(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

This can just be swept under the umbrella of "unwanted forced tutorials". It's okay these tutorials exist, the problem is they're forced upon you and you can't skip through them. I have this same problem with ORAS's Super Contests and SM's Battle Royal, they force you into a tutorial for a side feature which I may have no interest in or would rather do later when I'm more prepared.
at least super contests and battle royale are still playable

but i do hate all the forced tutorials lol

Does anyone know how to take your Pokémon out once a competition is over? I can't seem to unlock them, even though the competition done. It can't be Online Competition, can it, because it's undergoing maintenance.

Does anyone know how to take your Pokémon out once a competition is over? I can't seem to unlock them, even though the competition done. It can't be Online Competition, can it, because it's undergoing maintenance.
Well, you'll have to wait until maintenance is over.

Go there, and it will tell you the tournament is over.

Talking about online battles, a minor annoyance is that, while I understand it doesn't show your opponent Pokemon's nicknames "just in case", there's no excuse for not showing your own Pokemon's nicknames either. It's not like the opponent's going to see them.

Well, you'll have to wait until maintenance is over.

Go there, and it will tell you the tournament is over.

Talking about online battles, a minor annoyance is that, while I understand it doesn't show your opponent Pokemon's nicknames "just in case", there's no excuse for not showing your own Pokemon's nicknames either. It's not like the opponent's going to see them.
They just have to do maintenance the first chance I have to get on! How fucking annoying, having to wait until tomorrow!

And I actually would prefer if I could see my opponent's.

Another annoyance is that 2 out of three times, someone's internet cut out. Can't be mine though, since it worked fine in Alpha Sapphire. Maybe that's what the maintenance is about. But it still counted them, so I should get my Mega Stones. I hope.

I was curious as to the current state of each game in terms of pokemon ratios, on their own, if you were to play them now after everything went down. For the sake of me not wanting to cross reference, I'm just lumping version exclusives together & assuming you cant access the mythicals. Also ignoring the whole thing of "you only really get one starter so and there's fossils..." so just pretend the pairs are lumped together somehow. I'll make a note if there's anything especially notable.

GEN 2
GSC: 232/251
An excellent start! The only ones that absolutely require gen 1 games are the starters, the gen 1 legends, celebi and kabuto/omanyte lines. I think Crystal might have a few more "version exclusive" issues but they're negligible at this point.

GEN 3
RS: 200/386
oofa doofa. We all know how this went down, though. Vast majority of these are gen 1s followed by gen 2s which were split across 5 games. I would aruge that gen 3 is worse for this than gen 7 is/will be solely because its split across up to 5 different games to get the full set. what nonsense.

FRLG: 208/386
Surprisingly more than RS! But barely. FRLG had a bunch of events just never released, either, so this number was barely higher during its spported lifetime. You can not under any circumstances evolve Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon while in FRLG. You MUST trade them to RSE to evolve. The only RSE pokemon you can get are Azuril & Wynaut (& Deoxys through the event ticket). The legendary beasts are only available in these two games without Colosseum and you only get one so that's a little extra annoyance but I'm ignoring it for the totals like the starters.

Emerald: 225/386
I'm separated Emerald out because it added some new safari areas (and a few misc post game things). As such I subtracted the 7 RS exclusives. I'm not counting the Johto starters you can get because that requirse completing the Hoenn Dex which is impossible if you're just on its own.

GEN 4
DP: 401 (381)/493
Pretty good! Note that I'm discounting the dongle method since that requires a specific DS model AND a gen 3 (notably al of them game, RSE give 6 each, FRLG give TEN each). Tangela & Tropius are the weirdos who you can get in any way outside pal park and by extension that means no Tangrowth; you also cant get Regigigas since it requires the Regi from RSE. Still, Swarms and PokeRadar really pulling their weight here! The parenthesis number is because serebii's unobtainable list (which forgets Tangrowth... and counts the new mythicals) listed the per-game number off hand. Just there for reference!

Platinum: 397/493
It expanded the normal pokedex, made some of the gba inserts available normally, changed up the unavailables that were available earlier. Lower than DP as a whole, but more than each one separately. A quick note that Rotom's formes are also completely unavailable and have been for a long, long time since the key event was only ran like twice.

