Little Cup Research Week

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Little Cup Research Week!
(Taken from Superpowerdude in BW LC)
Approved by macle

Hello! Welcome to Little Cup Research Week (or LCRW) This is a project aimed to discover the potential of Pokemon in Little Cup that may not see the usage they deserve. Each week 3 Pokemon will be chosen and you have a whole week to discuss the Pokemon selected. Here are a few rules when discussing the Pokemon

•Please stay on topic, don't go discussing any pokemon other than the Pokemon selected for the research week. DO NOT use this thread to suggest Pokemon for future research weeks
•When discussing the Pokemon feel free to talk about its strengths, weaknesses and its role in the metagame. Make sure you have a reason behind the things you say about a particular Pokemon. This will help people understand what your are trying to say. Saying something like "I didn't like using Foongus" and giving no reason behind it is unacceptable.

So the 3 Pokémon for Week #1 are Amaura, Foongus, and Hippopotas! also these rounds will last approximately a week so you have a week to discuss these 3 Pokémon and try them out on the ladder!

Amaura is the cutest Pokemon in LC, and it also has a great niche in being an excellent Fletchling switchin. With Meditite gone, do you think it will function much better? Foongus has always been a great Pokemon, although might be less good now that Fletchling rules the metagame. It can pass various status as well as countering Cottonee. Hippopotas is the only Sand setter in LC, and can be a great partner alongside Pokemon such as Drilbur. However, with the Generation 6 weather mechanics, does it still function as greatly? What else can we learn about these Pokémon?

This project will also have a ladder challenge! Feel free to post a new alt and the Pokémon(s) you are using. Anyone that reaches in the 1650s+ will receive "Gold" anyone that reaches 1500 will recieve "Silver" and anyone that reaches 1400 will receive Bronze in the LCRW Hall of Fame. Also your deviation must be 75 or less. I encourage people to post the set they are using when they sign up and after the week is over, it might be fun to post your whole team and how they used the Pokémon(s) in the Research Week.

An example sign-up for the ladder challenge could look like this:

Alt: Superpowerdude
Pokémon: Lickitung @ Eviolite
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SDef
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Wish
- Protect
- Return

That's all that has to be said! Please stick to the rules and enjoy discussing and trying some Pokémon you may of not even thought about testing before.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can pick any one, or any combination of any of them :) so you could try to use a team with just amaura, and the rest of the team, or you could go with all three!

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll go for Hippo, I've been wanting to try sand.

Alt: The 4valanches
Pokemon:

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 Atk / 212 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have been playing recently with a team I built around Amaura and omg this comes out. I also have a Hippo team so might use that team for ladder. Will update this post if I decide to climb the LC ladder...

Question: If I already started laddering on an acc (was doing it for shits and giggles) can I use that acc for this laddering? (If not, I can make another alt)

count me in
Alt: KS3
Pokemon:
Hippopotas @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 5
EVs: 212 Def / 20 SDef / 180 Atk / 52 HP / 44 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Tomb
- Protect

best evidence that i remembered to get:
http://i.gyazo.com/b73b6bfd950bff61fcbf5f41f4e7bc73.png

EDIT: can gold be 1600+ because 1650 is insane, at the time of writing only zeriloa is past 1650 on the whole ladder lol

Last edited:
Alt: amaurasux
Rank -
Pokemon: Amaura
Amaura @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 232 Spd / 224 SAtk / 16 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
I havev been using Amaura since forever, so obviously I'll pick this one.

Alt: FuckingCasul
Pokemon:
Amaura (F) @ Berry Juice
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 SDef / 200 Def / 224 SAtk / 68 HP
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Thunder Wave
- Ancient Power

As to Nightmare Vampire 's question, you are permitted to post an alt at any time, and even permitted to edit. I would prefer people use fresh alts however

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alt: - Bulky Voltorb
Pokemon:

Ice Dragon (Amaura) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 200 Def / 60 HP / 224 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Ancient Power
- Thunder Wave

Camel (Hippopotas) @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 212 Def / 180 SDef / 100 Atk
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I've been playing around with Amaura and Foongus on a team recently so this is convenient.

Anyway, I'm not gonna bother laddering because I don't care and I'd rather this thread be about discussion of mons - if anyone actually bothers to ladder btw please post about your experiences.

