(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Here's a little complaint: how the Shuppets who pop up in the Mt. Pyre Horde Encounter have Shadow Sneak. Yeah, they aren't taking out my Blastoise any time soon, but it just slows down Horde Training.
I actually went out and got the Power Bracer just so I could spend as little time as possible in there. My Swampert also has an even 25 PP between Earthquake and Surf, so I don't have to go and heal.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Here's a little complaint: how the Shuppets who pop up in the Mt. Pyre Horde Encounter have Shadow Sneak. Yeah, they aren't taking out my Blastoise any time soon, but it just slows down Horde Training.
Don't try def EV training with Route 111 Sandshrews then. X_X

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
As I mentioned in the ORAS Breeding/Training thread, I never noticed this problem because I use a Teddiursa with the Pickup Ability that know Sweet Scent, Earthquake, and Hyper Voice. If I had been using something else, I'm sure I would have been annoyed by that too.

As I mentioned in the ORAS Breeding/Training thread, I never noticed this problem because I use a Teddiursa with the Pickup Ability that know Sweet Scent, Earthquake, and Hyper Voice. If I had been using something else, I'm sure I would have been annoyed by that too.
I've got a Scrappy Exploud with Boomburst, so I might actually start using that and just take the Specs off it to deal with Frisk.

Here's something that has been a problem since Generation III that I've only really recently noticed with my new Rayquaza:
The menu sprites aren't different when a Pokémon is shiny. I mean, look:

Not Shiny

Shiny
This annoys me since I would like to see the shininess outside of looking at the Pokémon directly. I also have a similar complaint with Hippowdon's gender differences, though the Frillish line has different menu sprites.

EDIT: I hate when the AI cheats. When I'm bored but I don't feel like actually playing against someone, I go into my Vs. Recorder. One battle I have is a Double Battle against a Smeargle and a Mega Kangaskhan as the leads. I normally have a T-tar out in front that has Superpower. Superpower can KO either of them (well, Kanga with help from Excadrill's Rock Slide). But here is what happens: if I pick Kanga, Smeargle will use Dark Void, as it should anyway. But if I pick Smeargle, it uses Spiky Shield! This happens most of the time.

Last edited:
More complaints, because why not.

• If I could smash the Eon Flute, I would.
I admit, using it for the first time was awesome. You could see the Hoenn spread out below you and there was a nice uplifting song to go with it (during the day, at least). But all of that got old faster than a Rapidash.

The whole 'wheee look at your lati transform' cutscene started to seem longer and longer. Yes, I know my Lati can mega-evolve. Is it too much to ask to just let me get to where I need to without being reminded of it?

And if I could just ignore that damn flute, I would have been fine with that. One way to skip the cutscene is to just let the damn thing rot in my bag, right?

Not if you want those Mirage Spots 'mons sister. (And who doesn't want to SR for a legitimate Shiny Reshiram after all these years?)

I go to these spots/islands/Hoopa storage outlets so often that I'm forced to use that flute over and over again. Especially when I'm SRing for something like a Landorus. I can't even Flute once and just save at the spot. That would be be too easy. Instead I need to Flute each time I reset the game. Obviously, Nintendo doesn't want me to have VGC viable legends.

And then I had the bright idea of adding it to my registered items.

Now, my finger sometimes slips and I end up using the the flute instead of my Mach Bike. Or Rod. Or whatever I wanted to actually use.

So I soar into the sky, watch the damn sequence and.... have to fly all the way back to where I came from.

Is it any wonder that I still use my Fly Talonflame?

• The unsweet scent
Oh yeah, and I get annoyed when the Sweet Scent animation still plays when you use it in a place with no mons.

I mean, it was an accident that I used it in a building. Do I still need to see the pink fumes?

