Little Cup CCAT (Poll now up!): Please see post 142!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Ok, so the winner of the poll is Harvest Exeggecute.

We now move on to the next step, decidig the type of team we want to build and identifying potential team mates. To do this post the type of team you think we should build and why, then identify possible teammates and why you think they are good. Essentially your job is to persuade me!

Lets get this started!

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Stall / Semi-Stall - Harvest Eggy and Toxic Spikes, with Hazards and more defensive shit would piss everyone off. I'd just forfeit

Stall / Semi-Stall - Harvest Eggy and Toxic Spikes, with Hazards and more defensive shit would piss everyone off. I'd just forfeit
We can't use Tspikes, that would interfere with Sleep Powder.

Bulky Offense or Balanced: This is my favorite play style, in any tier. I like being able to hit hard and still be able to take hits.

Like some people already suggested, using Omanyte alongside Exeggcute would work great because they have good synergy. We'll need something to beat steels because they just wall Exeggcute (But they'll still take quite a hit from Leaf Storm). Maybe Magnemite or a Fighting-type.

Edit: I guess Bulky Offense is the same thing as Balanced. So Balanced for my vote!

Hyper Offense: Exeggcute is best on hyper offense, as it constantly keeps pressure on the opponent. Stall Exeggcute may look good on paper, but it sucks. Constantly subbing just makes it extreme setup bait. Every team will have a taunt user or something, and even if they don't, Eggy can't pull it off long enough, as Substitute will either run out of PP or Oran will fail to restore itself. It's going to be hard to set up two layers of Toxic Spikes anyway, as spinners and Poison-types are everywhere.

Now, on the subject of why hyper offensive is good with Exeggcute. HO relies on entry hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, which aid Exeggcute too, and they don't get in the way of Sleep Powder. It can cripple an opponent's check to offense with Sleep Powder as its teammates proceed to sweep. It also has extremely unique coverage that only it can pull off on an offensive team. Other than Exeggcute, no offensive Pokemon can hit hard with Grass / Psychic coverage from the special side. It's really just a potent threat in terms of both sweeping and aid.

edit: also another reason why stall sucks is you can't switch out or you lose your subs / momentum, and you have to switch out once you use leaf storm or you're really weak.

Stall: Exeggcute can stall for an almost indefinite period of time, and stall teams would absolutely love to have it as a member. Being able to rack up Toxic [Spikes] damage as well as Hail or Sandstorm recoil while recovering its berry is an absolute plus to stall teams. Still, like Lileep, if it gets hit by Toxic, it's done, but a cleric in Chinchou can help with this.

EDIT: Oh teammates too? Well in that case, I'd have to suggest Tentacool, a Pokemon that doesn't share very many (if any at all) weaknesses with Exeggcute which is able to both set up and remove Toxic Spikes, two plusses in Exeggcute's case. Hippopotas can set up Stealth Rock and also brings Sandstorm to the table, which allows Exeggcute to rack up even more passive damage.

If status is that big of a deal, Exeggcute can run Rest + Lum Berry. Auto 100% recovery and the ability to absorb any status is very nice

Balance

Harvest Exeggcute is a balance Pokemon, so it should be on a balance team, plus Balance in LC love sleep support

canno

formerly The Reptile
Balanced

Exceggcute is decent in both offense and defense, so a balance team is nice.

Tentacool is, IMO, Exceggute's best parter defensively. Type wise, they cover each other's weaknesses almost perfectly. Stat wise, Tenta's awesome SpD in combination with Eggy's good Def block both Physical and Special threats. Tenta also has a good support movepool and can absore toxic spikes and rapid spin any other hazards.

Offensively, Houndour is a nice partner. It rapes Ferroseed, who will wall Eggy and can set-up, while also acting as a lure to pokemon that can't do shit to Eggy, allowing a potentially free sub.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im just going to throw out there that I've been playing Stall Exeggcute for a few weeks now for LC challenge, and it does not suck. You say sleep interferes with tspikes? You are flat out wrong. You say Exeggcute is set up bait? You are once again, flat out wrong. You say Harvest is too unreliable or it is too weak to stall effectively? You are once again wrong.

Now that that's out of the way, let's go for

Balanced / Sandstorm

As I said, I've used stall, but that is a completely different manner of playing eggy. I do not think we should do hyper offense, and here's why: when it comes to Hyper Offense, Gastly does Exeggcute's job better. Gastly can also use sleep moves and has better STABs. Exeggcute's niche is being able to stick around longer.

Croagunk is an awesome teammate, being a solid check to Scraggy, and absorbing TSpikes. Priority is also nice.

