(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

After doing a breeding project in gen 6, why can't evolution families have the better egg production rates? I had a 5 IV competitive mon that I needed a new nature for and being stuck on the lowest egg rate meant I was hatching eggs faster than filling up my party with eggs.

"Have you ever seen how a Pokemon is caught before?"
Answer: Yes / No
if yes: "Alright cousin! Just come back and ask me if you need help"
else: Tutorial.

Really, why is that STILL not a thing. It's really not rocket science to implement something so simple as an If clause somewhere in the code. It's like Game Freak refuses to believe the same people have been playing pokemon for well over two decades.

Really, why is that STILL not a thing. It's really not rocket science to implement something so simple as an If clause somewhere in the code. It's like Game Freak refuses to believe the same people have been playing pokemon for well over two decades.
It WAS a thing in the first generations (I can't remember right now if it was forced in Yellow though), but from DPP onwards it became forced.

*sigh*

"Have your seen how a Pokemon is caught before?"
If yes, you move along otherwise you get the tutorial.

Just like skipping cutscenes, Game Freak is surprisingly backwards when it comes to this. The only reason I can think is if they're afraid of kids accidentally skipping cutscenes, which is absurd and stupid but I have nothing else, which shows how unreasonable this is.

If they're not going to do this then they could at least make the catching tutorial better. Perhaps you'd be taught as you got into your first wild encounter? Like a single line of dialogue about how to use a Poke Ball and then optional (as in you manually talk to an NPC) dialogue about catching tips, like status and low HP.

I sort of get Game Freak not allowing players to skip their long-ass cutscenes, though. It took them 16 years to get up to date with 2002 so they're making damn sure we appreciate it. /s

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just like skipping cutscenes, Game Freak is surprisingly backwards when it comes to this. The only reason I can think is if they're afraid of kids accidentally skipping cutscenes, which is absurd and stupid but I have nothing else, which shows how unreasonable this is.
Then they should do what Kingdom Hearts does and make it so that Start pauses the cutscene and requires confirmation that you want to skip it. It's not that hard.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

If they're not going to do this then they could at least make the catching tutorial better. Perhaps you'd be taught as you got into your first wild encounter? Like a single line of dialogue about how to use a Poke Ball and then optional (as in you manually talk to an NPC) dialogue about catching tips, like status and low HP.
As Taistelu said, they're afraid kids might skip it so it would probably go like this:

Tutorial Giver: Hey, do you want to be shown how to catch a Pokemon?
(Answer No)
Tutorial Giver: Alright! If you need a refresher just check your Tutorial Log in your Key Items.

Since "Yes" is always the first highlighted response, a kid who's button mashing won't skip out on the tutorial if they need it. Also they really should just have a Key Item called "Tutorial Log" which has the basic information a player would need: Catching, Battling, Leveling Up, Evolution, Type Chart, and whatever else they'll come across that needs a tutorial.

Then they should do what Kingdom Hearts does and make it so that Start pauses the cutscene and requires confirmation that you want to skip it. It's not that hard.
Exactly. If they're really afraid a kid might accidentally skip it they can have an "Event Log" key item which records cutscenes (or write out what just happened along with a hint what the player should do next).

Also they really should just have a Key Item called "Tutorial Log" which has the basic information a player would need: Catching, Battling, Leveling Up, Evolution, Type Chart, and whatever else they'll come across that needs a tutorial.
Didn't they do this one time before in FireRed/LeafGreen? The TeachyTV you get from the old man which has visual demonstrations for catching, status, levelling (and its importance) is quite close to this. An expanded TeachyTV with more tutorials should definitely come back for Gen 7 Third Game / DPP Remake / Gen 8, it's better than just text dialogue that a log would have. Slap the catching tutorial on there and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
It WAS a thing in the first generations (I can't remember right now if it was forced in Yellow though), but from DPP onwards it became forced.

*sigh*
It was forced in RSE when Wally goes to catch his Ralts, but at least they had a valid excuse for it being mandatory since it played a part in Wally's story progression (especially in ORAS).

But yeah, the mandatory catching tutorials really need to be optional again. GSC's catch tutorial was nice since you couldn't unintentionally walk past it, but you could simply say no to it and go along your merry little way.