Last edited:
Welp, I just made a post on my own thread about how Colosseum is the best fucking thing ever and makes you use things that would in other games be considered weak and useless, but let's make a post to the contrary.
Now okay, most of the Pokémon that still aren't really usable in Colosseum - aside from of course aftergame captures like Ursaring - are Pokémon that could never really be good no matter what you do. I mean, can you really do anything to Yanma to make it good? In Gen 3? It's movepool is still complete booty, it's stats are still ass and it's abilities are eh. Only thing it could hope for was next gen - lo and behold, Yanmega came with good stats, and the special split and move expansions gave it Bug Buzz and Air Slash to work with. Was possible in the gen shift, not so much in a side game.
But there is one Pokémon in the game that annoys me. Because Colosseum could so easily have made it really good but seemed to purposefully advocate against you using it by making it horrible in every sense of the word.
That Pokémon in Plusle.
Yes, I realize what I'm saying. I'm saying Plusle could have been useful. You're either shaking your head or blinking at the screen right now, but really, it could have worked! To give some context, Colosseum has extremely limited Pokémon choices. As noted in my "things you like about Pokémon" post, FURRET was made into a good Pokémon! FURRET! And you know what? With that in mind, Plusle wouldn't be too bad - after all, it has 85 special attack which is very passable in this game and 95 speed which works for outspeeding almost everything in the game granted level-ups and EVs. Also top this off with the fact there are only two other electric-types in the game- Flaaffy and Raikou. Both are excellent for obvious reasons, but Ampharos takes a slower bulky route whereas Plusle has a different niche as a faster electric-type (if you want to go with something that traditional as with say Raichu and Manectric), and Raikou is extremely hard to catch, comes late-game and it's only STAB is the unreliable Thunder. Albeit, there are many rain-dancers in the game but it's nice to just have something like Thunderbolt to quickly and reliably dispatch of foes. So Plusle could fulfill a niche of actually being useful by being an early-game faster, supportive electric-type with reliable moves. Colosseum could make this work very, very well.

Plusle is in fact less usable than Yanma. Why? Well... let's go with a bit more context. In contrast to most games, you start off the game with a Level 25 Espeon and Level 26 Umbreon. Yes, that's right - not Level 5, you are thrust in with the levels suiting something of a mid-game Pokémon. I believe this to be a pretty nice advantage to the game btw; it's a nice toss-around of the formula that puts you right in the action. It's a nice change of pace. Anyway, I digress - from there, the second area of the game has you catching Pokémon from level 30-33. While Shadow Pokémon can't level up until they're purified, the average level of your team by the time you've finished this part of the game should be around 33, with your Espeon and/or Umbreon being this level too.
So why in fuck's name, at this point in the game, do you get a Plusle at LEVEL 13. 13. It just... boggles the mind completely. I can't even wrap my head around what made them think this was a good choice. It's an inanely low level. Now I mean, there's a few other unusable Pokémon in the game such as the aforementioned Yanma and aftergame things like Ursaring and Togetic... but those were mostly there to allow you to get every Johto Pokémon (aside from Lugia and Unown) onto your copy of Ruby or Sapphire. The game came with every Johto 'mon in the dex aside from certain Kanto evolutions, Lugia, Unown and things you could usually get in Ruby and Sapphire like Lanturn and Marill. So one of the big draws to the game would be to get Pokémon that are either hard to get or you can't get in RS. There's some Hoenn natives sprinkled in but this is mostly to allow other options and/or to get you Pokémon like Flygon or Metagross which are a pain to train up and evolve in Ruby and Sapphire.
But that can't be the case at all for Plusle because it's easy as hell to find in Hoenn and it comes at such a low level that it's completely unusable! It doesn't even come with any special moves; it comes with the usual shitty selection you have! It could have at LEAST come at Level 30 - it's still relatively low and requires a bit of training to be on par but it would have been usable! It could have come with decent TMs like Thunderbolt and Light Screen and... and at this point I don't know why they bothered! They could have made it good - hell, it's backstory is that it comes from a guy who OWNED A BATTLE COLOSSEUM! What even?! It could have had decent moves, come at a decent level and become a usable electric-type for you. It would have been one of the only things in the game that could have Helping Hand; extremely useful in a game where every battle is a double! The only others are Espeon, Umbreon and Furret - all good and extremely usable but another user certainly would have been good! It could have been the only Thunder Wave user aside from Flaaffy, very good in a game where you have to catch everything you come across! It would have been the only thing with Helping Hand + Thunder Wave, all while being fast and providing decent offensive pressure with STAB Thunderbolt off a decent Special Attack stat and... argh, jeez, why are you level 13?!

