(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Currently playing Colosseum again for the first time in years. I have a Flygon on my team who is pretty good, but....

Sand Tomb is a terrible move with poor accuracy and power. I don't want to use Earthquake because it'll kill my Raikou! I miss having Earth Power or Bulldzoe.

In addition, the fact that it doesn't learn Dragon Claw by levelling up in Gen 3 is FUCKING DUMB. Why the hell not? Why do I have to be stuck with Dragon Breath for most of the game, until I get the TM in the Deep Colosseum? ARGH.

Currently playing Colosseum again for the first time in years. I have a Flygon on my team who is pretty good, but....

Sand Tomb is a terrible move with poor accuracy and power. I don't want to use Earthquake because it'll kill my Raikou! I miss having Earth Power or Bulldzoe.

In addition, the fact that it doesn't learn Dragon Claw by levelling up in Gen 3 is FUCKING DUMB. Why the hell not? Why do I have to be stuck with Dragon Breath for most of the game, until I get the TM in the Deep Colosseum? ARGH.
You could buy a Protect TM in The Under

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Serebii said:
Pokemon Sun & Moon - Mega Stones

The Pokemon Company has spoken about the fact that Mega Stones for various Pokémon are not currently available. Giving an explanation, it then went on to say that the Mawilite and Beedrillite will be distributed through an entry gift for an Online Competition in late February. It is stated that the other missing Mega Stones will be distributed through similar means as time passes. We'll bring the information for all future Mega Stone distributions as it comes so be sure to keep checking back.
... Well, at least all you got to do to get them is enter a team. Doesn't excuse them not being in at the Battle Tree's BP store (along with the evolution items) but... no, there is no "but". This is honestly inexcusable.

"Hey, should we make the entry gift for competitions be a special Pokemon?"
"Nah, just cut out all the Mega Stones for Pokemon not in the regional dex and hold them hostage... err, I mean use them as incentive."

Oh, and the Type Gems (including Fairy-type, yet there's still no basic Fairy-type power up item) are all still programmed in the game.

... Well, at least all you got to do to get them is enter a team. Doesn't excuse them not being in at the Battle Tree's BP store (along with the evolution items) but... no, there is no "but". This is honestly inexcusable.

"Hey, should we make the entry gift for competitions be a special Pokemon?"
"Nah, just cut out all the Mega Stones for Pokemon not in the regional dex and hold them hostage... err, I mean use them as incentive."

Oh, and the Type Gems (including Fairy-type, yet there's still no basic Fairy-type power up item) are all still programmed in the game.
This whole thing just makes me think "what"? I know Game Freak can be a...strange company at times but come on, I have no idea what they're doing. Seriously, you can only get them through a competition? What if you miss it, is it just tough luck for you? Seeing that they are distributing others through "similar means" is actually scary. Which person at Game Freak gave the go ahead for this? Who thought this was a good idea? Did no one at all raise concerns?

Same for Fairy Type Power Up and Fairy Hidden Power. These aren't relics of the past, Game Freak, come on.

E: Actually "Which person at Game Freak gave the go ahead for this? Who thought this was a good idea?" is basically applied to everything. Game Freak has made so many terrible and downright objectively bad choices that you think someone, somewhere would raise a concern at these?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At least we have pixie plate, it's not like there's absolutely nothing to boost fairy moves

So this isn't a complete waste I agree that it would be unthinkably bad design to do no other distribution of these megas. I think if somebody at the Pokemon company is still sane then the stones will at first be prizes, like an early access but for people who won their events rather than paid extra money, and we'll be seeing event distribution later on. The idea that only a few people could have the stones would be really unfair in terms of their online competitions, which is what most of their design seems to be geared towards nowadays.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Friendly reminder that most competitions have a entry limit of 50k people, so even if you can make the time for it, there still isn't any guarantee that you can enter and get the stone (they usually don't completely fill, but that may change if they're offering the stones with it). You'll also obviously need a PGL account.

Just.....why? It'd be a helluva lot easier to just distribute them via a public online Mystery Gift, and it would also be more fair. This method is even more cruel considering the mega stones in question; Mawile and Beedrill essentially can't function without them.

I think the simpler grievance: Why the hell were the Stones not in the Battle Tree shop from square one? They already gave us stones for unavailable mons through Red with the Kanto starters, and it's not like we have a use for the stone until Bank's release, which we already knew was coming anyway. You need Beedrill and Beedrillite to use Mega Beedrill, not like the stone is worth anything until there's a way to get Beedrill.