HGSS: 451/493
Hot diggity! The only notables missing are gen 4 starters, and all non gen 1/2 legendaries and mythicals. Except wait, no because a large swath of these (that i did not even remotely want to count out) are only available through the pokewalker and the safari. BEcause to get every possible pokemon out of the game(s) you NEED to spend HUNDREDS OF DAYS that you can't cheat at leveling up specific blocks in the safari in certain positions. So it's there, I guess, but how many of those will you actually see? Subtract ~21 if you got HGSS but without the pokewalker. Magnezone, Probopass, Lefeaon & Glaceon are completely unavailable for no goood reason. also do you like unown no reasons just thought id ask

GEN 5
BW1: 473/649
BUT WAIT NO
Because White 1 specifically has the atrocious White Forest Mechanic which can give up to 97 pokemon but this requires speed running the game multiple times to POSSIBLY get like 12 families and it is near impossible to game this system to get more pokemon out of it. It's bad. Everything is bad. I am not counting it
376/649
The dream world ceasing to exist hit this game hard. Otherwise pretty much every normal pokemon was available. Note that Zorua & Zoroark aren't available because they require one of the 4 Zoroark movie events from Gen 4 to get or someone to breed them for you. Also the Stunky & Glameow lines have not been available since DP.

BW2: 483/649
A significant step up considering I didnt have to cut out almost 100 pokemon. The absurd Yancy sidequest lets you get a ton of pokemon which always helps. Do note however, that even between the 2 sets of gen 5 games, there's still a random assortment of normal pokemon otherwise unavailable. Did you know that Pikachu's entire family was never in the wild in either games? It wasn't even made available through the dreamworld, it was only given away via wi-fi events. You're given N's Zorua though, so you at least get that. A sad note: Zen Mode Darmanitan is only available if you Memory Link with BW1. BW2 also had access to the (still available) Dream Radar, which I wasn't counting here, but let you get a few odds and ends and assorted legendaries.

GEN 6
XY: 454/721
Just excise that friend safari entirely its a far off mystery zone where you're trying to complete the pokedex without wifi and I doubt you know a hundred people to fill that friend list locally. Lots of random pokemon completely unavailable even with friend safari, incidentally. Still, over half, pretty solid.

ORAS: 479/721
Despite the tiny dex offering in the main game, it really opens itself up with all those islands and a huuuuge influx of legendary pokemon and starter pokemon from other regions. Its still only over half, but it was designed as a compliment to XY. Also the first games since HGSS that lets you GET UNOWN. Unown was NEVER available in the dream world and NEVER given out as an event and NEVER available in the friend safari; if you wanted to complete it in gen 5 you needed poketransfer and if you watned to get it in XY (before ORAS were out) you needed to poketransfer to gen 5 then pokebank to gen 6. Absolutely absurd.

and thus...
SM: 384/802
Not even half, which is genuinely impressive on multiple levels. What you see in the dex is what you get + the 84 island scan pokemon. Its still a sizable amount of pokemon, but its a really baffling decision to not even at least include half of them. There's not even a dream world or anything. "Stars" or w/e is next will be interesting to see if they're going to continue this course or up the count by a sizable margin. Maybe this will just be their weird plan moving forward...? It is pretty significant that they shifted the national dex out of the game entirely and don't even acknowledge that you might have every pokemon outside the alola dex.

Upon reading the post immediately above one, I realized something I didn't notice until just now.

There are no snake Pokemon introduced in Gen VII, when every other odd generation introduced at least one. Even worse, there are no snake Pokemon at all in the Alola Pokedex.

Disappointing.

If another Alola game is released, I think I'm doing a playthrough with snake breedjects.

Upon reading the post immediately above one, I realized something I didn't notice until just now.

There are no snake Pokemon introduced in Gen VII, when every other odd generation introduced at least one. Even worse, there are no snake Pokemon at all in the Alola Pokedex.

Disappointing.

If another Alola game is released, I think I'm doing a playthrough with snake breedjects.
Isn't that because Hawaii doesn't have any snakes, at all? I don't know how true that actually is, but it's what I've read accross the interwebs.
I wouldn't call it disappointing when it shouldn't be expected to begin with tbh.

Disappointing.

Zygarde is a snake, and it's in the alola dex.

