BW LC Little Cup

Intro:
This is my team, which I've had for a while now. I think I started using the earliest version of what I consider to be it since last suspect test (I had Lickitung over Stunky at that time, but as soon as Vulpix was banned I replaced Lickitung). I plan on using versions of this team for a good while longer, however it will probably be changing quite a lot as it is structured quite fluidly.

That being said, the way I structured this team is as follows: Dwebble, 4 Pokemon core to check the big threats, 1 filler Pokemon to take on whatever is left or provide offensive presence. I suppose Dwebble will never be replaceable, simply because it is the best at what it does and until entry hazards become ineffective (or somehow just Dwebble becomes ineffective), I will continue to use it. The big threats in this metagame are obviously the suspects... after this round we'll see what the 'new' big threats are.

Thanks a ton to Fate for the pictures, you guys should all go Luvdisc this art thread as it is very close to holding the record of most Luv'd. Also there are some pretty pictures there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Team:
[a]Dwebble[/a]

Dwebble @ Oran Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Dwebble is on my team to do what it does best--lay down entry hazards as fast as possible. This team is fairly defensive in nature and I switch quite frequently to force the opponent's threats out, so entry hazards are very important in most matches. In some matches, they aren't as important though, and Dwebble is just death fodder, or is used to help check Carvanha or something similar.

The set is standard and for the most part self-explanatory. Toxic, the only move that actually requires explanation, is used in situations where I feel that badly poisoning a threat is a better option than getting up another layer of hazards. I often use it on Misdreavus to help make Stunky's job easier, and occasionally on Gligar.

---
[a]Slowpoke[/a]

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Slowpoke is the first part of my "core", and helps to combat Timburr, Meditite, Gligar, and a variety of other physical attackers. Slowpoke is generally a catch-all for when nothing else can handle a threat, and is usually my first switch into most physical Pokemon, because it can afford to take a hit due to Regeneration.

The 'standard' Slowpoke has a ton of options, so I may as well explain why I chose these moves. Toxic is staple for me--I constantly find myself building bulky/balanced teams in Little Cup, and I constantly find myself playing teams like that, and Toxic works to give me an edge against them. Scald may seem slightly weird in conjunction with Toxic, but they are used against mostly different opponents, so I rarely worry about accidentally burning something that I meant to Toxic (maybe opposing Slowpoke that come in to tank a hit?). It is a better move against Gligar than Surf, as it still 2HKOes the standard Eviolite Gligar, but a chance to burn is much better than the slight increase in power if Gligar attempts to stall out PP or go for Sand Veil hax or something. Scald also helps me to threaten Pokemon like Carvanha and Scraggy in a pinch, as opposed to not being able to do anything. Psychic helps to put a chokehold on Timburr, who I don't have a solid answer to otherwise, and helps with opposing Mienfoo lategame, as well as various other Pokemon.

---
[a]Mienfoo[/a]

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Toxic

The second part of my core. Mienfoo basically ensures that I don't have issues with Scraggy, and it helps to reduce what would otherwise be a pretty big Carvanha weakness. Many people say that Mienfoo doesn't really beat Scraggy if it uses Dragon Dance twice, and they are right.... if Mienfoo doesn't run 18 Attack (or lacks Fake Out). I was actually aware of that ever since I started using the set and for a while I ran 17 Attack anyways, but eventually people caught on and wizened up I was forced to switch back to 18 Attack or continually lose to good Scraggy players. I miss having the extra Speed point, as it is very helpful to have a guaranteed Taunt against Dwebble leads, but 'oh well'.

As I just alluded to, the main reason I have Taunt over Payback or Fake Out is to stop opposing Dwebble and Ferroseed from getting lots of hazards up. Mienfoo can only check Carvanha solidly if it is above 18 HP (max 21), so if the opponent gets more than a layer or two of hazards up, I am really in a bind, and will be forced to wear Carvanha down with other means. The other moves are entirely standard on Mienfoo. I suppose I could drop Toxic for Fake Out and then switch back to 17 Speed.... but I don't particularly want to?
---
[a]Stunky[/a]

Stunky @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Explosion

Stunky is the third part of the core, 'and is only on the team to help deal with Misdreavus'. That, however, doesn't stop it from doing much more for my team, such as providing strong priority, being a secondary Carvanha check, having Explosion to remove random Pokemon, etc. Basically, while taking out Misdreavus is of first-and-foremost importance, Stunky can do other things in a pinch, even if it doesn't get to every match.

I'm running all three Dark moves because it is needed to properly slam Misdreavus. Most Misdreavus have Will-O-Wisp, and Stunky cannot reliably take those versions out without Crunch. Explosion was chosen as the last slot because I didn't want to give Pokemon like Scraggy. It also allows me to take out an opposing Pokemon when I feel that Stunky has nothing else to offer against the opposing team. I am running a slow, bulky Stunky to help against Misdreavus. I've found Speed to be generally useless for Stunky anyways, all it would really help for would be ensuring a faster Explosion against Meditite or other similar Pokemon. Attack is maximized because I wanted to hit as hard as possible, and then I just made Stunky as bulky as I could.
---
[a]Misdreavus[/a]

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Will-O-Wisp

As the final part of my core, Misdreavus helps to take on Fighting-types in case Slowpoke fails, and provides an offensive presence for my team. Nasty Plot/Will-O-Wisp Misdreavus may seem strange, but it is effective in this metagame. Against teams without Stunky, I have a powerful sweeper that can clean up when I need it to, and against teams with Stunky, it is not complete deadweight. I have considered removing Nasty Plot for something like Taunt or Icy Wind, but I like having an actual sweeper on this team and Nasty Plot allows Misdreavus to be that.

