(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

On the upside, ORAS gave them to you at level 10 or 15, which combined with the new XP mechanics made things significantly easier for the folks who wanted a Gyarados.

On that subject, Tentacool. Let's say you want one. You can fish one up in Dewford at a reasonable 35% catch rate, which is especially nice because of the Fighting gym there. Problem is, it comes at level...five. Considering that depending on your game situation this is the first decent Water-type you can get (if you have Ruby and did not pick Mudkip), that's kind of a problem. Supersonic and Poison Sting, later supplemented by Wrap and freaking Constrict, the worst attack in the entire National Dex. Oh, sure, you get Acid and Water Pulse eventually, but it's a loooong grind to get to a decent level, especially if the rest of your team is adequately-leveled for Brawly. If you don't need a Water-type, don't bother--there's Zubat right in the cave.

Also, Constrict's very existence annoys me.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, are we complaining about filling out the dex? May I join in:

Fishing: Well this was slapped together. Okay, I get that since we're not on a grid anymore that you'd have to change how fishing works (though you had no problem with Lapras and Sharpedo so why is fishing confined to a few fishing spots?) but did you really have to make Magikarp so Arceus damn common EVERYWHERE? Okay, I get it, Magikarp can survive anywhere, can I please get the Pokemon I actually want you only gave a 10% or 5% chance of catching in special spots (otherwise they only have a 1% chance)? Geez.

SOS Battles:
It was bad enough that when catching a Pokemon they could sometimes call help so I had to keep on knocking out the ally until they fail to call one (couldn't the Poke Ball just transport into the PC if you don't want to explain how the trainer got the Poke Ball back?), but now you have some Pokemon who can only appear via an SOS summon?! And on top of that for some Pokemon to be summonable they need another factor like a type of weather! Are you trying to make us hate this new mechanic?

Self KO Moves: I finally got around to catching a Minior. Would have during the main game when I first had the chance to but it always kept self-destructing and I think it has a high catch rate as it kept breaking out of any Poke Ball I threw at it. Oh, but I got a new one: Riolu. It's a rare encounter, is an SOS Battle, and knows Memento. So you can have the Riolu summon a SOS partner and both can knock themselves out by using Memento. GAH! Voltorb and Electrode knowing those moves made sense at the time, they were suppose to be a trap. But if they're normal wild encounters a Pokemon shouldn't know those moves. Also f*** any Pokemon that heals.

Stone Evolutions: Why does the Stone Shop only sell Fire, Water, Thunder, and Leaf Stones? What about the others? The ones I do need. Yeah I can send my Pokemon in Poke Pelago to look for some but there's no garuntee they'll get the ones I want. At the very least sell them in the BP shop (or make enough findable to evolve every Pokemon that needs one to fill out your dex)!

Trade Evolutions: ~All by myself, I have no one to trade back-and-forth with, all by myself~
Well, my cousin has the game though we only see them on holidays so near the end of the month I can just use her game to get the trade evolutions.

Poke Bank: Though a majority of these problems could have been side stepped if they just made Poke Bank available. They better off a free month of use (or at least let us transfer our Pokemon for free)...

Nobody moaned about the Mega Stones yet? For reasons best known to themselves, Troll Freak randomly decides to make half the Mega Stones unavailable in Alola. Thanks to the Poke Bank not allowing you to transport Items, you don't have access to the Mega Evolutions for at least half a generation. Thanks Troll Freak and also thanks for not giving us new Mega Evolutions so that you can focus on the new toy - Z-Moves.

Nobody moaned about the Mega Stones yet? For reasons best known to themselves, Troll Freak randomly decides to make half the Mega Stones unavailable in Alola. Thanks to the Poke Bank not allowing you to transport Items, you don't have access to the Mega Evolutions for at least half a generation. Thanks Troll Freak and also thanks for not giving us new Mega Evolutions so that you can focus on the new toy - Z-Moves.
Talking of Mega Stones; it's already pretty ludicrous that many evolution items are locked behind BP shops (or the unreliable pelago), but now they make all the Mega Stones but Alakazite locked behind them too? And not only that, but you make four of them - which you can't even use until January - available only through beating the final boss in the Battle Tree? This is just extremely frustrating especially when I can't use my fully IV'd, EV'd Pokémon from previous generations again until January and I have to suffer through starting all over again.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
You can't just type the number of a Pokemon box and go to that box.
Instead, for every generation, you have to switch the boxes one by one by clicking left or right.
Why can't they at least sort the boxes into a few different rows?