Holding these stones hostage as a limited entry prize is something Pokemon Shuffle does, but that's a microtransaction game where the idea is to encourage you to play often so you can get a stronger team, buy items to improve your chances, things that keep a playerbase and potentially bring in revenue. What does Gamefreak gain from the limited availability of things like Mega Stones, or ANYTHING in the games at this point? The QR reader in Sun and Moon has introduced a way to delay content introduction without putting an expiration date with things like Magearna and Mythical Pokemon. Just distribute the codes whenever you decide to introduce the content, then you don't punish late adopters of the game (this is too long after the fact to be part of the obsession with week/month 1 sales that most AAA companies fixate on).

I also just hate how Bank's transfer functionality is being time locked each generation. If the intention is to prevent people from using the high levels to steamroll the game, isn't that what the disobedience mechanic for traded mons is already for?

I think the simpler grievance: Why the hell were the Stones not in the Battle Tree shop from square one? They already gave us stones for unavailable mons through Red with the Kanto starters, and it's not like we have a use for the stone until Bank's release, which we already knew was coming anyway. You need Beedrill and Beedrillite to use Mega Beedrill, not like the stone is worth anything until there's a way to get Beedrill.

Holding these stones hostage as a limited entry prize is something Pokemon Shuffle does, but that's a microtransaction game where the idea is to encourage you to play often so you can get a stronger team, buy items to improve your chances, things that keep a playerbase and potentially bring in revenue. What does Gamefreak gain from the limited availability of things like Mega Stones, or ANYTHING in the games at this point? The QR reader in Sun and Moon has introduced a way to delay content introduction without putting an expiration date with things like Magearna and Mythical Pokemon. Just distribute the codes whenever you decide to introduce the content, then you don't punish late adopters of the game (this is too long after the fact to be part of the obsession with week/month 1 sales that most AAA companies fixate on).

I also just hate how Bank's transfer functionality is being time locked each generation. If the intention is to prevent people from using the high levels to steamroll the game, isn't that what the disobedience mechanic for traded mons is already for?
I would have preferred that the Mega Stones for Pokemon normally found in Alola were scattered about, either in the alternate world or needing the Key Stone Dexio gives you to find them, and the rest be Battle Tree prizes. (or hell, some at the Battle Tree and some at the Royal Avenue) The idea of making these Mega Stones be competition prizes is baffling, as how is a casual player that has no interest in participating in a competition, or can't participate for whatever reason, supposed to get them? Diancite also worries me, since Diancie is a mythical Pokemon, which aren't normally allowed in their online competitions, and thus may not have as much "incentive" to get it distributed. (same could be said for the Mewtwonites since Mewtwo isn't normally allowed either)

And why do I get the bad feeling that they'll do this with the Z-crystals once Game Freak moves on to gen 8 and the new "super-amazing gimmick of the generation" in the not-too-distant future?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And why do I get the bad feeling that they'll do this with the Z-crystals once Game Freak moves on to gen 8 and the new "super-amazing gimmick of the generation" in the not-too-distant future?
Why do I get the bad feeling that they haven't even planned what to do with Z-crystals when they are pushed to the sidelines in Gen 8, in favour of The Next Big Thing?

Why do I get the bad feeling that they haven't even planned what to do with Z-crystals when they are pushed to the sidelines in Gen 8, in favour of The Next Big Thing?
Why do I get the feeling that while all these gimmicks are great and bring their own interesting unique dynamic to both the in-game and metagame, the unfortunate symptoms of them are just going to get worse and worse each gen and Game Freak's hesitance to change how anything works is going to mean each new gimmick will add a new layer of hell to each subsequent generation's postgame?

ITT: In which everybody briefly considers forming some sort of riot mob... You totally are though, aren't you. Admit it.

If that ends up being how they distribute the stones, and fuck, if they're prize-based, or limited signups, fuck - that's so stupid. Never mind the fact it shits on anyone with a busy work/life schedule or people without reliable internet access, who have never really been in GF's good graces in the first place. But goddamn, if they are serious about this I'm really gonna consider getting some sort of AR thing to personally clone and distribute the fuck outta the Mega Stones. They're tradable, right? Please tell me they're tradeable.

ITT: In which everybody briefly considers forming some sort of riot mob... You totally are though, aren't you. Admit it.