also the game gives you plusle but not minun wtf

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hyper Cutter:
I'm going to assume you meant Flare Blitz and not Brave Bird... that said if you're running a Physical Talonflame (which you should because Gale Wing Brave Bird (though I suppose if they gave it Hurricane maybe a Special Talonflame could be viable)) you'll only need Brave Bird and Flare Blitz. Heck, some battle sets forgo Flare Blitz and just has its only attack be Brave Bird with the other Roost/Will-o-Wisp/Taunt/Bulk Up. Let's be honest, Talonflame is a one-trick bird. It's a very good trick that made him OU, but still one-trick nonetheless. If you can find a way to shut it down, I don't think it'll be staying in battle for long. ;)

Also Physical Fire-type move? Yeah... I really feel bad for Physical Fire-types that don't have any limbs. They got only Flare Blitz and that's it. Even then the other Physical Fire-type moves are either signature Legendary moves (V-Create and Sacred Fire) or subpar in power (Blaze Kick is 85, Fire Punch is 75, and Fire Fang is 65). And then there's Heat Crash which Emboar can sort of use, but it's honestly better off with Flare Blitz/Fire Punch.

Darth Manaphy:
Wait, Greninja has a higher Special Attack even though its movepool is more Physical and its SIGNATURE MOVE is Physical... what's with Water-type Starters doing that? They did the same thing with Samurott. Movepool and Signature Move is Physical based, Special Attack is higher offense stat. Do the stat and movepool not talk with each other to make sure the Pokemon is getting what it needs to be the most effective? Actually are the stat team even seeing the Pokemon's design? Do they just look at the typing and go "a Water Starter? Make is Special focused. Huh? It's suppose to be a samurai/ninja? Okay, make it offense focused BUT keep Special Attack higher. Why? It's a Water-type, that what they do? No, don't talk with the Movepool team, only you don't know type tropes". Meanwhile the movepool team is going "Oh, so it can use its shell like a sword/fights light a ninja? Well obviously it's a physical attacker. Shouldn't we check with the stat guys wat they're doing? Nah, only a dummy wouldn't look at the design and just make assumption based on, I don't know, just type". As you can see I don't have a positive look on corporate communication, mainly because those two words are an oxymoron.

Detective Barricade:
Serial codes are useful if you want to have the event be exclusive to something like a magazine, something you signed up for, a game store, etc.. The problem here is that in other regions the Shiny Rayquaza was from the Internet... except in the UK. Why? It's such an unneeded step to something which wasn't exclusive anywhere else and shouldn't be there as well. And it's not like its a serial code only UK Pokemon Club members got, no, that would have at least made some sense. Instead they need to go out to a specific store meaning some fans are wrongly getting cutoff simply because they don't have that store near them.

Then again, I never understood how Pokemon decided what Events they did where. You'd think that every place would somehow get the same event in one form or another, right? NOPE! It's like they're placing what Events are done in a game of darts. *throws dart* Japan & UK gets *throws dart* Mega Charizard event while *throws dart* US only get *thrown dart* Mega Bug event. *throws dart* Everywhere but *throws dart* UK gets *throws dart* Shiny Rayqauza event by *throws dart* WiFi meanwhile UK *throws dart* gets it by serial code. Hmm, actually I don't think I have a positive look on any corporate decision making.

Vader_the_White:
Yeah, kind of odd how in HGSS they found the time to give all Pokemon their Shiny palette if you choose to have them walk yet not have time to change the two frames of animation of the menu sprites. It should be an easy thing to do, I doubt the menu sprites use that many colors so they could just use a palette swap program. I can only assume the reason they don't is because only the trainer sees the Menu sprite except in battles but for battles if they keep the Menu sprite as is then they can surprise the opponent by sending out a Shiny Pokemon. Still, would rather see a Shiny Menu Sprite, if they need a reason it could help with the PC sorting if you misplace a Shiny. Ooh, and maybe as a bonus they can have "sparkles" appearing in the empty space around it. :P

For me its always been the AI just so happening to send out a Pokemon that has an advantage over my first Pokemon several battles in a row.

