(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I hate how insanely crippling status moves are from a competitive standpoint, especially paralysis and burn. Completely halving attack and speed is so frustrating and fucks over a Pokemon for the rest of the match. Main reason why scald is ran on every. single. water type. and why every Pokemon and it's mother runs twave if possible.

Maybe make different levels of para/burn kinda like poison with badly burnt reducing your attack by 50% and regular burn reducing by 25%.

URVHSHSHHSNSSBDHSJABS SCREW STATUS
Or just make scald a bloody 10%.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Or just make scald a bloody 10%.
I really don't want to say how many times my Sash Breloom has been burned by a Fire Punch. Once it happened two consecutive games... then proceeded to get Scald burned in the third one. Scald is stupid anyway, but I think that they should just remove the burn chance entirely and give it a high crit rate instead. I mean, getting lit on fire by some hot water makes no sense, but getting hit in, say, the eyes would deal some extra damage. Why are so many of the high crit rate moves physical anyway?
Also, why does the Eon Flute sound eerily similar to the Xtransceiver's ringtone? I can't unhear that now :(

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Burns are like real life burns, that is to say really fucking painful skin wounds. I'm pretty sure a Burned Pokémon isn't on fire, because that would be dumb.

Also, Scald's burn rate being so high is apparently supposed to reflect how hot water burns are more painful than fire burns due to how the heat is transferred more efficiently. Or something.

Burns are like real life burns, that is to say really fucking painful skin wounds. I'm pretty sure a Burned Pokémon isn't on fire, because that would be dumb.

Also, Scald's burn rate being so high is apparently supposed to reflect how hot water burns are more painful than fire burns due to how the heat is transferred more efficiently. Or something.
In the Anime a burnt Pokémon would randomly explode on flames for the battle duration...take that as you want...

THAT is why I suspect that watching the animé would be a lot more fun if I were drunk/high...if I were into that sort of thing (and didn't hate have a strong dislike of any alcoholic beverages/was against putting potentially harmful substances into my body)!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I also wonder one reason Burn decreases Attack is because they wanted something to make it different from Poison. Both makes your Pokemon lose 1/8th of their HP end of every turn. Now Poison has an upgraded version which does more damage every turn which would have left Burn being looked upon as a lesser version of (Badly) Poison. Thus they also decided since physically moving when your burned is difficult they decreased the Attack stat. Also either this was an idea they copied from Paralysis or copied onto Paralysis except its with Speed.

Also in the games the Pokemon glows red when Burned. Okay that's probably a meta thing and only the player sees it but it's better than in the anime where the Pokemon suddenly burst into flames every once in a while (honestly they could have just had the Pokemon covered a bit in soot and I think it would have gotten the point across; when a Pokemon is poisoned in the anime they're face just turns a slight purple).

EDIT:
Okay, going off by what Karxrida said, in Gen III what I described was sort of done. Then in Gen IV they switched to the Pokemon catching on fire time to time. But then in Gen V they had the Pokemon glowing red like in the games. With Gen VI's villains being Team Flare (and their boss using a Pyroar), an Elite Four member being a Fire-type user (and member of Team Flare), and one of the main side characters having a Charizard (and also working for Team Flare) we'll see if Gen VI shows us what its Burn looks like.

But going back to other Status Effects, anyone else think Sleep and Frozen probably should have some additional effect? The sleeping Pokemon is prone yet when its attacked its treated like its norma. Like shouldn't their evasion decrease and the opponent's attack likely to score a critical hit? As for Frozen, well they're being shield by ice so they probably won't have the critical hit thing but once again I think they're evasion might decrease.
But to be fair I think if a Sleeping Pokemon was attacked they'd probably wake up right after and a Frozen Pokemon probably can use certain opponent's attacks to break free (they have fire melting ice but what about Fighting, Steel, and Rock moves shattering it? They're super effective against Ice too).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity (since I bought some), I decided to find out how much an Ability Capsule was worth if I tried to sell it.
500. A 200 BP item is only worth
1000 if I bought it in a store?!?!?!?!
To put that in perspective, vitamins, which are normally worth
9800, cost 2 BP. Really, the Capsule should be about
100,000 (which is, funnily enough, the rough estimate I had before I actually looked up the price of vitamins).

Also, I just noticed something. In the capture tutorial, Calem/Serena have FIFTY Poké Balls. Yet they only have three by Gym 3, four by gym 7, and five at Victory Road. They suuuuck.

