(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Wrong thread.
I think he implied that Game Freak never paid attention to small details like that and it would be nice to see them acknowledged. (Well, we can argue that the starters get boxed but that is for another thread).

My annoyance: The moves of the Event Pokemon is pretty meh, imo. The recently announced Diancie has Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam in the same moveset (although why you want both is stupid; one is for Singles, the other for Doubles. Not to mention you can simply TM the Dazzling Gleam if you want).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wrong thread.
Since I edited in that last second I kind of rushed my wording. I didn't have time to write out a whole paragraph before some people would read the post so I just turned it into a question. But now that you posted I can turn it into a proper thing that annoyed me:

The Kanto Starters that your XY rival and Shauna got. Seriously, why didn't they use them? It's not like they don't have room on their team. Shauna's final battle with you (her second battle at the very end of the game... that reminds me of another annoyance, but first let's get through this one) has her using 3 Pokemon (Delcatty, Goodra, & Kalos Starter) and Serena/Calem didn't have a full team until the rematch against her in Kiloude City! They could have easily placed the Kanto Starter on their team. Also didn't they get the Mega Stone for their Kanto Starter? Honestly post game they should have had the characters give you their Kanto Starter Mega Stone since Serena decided her Mega Pokemon would be Absol and Shauna doesn't have a Key Stone.

Going off that, I would think the point of having multiple rivals is so we could have a different rival battle experience instead of the same one just with stronger Pokemon. They did it in BW and though Cheren was the "main" rival you still battled Bianca plenty of times. But the rivals in XY? You mainly battle Serena/Calem while Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor are only fought 2 or 3 times. "Well, that's still like 7 battles, right"? Wrong. Shauna you battle as the "tutorial" when you get your Starter, Tierno and Trevor have a Tag Battle against you, and then all 3 of them battle you in a row near the end of the game. Tierno has one extra battle with you on Route 5 but he only uses one Pokemon... but I don't count it since he uses only one Pokemon THAT DOESN'T HAVE AN ATTACKING MOVE! Look, there's a difference between setting up a character as a friend and as one as a rival. Honestly being Tierno and Trever have NO interest in training Pokemon they shouldn't have been considered rivals. Or since we're suppose to be on this journey together how about have them frequently appear in town/city somewhere and if you talk with them you can have an optional battle with them if they didn't want to force you in one.

Last edited:
I think he implied that Game Freak never paid attention to small details like that and it would be nice to see them acknowledged. (Well, we can argue that the starters get boxed but that is for another thread).

My annoyance: The moves of the Event Pokemon is pretty meh, imo. The recently announced Diancie has Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam in the same moveset (although why you want both is stupid; one is for Singles, the other for Doubles. Not to mention you can simply TM the Dazzling Gleam if you want).
Well, you can change the moveset on your own. You can just switch the one of Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam that you don't want for Earth Power, which is very good for Diancie. As long as the Pokemon come with their signature move, and the rest for a competitive moveset is obtainable through TM or move tutor, I don't see any problems with this.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What do you mean ?
Corphish has Vice Grip and Swords Dance to boost his damage !

And maybe, it's unpopular, but I love having more and more rivals !
Oh wow, how did I miss that. Well I take it back then, but he still only uses one Pokemon which has no STAB when you'll have gotten your first badge and the Kanto Starter.

Well, you can change the moveset on your own. You can just switch the one of Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam that you don't want for Earth Power, which is very good for Diancie. As long as the Pokemon come with their signature move, and the rest for a competitive moveset is obtainable through TM or move tutor, I don't see any problems with this.
Though it would be nice if it came with a special move of some kind, like maybe Power Gem and/or Play Rough.

True, it's just kind of cringey when the video says "Diancie comes Battle Ready!"

It's like the "Battle Ready" Dragonite they just gave which is Adamant Nature (alright, might be better as Jolly but we'll roll with it) with Dragon Dance (good), Outrage (alright), Extreme Speed (that's a nice egg move to add on), annnddd Hurricane (what? With THAT nature?)
And you even have to soft reset for good IVs. I was particulary disappointed that the Halloween Gengar was not even nature-locked into Timid or Modest, when that was the only way to get a Sludge Wave pentagon Gengar, and it even was shiny.