So Amaura - I've been using this set:
Amaura @ Berry Juice
EVs: 224 SAtk / 60 HP / 200 Def / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Ancient Power
- Thunder Wave

With the popularity of Fletchling, Amaura is pretty good right now. Thunder Wave is a fantastic move, allowing it to cripple so many Pokemon such as Pawniard switch-ins and Mienfoo switch-ins. If Pawniard switches into Thunder Wave you can just take it out straight away with HP Fight. Ancient Power is a bit useless most of the time, since spamming Nature Power is usually the best option, but it does hit Chinchou neutrally - speaking of Chinchou that's what really lets Amaura down as it basically hard walls it. If you're going to use Amaura please consider Chinchou lures or at least have strong checks to it. Entry Hazards really help wear it down because if you manage to get Amaura in the battle enough, Chinchou might end up switching in a lot.

Another set you can use, which tbf I've only been theorymonning is the standard scarf set. The reason I've been considering this a lot is because it provides a Flying-resist that isn't beaten by FletchDig. (unless diglett has sash but rocks are easy to put up). Since Amaura outspeed Diglett it can just OHKO and ruin the purpose of FletchDig.

Anyway, as for Foongus, I've only been using standard shit for this guy with a set of Spore/Stun Spore/Giga Drain/Clear Smog. Obviously other moves can be used, usually Sludge Bomb>Clear Smog or Hidden Power Fire/Fight>Stun Spore. Anyway, I think Foongus is amazing right now, simply due to the rise in Cottonee and it's ability to hard wall it.. It works as an amazing pivot able to check so many things like Grass types, fighting-types fairy-types and water types, crippling the switch in and then switching out again. It faces masses of competition from Cottonee however so you really have to play to Foongus's advantages. Foongus works best if you need to check things for a longer period of time, often on Bulky Offense teams. Due to Cottonee's lack of recovery, it can't do this for as long so it works better on more fast-paced offensive teams. Foongus is also better used if you lack a way to deal with Cottonee or Spritzee. I'm using a team with Chinchou/Drilbur/Mienfoo so Cottonee is a mon that I really need to be able to deal with more, hence my choice of Foongus. As for using Foongus, you need strong Vullaby counters since Vullaby hardwalls this guy. Sludge Bomb is a good move on it as having a 30% chance to poison vullaby really helps.

I might test out Hippo soon, creating a stallish team - I don't think offensive sand will ever work in this meta

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
Since everyone seems to be avoiding it, I'll try myself some Foongus. I'll edit this post and add more information later.

Alt: Lord Elron
Pokémon: Foongus
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 SpD
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
alphose I think your foongus spread might be off
try 124 HP/156 Def/156 SpD; I don't think you can run 236 points in a stat twice

I'll be tryin out Amaura. (even tho I already used it before .-.)
Alt: Magnet Kirby
Pokemon:
(Ferris) Amaura @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refridgerate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 SpA/52 SpD/232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Ancientpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Ground)

Last edited:
Alt: DracoMastrSmodrone

Pokemon:

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 SDef / 32 Def
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gonna try a more offensive Foongus!

Capture.PNG

so this is how i did with amaura. i wasn't too impressed tbh, it really didn't pull its weight, and i feel like even scarf snover would be better at cleaning once ice resists are removed. it can't ohko much and its terrible defensive typing means it usually doesn't live to get the 2hko. maybe the berry juice set is better, but scarf just doesn't have much of a niche in this meta (rip murkrow)

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
BulkyVoltorb.PNG

I think I did fairly well since my team should not have worked at all with its compound water and fighting weaknesses. Amaura was rather underwhelming, yet it did save me from Ziggy, Missy, Vullaby, and once Magnemite. I found Meowth was able to basically fill Amaura's role as a way to deal with bird spam in every way other than forcing out the opposing mon. I would love to try scarf or specs again but I never got around to that this time.

On the other hand, Hippopotas was able to do its purpose about 80%. It rarely lived long as Drilbur liked the free switch-in after Hippopotas fainted, but Hippopotas somehow was more useful than Amaura. I still have yet to think it can work as a wall in the current meta however.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
I tried running a more bulky and offensive Foongus instead of the regular full bulk that I see. Although it was occasionally really helpful, I've never much liked Foongus and I have to say that I still wouldn't use it given the choice.