By the way, I did som searching, and according to bulbapedia, Chargabug, Pallossand, Pyukumuku and Mimikyu all have the serpentine body style. A fucking sandcastle is a snake now apparently. And I thought Forretress being in the purple body colour was ridiculous.

Isn't that because Hawaii doesn't have any snakes, at all? I don't know how true that actually is, but it's what I've read accross the interwebs.
I wouldn't call it disappointing when it shouldn't be expected to begin with tbh.
Honestly just because a region is based in a specific location does not mean that certain types of Pokemon should be cut out of design. Not everything needs to be based off something Hawaiian and not everything needs to make perfect sense with the region. I'd rather have a greater variety of Pokemon designs than being limited by flavour.

also invasive species could work flavour wise regardless

Honestly just because a region is based in a specific location does not mean that certain types of Pokemon should be cut out of design. Not everything needs to be based off something Hawaiian and not everything needs to make perfect sense with the region. I'd rather have a greater variety of Pokemon designs than being limited by flavour.

also invasive species could work flavour wise regardless
zebras live in new york/jersey apparently

Well it doesn't have Koalas either but look where we are now.
That's different. Koalas aren't actually illegal like snakes are in Hawaii, so it goes beyond something so dumb as "x doesn't exist there irl, so the game can't have it". That's an actual law, hence why "No Snakes in Alola" actually makes sense, thematically speaking at least. Basically, not adding a snake pokemon gives the region more personality than giving it one.

Why do you think Po Town had Ekans drawn all over it? Because snakes are bad and so is Team Skull.

Last edited:
That's different. Koalas aren't actually illegal like snakes are in Hawaii, so it goes beyond something so dumb as "x doesn't exist there irl, so the game can't have it". That's an actual law, hence why "No Snakes in Alola" actually makes sense, thematically speaking at least. Basically, not adding a snake pokemon gives the region more personality than giving it one.

Why do you think Po Town had Ekans drawn all over it? Because snakes are bad and so is Team Skull.
That's actually quite neat IMO. Nice attention to detail I never knew about.

I have another annoyance: lack of a Lucky Egg or EXP O-powers. The O-powers were especially useful for raising additional team members. Now I'm finding it overly difficult to keep up with the training of all of the Pokémon I've caught or brought with me. Chances has it, many will end up not having their training completed as I switch to breeding and getting items in the post-game.

And speaking of which, there are areas like the Battle Chateau where I can level up quickly in the post-game? Right?

Oh, and new rule: it must be possible to earn Shell Bells in every new game. I don't like how my go-to item has been Z-Crystals. I mean, sure they didn't heal much damage, but at least they did something in every battle. Hooray for Leftovers being a wild item! Boo for it being so damned rare, and taking about an hour to find each!

I have another annoyance: lack of a Lucky Egg or EXP O-powers. The O-powers were especially useful for raising additional team members. Now I'm finding it overly difficult to keep up with the training of all of the Pokémon I've caught or brought with me. Chances has it, many will end up not having their training completed as I switch to breeding and getting items in the post-game.

And speaking of which, there are areas like the Battle Chateau where I can level up quickly in the post-game? Right?

Oh, and new rule: it must be possible to earn Shell Bells in every new game. I don't like how my go-to item has been Z-Crystals. I mean, sure they didn't heal much damage, but at least they did something in every battle. Hooray for Leftovers being a wild item! Boo for it being so damned rare, and taking about an hour to find each!
I have a lucky egg in my game. You can get one at the prof's house I think

I just realized something that didn't irk me before I realized it, so now I can't stop thinking about it (ugh, why must life work like this). Ethers.

Why are they so rare? Why can't I just buy them in the shop? I honestly can't find a valid reason. If it has something to do with game balance it would that would be dumb, because the in-game isn't balanced anyway.

It irks me because some pokemon kind of have to use a certain low pp move to be usable, and it's really annoying that you have to fly all the way back to a pokemon center every time that move runs low on pp. For example, Magcargo's only decent special rock-type move is ancientpower. Obviously, acientpower isn't very strong but it's still good enough to get Magcargo through the first half of the game until it gets earth power (in HG/SS). However, ancientpower has 5 pp, 8 with pp-ups which is still very low. Because you can't just pop an ether before any battle, magcargo can become annoying to use because you have to use ancientpower very sparingly.