And why can't we change the background of the boxes?

You can't just type the number of a Pokemon box and go to that box.
Instead, for every generation, you have to switch the boxes one by one by clicking left or right.
Why can't they at least sort the boxes into a few different rows?

And why can't we change the background of the boxes?
Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying, but you can change the background of the PC boxes. But anyway, having to scroll through every single box is super annoying.

The whole festival plaza pvp interface is a mess, you can't even type what you want anymore.
Yeah, they had the system perfect in gen 6. The festival plaza is a train wreck. You have to make a whole huge event of even having the possibility to do anything online. I liked in gen 6 where you could immediately see when your friends logged on, and you people could challenge you to a battle, or offer to trade, or give you an O-power pretty much whenever. It felt so much more immersive. I could go on and on, but basically the gen 6 system was surperior (haha) in every way.

Wimpod and its evolution have literally the same ability. They actually created and coded two separate abilities that are functionally equivalent and put them on the same evolutionary line.

Wimpod and its evolution have literally the same ability. They actually created and coded two separate abilities that are functionally equivalent and put them on the same evolutionary line.
Haha, it's a little ridiculous, but yeah it's kinda a joke. Wimpod is obviously a wimp, so it "wimps out" and exits when its health is low, but golisopod is a beast and would never "wimp out", so he strategically maneuvers using "emergency exit" to escape a tricky situation. But that's the joke, golisopod may look tough, but he's still a total wimp, he just pretends he's not being, thus emergency exit instead of wimp out.

Haha, it's a little ridiculous, but yeah it's kinda a joke. Wimpod is obviously a wimp, so it "wimps out" and exits when its health is low, but golisopod is a beast and would never "wimp out", so he strategically maneuvers using "emergency exit" to escape a tricky situation. But that's the joke, golisopod may look tough, but he's still a total wimp, he just pretends he's not being, thus emergency exit instead of wimp out.
It's not running away, it's a tactical retreat!

*SPOILERS*

I hated how Lillie left for Kanto. One of the best, most fleshed out and developed characters in Pokemon was just thrown away ;_;.

Regardless, game freak did a great job of finally building a character that the player would get attached to. The ending scene was a real tear jerker, game freak knew fully well what they were doing when they DEPORTED Lillie.

farewell, lillie. ur poke doll and nebby will be safe with me.

*SPOILERS*

I hated how Lillie left for Kanto. One of the best, most fleshed out and developed characters in Pokemon was just thrown away ;_;.

Regardless, game freak did a great job of finally building a character that the player would get attached to. The ending scene was a real tear jerker, game freak knew fully well what they were doing when they DEPORTED Lillie.

farewell, lillie. ur poke doll and nebby will be safe with me.
She had no choice but to leave otherwise nebby was abouta stuff her ass in a bag like she deserves. Talk about pokemon cruelty.

Seriously though, on another note, with all the kanto references (apparently everyone has gone, goes, or is going to kanto) I honestly would have thought that we ourselves were going to kanto postgame if I didn't read up on all the data mining. It seemed a little trollish and anticlimactic to me, seeing as the pretty much whiffed on another postgame. I guess I didn't get to emotionally invested into the game, I was too preoccupied being pissed at various new features, that Lillie didn't really hit me that hard. Or at all. But I feel like had I been more invested it would've have. The only time in Pokémon I've teared up/cried was at the end of pmd rrt. Saddest ending ever. But I digress, that belongs in a different thread.

