Project Little Cup Research Week II (DEAD)

Infamy (Death by Daru) ELO 1400 (W 22 P 8)
Lol just barely making the cut xD what a lord I am
Anyway all of the mons for this week look cool, gonna edit in my alt and the sets I'm using when I can access Showdown (it doesnt load on mobile for me :/). I'll try to use each mon at least once. Thinking waterspam core of tyke+chou, quickpass bunny, and obviously spdef ekans (which looks really cool from Omastar's replays). Thanks for the extension by the way,the ladder's been really spotty lately.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deffo think 2 weeks is best for this project. It gives a chance to ladder and then share sets and discuss the pokemon.

If you are partaking in this project it'd be great if you posted your thoughts on the pokemon you used, what niches you found, what support they need to function effectively etc. there's no point having a thread just for ladder alts

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess I'll lead through example here; thus far for this segment of research week, I've found Buneary Cosmic Pass to Spritzee godly, especially with the para spam style of team I ended up with in building. Additionally, Buneary's Healing Wish set makes quite a threat and honestly has screwed me one too many times. I was thearymoning Healing Wish to mainly support Rhyhorn which loves the recovery. Jump Kick + Frustration + Ice/Thunder Punch provides decent enough coverage as well allowing you to really mess with certain teams.

Mantyke has be a lord for me, despite it missing a third of its Air Slashes and getting only 1 burn with Scald. It has allowed me to beat Abra's with insane ease as well as troll scarf Chinchou thanks to Water Absorb. Also, my spread is able to take a V switch from Chinchou all but 6.8% of the time from full, allowing me to score a lot of free damage and in theory burns on the other team. It also has some okay synergy with Ponyta and great synergy with Foongus/Ferroseed.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Ekans; the para on incoming Drilbur, Sandshrew's, and Archen's are really cool, however I feel like it has too much 4mss. I might change it up a tad, and drop Coil just to see if it can still function as well as it does now, while also letting me hit Fletch better. I don't really have anything else to add for Ekans unfortunately.

What's going to happen to the ladder challenge? PS is back, but ladder records (unfortunately including Tricking's amazing 1672) have been lost. Do we grant yet another extension, or just move on? (Tricking should get gold either way)

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm extending this last week for one more week; tricking will be rewarded his gold and anyone who wants to ladder with Ekans/Mantyke/Buneary can still do so.
However, I will also be adding the pokemon: Venipede, Bidoof, and Electrik.

Venipede is a cool pokemon; it has speed boost, spikes, toxic spikes, okay attack--just no Baton Pass like Scolipede. But does that really hold it back from being viable? What else does this bugger bring to the table?

Bidoof: everyone's favorite pokemon. Simple can make it become rather terrifying as well as its many support options. However, Bidoof is just a pure normal type making its STABs lack luster at times. Can it still sweep teams? Is it able to stand up to our S-ranks?

Electrik is a great Electrik type; it has Flamethrower for Grass-types and Steel-types as well as all the cool benefits of being an Electric type. It is able to wall Magnemite lacking HP Ground perfectly, even gaining a SpA boost to smash it harder at times. Chinchou just presents an extreme problem for Electrik, and so do most attackers. Electrik as sub par bulk making it easily beat. But can it still do its job?

And with that I'm off until Tuesday/Wednesday. (The sprites will come then)

Since the ladder reset, are we going to be changing the gold/silver/bronze things? There's currently no one on the ladder above 1400, which is the requirement for bronze.

Also, made a quick team around Venipede that I figured I could put here so I could take credit for other people who laddered with Venipede.

GEN 5 WAS GUD LEL (Venipede) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Protect

PLUMPKIN (Pumpkaboo-Super) @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 44 HP / 196 Def / 236 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Synthesis
- Bullet Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Leech Seed

EMO AF (Pawniard) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

STONED TBH (Chinchou) @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Scald

MY LIL PWNY (Ponyta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Sunny Day
- Flare Blitz

RAINBOW WORD (Archen) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Venipede because Venipede. Not as sexy as Whirlipede but w/e. Has Prot for speed+blocking Fake Out. Pumpkin for spinblock. LO SD Pawn for late game sweep + Defog blocker. Chou is obligatory Fletch check. Pony for FWG, WillO with TSpikes to hit burds. Defensive Archen because I haven't used it before, Earthquake because hitting Chou is fun. Oh and pls use the nicknames so I can know if you stole my team kthx.