The reason I've slashed Sandstorm in is because Exeggcute handles one of the main things Sandstorm struggles with: Bulky Water-types. Exeggcute complements Drilbur in numerous ways: notably, he can lure in something like Bronzor or Ferroseed and put it to sleep, giving Drilbur extra opportunities to set up Swords Dance. Hippopotas nearly always gets Stealth Rock set up, which also benefits Exeggcute.

In reply to the above post, Houndour is a nice partner, I've tested it.

AND FINALLY, can we please not do stall with Exeggcute and Tentacool core- I still need my team for the lc challenge to not be completely stale :D

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Balanced/Weather

Harvest Exeggecute will work best on a balanced team because it has an indefinite stalling potential. By its nature, a balanced team will always be leaning more towards a certain playstyle, whether it be offensive or stall - leaving Exeggecute room to hinder both, giving it a double niche. While Exeggecute obviously has potential under any playstyle, balance exeggecute (balancecute?) is superior.

In addition to Houndour, Munchlaw is a great partner. It resists the attacks of Exeggecute's checks, including Snover and Houndour, and can KO them back.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Just Posting to say that this part is not a poll. I want you to convince me that what you say is correct and then I will choose which style of team we will create based entirely on your arguments.

TEAM TYPE

IT IS COOOL
Is not sufficient. Also feel free to respond to other people, as discussion will help your case.

I don't like classifying team playstyles/types/whatever simply because the lines are far too blurry and I just don't get the terms sometimes, but I guess here would be my vote/reasoning.

"Offensive"

I really just don't want a defensive/"balanced/bulky offense/idk what to call it" team. We already know those are good, and many people already know Bronzor/Shelmet/Tentacool/Chinchou/Exeggcute/Houndour is good. If the point of the team is to be innovative (like the OP says!), you may as well use an offensive team since clearly they are the underrepresented playstyle in the metagame. It might be harder to make a good team, but I still believe it's possible (otherwise I'd argue that by default we should make a more defensive team!).

Offense

As of now, it's easy to see that BO/defensive is easier to make than offense. Exxegcute is capable of decimating a lot of pokemon on defensive teams and helps soften the defensive pivots for sweepers like Drillbur to sweep. It enjoys spikes/Rocks support a lot and toxic spikes just honestly helps it beat what it already beats.

Partners could be Magby, who takes care of steel types, and fits well on an offensive team as a late game cleaner. Croagunk works as a priority abuser and takes out Scraggy, who is fucking annoying. I'd then suggest something like Specs Bronzor to take out Drillbur and catch teams off guard, lol.

Im just going to throw out there that I've been playing Stall Exeggcute for a few weeks now for LC challenge, and it does not suck. You say sleep interferes with tspikes? You are flat out wrong. You say Exeggcute is set up bait? You are once again, flat out wrong. You say Harvest is too unreliable or it is too weak to stall effectively? You are once again wrong.

Now that that's out of the way, let's go for

Balanced / Sandstorm

As I said, I've used stall, but that is a completely different manner of playing eggy. I do not think we should do hyper offense, and here's why: when it comes to Hyper Offense, Gastly does Exeggcute's job better. Gastly can also use sleep moves and has better STABs. Exeggcute's niche is being able to stick around longer.

Croagunk is an awesome teammate, being a solid check to Scraggy, and absorbing TSpikes. Priority is also nice.

The reason I've slashed Sandstorm in is because Exeggcute handles one of the main things Sandstorm struggles with: Bulky Water-types. Exeggcute complements Drilbur in numerous ways: notably, he can lure in something like Bronzor or Ferroseed and put it to sleep, giving Drilbur extra opportunities to set up Swords Dance. Hippopotas nearly always gets Stealth Rock set up, which also benefits Exeggcute.

In reply to the above post, Houndour is a nice partner, I've tested it.

AND FINALLY, can we please not do stall with Exeggcute and Tentacool core- I still need my team for the lc challenge to not be completely stale :D
I wanted to vote but I didn't really want to put partners in. Ray Jay said what I wanted to. I even hate Tentacool. It's like he wrote this post for me.

Offense

Basically same reasoning as EM. We already know bulky teams are good and frankly they are quite boring.

Crux

Banned deucer.
OK, so I have read over everyone's reasoning, and I believe that the team should be Offensive.

This does not mean it has to be hyper offensive, as obviously exeggecute needs dome support, however we will be definitely leaning towards an offensive team, which has not been done well in little cup for the longest of times afaik!!!

So the next part of the process is quite simple, we are going to suggest sets we think work well with Eggy and fit the style of the team that we have chosen, you should provide reasoning for these sets.

I will be talking with some little cup veterans concerning each set that is posted, and we will put some of the good sets together and see what works where. So make sure you test and supply the relevant information if you think your set fits the team.

Feel free to suggest as many mons as you want, because we want this to be a Community Create a Team not a Crux Create a Team!!!