I've been meaning say this for a while, but I hate how they changed Rock Cannon, it's translated name, to the lame name of Rock Wrecker.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've been meaning say this for a while, but I hate how they changed Rock Cannon, it's translated name, to the lame name of Rock Wrecker.
Shell Blade to Razor Shell is even worse, I think. And Serebii originally translated Aura Sphere as "Pulse Bomb", which is a much better name. Not to mention all the misunderstandings arising from the choice of words in Aerial Ace (hi, Diglett!), Sucker Punch (hi, Gastly!), Faint Attack (Faint as in "hard to see", not "fainting" - it's right there in the animation) and Tail Glow (not learnable by Ampharos, which only makes sense if you know the Japanese name). Dynamic Punch is also a pretty poor name. I liked the move much better as a kid, when I misread it to be "Dynamitpunch". But "dynamic"? Really? What's dynamic about exploding punches?

What ISN'T dynamic about exploding punches?

But I digress, Aura Sphere is a fine sounding name if only way too literal (they've been calling all of that aura anyways so a sphere made from it is about as blunt of a name for the attack that you can get)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's like the "Battle Ready" Dragonite they just gave which is Adamant Nature (alright, might be better as Jolly but we'll roll with it) with Dragon Dance (good), Outrage (alright), Extreme Speed (that's a nice egg move to add on), annnddd Hurricane (what? With THAT nature?)
Actually it's Nature wasn't set. I don't know what they consider "Battle Ready" is because technically any Pokemon with an attack move is "battle ready". It's whether they're any good at battling is the issue. I don't want to say Smogon's movelist is the be all end all (there's other sites, Smogon is just the most well known), but if you're just throwing together these Events which it seemed like they did for Dragonite and now Diancie and you aren't going to give it any special moves just copy something from a competitive website (and maybe from there you can give it a special move).

Looking through Smogon's Dragonite sets, there's one with similar moves as the one given away:

Dragonite's Dragon Dance Set:
Ability:
Multiscale
Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Extreme Speed, Earthquake
"Special": Obviously they wanted Dragonite to have a Flying-type move because its part Flying-type. Problem is the physical Flying-type moves that Dragonite can learn don't pack much power and/or comes with a severe drawback (Fly is its strongest but it takes two turns to do meaning your opponent has a free switch). If they really want to stick with Brave Bird only being on bird (and bat) Pokemon then how about Dragon Ascent. What? Dragonite is a dragon, infact he's the original dragon Pokemon. I think he can have it. For what move they'll replace, being Earthquake can be learn by TM they can replace it with that.

And looking up Diancie, ONCE AGAIN I found one with similar moves:

Diancie's Offensive Set:
Ability:
Clear Body
Item: Diancite
Nature: Naive
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves: Moonblast, Diamond Storm, Earth Power, Protect
"Special": You know what Diancie is missing? A good special Rock-type move and physical Fairy-type move. If only there was a Rock-type move that would use the energy of its gems while there's a Fairy-type move that would let it get down and dirty while fighting... Seriously, why doesn't Dianice learn Power Gem naturally! IT'S A LIVING DIAMOND! It's not like Diamond Storm replaced it because DS is a Physical move! I can understand why it wouldn't learn Play Rough naturally, prim and proper princess and all, but for a special event Pokemon I think they can make an exception. Would probably replace Earth Power and Protect but only so that the player has a choice what to keep, I wouldn't call it "battle ready" if I did that but build up a "what move would you choose".

There, not so hard now, was it?