*slams fist*
Series Wide complaint: the treatment of evolution items, particularly evolution stones

It just. It baffles me.
Gen 1 was arguably the best for this. It gave a shop at the midpoint of the game for 4 of the 5 stones at a time where you have a lot of access to pokemon that evolve by them. The Moon stone is the sticking point here, with only 5 of them and i think 4 were hidden (maybe 3?)
Then gen 2 fell off a cliff. Bright side: infinite moon stones, infinite sun stones! Downside: They introduced an entirely new stone for no good reason, it requires a week to get a new moon stone, you have to compete in a biweekly contest that you have to win and THERE IS EXACTLY ONE EACH OF EVERY OTHER STONE THAT YOU CAN ONLY GET IN THE POST GAME. The only way to get more stones in GS was through mystery gift (which was garbage and often gave garbage and could only be done once a a day) or trading. Crystal added pokegear numbers but this was hamstrung by there being like 8 slots total and it being COMPLETELY RANDOM ( seriously i played crystal twice and for many horus and maybe saw one of them give me a water stone once).
Gen 3 was also nonsensical with its requiring 4 shards of one color (that you often had to steal off other pokemon) that you could only trade in near the end of the game! You at least got one freebie elsewhere but those are at so random spots in the game. FRLG was our lord and savior but that was only because it was a remake. If you wanted sun & moon stones you had to steal them off appropriate pokemon. FUN FACT: Sun Stones were effectively version exclusive because only Solrock ever held them and they were only available in Ruby & Emerald.
Gen 4 introduces THREE MORE??? And christ they put the infinite versions underground?! I spent so many hours doing that damn mini game and rarely ever found a stone, much less one of the stones I really needed. And I needed a lot because now I'm searching for 9 different stones! HGSS complicates things further by only having certain stones sold at certain days and requiring beating the e4 & its separate pokethelon currency for a large fee. Or you deal with pick up. Which only produces the three new stones and only rarely at high levels of pick up. Just. Why??
don't get me started on gen 5
gen 6 reintroduces a store in XY but it only sells 3 stones ever because CANT HAVE THINGS BE TOO EASY HUH. Enjoy grinding upper tier super training for ever.
gen 7 lets you buy that 4th stone but also they introduced another stone and also the only way to get more is through the entirely random pokepelago, though this is in fairness significantly less awful than super training or the underground.
its just...I don't understand why. There's so much more I could go into detail about why this is so awful from a main game perspective, a collection perspective and a compettiive perspective but I'd be here all day. There is no reason for this!

I was going to rant on more detail on the other evo items but instead I'll focus on Weavile because WHAT DID THIS THING DO TO GAMEFREAK?
let's break this down
DP: It's not bad enough that Sneasel is near but not quite at end game, but you can't evolve it until Victory Road where one of 2 freebies is located. There's another free one in a post-game area. Your alternative is spending 48 BP in the Battle Tower shop.
Platinum: Was generous and gave an extra one at Team Galactic HQ. Marginally earlier.
HGSS: Hey this is Sneasel's origin, surely there's a nice one to use! No. Sneasel is still in the final area of the game and the only way to get a Razor Claw is to buy it at the battle frontier.
BW1: Well, it's post game, but we can let that one slide. You get one for free, the rest has to be bought at the battle subway. Still 48 BP because screw you if you messed up your Weavile I guess.
BW2: Hey sneasel is actually available again. It's still at the end of the game which sucks but at least you can evolve it with the one free one you get. THey did lower the cost for using it to a mere 8 BP though, so this is actually the high point for Weavile usage.
XY: You can't evolve Sneasel until post game and you must buy it at the Battle Maison for 48 BP (why did it go back up). The pokemilage club option was entirely completely random even at the highest rank and also is not an option anymore.
ORAS: Find it on random mirage islands. Battle Maison, still at 48 BP.
SM: They removed it from the battle tree. THEY REMOVED IT FROM THE BATTLE TREE. whaaaaaaattttt????? So now the only way to find it is to steal it off a Jangmo-o at a 5% rate (also Jangmo-o is a 5% encounter). Or get it to SOS and steal it off Hakamo-o at also a 5% rate. Kommo-os, which are rare, can hold it at 50% rate. This is bad for many many reasons but I'll leave it at "I spent over 3 hours hunting"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
R_N:
General: I think just in general, after completing the regional dex, they should look through it and note any Pokemon which requires an item to evolve and strategically put at a point in the main game where the player should be evolving their team to their final stage which would be around 3/4s way through. As for any other item it can be left for post game or if they have an affect can be placed anywhere as the Pokemon who uses it to evolve isn't available (supposedly) so it wouldn't matter as long as its in the game somewhere for later.