Ponyta would be a good partner on an offensive team.

Ponyta@Life Orb
Jolly l 36 HP/236 Atk/196 spe
Flash Fire
Flare Blitz/Return/Wild Charge/Morning Sun

Justification:
Ponyta is the definition of a glass cannon. It fits the offensive playstyle perfectly. Flare Blitz hits ridiculously hard. Wild Charge generally 2HKO's bulky waters and Return provides coverage. Morning Sun helps heal some HP especially with Flare Blitz depleting its HP so fast. Not much to say, other than that it's really fast and really strong.

Another good partner would be Staryu.

Staryu@Life Orb
Timid l 36 HP/196 spA/236 spe
Natural Cure
Rapid Spin/Recover/Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt

Justification:
Spin support is absolutely neede for Ponyta, and Exxegcute greatly appreciates the removal of Toxic Spikes. LO Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt both hit really hard, and recover allows you to heal off LO damage.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shell Smash Omanyte

why? eggy and him have almost perfect synergy. People need to use scarfers or priority to kill Omanyte. Eggy can set up on the choice scarfers attacks. Omanyte can also create hole in the opponent's team to allow it to sweep.

other partner...

a fire type would create a fwg core. Houndour comes to mind to soak up fire type attacks... ponyta sucks.......

Wait, we're supposed to use what's possibly the stalliest set ever on an offensive team?

Uh, can I suggest a Tspiker anyway? An offensive team supported by Toxic Spikes and Exeggcute sounds like it could work.

Omanyte or Tentacool have the best synergy.

I think one Pokemon that would work very well with Exeggcute is Eviolite Larvesta. Here are my reasons:

1) Larvesta does a good job at luring in many Water-types, one of the few things that Exeggcute can switch in on.
2) U-turn can help get Exeggcute in safely while giving you more momentum
3) Larvesta can make Mienfoo (and other U-Turn mons) think twice about spamming U-turn against Exeggcute, sub up or not, due to Flame Body.
4) It's pretty cute..........................

I guess the obvious partner for the two would be [Eviolite] Staryu.

[a]evidence[/a]EDIT: how can you not think this is cute?????

d'awwwwww

I think one Pokemon that would work very well with Exeggcute is Eviolite Larvesta. Here are my reasons:

1) Larvesta does a good job at luring in many Water-types, one of the few things that Exeggcute can switch in on.
2) U-turn can help get Exeggcute in safely while giving you more momentum
3) Larvesta can make Mienfoo (and other U-Turn mons) think twice about spamming U-turn against Exeggcute, sub up or not, due to Flame Body.
4) It's pretty cute..........................

I guess the obvious partner for the two would be [Eviolite] Staryu.
I agree with this entire post except the fourth point.

I agree with this entire post except the fourth point.
No larvesta is cute

Anyways, eviolite larvesta works really well in my experience, but we'd still need something to beat LO Drillbur.

I'd rather not see Bronzor, especially on an offensive team. What do you guys suggest?

canno

formerly The Reptile
No larvesta is cute

Anyways, eviolite larvesta works really well in my experience, but we'd still need something to beat LO Drillbur.

I'd rather not see Bronzor, especially on an offensive team. What do you guys suggest?
I think Unburden Drifloon could work well for that. Maybe a set like this (Got this set from the New/Creative thread. It looked decent enough to work):

Drifloon@Flight Gem
Jolly
Unburden
116 HP/196 Atk/196 Spe
- Acrobatics
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion
- Substitution/Knock Off

Can rape fighting types with Flight Gem STAB Acrobatics. Then he gets the Unburden boost, which makes him really fast, and gets a 110 BP STAB move. Sucker Punch is for priority moves, explosion is for a last ditch move, and sub is for protection from priority, and he doesn't pack any other decent Physical attack that isn't outclassed by Acrobatics. Knock Off could be used over Subs to get rid of evolite I guess.

Drifloon makes a decent partner with Eggy, but shouldn't be used as part of a core. You could try to lure an electric move with Drifloon for Eggy to switch in, and Drifloon could scare off Grass-types that could potentially wall Eggy.

As for an actual core, I suggest a FWG core, consisting of Harvest Eggy, ShellSmash Omanyte, and Whatever Houndour (I was thinking of the MixAttack set on the site, but whatever works I guess). Drifloon works here as he is immune to the double weakness to fighting the core has and hits hard back with STAB Acrobatics.

Then a Hazard Setter and another poke to finish off the coverage. (preferable something that resist Dark)

Drifloon won't work, even with max speed (which needs 200 EVS iirc) you still only speed tie with Drillbur. Most Drillbur cary Shadow Claw or Rock slide anyways which can OHKO Floon.

Not sure exactly what we can do since Drillbur is kind of like Excadrill in LC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)