I also wonder one reason Burn decreases Attack is because they wanted something to make it different from Poison. Both makes your Pokemon lose 1/8th of their HP end of every turn. Now Poison has an upgraded version which does more damage every turn which would have left Burn being looked upon as a lesser version of (Badly) Poison. Thus they also decided since physically moving when your burned is difficult they decreased the Attack stat. Also either this was an idea they copied from Paralysis or copied onto Paralysis except its with Speed.
Badly Poisoned existed in Generation I as well (Toxic has always done it). It actually combined amazingly with Leech Seed in Generation I, so when you used both, it would increase very rapidly, doing absurb amounts of damage each turn.

Last edited:
I love bears (obviously) but even though we have great or solidly designed bear pokemon they leave a lot to be desired stat-wise. Pangoro is okay, but I really want to see some improvements with Beartic & Ursaring.

I really don't understand why Gamefreak makes them so slow either - bears can outrun an olympian.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Out of curiosity (since I bought some), I decided to find out how much an Ability Capsule was worth if I tried to sell it.
500. A 200 BP item is only worth
1000 if I bought it in a store?!?!?!?!
To put that in perspective, vitamins, which are normally worth
9800, cost 2 BP. Really, the Capsule should be about
100,000 (which is, funnily enough, the rough estimate I had before I actually looked up the price of vitamins).
I think they wanted to encourage you to use it. There's quicker ways to make money so if you're going to grind to get a 200 BP costing item they wanted it to be so you would use it as that's a lot of BP and it would be a waste of time if you were just going to sell it even if it had a high cost (if my math is right, if basing it off the price of the of Vitamins the Ability Capsule should cost 980,000, nearly a million pokedollars).

Also, I just noticed something. In the capture tutorial, Calem/Serena have FIFTY Poké Balls. Yet they only have three by Gym 3, four by gym 7, and five at Victory Road. They suuuuck.
Of, it gets worse. Throughout most of the game many of their Pokemon don't have four moves:

In the tag battle with them against Trevor & Tierno, their Fletchling has 3 moves and their Starter (which has evolved to its mid stage) has 2 (and it's the two moves they had when you first got them!). Their Starter would have other and better moves by (looking it up, Braixen would have Flame Charge (and Howl); Frogadier would have Water Pulse and Lick; and Quilladin would have Rollout, Bite, and Leech Seed).
First official battle & second battle with them their Absol has 3 moves and Starter STILL has 2 (while Frogadier's and Quilladin's look okay, Braixen has skipped Flame Charge for Fire Spin... look, I know it has a higher Special Attack, but at that point in its evolution that doesn't matter as much plus Flame Charge makes it stronger. At least it knows Psybeam).
Third & and tag battle against Celosia & Bryony has Absol knowing all four moves and her Starter has fully evolved... yet still only knows 2 moves (Delphox knowing Mystical Fire at the moment is fine, BUT it has Psybeam when at that point it could has Psyshock (it could also have Light Screen which would be helpful)! Greninja knows Water Shuriken and Quick Attack, by now it could also have Shadow Sneak, Spikes, & Feint Attack. Chesnaught doesn't even get its Signature Move, Spiky Shield).
Fourth battle & tag battle in the Flare HQ she got an Eeveelution member with 3 moves and her Starter, you guessed it, still 2. From here on Delphox moves are what they should be if it could only select two moves. Greninja kept Water Shuriken and has Dark Pulse... wait, DARK PULSE? That's from a TM! They can learn TM moves? And Chesnaught has Brick Break (and Seed Bomb, but that's beside the point) which is also from a TM! WHY AREN'T YOU USING YOUR TM/HMS IF YOU'RE ALLOWED TOO?! And thinking about it at this point they'd also have passed the Move Reminder. So many Moves are now open to them! Delphox could have Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, & Grass Knot. Greninja could have Substitute, Extrasensory, & Surf. Chesnaught can have Hammer Arm, Body Slam, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab, & Power-Up Punch. And not to leave the Eeveelutions out they could have their final move (they choose to keep Lava Plume on Flareon when they could have Flare Blitz... @#$%).
Fifth battle and the Rematches add a Altaria with 3 moves (though most annoyingly it knows Dazzling Gleam when it could have Moonblast), Eeveelutions still 3 though in the rematches have their final move (except Flareon who, instead of Flare Blitz, was taught Fire Blast...), and finally the Starters get a third move.

Serena/Calem fail so hard at being a trainer you actually feel bad for beating them; you're not winning a battle but giving mercy to them by ending the battle as quick as possible so they don't further embarrass themselves. Kalos needs another side thing like Pokemon Contests for them to aspire too.