BriarRose:
Pokemon really needs to put in options to skip cutscenes like that. And maybe ask if we're sure if we want to use items that'll take us to a new screen like the Eon Flute; they do it for the moves Fly, Teleport, and Dig when you select them. Speaking of which, the game should tell the player "Sweet Scent won't work here" if there's no Pokemon in the area.

Ugh, and the Legendaries who are in the sky rifts/storm are very annoying because of that. Couldn't you just have an island get caught in a storm/anomaly instead of being in the sky so I can save IN FRONT of the ring? Instead of like 30 seconds before it?

And I always used by Skarmory to fly me around if I don't need to go to a Mirage Spot, heck I use it to fly back when I'm done what I needed to do on a Mirage Spot.

Kurona:
Didn't Chuggaaconroy complain about that in his Colosseum playthrough? Actually he did more then complained, he revealed that in the data for the game a Shadow Minun WAS SCRAPPED! Had they just increases Plusle's level to around the same as the Shadow Pokemon you were catching in that area at the time and given one of the trainers in Pyrite Cave the Shadow Minun (I would say give it to Miror B but if mess up catching it that'll kind of miss the point of adding it in) we could have actually maybe see them in action. But why would you want Pokemon who's Ability and moves are made for Double Battles in a game where Double Battles ARE THE STANDARD! Such a missed opportunity and for no reason, they had it planned! I understand one of the points of the games was to make the Johto Pokemon available but you'd think they'd allow both Plusle and Minun just for the Double Battle opportunity.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Even if you had Minun it wouldn't matter because their movepools are pretty shit and you're running 2 frail Electrics in a game where Earthquake is king.
True, though for the most part isn't it just the bosses who use Earthquake? Then again if Chuggaaconroy's playthrough teaches us anything is that the AI doesn't seem to understand types that well...

(And yes, many times the AI's Pokemon not only had another move that could hit Misdreavus, a few times it would have been Super Effective like Bite)

True, though for the most part isn't it just the bosses who use Earthquake? Then again if Chuggaaconroy's playthrough teaches us anything is that the AI doesn't seem to understand types that well...

(And yes, many times the AI's Pokemon not only had another move that could hit Misdreavus, a few times it would have been Super Effective like Bite)
You get an Earthquake TM after the Raikou boss, which you're gonna want to equip to something on your team because it's so useful. In addition, the trainers from that point on will love to spam EQ, so...

Wait, Greninja has a higher Special Attack even though its movepool is more Physical and its SIGNATURE MOVE is Physical... what's with Water-type Starters doing that? They did the same thing with Samurott. Movepool and Signature Move is Physical based, Special Attack is higher offense stat. Do the stat and movepool not talk with each other to make sure the Pokemon is getting what it needs to be the most effective? Actually are the stat team even seeing the Pokemon's design? Do they just look at the typing and go "a Water Starter? Make is Special focused. Huh? It's suppose to be a samurai/ninja? Okay, make it offense focused BUT keep Special Attack higher. Why? It's a Water-type, that what they do? No, don't talk with the Movepool team, only you don't know type tropes". Meanwhile the movepool team is going "Oh, so it can use its shell like a sword/fights light a ninja? Well obviously it's a physical attacker. Shouldn't we check with the stat guys wat they're doing? Nah, only a dummy wouldn't look at the design and just make assumption based on, I don't know, just type". As you can see I don't have a positive look on corporate communication, mainly because those two words are an oxymoron.
The reason why Greninja isn't an effective user of Water Shuriken isn't that its attack is lower than its special attack(the difference is just of a mere 7 base points). The reason is that its attack is low in general; Hippowdon, a defensive pokemon, has an higher attack than both of Greninja's attacking stats. Because of this, it's entirely reliant on the high base power of its moves and/or supereffective hits to deal good damage. A pokemon needs at least one of these things to be a good priority abuser: high Attack, a boosting move or a power multiplying ability; Greninja has none of these. To show how weak its Water Shuriken is, it can't guarantee a 2HKO on Mega Alakazam with 4 hits. Even its Shadow Sneak fails to OHKO Zam by a long shot.