In the newer gens this isn't much of a problem because most pokemon have multiple stab choices, but in the older gens where every pokemon had maybe 2 options per stab move, the problem becomes obvious, sometimes frustratingly so. Like, a special ice type had two choices for a stab move, ice beam and blizzard. Both have pretty bad pp, so you can see why it can be annoying that you can't just buy ethers.

I just realized something that didn't irk me before I realized it, so now I can't stop thinking about it (ugh, why must life work like this). Ethers.

Why are they so rare? Why can't I just buy them in the shop? I honestly can't find a valid reason. If it has something to do with game balance it would that would be dumb, because the in-game isn't balanced anyway.

It irks me because some pokemon kind of have to use a certain low pp move to be usable, and it's really annoying that you have to fly all the way back to a pokemon center every time that move runs low on pp. For example, Magcargo's only decent special rock-type move is ancientpower. Obviously, acientpower isn't very strong but it's still good enough to get Magcargo through the first half of the game until it gets earth power (in HG/SS). However, ancientpower has 5 pp, 8 with pp-ups which is still very low. Because you can't just pop an ether before any battle, magcargo can become annoying to use because you have to use ancientpower very sparingly.

In the newer gens this isn't much of a problem because most pokemon have multiple stab choices, but in the older gens where every pokemon had maybe 2 options per stab move, the problem becomes obvious, sometimes frustratingly so. Like, a special ice type had two choices for a stab move, ice beam and blizzard. Both have pretty bad pp, so you can see why it can be annoying that you can't just buy ethers.
Thank goodness Leppa Berries are ridiculously easy to farm in Sun and Moon... but PP-restoration items shouldn't be "too awesome to use" in later generations.

I have the same feeling about PP Up. It's not even purchaseable with BP, unlike other Vitamins, which does not make sense as you'd want to use them on competitive Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

You get Lucky Egg from Professor Kukui... post game. POST GAME. WHY? Why are you keeping the Lukcy Egg post game? One of the most useful training items, I would dare say an essential trainer tool, and you're keeping it post game?

Don't know why they removed O-Powers/didn't replace it with something else. Sure, since you removed the PSS you can't use it like we did in Gen VI but that doesn't mean you should completely remove it. Like make it a part of Island Scan. If you want the interactive component you can have us able to upgrade the perks via talking with trainers in the Festival Plaza.

Actually you could have gotten the Shel Bell early: after defeating Hala go speak with the woman behind the desk in Hau'oli City Hall and then to the Delibird beside it. It'll give you a Shell Bell. Admittedly a bit cryptic since you probably wouldn't think to do another lap around an island to talk with NPCs after defeating the Kahuna, but there is some changes that happened.

Thank goodness Leppa Berries are ridiculously easy to farm in Sun and Moon... but PP-restoration items shouldn't be "too awesome to use" in later generations.

I have the same feeling about PP Up. It's not even purchaseable with BP, unlike other Vitamins, which does not make sense as you'd want to use them on competitive Pokemon.
Yeah, Leppa Berries made Ethers being rare redundant. Might as well just consider Ethers money fodder at this point (until they decide to put them in marts).

Can you get multiple PP Up/Max from the receptionist after 10/40 wins or is that just a one time thing? Eitherway should be available with the other vitamins, buyable with Pokedollars or Battle Points.

You get Lucky Egg from Professor Kukui... post game. POST GAME. WHY? Why are you keeping the Lukcy Egg post game? One of the most useful training items, I would dare say an essential trainer tool, and you're keeping it post game?
Even worse, Chansey (the traditional Lucky Egg carrier) and Pelipper (could carry Lucky Eggs in ORAS) are available in the wild, yet neither can hold that item.

I have a lucky egg in my game. You can get one at the prof's house I think
Yes, POST-GAME! I want the damned thing now!!!

Give a boy or girl a Leppa berry and place to grow them, and he or she will be set for life. At this point, Ethers are kinda worthless once you have a whole bunch of them.

Yeaaah, the lack of Ethers in shops is really weird and it always shocks people when they realise in my experiences. It's such a basic thing you'd think it'd be available; it's not exactly some godly form of recovery like Sacred Ash, it... it just restores some PP.
Max Elixirs? Sure, okay; restoring all your PP of all your moves in one turn I can kinda see why you'd want to limit how many you can get. But Ethers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)