Max Speed and Special Attack may not be the best, but I appreciate having a 19-speeder when things go wrong against Gligar, as it turns an 100% loss into a 50% one. If I end up removing Nasty Plot, I may be more inclined to running a less offensive EV spread.

---
[a]Snover[/a]

Snover @ Eviolite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 36 HP / 184 Atk / 36 Def / 184 SpA / 40 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power Fire

This is..... not so standard. I honestly whipped it up randomly after Acrobatics Gligar started becoming more popular, because I needed a Pokemon that could help to check Gligar while also being a good switch in to Staryu and other Water-types. I was hesitant to use Snover initially, but it is a fantastic fit for the team. It really eats up 'Sandstorm' teams, being able to easily destroy Hippopotas, Drilbur, Gligar, Ferroseed, and Lileep. Most battles against teams like that just involve taking out the one or two Pokemon that can beat Snover and then just spamming Blizzard and Giga Drain. Its ability to bluff a Choice Scarf allows it to occasionally get nice surprise kills against random Pokemon as well, which is another nice plus (although now that I've battled everyone in the tier a few times and am posting this team I guess that is slightly irrelevant!).

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
this is / was (the team structure will probably be vastly different after this suspect round) probably one of the first 'dominant' 5th gen lc teams that ive seen thus far, so congrats on that. it's incredibly solid and is shaped to handle the current metagame extremely well. i do spot a small weakness to powerful special attackers like houndour and snover (especially with mienfoo not running max speed to tie with dour), but the only thing i can think of to remedy this while not messing with your synergy too much is maybe an eviolite houndour of your own over stunky. the problem with this though is that you now have 2 sr weaks, making your team even more weak to hazards, and have a less reliable offensive missy counter with the trade off of having a better bulky missy counter. this will probably make the team weaker as whole though and you can probably deal with the aforementioned threats through smart play anyways, so im hesitant to actually suggest taking out stunky. again, great team and good luck with whatever form of it you decide to continue using next round!

EPIC team. Fatty already explained the Houndour weakness, but tbh every team has that issue. And I don't think this team is that weak to Dour, because Slowpoke Scalds, Dwebble Rock Blasts, Misdreavus uses HP Fight, Stunky explodes, etc. It can really only get a "free switch" on Snover, but even then, Blizzard does like 50%. I think the only thing that might change here is Slowpoke's spread. Instead of using 196 HP/236 Def/36 SDef you can use 196 HP/156 Def/116 SDef; with the both spreads you'll take the same damage from Meditite's, Timburr's and Gligar's attacks, but you'll get 2 more points on your special defense.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
nstead of using 196 HP/236 Def/36 SDef you can use 196 HP/156 Def/116 SDef; with the both spreads you'll take the same damage from Meditite's, Timburr's and Gligar's attacks, but you'll get 2 more points on your special defense.
I'm agreeing with Blue Star that the EVs you currently have are not optimal, but that's still not the best spread. Currently, the one you have trades an HP EV for an Eviolite SpD #, and while it isn't THAT significant, it's better that you transfer the EV point. Especially since recovery rounds up and not down, so whether you have 27 HP or 28 HP, you still recover 14 HP. I'm not sure if this even helps with switching into Stealth Rock vs a +2 FG Acrobatics Gligar (does 25 damage on average) as I think SR does 3 damage anyway.

The 17 defense prevents being 2hko'd on average from +2 FG Acro from Gligar and making Meditite's Tpunch only do 14 Damage, which can be fully Slack Off'd. While it also makes 36 Attack Meditite's TPunch also do 12 Damage on average, instead of 14. The spread should be this:

EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 116 SDef

Btw, amazing team, I've faced it many times and you usually come out on top, especially since your team is an anti-meta one :P.

Nice looking team =)

were did you get those cool "crayon" drawings?

this is / was (the team structure will probably be vastly different after this suspect round) probably one of the first 'dominant' 5th gen lc teams that ive seen thus far, so congrats on that. it's incredibly solid and is shaped to handle the current metagame extremely well. i do spot a small weakness to powerful special attackers like houndour and snover (especially with mienfoo not running max speed to tie with dour), but the only thing i can think of to remedy this while not messing with your synergy too much is maybe an eviolite houndour of your own over stunky. the problem with this though is that you now have 2 sr weaks, making your team even more weak to hazards, and have a less reliable offensive missy counter with the trade off of having a better bulky missy counter. this will probably make the team weaker as whole though and you can probably deal with the aforementioned threats through smart play anyways, so im hesitant to actually suggest taking out stunky. again, great team and good luck with whatever form of it you decide to continue using next round!
I have no reason to quote you, I just wanted to see it say "FAT fatty" :naughty:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)