work on arms and legs, I don't know if you use 'skeletons' while drawing it's hard to tell but if not you should try. I hope this helps and of course welcome to smogon :)
Thanks for replying. Even though those pieces months back, you definitely are spot on that human anatomy has been a weak point. I have been using "skeletons" in the form of observation and setting bodies up with squares, but my legs and arms still have me baffled at times. Will likely be adressing that weakness in my next sketching session.

Also, been around since late 2013 or so. Mostly lurking in Orange Isles.

Before I head off, here is another M Lopunny that was done around late 2014. The anatomy issues are here due to age (plus wanting to avoid drawing certain... features), but wanted to see how many draw the creature as more aggressive given they specifcally gain a temper on mega evolving.

Part of the inspiration came from watching something about the wendigo. Likely explains the scruffy appearance.

yeah limbs are a pain I'm still pretty bad with legs myself, on the arms I try to remember that the elbows should be in line with the center of the stomach, hope that helps, also great lopunny drawing :)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
You wouldn't be the same Trickster I know on Pokemon Showdown are you? XP

You have cute and detailed drawings here, would love to see some more haha. Agreeing with Pixel, you do need some more work on the human anatomy, but can be improved well. I guess a great way is too look at differently shaped people, skinny, fat, tall and short can all change how proportions are, so mess with them is the best way I can put it. Try study how people in general may pose too!

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
that spider is terrifying yet so classy
I like what you have, keep it up!
limbs can be a pain, i have trouble with them too, but you just gotta keep at it and it'll be all good.

Wendigo Lopunny is fantastic, I love how fierce it looks. Aside from that, hearing that pieces such as the Torchic were made digitally is somewhat surprising to me, as it looks like a watercolor piece. Can't wait to see more of your art in the future. +)

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
Evening! Been working on practicing human anatomy a good bit since taking the advice provided. May post my WIP sketches later.

You wouldn't be the same Trickster I know on Pokemon Showdown are you? XP

You have cute and detailed drawings here, would love to see some more haha. Agreeing with Pixel, you do need some more work on the human anatomy, but can be improved well. I guess a great way is too look at differently shaped people, skinny, fat, tall and short can all change how proportions are, so mess with them is the best way I can put it. Try study how people in general may pose too!
I used to be on PS, but stopped around the time Mawilite was being suspected (it was my favorite but I agree that demon was too much). I didn't like having my internet screwing me out of my near-wins, which was partly why I stopped. I will take up your drawing advice when I can!

aXl: Thank you! I am very glad my digital watercolor comes off as the genuine thing, but still working on how to emulate things like salting and wet-on-wet better. Glad you like my more vicious Mega Lopunny. I get the feeling most MLop art is near rule 34, so that makes it stick out more.

8-BIT Luster: He can practically pass off as a James Bond villain. "No, Mr Fly. I expect you to die!"

PixelMoniac_: I know that is one, but always kept forgetting other ones. I do recall proportion since I use heads as measurement.

Anyways, I found up this digital sketch I did of Tyranitar back in February when I was watching the 2014 Godzilla film. Part of me is contemplating lineworking and adding color since the only other thing I am doing is limb anatomy practice. Plus, it gives me an excuse to look up Georgia O'Keefe and study drawing desert landscapes.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus

This was supposed to be transparent but Tumblr turned it from a png to jpg. Additionally, the usual upload sites I use are not cooperating with me. Will hope to have a proper pic up tomorrow where it can show the look I intended.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently, some I have shown this to are not convinced it is digital. Anyways, the orb there is a life orb and I always assumed the powerboost involves running dangerous electrical energy through the user's body but harms their organs and such.

Last edited:

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
How do you even...... 0-------0
The Backgrounds OOOOOOOOOO:::
Your art is so good :D
Thanks! Most usually note my colors, but glad to see my backgrounds are getting noted. They used to be as vivid as Bleach's backgrounds before I took time to work on them.

My work on human anatomy has been going well. Not to confident on showing them since they're messy as hell. Got some books from library on the subject too for reference, but wasn't happy when I saw a poster on the door advertising an event... using the "challenge accepted" macro meme. The librarians are usually far more dignified to do that.