Shell Blade to Razor Shell is even worse, I think. And Serebii originally translated Aura Sphere as "Pulse Bomb", which is a much better name. Not to mention all the misunderstandings arising from the choice of words in Aerial Ace (hi, Diglett!), Sucker Punch (hi, Gastly!), Faint Attack (Faint as in "hard to see", not "fainting" - it's right there in the animation) and Tail Glow (not learnable by Ampharos, which only makes sense if you know the Japanese name). Dynamic Punch is also a pretty poor name. I liked the move much better as a kid, when I misread it to be "Dynamitpunch". But "dynamic"? Really? What's dynamic about exploding punches?
Kind of like Rock Wrecker, though saying it over and over it does sound like a name of a wrestler or super hero. :P I guess they changed it because maybe they felt the "cannon" part would make people think its a Special move? Moves I don't understand are the ones which as essentially the same so why change the name slightly? Codraroll mentioned a few but here's one where I think the translation team kind of screwed themselves later on. Now translating moves is sometimes difficult due to the moves being a reference to something Japanese, Aerial Ace being one of these examples. Another is Assist which in Japan is called Cat's Paw which comes from a Japanese saying of someone needing help so desperately they'd even take a "cat's hand" (cat's help). Now had they not used Copycat that would have been the perfect name replacement for that move. So what is the move we call Copycat called in Japan that required the name change? Copycat's Japanese name is Imitate... YOU COULD HAVE KEPT THAT! What's wrong with Imitate? By needlessly changing the name you ended up later on losing out on a pun! *sigh*

I would have maybe changed Aura Sphere into "Aura Pulse" because it's part of the "Pulse" move series and Lucario's ability to sense the "pulse" was changed to it being able to sense "aura". Yet with all that said Mega Lucario is made into a more physical Pokemon and so doesn't get Mega Launcher (why is it called Mega Launcher, shouldn't it be called Mega Pulse or Mega Pulser?).

BTW since Gen VI Faint Attack has be changed to Feint Attack. Oh GF, did you really think no one would notice? :P

Dynamic Punch (or originally DynamicPunch) sort of makes sense as Explosion Punch wouldn't fit at the time (though ExplodePunch would). It wasn't DynamitePunch since the limit was 12 letters.

Last edited:
Getting Wide Guard onto Aegislash. This is worse than how I originally got a perfect Gengar using three different Ghost-types to get to the final result.
See, Aegislash gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Dwebble.
Dwebble gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Paras.
Paras gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Turtwig.
Turtwig gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Mudkip.
Mudkip gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Mantine, Alomomola, and the Tirtouga line. That's six generations total, no counting the work needed to get perfect IVs and the correct nature. SIX. GENERATIONS. TO. GET. ONE. MOVE.
*takes deep breath*

EDIT:
In ORAS you can get it from Probopass, who learns it via level-up.
Well, my rage was for nothing.

Last edited:
Getting Wide Guard onto Aegislash. This is worse than how I originally got a perfect Gengar using three different Ghost-types to get to the final result.
Mudkip gets Wide Guard as an egg move from Mantine, Alomomola, and the Tirtouga line. That's six generations total, no counting the work needed to get perfect IVs and the correct nature. SIX. GENERATIONS. TO. GET. ONE. MOVE.
*takes deep breath*
So that's why every Japanese honedge had that move, for the swag!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
*takes deep breath*
In ORAS you can get it from Probopass, who learns it via level-up.

New (Little) Annoyance: One more customizable thing I'd like to see, what type of Key Stone we get. The player only has the Mega Ring (XY)/Mega Bangle (ORAS) which is pretty much a bracelet, but look at all the other ways other people have their Key Stone:

Lysandre is literally a Mega Ring, as in a ring that fits around your finger.
Korrina has a Mega Glove.
Diantha has a Mega Charm.
Steven has a Mega Stickpin.
Maxie has Mega Glasses.
Archie has a Mega Anchor.
Lisia has a Mega Tiara.
Wally has a Mega Pendent.
Zinnia has a Mega Anklet.
In Contests the boy gets a Mega Cuff while the girl gets a Mega Charm (not like Diantha's. Diantha's hangs from a necklace while in Contests the girl's hangs from her cuff).
In the anime we see a Mega Earring, Mega Umbrella, Mega Ascot, and Mega Cane.

Though speaking of special ways of wearing your Key Stone, the Hoenn Elite Four just get a Key Stone yet its not specified where they have it. Do they have a Ring/Bangle/Bracelet like we have? Personally I'd think Sidney would have a Mega Watch, Phoebe her own Mega Anklet (or maybe Mega Flower?), Glacia would be a Mega Choker, and Drake would be a Mega Hat/Cap.

*takes deep breath*

EDIT:

Well, my rage was for nothing.
That's where Wonder Trade comes in handy. I didn't even know it was that hard especially since I got dozens in one day sometimes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)