If that ends up being how they distribute the stones, and fuck, if they're prize-based, or limited signups, fuck - that's so stupid. Never mind the fact it shits on anyone with a busy work/life schedule or people without reliable internet access, who have never really been in GF's good graces in the first place. But goddamn, if they are serious about this I'm really gonna consider getting some sort of AR thing to personally clone and distribute the fuck outta the Mega Stones. They're tradable, right? Please tell me they're tradeable.
They're of course tradeable, like any trade item that's not a Z-crystal.

Because what they're planning on doing with the Mega Stones reeks of the same lack of foresight on what to do with them in the transition to the current gen.

"Uh, some of the Pokemon we're including in these games have that Mega Evolution thing from the previous generation. What should we do with their Mega Stones?"

"What? Er, just throw 'em in the Battle Tree as prizes. And have Red hand the player the Kanto starters' stones, too. He uses those, so why not?"

"You're a genius!

"...but what about the other Mega Stones? Like Mawilite and Beedrillite?"

"Eh, who cares? Why tease the player with items they can't use?"

"But the Kanto starters aren't-"

"Hardly anyone will notice! Z-crystals are in right now! Now don't forget to work on those wild Pokemon encounters!"

...oh god, I think I'm starting to turn into Pikachu315111 here with the overly elaborate and wordy dramatizations...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
At least we have pixie plate, it's not like there's absolutely nothing to boost fairy moves.
But the problem with the Pixie Plate is it's usually post game. The Type Power-up items only ever see use in the main game, they have little competitive use when we have Life Orb, Choice items, Mega Stones, and Z-Crystals (and previously Gems) to provide attack power-up (and then there's other items that provide different tactical options).

Though I guess this can fit into my next thoughts on everyone bringing up GF sidelining Z-Crystals for the Gen VIII toy. As Kurona said, I'm getting worried this introducing a new big mechanic is adding too much complication each generation in a row. This also stunt the growth of the previous gen's big mechanic as GF tends to go all in on the new big mechanic and ignoring mostly everything else. For Gen VIII I think GF needs to take a step back, instead of focusing on new big mechanic instead expand upon the previous ones. And not only that, why not also older items like the type boosting items? I could go on but I would enter wishlisting territory, but there's so much untapped potential that GF doesn't seem interested in simply because it's something that already exists within the game.

Oh, and if it wasn't annoying enough they were keeping Mega Stones as competition entry prizes, now they're offering the Apricorn Pokeballs as Global Mission prizes!

Shahdow

Banned deucer.
I hate the way they nerfed Thunder Wave and burn. For T-wave, they should've just gotten rid of full paralysis ("Pokemon is paralysed, it can't move!") while keeping it at 100% accuracy and 75% speed drop.

The burn nerf annoys me because now if you burn something that's holding Leftovers, it neutralizes the damage from burn since they're both 1/16 HP.

I hate the way they nerfed Thunder Wave and burn. For T-wave, they should've just gotten rid of full paralysis ("Pokemon is paralysed, it can't move!") while keeping it at 100% accuracy and 75% speed drop.

The burn nerf annoys me because now if you burn something that's holding Leftovers, it neutralizes the damage from burn since they're both 1/16 HP.
Same here, paralyzis should be used as speed control, not as RNG win factor.

I hate how growing berries is so frustrating and inconsistent over the generations.

Gen 3 and 4 have a shitty way to grow berries, but to be fair, they were the first gens to even enable you to grow berries. I don't think that anyone has ever flown all over the region to collect their berries at fixed locations, but whatever.

HGSS brought the berry pots to the table though, which is by far the best way to handle the whole berry growing system. It's my favorite item in the entire pokemon franchise, and the games make great use of the berry pots by providing the player with all the right berries early on. It adds a great amount of strategy to nuzlockes. A sitrus or lum berry can seriously increase your chances against gym leaders.

Then in gen 5, the only real way to harvest berries was via entralink, which wasn't really reliable. Gen 5 gives you plenty of other held items though, so berries don't have to be used to fill in the gaps like in HGSS.

The whole berry thing feels really underdeveloped in gen 6. I haven't played through the entire game yet though, so I might be missing something.

And finally gen 7 made getting berries super annoying. You can only get berries from those trees that give you a (as far as I can tell) completely random berry, and you have to battle a crabrawler.
EVERY.
SINGLE.
TIME.
ugh...

I guess there's also a berry paradise or something, but as I said, I don't want to fly to a fixed location just to get some berries. Let me do it on the go, give me back my berry pots.

I hate how growing berries is so frustrating and inconsistent over the generations.

Gen 3 and 4 have a shitty way to grow berries, but to be fair, they were the first gens to even enable you to grow berries. I don't think that anyone has ever flown all over the region to collect their berries at fixed locations, but whatever.