This reminds me of the last time i played Pokémon Sapphire. When i had my Skarmory on the field, any opponent with a Ground-type attack started to spam them repeteadly on Skarmory, though they obviously weren't effective. I think the AI, in that case, reads Skarmory's Steel type and uses a Ground-type move, but completely ignores its Flying type and keeps using Ground attacks...it was funny to watch May's Marshtomp repeteadly using Mud Shot against Skarmory, though.

More complaints, because why not.

• If I could smash the Eon Flute, I would.
I admit, using it for the first time was awesome. You could see the Hoenn spread out below you and there was a nice uplifting song to go with it (during the day, at least). But all of that got old faster than a Rapidash.

The whole 'wheee look at your lati transform' cutscene started to seem longer and longer. Yes, I know my Lati can mega-evolve. Is it too much to ask to just let me get to where I need to without being reminded of it?

And if I could just ignore that damn flute, I would have been fine with that. One way to skip the cutscene is to just let the damn thing rot in my bag, right?

Not if you want those Mirage Spots 'mons sister. (And who doesn't want to SR for a legitimate Shiny Reshiram after all these years?)

I go to these spots/islands/Hoopa storage outlets so often that I'm forced to use that flute over and over again. Especially when I'm SRing for something like a Landorus. I can't even Flute once and just save at the spot. That would be be too easy. Instead I need to Flute each time I reset the game. Obviously, Nintendo doesn't want me to have VGC viable legends.

And then I had the bright idea of adding it to my registered items.

Now, my finger sometimes slips and I end up using the the flute instead of my Mach Bike. Or Rod. Or whatever I wanted to actually use.

So I soar into the sky, watch the damn sequence and.... have to fly all the way back to where I came from.

Is it any wonder that I still use my Fly Talonflame
Yeah, when there are so many berries to water, plant and harvest, I just use Gilvy (my Gilvader Noivern). It just saves so much time in the end. And I guess when it gets time for me to catch Landorus, I'm going to be cursing up a storm, calling the development team all sorts of nasty names. Great. :/

This reminds me of the last time i played Pokémon Sapphire. When i had my Skarmory on the field, any opponent with a Ground-type attack started to spam them repeteadly on Skarmory, though they obviously weren't effective. I think the AI, in that case, reads Skarmory's Steel type and uses a Ground-type move, but completely ignores its Flying type and keeps using Ground attacks...it was funny to watch May's Marshtomp repeteadly using Mud Shot against Skarmory, though.
Yeah, the AI hasn't improved much since then. I've lost track of all the Scalds, Surfs, and Waterfalls that have tried to touch my Primal Groudon.

Yeah, the AI hasn't improved much since then. I've lost track of all the Scalds, Surfs, and Waterfalls that have tried to touch my Primal Groudon.
Yeah, that exact problem kept happening in OR as well, since i decided to use a Skarmory again. Guess what? Still found AI spamming Ground type attacks, for example Primal Groudon using Earthquake and Precipice Blades repeteadly when it had Lava Plume. Sigh.

Yeah, that exact problem kept happening in OR as well, since i decided to use a Skarmory again. Guess what? Still found AI spamming Ground type attacks, for example Primal Groudon using Earthquake and Precipice Blades repeteadly when it had Lava Plume. Sigh.
Well, wild Pokémon don't have any intelligence at all. They're literally programmed to go for random moves no matter what; it's only with trainers that they select specific moves depending on what they're facing.
Unless this was secret base. In which case hoo boy.

Sizes of Pokémon honestly annoy me a lot. They're just so unrealistic and make them feel often quite ridiculous. I mean, what's the appeal of owning a fire breathing dragon if I'm taller than it?

How about Wailord, less dense than air? Or Roselia, standing all of less than an inch tall? (This does make her Colosseum/XD model absolutely hilarious.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)