(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Unown Issue: The problem with Unown is that they're not treated like a Pokemon but rather a story device. They're made mysterious, used as an ancient form of language, are told in great numbers are reality warpers... which doesn't mean a thing when at most you can only have 6 on your party. They're also meant to be a gimmick to do what Cresselia~~ did, give kids a "secret" language to write in (I remember in my elementary school a class did a project where they were suppose to make up their own language... except some kids used the Unown because like the teacher would know). Still, I myself messed with the idea of improving the Unown and this is what I concluded:

1. You shouldn't mess with their stats, at best re-arrange them but the Unown are meant to be weak on their own. A gimmick to make them stronger should require you to use multiple Unown (preferably of different letters).
2. It's not a bad idea to give them different Abilities based on the Unowndex words they represent, but you need to be aware of a few things. First I think you should stick to using existing Abilities instead of making new ones, it'll get messy quickly. Second you can't really got alphabetical as each language spell Abilities differently and/or their alphabet doesn't match up exactly with others. Instead the "flavor" of the word the Unowndex should be considered. Like in the Unown Dex they have "A"'s word being "Anger". So some Abilities that would match it would be Anger Point, Intimidate, Mold Breaker, Moody, Pressure, & Unnerve.
3. Also when picking Abilities you gotta keep in mind Unown can only learn Hidden Power, a move who's Type changes depending on the Pokemon's IVs (so Abilities involving the user's move types are out), is Special (so Abilities involving user's moves being Physical are out), and is an attack (so Abilities involving user's status moves out out). You gotta make sure Unown can actually use the Ability that's given it.
4. For making Unown actually stronger, you could do a few things but, as I said, it must involve multiple Unown as that's it gimmick. First you can disregard giving each on their own Ability and instead give them a unique Ability where if you have more than one Unown in your party they're stats receive a bit increase. Or instead of an Ability it can be an item, make a series of 6 items where when multiple Unown are holding them they get a stat increases.
5. As a cherry on top, since Unown is so linked to Hidden Power maybe having Hidden Power having additional effects just for Unown wouldn't be a bad idea. And if not from the move itself maybe that unique Ability or Items I mentioned in point 4 could unlock it.

Still, despite all this I don't think Unown would ever be that great, at best making it tolerable or having a useful gimmick.

Stuff about Unown.
And then people learn of Species Clause in PS :-P.

As for annoyances, I would say Version Exclusive Mega Stones is a big annoyance, personally. People would restart a game to get Legendaries since it is you know, a Legendary which many would trade for but who would trade their one-of-a-kind Mega Stone to you? This also makes it annoying if you had traded the Stone to someone and changed your mind on using certain Pokemon later on. It is even worse if you accidentally traded the Stone away. At least make all the Mega Stone available at post-game regardless of version (since getting Version Exclusive Pokemon is easy via GTS or trade forums).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And then people learn of Species Clause in PS :-P.

As for annoyances, I would say Version Exclusive Mega Stones is a big annoyance, personally. People would restart a game to get Legendaries since it is you know, a Legendary which many would trade for but who would trade their one-of-a-kind Mega Stone to you? This also makes it annoying if you had traded the Stone to someone and changed your mind on using certain Pokemon later on. It is even worse if you accidentally traded the Stone away. At least make all the Mega Stone available at post-game regardless of version (since getting Version Exclusive Pokemon is easy via GTS or trade forums).
Can you turn Species Clause off? Though I think if they ever implement a mechanic for Unown that require having multiple they can make an exception (or have the game consider each Unown form as its own Pokemon).

Well XY only had version exclusive Mega Stones, in ORAS you can get all of them. I do agree though, post game there should be a way to get the other Mega Stones you don't have, maybe showing you have the Pokemon to the Professor or someone and they'll give you the stone so at least you're required to get the Pokemon. Also, don't do the Version Exclusive Pokemon in X game while its Mega Stone is in Y game nonsense. If the Pokemon is in that version of the game and you can get it during the main game have its Mega Stone accessible.