Stones: As you noted, the Stone Shop is the answer but yet they refuse to use it. If they don't want to make it that easy how about have us getting access to the Evolution Stones be part of a quest. Like in the beginning they have no stones but throughout the game you encounter a worker for the store at an entrance of a out-of-the-way cave which has a type of stone in it. For some reason they can't go in but you can and upon completion they'd be able to now stock that evolution stone to sell (and you're given a free one as thanks; they can say the stones in the cave are initially too rough for use to explain why you can't pick them from there).
Though that said they should also place as many stones needed to evolve all Pokemon that needs a stone in the regional dex some place in the world, once again at a point where the player should be evolving their team.

Items: *reads what they did with the Razor Claw for Sun & Moon* WHAT?! Okay, if it was an evolution item for a Pokemon not in the regional dex that would be annoying but fine, but the Sneasel family is in the Alolan Dex! You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get one, or at least there should be a free one laying on the floor somewhere! And at least sell extra in the Battle Tree's BP shop.

Talking of Mega Stones; it's already pretty ludicrous that many evolution items are locked behind BP shops (or the unreliable pelago), but now they make all the Mega Stones but Alakazite locked behind them too? And not only that, but you make four of them - which you can't even use until January - available only through beating the final boss in the Battle Tree? This is just extremely frustrating especially when I can't use my fully IV'd, EV'd Pokémon from previous generations again until January and I have to suffer through starting all over again.
This isn't the part that annoys me the most. I can live with evolutionary items and even Mega Stones costing BP. But why in the name of Arceus does the Destiny Knot cost 48 BP as well? It creates a catch-22: I can't do well in the Tree until I can get the Destiny Knot to IV breed, but I can't get the Destiny Knot unless I can do well in the Tree. The only ways to escape it are a) grind for ages, or b) wait until January for Bank to update and then use Pokemon from gen 6. At the very least (And this goes for everything except top-tier competitive stuff like Choice items and Life Orb), there should be a freebie available somewhere during the main story.

EDIT: I'd also like to add my disdain for GF's weird need to make evolution items annoying to get. I bought both Sun and Moon on release day, with the intent to play through Moon by regularly swapping out my team (which I have done), and use a pre-planned 6 mons in Sun. One of those Pokemon is Slowking. I've always liked it - it has good bulk and learns a lot of cool attacks, and its poor Speed isn't as much of an issue in Alola Aslowla. To top it off, it has interesting lore and an awesome design.

Just one problem: While Slowpoke is literally available on Route 1, the King's Rock... is postgame only. As discussed (ranted about) above, this isn't even close to the first time Game Freak has blocked off Pokemon from being used in-game. So my only question is... why? Why bother adding these Pokemon to the Alola dex if you can't actually use them in-game? Now, at this point, you might say "But Slowbro!". And yes, Slowbro exists and is just as good. But that's beside the point - the fact is that there is no reason for these items to be restricted to post-game. Ideally, they should come at the point where the Pokemon's evolved form would be roughly on par with what the AI has, which I'd say for Slowking would be around Po Town. Heck, let's go with that - have Guzma give you a King's Rock when you beat him! It makes sense both with balance and with lore. As a protest, I have obtained the King's Rock in Moon and fully intend to transfer it to Sun when the time comes for Slowpoke to be crowned king.