Badly Poisoned existed in Generation I as well (Toxic has always done it). It actually combined amazingly with Leech Seed in Generation I, so when you used both, it would increase very rapidly, doing absurb amounts of damage each turn.
Oh, speaking of which, I think if a Pokemon is already Poisoned and if you Poison it again it should turn to Badly Poisoned.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I love bears (obviously) but even though we have great or solidly designed bear pokemon they leave a lot to be desired stat-wise. Pangoro is okay, but I really want to see some improvements with Beartic & Ursaring.

I really don't understand why Gamefreak makes them so slow either - bears can outrun an olympian.
Hate to be that guy, but pandas aren't bears.

Hate to be that guy, but pandas aren't bears.
I know, but ironically I included Pangoro in preparation for the "WHAT ABOUT PANGORO" rebuttal to my complaint since most fan art depicts them as a trio. I was considering whether I should have mentioned Spinda too.

Which is even worse imo. Gamefreak can make various well-balanced versions of birds of prey (Staraptor, Braviary, Talonflame, Pidgeot, etc) but not one damn good bear pokemon.

I literally have the same thoughts! While I like the design of ursaring and such, their stats don't do them any justice. Honestly, a full adult male Kodiak bear in my opinion is the most frightening thing in the world, and I believe bear pokemons stats should reflect that. Which brings me to sharks... Same deal with them. Sharpedo is the only real "shark" (half shark) Pokemon. Gamefreak definitely did not capitalize on their awesome/intimidating real animal category.

Serena/Calem fail so hard at being a trainer you actually feel bad for beating them; you're not winning a battle but giving mercy to them by ending the battle as quick as possible so they don't further embarrass themselves. Kalos needs another side thing like Pokemon Contests for them to aspire too.
After that list of utter failures, I'm sure they would screw that up as well. Damn, this really explains why I don't really like them and why my opinion of Brendan/May increased after playing Alpha Sapphire. Maybe it's their lack of hats...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
After that list of utter failures, I'm sure they would screw that up as well. Damn, this really explains why I don't really like them and why my opinion of Brendan/May increased after playing Alpha Sapphire. Maybe it's their lack of hats...
They did a way better job with Brendan/May's team. Why they never get a full party of Pokemon, not even in the final battle, they at least have four moves on their Pokemon (though even they have some derp moments, most notably sometimes their Starter doesn't have a move of one of their types). Though I think the award for best rival in ORAS goes to Wally, especially if Battle Resort team which is one the same level of actual competitive players (and that battle theme)!

But back to XY, I honestly think the best rival is Shauna and Trevor (judging by their final battle with them). Tierno has a gimmick and he sticks to it, so much so his Roserade only know Petal Dance while his other Pokemon only have other moves to take advantage of Swords Dance (and while Crawdaunt's moves are okay, his Talonflame doesn't even know a Fire-type attack). However all of Trevor's Pokemon know four moves and he has a decent team (the moves range from obvious choice to okay but there's better choices. But for a Rival battle they're fine). Shauna however proves she's a better trainer than Calem/Serena as her start knows 3 moves (okay, not that much better but with the move they have I'll give her a pass, her Chesnaught even has Spiky Shield) and also has a Goodra with a full moveset of powerful moves (oh, and she has a Delcatty but it has decent enough Attack, Cute Charm, and being its the first out there's a bit of a surprise factor when she throws out her pseudo Legendary)! Also Shauna did go with you and Calem/Serena through Flare's HQ (and she meets you when you're halfway through so she must have battled a few Flare grunts on her own) and helped you get into the core room. Also she's the only one to give Lysandre and a bit of a counter argument on his idealogy, not even Sycamore did that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And let's not forget that hyenas are basically cats, not kidding members of the feliformia family.

I think the whole panda debate had to do with common ancestry and the skull shape or something, I don't quite recall but those things tied them more to weasels than bears.

Yeah, from what I'm aware of, pandas used to be regarded as closer in relation to raccoons and such (like the red panda), but recently scientists have about faced and now classify them as bears. I'm not a zoology expert, so I'm not really sure about the fine details, but I think they are in a bit of a species limbo right now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And let's not forget that hyenas are basically cats, not kidding members of the feliformia family.

I think the whole panda debate had to do with common ancestry and the skull shape or something, I don't quite recall but those things tied them more to weasels than bears.
Pandas are raccoons.
Hyena are cats.
T-rexes are chickens.
Tomatoes are fruits.
Pluto is a dwarf planet.
Holding A, B, and down doesn't garuntee you'll capture a Pokemon.

EVERYTHING I LEARNED AS A KID WAS A LIE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)