(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Move Items is now incorporated into the PC. There are three buttons near the top of the PC interface- One for normal use, one for Move items, and one for setting up Battle Teams.
You can also access your team's items by pressing either X or Y (whichever one isn't the button that swaps your team members around) in the Pokemon menu.

I am annoyed at the fact that ORAS pretty much perfected breeding and leveling up (A singular daycare/hatching route, Blissey Bases, Dexnav) and Sun and Moon seems to have gone backwards from that a bit.
Not necessarily backwards, but definitely a "one step forward, one step back" feel. You don't have to visit a PC to collect new eggs and can add them or newly caught Pokemon to your party, the Hidden Power checker is inside the nursery, the IV judge function can be accessed from the PC, and Hyper Training helps cut some time in soft-resetting Pokemon that can't breed since you can fix the less-than flawless stats. But there are no quick and easy ways to get your Pokemon to level 100 which is required to use Hyper Training, (made even harder by the gen 5 EXP system) the annoying SOS chaining is the only way to get hidden abilities/guaranteed flawless IV's for breedable Pokemon in Sun and Moon, (though to be fair it maxes out at four rather than DexNav's three, but DexNav could have an egg move and was with any wild Pokemon) and no O-Powers whatsoever. (Hatching, Capture, and EXP in particular)

Though I am rather irked that the Lucky Egg isn't until post-game. It's awesome that you can get a Red Card, Flame Orb, Air Balloon, and Focus Sash before the Battle Tree and all, but why is the hold item that actually would be handy to have before becoming champion stuck in the post-game like an afterthought?

Oh yeah, don't forget how the whole checking Pokemon's status's REALLY helps make life easier when it came to catching legendaries. I would have loved the feature in previous gens especially so I don't have to guess what the nature is based off the stats I see and then I could send the legendary to the box so it doesn't collect EVs in the resulting boss fights.

Though I am rather irked that the Lucky Egg isn't until post-game. It's awesome that you can get a Red Card, Flame Orb, Air Balloon, and Focus Sash before the Battle Tree and all, but why is the hold item that actually would be handy to have before becoming champion stuck in the post-game like an afterthought?
Not to mention... there are wild Happiny and wild Pelipper in the game, Pokemon that could hold Lucky Eggs in ORAS, as well as Chansey on SOS Calls, which could hold Lucky Eggs in XY.

Why the sudden change?

(For that matter, why could wild Pelipper hold a Lucky Egg in ORAS? I can't think of an explanation to why a Pelican is holding an unrelated egg)

Last edited:
It's also frustrating for breeding that there's no team layout on the bottom of the screen, meaning you have to waste time by opening and closing the menu to see how many eggs you have or how many you've hatched. Which seems a ridiculous complaint at first, but all these seconds add up with how much you're doing it, and you want a quick and easy look when you're watching Netflix or something to while the egg-hatching time away.

It just really makes me dislike the Rotomdex more. It's such a pointless addition that feels patronising and pandering to listen to after a while, takes up the entirety of the bottom screen where something more useful could be (alright, the map is nice, but nothing else after ORAS' huge selection of things to have there?), and in the aftergame it's totally redundant. It's actually started annoying me that it keeps going on about Ultra Beasts every time I open up the game despite me having done that sidequest over a month ago

As somebody who is currently trying to hatch a shiny Magikarp, I HATE the fact that every default hatched egg flashes gold for a second. Stop getting my hopes up damnit!

But we don't have a stork Pokemon (though a Stork Pokemon based on the baby delivering story would be a neat idea). :P
Come on, now. Even in your own thread, it's been stated and proven numerous times that GF like to mix many creatures together to make a Pokemon. Now, the design may not resemble a stork in any normal sense, but the 'Lucky Egg' it carries (in ORAS) is the closest you'll ever get to see in terms of a baby being carried by a bird (in Pokemon). It might simply be a small nod to the nursery story. Sure, we don't have a stork 'mon in the actual sense, but Pelipper can serve just the same role with an egg in its large pocketed mouth. Close enough to a storkmon for now, right?

Long story short, I see it as a little joke, something akin to an easter egg. Maybe even a hint to either a future stork-like 'mon, or the stork 'mon that would've been but turned pelican. Who knows? Ultimately, we won't know, so make of it what you will.

You know what sucks? When you put a large amount of hours of beans in PokePelago, come back the next day, and there's like an hour and a half left of beans but you aren't allowed to top off the crate for the next day until the timer goes out.

Just let me fill the darn crate, Mohn. Please
You are asking the guy who happens to be Lusamine's husband some logic.

It's like asking him to stop demanding us to empty a training area in Evelup Island after all sessions are complete, even if all we want to do is have the Pokemon that are already there do a different kind of training.

You are asking the guy who happens to be Lusamine's husband some logic.

It's like asking him to stop demanding us to empty a training area in Evelup Island after all sessions are complete, even if all we want to do is have the Pokemon that are already there do a different kind of training.
Speaking of whom, it's so weird how Gladion acts like his dad has been gone forever, but literally everybody knows where this guy "Mohn" is and it's made abundantly clear that Gladion's dad and Mohn are one and the same.

What really annoys me is that why is wooper can learn ice punch WITHOUT arms/hands!!!

Every pokemon game, no leaves you and everyone is here to talk to you without even replying them.
BUT everything change with N in White/Black. The storyline is deep and almost made me cry ( just almost) and he disappear after the battle.
AND now in Sun/Moon Lilie left us behind for the greater good. I'm sad cuz of the great character development and they vanish to another region or so.