Didn't they do this one time before in FireRed/LeafGreen? The TeachyTV you get from the old man which has visual demonstrations for catching, status, levelling (and its importance) is quite close to this. An expanded TeachyTV with more tutorials should definitely come back for Gen 7 Third Game / DPP Remake / Gen 8, it's better than just text dialogue that a log would have. Slap the catching tutorial on there and you're good to go.
Ironically the old man still forces you into a catch tutorial before he gives you the Teachy TV.

What was Game Freak thinking when they designed Slaking? Imagine those kids who were playing RSE / ORAS for the first time and caught the Slakoth for use in their in-game team. They must have been happy when they see their Vigoroth evolve .... until they see what Ability it had.

What was Game Freak thinking when they designed Slaking? Imagine those kids who were playing RSE / ORAS for the first time and caught the Slakoth for use in their in-game team. They must have been happy when they see their Vigoroth evolve .... until they see what Ability it had.
Well, to be fair, Slakoth also had truant, so kids probably would've grown impatient before they could even see Slaking. That said, abilities that hinder you are stupid regardless...very annoying.

Well, to be fair, Slakoth also had truant, so kids probably would've grown impatient before they could even see Slaking. That said, abilities that hinder you are stupid regardless...very annoying.
Whether they're annoying and whether they're stupid are completely unrelated.

Actually, kids would remember Slaking from their battle with Norman, given that he runs two of them.

Still doesn't really excuse Truant. Higher BST than a pseudo-legendary, packs an enormous wallop... but is utterly shut down by Protect spam.

Whether they're annoying and whether they're stupid are completely unrelated.
But it's both? Slaking is hard to use in game, and that's a stupid choice to give it an ability. Lower its stats a bit so it has a BST of 580 - 600 or thereabouts, and give it an actual ability. The fact that they haven't done this and that people who want to use Slaking have to put up with is annoying. Something can be both stupid and annoying at the same time, with annoyance being the result of a stupid design choice.

Still doesn't really excuse Truant. Higher BST than a pseudo-legendary, packs an enormous wallop... but is utterly shut down by Protect spam.
That's...the whole point. Gameplay-wise, it's a trade-off that requires unusual approaches to work (and can be shut down by certain approaches). Conceptually, it makes sense. It doesn't need to be "excused."

The amount of petulant whining online that stems from people equating their dislike of or inconvenience from something with that thing actually being bad or wrong is truly, truly amazing.

The amount of petulant whining online that stems from people equating their dislike of or inconvenience from something with that thing actually being bad or wrong is truly, truly amazing.
People are allowed to complain, nothing's perfect. The whole point of this thread is "little things that annoy you", if you wish to interpret that as petulant whining be my guest but that's the point of the thread.

I find something wrong with truant. The unusual trade off is simply too far, as it is very difficult to use Slaking in game thanks to its awful ability (not to mention slow, it's possible to use it but not the greatest thing), and even worse in any form of competitive, including battle facilities. Norman having two as well as it being his signature Pokemon will attract interest in the Pokemon, especially given how Norman is more significant than the other gym leaders. I see issue with that and do think it is wrong, as it turns an otherwise great 'mon into awful. Clearly something else would have to be done, but Truant is too far...

also some kids will be tricked into thinking Vig's evolution won't have Truant as it doesn't have it itself.

also mfw 700th

People are allowed to complain, nothing's perfect. The whole point of this thread is "little things that annoy you", if you wish to interpret that as petulant whining be my guest but that's the point of the thread.
Yes. The claim was made that it's, rather than just personally annoying, "stupid." It's not the complaining that's a problem; it's the belief behind the complaint. Many people wrongly think "I don't like [thing]" and "[thing] is bad" are the same, and complain accordingly.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Slaking's ability, but it's up to the developers exactly how it functions in-game. They could've made it work differently while still providing a decent handicap.

That's...the whole point. Gameplay-wise, it's a trade-off that requires unusual approaches to work (and can be shut down by certain approaches). Conceptually, it makes sense. It doesn't need to be "excused."
tbh i often see a lot of complaining about "x pokemon isnt competitively viable" and that seems wrong to me bc that implies that game freak should be privileging pvp functionality versus gameplay fun. gameplay fun should come first and competitive options second. slaking is a beast to use ingame, absolutely amazing, I know this from experience lmao

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Slaking is the kind of 'mon you switch in to put a dent in stuff, then immediately switch out. Or you can use items every other turn. Truant is simple to work around, but of course you'll run into trouble if you insist on not taking it into account when you play.

Regigigas, though... that's an entirely different beast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)