Was working on a texture background to emulate old sketch/journal paper. It was to look like two 9x11 sheets with binding as in middle of a book. Kinda went overkill and had to save as JPEG because the original size was... much less manageable. The background was for a challenge where my catches in a Pokemon game influenced what I drew and what style.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
Installed a massive ton of paper and brush textures as well as a stash of brush shapes too, including some I was looking hard for.

Was going to enter the new contest, but loved trying out my new toys to where I got carried away. Kinda want to draw stuff other than mons so any suggestions are all ears.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Where did you find those brush textures? I keep telling myself to try those out but never do, but if I get it served on a platter I might finally do it.

And I'm digging that Mega Altaria, quite a more serious touch than what most artists would choose. A little less brightness/more contrast could probably enhance it further, but those textures could work for a tattered paper piece too, so I dunno.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
I have the links somewhere. I was installing them around two days back. Thanks for the comments as well! I was kinda mixed on Altaria in that I felt I was a little more over-reliant on textures than I typically would, but playing with new toys does that. I am pretty good at portraying mons in ways far from norm (M Altaria above, beast/wendingo M Lop and trying to portray MGarde as an archmage or sorceress).

EDIT: Here are most of the links.

http://toadsdontexist.deviantart.com/gallery/28240691/SAI-Resources
Ignoring the tutorials, I downloaded all of these. I used the pastel pack for M Alt piece.

http://youkomi.deviantart.com/art/sai-default-brushes-and-textures-269972574

I only took the blotmaps and elemaps. The rest I had already.

http://iris-hime.deviantart.com/art/Paint-Tool-Sai-brush-set-198284016

Not sure which of these I used the most yet, but definitely installed the ZIP.

Let me find what else I added. Recalled applying some TRON inspired textures. Let me know if they serve you well.

Last edited:

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
Still alive. Took a break due to a combination of mental stress issues irl, art block, and something else. Installed a lot more textures, blotmaps, and such so thought I'd break ice with a 20 min Gastly doodle I did in SAI.

May do same for Gengar, since I am playing Platinum and using one (nicknamed Blair) and is just beautiful. Ghost types are my favorite, so may do more?

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
I may have drawn them too closely then and my trigger happy blend abuse had a hand. Thanks for the compliment!

Was straight up painting without any sketches or plans. Trying to practice painting and add an outline smiliar to how I paint irl.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
kyoyo.png

A WIP of something I am currently doing, which I estimate will be done later this weekend. Started out as wanting to draw Zorua and then a friend suggested it in middle of setting up an illusion. So now I am coloring it.

Oh, likely doing more Ghost types and/or Fairies after this. A lot of people who saw my Spiritomb said stuff like how it should be the actual color scheme or how it ruined their undergarments from scaring them.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Spiritomb's design inherently leaves a lot of creative license for some crazy motion and lighting effects, and I feel like you captured that wonderfully. Your watercolor style really serves this mon justice; the splattered shapes layered atop one another show its body spinning and swirling uncontrollably, and I love how the bright green in its eyes and mouth glows against the more muted colors around it. Plus, turning those ambiguous green dots from its original design into little purple ghost faces was a neat touch.

And maybe I'm an outlier here, but I actually quite like your departure from Spiritomb's normal color scheme. It's unexpected, and makes it more unsettling and spooky :)

That current WIP is looking pretty promising too. Keep it up, your work is some of the most unique I've seen here in Smeargle!

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus

This was a pain. Could not merge all because it would mess up my Luminosity and Overlay layers so had to carefully merge them compared to merge all. Finally done though but kinda drained by that.

Zorua transforming into Primal Kyogre via Illusion. Should name it better.

That looks very good! Definitely interesting how Zorua is transforming, as in the anime it... jumps in the air and turns into a ball. I like your version better.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
@Helen: Thanks! The anime is hit and miss on depicting things. Some are good (Reverse World, various), others... not so much. I remembered Zoroark wasn't one to completely do that, but been years since I seen m 13.

Here is a Bill Cipher speedpaint, done in about 1 hr. Was for waiting storm to pass but still here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)