Project Little Cup Research Project

Taken over from Fiend Hound, approved by Rowan
Hello! Welcome to Little Cup Research Project, this is a project aimed to discover the potential of Pokemon in Little Cup that may or may not see the usage they truly deserve. Each two weeks, 3 Pokemon will be chosen and you have an entire two weeks to discuss the Pokemon selected. Here are a few ground rules when discussing the Pokemon

•Please stay on topic, don't go discussing any pokemon other than the Pokemon selected for the research project. DO NOT use this thread to suggest Pokemon for future research weeks; pm me instead.

•When discussing the Pokemon feel free to talk about its strengths, weaknesses and its role in the metagame. Make sure you have a reason behind the things you say about a particular Pokemon. This will help people understand what your are trying to say. Saying something like "I didn't like using Foongus because it's ugly and atrocious" and giving little to no reason behind it is unacceptable.

This project will also have a ladder challenge! Feel free to post a new alt and the Pokémon(s) you are using. Anyone that reaches in the 1550s+ will receive "Gold" anyone that reaches 1450-1549 will receive "Silver" and anyone that reaches 1400-1449 will receive Bronze in the Hall of Fame. I encourage people to post the set they are using when they sign up and after the weeks are over, it might be fun to post your whole team and how they used the Pokémon(s) in the Research Project.

NEW RULE: No-one actually qualifies for their rank unless they post a paragraph (or more if you're willing) about the Pokemon they chose. What role does it fulfill, and whether it was effective in that role etc.

An example sign-up for the ladder challenge could look like this:

Alt: xxxRBY03destroyerxxx
Pokémon:
Lotad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 SpA / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 11 HP
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Svalkenaeres
Peaked: 1463
Svalkenaeres
Peaked: 1453

Kingler12345
Peaked: 1410
Yagura
Peaked: 1403

Last edited:
The Pokémon that will be researched this time are:

Karrablast

Remoraid

Golett

Last edited:
Alt: HATERAID
Pokémon:
Remoraid @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Yagura it's golett lol

Anyway lgi

Alt: KinglerLC12345
Pokemon:
Golett
Golett @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 164 Atk / 196 Def / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

edit: Okay, so here's my impression of golett: it's not very great at what it does. First off, I'll talk about its pros. It's a mon that can deal good damage to common defoggers/spinners (it 2HKOes Vullaby and OHKOes offensive Archen after SR, also almost OHKOes standard spinner Drilbur, also it 2HKOes Staryu with EQ). The problem with those calcs is that they are deceptive. Vullaby does huge damage to it and can play Roost games. No one's really gonna switch in an Archen or Drilbur on this thing. Staryu can just Recover and Golett stays at huge risk if you overpredict because Hydro Miss easily OHKOes. Now, Golett can both lay hazards and keep them up. When you consider the scenario of spinblocking, Golett stands no chance against Staryu for obvious reasons. Drilbur 2HKOes with EQ, so there's not much hope there either.

I think if you need a spinblocker, Pumpkaboo is the way to go as it has a much better matchup against these spinners. Golett is a decent tank/hard-hitter, but honestly is really slow and with the prevalence of Knock Off everywhere, can't even check ever-so-common Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr. If your team needs both these jobs done then fine, otherwise I don't really recommend using Golett.

In summary: Golett is kinda slow but hits hard and spinblocks as well as uses SR. If you want a mon that does both go ahead but otherwise you probably don't wanna be using this thing.

Last edited:
Alt: Mark Venture
Pokemon: Golett

Golett @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

I'm sorry but I was not able to ladder any more, previous alt has been ghastly. I found Golett really worst than I believe; I inserted it in a Sticky Web team and dispense it for SR role, so I expext Golett could hit with a better coverage. But it was really helpless vs common defoggers/spinners, not so strong as much as I want, always it seemed too easy revenge kill it. I was unpleasantly surprised by that.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: ayay caramba
Pokemon:
Karrablast

Karrablast (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit / Poison Jab

edit: After trying it a bit i can say that he has an incredible power as sweeper. Unmissable Megahorn is bae, knock off is cool in the early game. Drill Run gives good coverage even if i found it pretty useless :o

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Admiral Qwil I
Pokemon:
Karrablast

Karrablast @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Alt: Kawaiiblast
Pokemon:
Karrablast @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Pursuit/Poison Jab

Last edited:
I'm probably not gonna be able to ladder any more and I only reached bronze (which is kinda sad). If I do manage to do so, I'll post the new ranking.
upload_2015-1-9_15-53-16.png

(i couldn't edit this in my post because for some reason it doesn't allow you to c/p screenshots)

EDIT-nop couldnt do more laddering my thoughts on golett are pretty much the same although faster versions are okay and probably the only good ones

Last edited:
Is deadline next Thursday?
No, the other Thursday which will be the 22nd.