HGSS brought the berry pots to the table though, which is by far the best way to handle the whole berry growing system. It's my favorite item in the entire pokemon franchise, and the games make great use of the berry pots by providing the player with all the right berries early on. It adds a great amount of strategy to nuzlockes. A sitrus or lum berry can seriously increase your chances against gym leaders.

Then in gen 5, the only real way to harvest berries was via entralink, which wasn't really reliable. Gen 5 gives you plenty of other held items though, so berries don't have to be used to fill in the gaps like in HGSS.

The whole berry thing feels really underdeveloped in gen 6. I haven't played through the entire game yet though, so I might be missing something.

And finally gen 7 made getting berries super annoying. You can only get berries from those trees that give you a (as far as I can tell) completely random berry, and you have to battle a crabrawler.
EVERY.
SINGLE.
TIME.
ugh...

I guess there's also a berry paradise or something, but as I said, I don't want to fly to a fixed location just to get some berries. Let me do it on the go, give me back my berry pots.
Poke Pelago makes growing berries outrageously easy. I have at least 150 of each EV-reducing berry, and that's because I use them to quickly induce happiness-based evolutions (otherwise I'd have much more, as it takes around 30 berries on average to get max Happiness).

That being said, I agree in that getting the first ones of each berry is annoying in each gen in its own way.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ my seething hatred over Gen 7's new 'improvements and features' just seems to grow every day. I need to vent.

Festival Plaza is an atrocious replacement for the PSS that should not exist because it just pisses me off. Maybe if both the plaza and PSS were in the game I wouldn't have minded, but as someone who just wants to do things like trade or battle, all the gimmicky shit in there is just obtrusive and it actively puts me off playing Gen 7. Jesus christ, between this and making breeding even more annoying it feels like Gamefreak took a big step back with these games.

/vent

I feel like my hatred over this could send me to at least SSJ levels.

But the problem with the Pixie Plate is it's usually post game. The Type Power-up items only ever see use in the main game, they have little competitive use when we have Life Orb, Choice items, Mega Stones, and Z-Crystals (and previously Gems) to provide attack power-up (and then there's other items that provide different tactical options).

Though I guess this can fit into my next thoughts on everyone bringing up GF sidelining Z-Crystals for the Gen VIII toy. As Kurona said, I'm getting worried this introducing a new big mechanic is adding too much complication each generation in a row. This also stunt the growth of the previous gen's big mechanic as GF tends to go all in on the new big mechanic and ignoring mostly everything else. For Gen VIII I think GF needs to take a step back, instead of focusing on new big mechanic instead expand upon the previous ones. And not only that, why not also older items like the type boosting items? I could go on but I would enter wishlisting territory, but there's so much untapped potential that GF doesn't seem interested in simply because it's something that already exists within the game.

Oh, and if it wasn't annoying enough they were keeping Mega Stones as competition entry prizes, now they're offering the Apricorn Pokeballs as Global Mission prizes!
That last one doesn't annoy me as much. I wish there was some way to get more than one of each in the game, (Festival Plaza ball shops would have been PERFECT for this) but at least you can get one of each.

I do agree though that Game Freak, rather than likely tossing Z-crystals under the proverbial bus in favor of next gen's gimmick, (and so on) should expand upon the gimmicks already established. The nerf to Parental Bond, granting all type changing abilities a x1.2 boost to the affected move, and having turn order be immediately adjusted for new Speed stats/changed abilities affecting priority (and making sure Rayquaza can't Mega Evolve AND use a Z-move in the same battle since it doesn't use a Mega Stone) all show that Game Freak didn't completely forget about Megas. We're not expecting all that much, just be sure all the stones and Z-crystals are there and maybe add a couple more of each along with the shiny new toy of the generation. The fact that at least some people's favorite Pokemon would be getting a little love will more than likely be very well received and subsequently sell them on the new games.

But I suppose we should really leave the moaning and complaining about gen 8 when it gets here. We've barely begun gen 7.

GF didn't nerf burn, but only balanced this status.
Burn still has the huge advantage to cut in half the Atk of the opposing pokemon, so your opponent wastes a SD or the item slot to hold a Lum Berry and, if burned, his pokemon loses health each turn.
Regular Poison, for example, was miles worse than burn because both of them make the opponent's pokemon lose 12% HP each turn, but the latter status halved the Atk (in addition to the life loss).

I'm really glad of this because I was annoyed by the brokenness of Burn.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 13)