Can you turn Species Clause off? Though I think if they ever implement a mechanic for Unown that require having multiple they can make an exception (or have the game consider each Unown form as its own Pokemon).

Well XY only had version exclusive Mega Stones, in ORAS you can get all of them. I do agree though, post game there should be a way to get the other Mega Stones you don't have, maybe showing you have the Pokemon to the Professor or someone and they'll give you the stone so at least you're required to get the Pokemon. Also, don't do the Version Exclusive Pokemon in X game while its Mega Stone is in Y game nonsense. If the Pokemon is in that version of the game and you can get it during the main game have its Mega Stone accessible.
Exactly! I know there's some poor sap somewhere in the world who has the tyranitrite but no way to get tyranitar.

So the Sinnoh Classic was announced and these are the Pokémon not allowed.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus .

Is there a -specific- reason Dragonite and Tyranitar are banned while Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp are allowed to roam free?
Not to mention Heatran who has consistently been not banned from VGC as it's not a box or event legendary.

So the Sinnoh Classic was announced and these are the Pokémon not allowed.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus .

Is there a -specific- reason Dragonite and Tyranitar are banned while Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp are allowed to roam free?
Not to mention Heatran who has consistently been not banned from VGC as it's not a box or event legendary.
I have to point out that, for the first time ever (iirc) Phione is not banned from an online tournament!!

Also, Latios and Latias are not banned, and (so far what I have read) Soul Dew isn't banned either, which is HUGE

But I have a question, is there a reason to allow #001 to #493, but ban 490 to 493 anyways? why not just allow from #001 to #489?

Maybe they will reveal a reason for banning tyranitar and dragonite, but I really have no idea what it could be. And if lati@s and the soul dew really are allowed... Dang, it's abouta get real.

Soul dew allowed...

Jesus Christ, this is going to be a bloodbath.

No heatran, no Ttar... Are they expecting people to rely on cleffairy/weavile cores to survive?

Man I can't joke about phione anymore, Heatran finally banned in VGC too... That's disturbing.

I just checked the offcial rules, and it is confirmed that the only items banned are the Mega Stones (and all the unreleased items I assume)

The Soul Dew hype is real guys

But who cares?! We have Phione now! Lets Tail Glow to victory!!!

What do you mean with "Phione doesn't get Tail Glow"? *sigh* At least I can use a CM set, rigth?

*checks Bulbapedia*

What the hell Gamefreak?!!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hm, you'd think for the Sinnoh Classic they would restrict things to make you use the Sinnoh Pokemon more. Like ban Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, & Metagross so people would be more willing to use Garchomp. Allow Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus since they're the Sinnoh Legendaries and ban all the others. Maybe even ban all the Starters except the Sinnoh ones. If you're going to add limitations at least have them make sense.

It's probably a good thing that Megas are banned. Otherwise we'd have Megazard X/Y running around 24/7 virtually unchecked by anything without Heatran around to wall it. All I can say about Soul Dew being legal is: bring Focus Sashes.

The motto of Sinnoh Classic:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Latios/Latias was a popular core. Choice one, Soul dew the other and wreak havoc as your opponent struggles to figure out which one has the Soul Dew and which one is choiced. Wouldn't be a surprise if Knock Off and Sucker Punch are especially popular. Assault Vest Metagross might be a good choice, as it has the bulk to absorb Psyshock or a Draco, and respond with Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. SkarmChans may also make a comeback depending on how it goes.
Also, if this is in fact singles, I'm bringing a Moody Bibarel along for giggles, because there's nothing more enjoyable than proving to GF that Moody is a hilariously broken ability.

It's probably a good thing that Megas are banned. Otherwise we'd have Megazard X/Y running around 24/7 virtually unchecked by anything without Heatran around to wall it. All I can say about Soul Dew being legal is: bring Focus Sashes.