However, Foongus provided a reliable switch-in for any Fighting-types that I switched into. Considering how often one sees Mienfoo, Timburr, and Scraggy, that's pretty damn useful. On top of that, if the team didn't have a cleric, which most don't, the enemy generally had to sacrifice one of their Pokemon to the god that is Spore.

Also, I didn't have enough time to make it to 1500. Cause I'm lazy. Yeah.

Attachments

lol you guys probably saw my dumb team at some point on the ladder:
TRIPLE WEATHER HOOOOOOOOO

Drilbur @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 212 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

sand sweeper. kills stuff, dies to dumb priority like acrobatics and life orb sucker punch. does most of the work really.

Hippopotas @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 44 HP / 180 Atk / 88 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Tomb
- Protect

the hippo. sets up sandstorm, it's intended to die quick because it's holding smooth rock not evio so it's frail anyways. didn't give it slack off because i never find the time to use it since i want to bring out drilbur as soon as i can. protect is for trolling hi jump kicks.

Snover @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 196 Spd / 180 Atk / 132 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Wood Hammer

idk what this is. i guess it can kill fletchling if it becomes +2 with ice shard and vulpix quick attack after rocks. occasionally it can sweep a bit with blizzzard and wood hammer. hp ground is there to troll magnemites.

Vulpix @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 236 Spd / 196 SAtk / 76 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- Overheat
- Quick Attack
- Flamethrower

sun setter, specs for massive damage for fun times

Bellsprout @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 Spd / 196 SAtk / 116 Atk
Rash Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

my sun sweeper. sashed him to beat up pikasohn's scarfbra and other fletchlings as a last resort i guess

NO FLETCHLING (Onix) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

hazards setter, SR breaks sturdy mons and sashes for the sweepers. it's normally my fletchling counter but since im dumb i always let it die second turn to get rocks up. i run a cookie cutter set because why not, it kills certain mons and stuff so it seems to work well i guess.

i can't believe i got up that high with my awful team building skills. threats to this include swords dance fletch, life orb pawn and fake out mienfoos for stalling all the weather.

TCR how dare you steal my thread 9.9

Joking aside I have been using Foongus on the alt Superpowerdude69

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 76 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Foongus was great in B/W and it looks to be pretty good in x/y with its ability to wall fairy types in LC. I think Sludge Bomb is more popular than it was in b/w now because of the damage it does to fairies. Clear Smog isn't really preferred anymore. It was good in b/w when you would have fighting types like timburr able to set up on you after sleep clause but with Flecthling around Bulk Up isn't as common as Timburr anyway. Hidden Power [Fire] may look stupid and it kinda is, it is more specefic to my team rather than your standard foongus set its because my team doesn't have much for Ferroseed and at least with Hp fire I can lure in Ferroseeds and do some damage. I already have another mon with Twave so I can forget Stun Spore for it. Yeah I think people like Foongus because of its handy resitances to things like fairy, water and fighting letting it last a while in battle along with Regen and Spore would have to be one of the top moves in the game imo just cripples so much threats.

Thanks for starting this project up again TCR good job!

EDIT: Did shit on the ladder, forgot how to play lc so w/e but I did notice that Knock Off users really hurt Foongus this gen. They are every where and If Foongus takes a Knock Off early into the game it really helps with wearing it down even with Regen. Also With Sand not being everywhere anymore Foongus loses one of its defensive roles as it did pretty good against these teams. The only other thing I can think about which hampers Foongus's preformance in x/y LC is the mechanics changing to allow grass-types immunity to Spore moves. Landing a Spore on a Lileep on a sand team makes Foongus almost unstoppable vs the rest of the team (exaggeration) and getting a Spore on something like Ferroseed was also neat. Staryu seems to not be used much? Which Foongus was very great at countering too. Pokemon Like Trubbish may also rival for a team slot since it is immune to knock off because Sticky Hold and it has Drain Punch so Pawnaird doesn't just set up on it.

With that said Foongus still shines for its ability to counter the new Fairy types and still find a great supportive role on teams but it is struggling more than last gen imo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)