EDIT 2: TIL Poliwhirl (catchable during the main story) has a 5% chance of holding a King's Rock! It takes some grinding for sure, but at least it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
This isn't the part that annoys me the most. I can live with evolutionary items and even Mega Stones costing BP. But why in the name of Arceus does the Destiny Knot cost 48 BP as well? It creates a catch-22: I can't do well in the Tree until I can get the Destiny Knot to IV breed, but I can't get the Destiny Knot unless I can do well in the Tree. The only ways to escape it are a) grind for ages, or b) wait until January for Bank to update and then use Pokemon from gen 6.
At this point I'm just going to wait for Bank to release before getting into breeding, Battle Tree, and online stuff.

Honestly after all the teasing and demand for bringing back the Battle Frontier/PWT I'm so disappointed with the Battle Tree. Hopefully there's enough longevity between the Battle Tree and Battle Royals to keep coming back to. I'd even take a new game or payed DLC in a year's time if it meant a proper end game area.

R_N:
General: I think just in general, after completing the regional dex, they should look through it and note any Pokemon which requires an item to evolve and strategically put at a point in the main game where the player should be evolving their team to their final stage which would be around 3/4s way through. As for any other item it can be left for post game or if they have an affect can be placed anywhere as the Pokemon who uses it to evolve isn't available (supposedly) so it wouldn't matter as long as its in the game somewhere for later.

Stones: As you noted, the Stone Shop is the answer but yet they refuse to use it. If they don't want to make it that easy how about have us getting access to the Evolution Stones be part of a quest. Like in the beginning they have no stones but throughout the game you encounter a worker for the store at an entrance of a out-of-the-way cave which has a type of stone in it. For some reason they can't go in but you can and upon completion they'd be able to now stock that evolution stone to sell (and you're given a free one as thanks; they can say the stones in the cave are initially too rough for use to explain why you can't pick them from there).
Though that said they should also place as many stones needed to evolve all Pokemon that needs a stone in the regional dex some place in the world, once again at a point where the player should be evolving their team.
You don't even need to lock it behind a sidequest, just lock it in the same way the main shops do and base it on progress.

But also don't do that because that allows them an out and put good stones at the end of the game for no damn reason

The general* idea behind stone evolutions is a trade off. You can evolve now and get a big boost in power for that point in the game, but give up regularly learning moves outside of TMs (which depending on the game are one use, rare and/or possibly post game). When you put them at the end of the game, you are just arbitrarily cutting off the ability to evolve them for no reason and forcing players to instead make a choice of "do I even want to use this thing or should i save the stone for something competitive" (or whatever). This is why Kanto, the most boring region with pretty poor balance, inexplicable does this the best. You get access at the point in the game where you suddenly have several pokemon that can evolve by stone and a store that sells stones; and if you find you messed up, then your only punishment is needing to re-raise the pokemon and then just buy a new stone. Again, complicated by moon stones, but the idea is still there.

You also get the idea they didn't really think the placement through at all? RSE puts one freebie around Hoenn. These freebies make sense thematically: Fire stone in fiery path, thunder stone in the power plant, etc. But they are not balanced at all. The water stone isn't avaialble until basically end game while you get fire stone around the mid game, for example.

And on top of that there's just no reason to make some stones more arbitrarily special than others. The Moon Stone almost uniformly goes to pretty subpar pokemon in the first place. Sun stone only results in subpar pokemon. The gen 4 stones are always grouped together for no reason despite (mostly) following the same conventions and are always ~hard to get~ without just being an event like sun & moon stones.

*There's some exceptions, of course. Eevee's an obvious example, more designed as an inverse because of its gimmick. The Dawn stone also breaks this convention, probably for the same reason Politoed pretends its a stone evolution since its split off Poliwrath.

I don't think this has been said so forgive me if it has but I was playing Pokemon Moon and something dawned on me.

I HATE THE POKERIDE MUSIC.

It gets old fast and is one of the worst pieces in the game. It's so damn happy which I can't stand but it's not my kind of music. That's not why I hate it though. Similar to the Bicycle music from older gens when you use a PokeRide(/Bicycle) the new music overrides the old bar a few places. Not enough places. I was in the Ruins of Life where you have to use Machamp Shove in order to get past. The ruins have really cool music that fit really well with the ruins themselves but when I have to listen to that horrible PokeRide music it ruins the feel of the place.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 13)