The motto of Sinnoh Classic:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Latios/Latias was a popular core. Choice one, Soul dew the other and wreak havoc as your opponent struggles to figure out which one has the Soul Dew and which one is choiced. Wouldn't be a surprise if Knock Off and Sucker Punch are especially popular. Assault Vest Metagross might be a good choice, as it has the bulk to absorb Psyshock or a Draco, and respond with Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. SkarmChans may also make a comeback depending on how it goes.
Also, if this is in fact singles, I'm bringing a Moody Bibarel along for giggles, because there's nothing more enjoyable than proving to GF that Moody is a hilariously broken ability.
What I want to run

Latios @ Soul Dew
- Some Dragon Move
- Some Psychic Move
- Coverage I guess
- Protect

Weavile @ Choice Band (I'm not sure if LO OHKOes, but maybe some people will run defense on Latias to tank a LO Knock)
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Poison Jab
- Ice Shard / Protect (if Life Orb)

What I want to run

Latios @ Soul Dew
- Some Dragon Move
- Some Psychic Move
- Coverage I guess
- Protect

Weavile @ Choice Band (I'm not sure if LO OHKOes, but maybe some people will run defense on Latias to tank a LO Knock)
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Poison Jab
- Ice Shard / Protect (if Life Orb)
I'm pretty sure it's a singles tournament, like every Classic so far and Weavile isn't going to do much if either Lati is scarfed.
Besides your moveset format is all wrong. Let me correct it for you:

Latios @ Soul Dew
- Draco Meteor
- Draco Meteor
- Draco Meteor
- I Really Only Need Draco Meteor But I Guess I Want Coverage For Some Unknown Reason

I'm pretty sure it's a singles tournament, like every Classic so far and Weavile isn't going to do much if either Lati is scarfed.
Besides your moveset format is all wrong. Let me correct it for you:

Latios @ Soul Dew
- Draco Meteor
- Draco Meteor
- Draco Meteor
- I Really Only Need Draco Meteor But I Guess I Want Coverage For Some Unknown Reason
Fairies = Unknown Reason

I almost feel compelled to post the avengers "I get that reference" for that.

Its honestly either a stroke of genius or they just don't want Ttar threatening the Draco drops.

The fact that you didn't showed your weakness.
On the actual reason: that's...actually kinda brilliant. Brilliance ruined by Soul Dews, but brilliance still.

So it's going full Diamond and Pearl then? Because Heatran was Level 50 in Platinum.
I feel that's an oversight...since they are allowing Regigigas who was Level 70 in Diamond and Pearl and Level 1 in Platinum.

Unless they're doing weird oddities like: You can't get a competitive Heatran in Gen IV that's below level 50 because you need to raise it one level for the EVs to affect it.

idk, that's the only logical explanation I can think besides being an oversight on their part.

I feel that's an oversight...since they are allowing Regigigas who was Level 70 in Diamond and Pearl and Level 1 in Platinum.

Unless they're doing weird oddities like: You can't get a competitive Heatran in Gen IV that's below level 50 because you need to raise it one level for the EVs to affect it.

idk, that's the only logical explanation I can think besides being an oversight on their part.
I suppose that could be an explanation... but then what about others you can't get below Level 50 like the Legendary Birds? I don't think there were any Level <50 legendary birds in Gen 3 and 4. Unless I missed a weird event...
Though there was an event that specifically gave you a Level 50 Dragonite just so you could use it in competitive.

And what do we get exactly for going to this bloodbath of a tournament? I mean, if I'm going to raise my Latios and maybe give an appropriate moveset to my Latias, it had better be worth my time (I have work, and I need to soft-reset for the rest of the legendaries before S/M)! I'd love a shiny Shaymin, but then again, when is the last time we've gotten unique prizes for participating? HA Amura?

Edit: Cynthia's Garchomp?! Are you kidding me?! I already have a shiny Garchomp (incidentally named Cynthia), and all of it's moves are moves I could easily teach to that one, or a new Gible should I get around to breeding one! And this one's not even Shiny! Yeah, I think it'd be a waste of my time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)