Alt: Bugcatcher Brad
Ranking: 1000
Pokemon: Venipede

Venipede @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Protect

EDIT: Put Evio Drilbur over Archen. Archen's bad :[

Last edited:
I've used Venipede before, and spike stacking just doesn't work for me. Therefore, I choose Bidoof.
Alt: Badoof
Ranking: 1048
Pokemon: Bidoof
Bidoof @ Berry Juice
Ability: Simple
EVs: 52 HP / 236 Atk / 96 Def / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Aqua Tail
- Quick Attack
Ekans is a wonderful mon with many options for use. It can run a support set with intimidate and glare, a cool attacking set with coil/gunk shot/earthquake/sucker punch, and an amazing bulky boosting set with shed skin rest. So many options leave Ekans with hella 4mss. I ran Crokans, and there were many times when sucker punch would have saved me a match. Despite it being hurt by 4mss, it can still be a scary sweeper given the right support. Pokemon like Abra and Drilbur give Ekans nightmares. (Though the berry juice set with sucker punch doesn't fear abra switch ins, but it is always forced out.) Drilbur and Abra checks (i think pump checks both now lol) are greatly appreciated, because Ekans can only pull of a sweep if they're gone. Archen also completely walls Crokans and hits it with earthquake, stopping me cold. A scarfed electric type/pawniard can be great checks to Archen,i can't even think of any counters. Chinchou and Magnemite also proved to be problematic, as they wore it down quickly with special attacks. So Ekans definitely needs hazard support to stop those two from living Earthquakes (if not boosted enough or sturdy, respectively) and hitting hard or pivoting away. Ekans has other issues like its low speed, and the fact that Shed Skin is somewhat unreliable. That being said, Ekans is a monster with coil up, and its Poison typing, on top of 23/14/14 bulk, let it set up easily. Pseudo-reliable recovery in Rest takes some luck to work, but oftentimes will stop Ekans from being worn down and will let it continue its sweep. Shed Skin also lets it switch in on Foongus and start setting up. Ekans may take some support, but its formidable sweeping capabilities redeem it, making it the only mon so far that I would use outside of Research Week.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Tricking my waifu
Pokémon:
Venipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 236 Atk / 52 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endeavor
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Toxic Spikes/Protect

I used this on an old hazard stacking HO, it was an incredible lead capable to set up 2 layer of spikes and using Endeavor when i got to low HP (I didn't put EVs in HP, Def and SpD for having low hp faster). You can change the 4th move if you need to. I prefear TSpikes for the poison, but Protect is good too if you need to scout moves

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
ALT: Tiziano Ruggine

Pokemon:
Electrike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flamethrower
- Switcheroo

Chinchou without a water move, but it gets switcheroo and flamethrower, very interesting imo.

Last edited:
ALT: Simply a simpleton

Bidoof @ Berry Juice
EVs: 44 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Thief
- Curse

ALT: hazardous bugs

Venipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Protect

SamuelTheBest

Banned deucer.
Alt:BidoofCapiscoh
Pokemon:
Bidoof @ Berry juice
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Curse
- Thief

Last edited:
Alt: Avalugg Sucks
Pokemon:

Electrike @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Last edited:
Alt: pere amorose
Pokemon: Venipede

Venipede @ Focus Sash
EVs: 236 Atk / 80 Def / 52 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Pin Missile

Last edited:
ALT: Oberon_Q
Mantyke (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 120 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Air Slash

Deadline is next Thursday (20th November)?
Done.

I find Mantyke really bulky, good to endure opponent attack (even without eviolite) and Air Slash/Scald to hit. A good sinergy with scarf Chinchou, this set has also a good combo with "boring" Sub/Toxic.

These are a pair of matches about.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-188969914 vs Eren Yeagar
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-188974694 vs juanen123

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)