Its really frustrating when someone leaves you and never return. (It didn't hurt me a bit when lysandre and lusamine are gone so... yeah)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of whom, it's so weird how Gladion acts like his dad has been gone forever, but literally everybody knows where this guy "Mohn" is and it's made abundantly clear that Gladion's dad and Mohn are one and the same.
In my headcanon like to think that Wicke knows but is purposely keeping it a secret from Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie (and Faba) since Mohn doesn't remember anything. Think how devastating that would be to them? They believe their husband/father has been gone for years only to discover here's nearby but doesn't even know who they are? Especially for Lusamine since we sort of know how she acted when he disappeared, think how she would act if she knew and treat the amnesiac Mohn? Of course Wicke isn't just sitting back on this info, she's probably working on trying to joggle Mohn's memory but it looks like to no avail.

Every pokemon game, no leaves you and everyone is here to talk to you without even replying them.
BUT everything change with N in White/Black. The storyline is deep and almost made me cry ( just almost) and he disappear after the battle.
AND now in Sun/Moon Lilie left us behind for the greater good. I'm sad cuz of the great character development and they vanish to another region or so.

Its really frustrating when someone leaves you and never return. (It didn't hurt me a bit when lysandre and lusamine are gone so... yeah)
Ah, but that's life. People come and people leave. Everyone needs to set their own path. N and Lillie are characters with sad backstories who just were freed from it, it only makes sense they want to go on a journey of self-discovery. Its a bittersweet ending, but they aren't really gone, they're just away. For the player this means that they could appear in a future game, maybe a little older and more experienced, but that's what you'd want to see, see them having grown stronger.

Though N does make a return in BW2 and you can battle him once a month in the post game, so it does seem he's staying around a bit in Unova (though that's getting into meta stuff, he'd probably set off to look for the BW player after finishing his unfinished business in Unova (and hopefully saying "hi" to everyone in the Plasma House)).

Did a quick search, but the search function on the site really hates words shorter than 4 letters, especially since there's no 'match case' function...

Okay, this needs to be said. Probably the most infuriating things in SM boil down to two features, or rather the lack thereof. These two tiny quality-of-life things are so unnoticeable and forgettable until you play SM. What I'm talking about here are the facts that we now need to a) press the 'A' button to enter a building and b) either scroll down and press 'A' or tap on the option to "Give up on learning {move's name}?".

Why can't I just press the control pad in the direction of the door to enter the building just like any other game I can remember playing? This seems so illogical to force us to stop and press a button we haven't needed to since, uh, forever. I mean, sure, it's not so bad when you constantly play with two hands, but I haven't done that since I got my hands on a DS Lite all those years ago. I play with my left hand on the console and my right hand, while holding the stylus, supporting the console (I usually only play in bed...). Of course, there's that option to use the 'L' button as an additional 'A' button, but I shouldn't need to do that.

As for the learning of a move, ALL previous games (once again, that I can remember playing) have let you simply press the 'B' button to skip learning a move. In the way I hold the console, it is possible for me to simply use my thumb to hit 'B' but 'A' is just out of reach. Why do I need to now cognitively act on this? Then there's the fact that one way of doing it requires some precision, so I sometimes spend 5 or more seconds trying to remember to hit 'down' and 'A' or tap several times trying to hit the bottom screen in the right place.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's one step forward and two steps back. /rant

Why can't I just press the control pad in the direction of the door to enter the building just like any other game I can remember playing? This seems so illogical to force us to stop and press a button we haven't needed to since, uh, forever. I mean, sure, it's not so bad when you constantly play with two hands, but I haven't done that since I got my hands on a DS Lite all those years ago. I play with my left hand on the console and my right hand, while holding the stylus, supporting the console (I usually only play in bed...). Of course, there's that option to use the 'L' button as an additional 'A' button, but I shouldn't need to do that.
I personally don't find this to be a burden at all. I think the benefit of knowing, from the "A" icon that pops up, you're in the right spot to enter a doorway/do whatever actually outweighs the small downside of the extra step in the process. It would be nice if you had the option to turn it off, though.

As for the learning of a move, ALL previous games (once again, that I can remember playing) have let you simply press the 'B' button to skip learning a move. In the way I hold the console, it is possible for me to simply use my thumb to hit 'B' but 'A' is just out of reach. Why do I need to now cognitively act on this? Then there's the fact that one way of doing it requires some precision, so I sometimes spend 5 or more seconds trying to remember to hit 'down' and 'A' or tap several times trying to hit the bottom screen in the right place.
There's a clear reason for this. They removed the extra "are you sure" step from the process of declining moves, and then made it so you can't just decline them with the B button to make it harder to skip past moves you want accidentally. Again, though, this and many other things should still be changeable in the options.

It's a pretty nice thing that the Battle Tree has a vendor that gives you the trade-evolution items.

Pretty nice... as long as you don't try to evolve a Scyther or (after Pokebank) an Onix, because the Metal Coat is not there.

Did not look if there's another trade-evolution item that is also missing, but it's ridiculous.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's a pretty nice thing that the Battle Tree has a vendor that gives you the trade-evolution items.

Pretty nice... as long as you don't try to evolve a Scyther or (after Pokebank) an Onix, because the Metal Coat is not there.

Did not look if there's another trade-evolution item that is also missing, but it's ridiculous.
Razor Claw is also missing. You need to get those items via stealing off Pokemon.

Razor Claw is also missing. You need to get those items via stealing off Pokemon.
I tend to forget the Razor Claw because I got it from the first Jangmo-o I encountered... but yeah, it and the Metal Coat are the only specific evolutionary items that have to be stolen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)