Also this is a great occasion to remind you of the new rule: No-one actually qualifies for their rank unless they post a paragraph (or more if you're willing) about the Pokemon they chose. What role does it fulfill, and whether it was effective in that role etc.

Alt: karrablast is cute
Pokemon:
Karrablast @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Alt: LCpack
Pokemon: Remoraid

Remoraid @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Will write once i've used it some

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I doubt I'll really make bronze, but I'll still explain how I used Karrablast.

I used Karrablast on a Sticky Web team as a Swords Dance sweeper. I'm not normally a good Sticky Web user, but Karrablast tore teams up. I will post the team I used, but the idea behind it was simply keeping hazards up, trapping Gastly and Abra, and getting rid of birds. I'm happy with it; it's unbelievably harsh as a wallbreaker mid-game but it takes more support to sweep.

Infamy Kingler12345 The Quasar Jetpack Fran17 The Avalanches Omastar42 tazz

Tagging you guys to know how is your laddering going? Did you see any success using the mons that are being researched? Do you have any comments about them?
Hello Yagura. I have only laddered some with the Pokemon I chose, Remoraid. However I am still comfortable i can reach bronze with it. I will edit my comment soon to reflect my opinion on Remoraid, but for now I'm going to continue laddering on the alt.

No, the other Thursday which will be the 22nd.

Also this is a great occasion to remind you of the new rule: No-one actually qualifies for their rank unless they post a paragraph (or more if you're willing) about the Pokemon they chose. What role does it fulfill, and whether it was effective in that role etc.
I've posted my thoughts on Golett, I'll probably not ladder more so that's pretty much my final score (wow I suck at laddering). Golett's a cool mon but I didn't particularly find it useful, despite its nice bulk and SR+spinblocking...

well I guess the avalanches and I had the exact same idea, as I used in under SW as well. I'm still playing around with the team, but the biggest obstacle for karrablast has always been fighting types every single game. Once I can get past them, karrablast becomes a terror for the opposing team to face.

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
Does it still count if I use mon from here as a pass receiver? I'm asking because you can make everything work that way and it wont show real qualities of the mon used, yet its the easiest way to hit gold...just my 3 pokedollars

Does it still count if I use mon from here as a pass receiver? I'm asking because you can make everything work that way and it wont show real qualities of the mon used, yet its the easiest way to hit gold...just my 3 pokedollars
Nothing against that, so sure.

I've had rotten luck with Karrablast. It's a really strong revenge killer and Megahorn hits non-resists like a truck, but it can't switch into anything and struggles against omnipresent fighting types, fairies and burds. It's complete ass as a Pursuit trapper, as it does not OHKO Abra with Pursuit unless Abra switches out. A Prediction of Pursuit is relatively easy (especially if a fighter is left) so Abra can stay in on a predicted pursuit and kill it after rocks with Psychic. Despite struggling against top mons, with some support I believe it really can shine. Once its checks are gone, Megahorn spam is really good, and Drill Run gives nice coverage. I'll ladder with a different Karrablast team, maybe with PJab>Pursuit and see how that goes.

I've been expecting more discussion tbh so yeah if you don't want to talk about the Pokémon you'll be using there is no needs to ladder js.

Anyways only Kingler12345 met the reqs for a rank and he got the bronze rank, gj to the other users too and gl in the current research period, hopefully more people will get ranked higher.

This period's researched mons are: grass-types hype!
Chikorita

Cacnea

Skiddo

Are the common Grass-types such as Foongus, Ferroseed, and Pumpkaboo the only ones that are worth running? Are these Pokémon really viable and have some niches that give them a place in a seriously competitive team?

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I will use Skiddo for this month's research. I may or may not have the time to achieve a medal, but I will certainly use it and then discuss it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)