(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
At least if you have a copy of XD you can still get Heal Bell Dragonite and Refresh Salamence. You can't get a fresh Wish blob.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mr. Mime--excuse, me, Mrs. Mime--would you stop moving for five seconds so I can rub your forehead? My Arceus, that bugs me.
But how will you know its trapped in an invisible box that you're able to phase through? Actually that would have been funny if you tried petting your Mr. Mime and you can't because it made a barrier between you. And when you give it a Pokeblock it acts like it opens a door to eat it (which then gives you the opportunity to pet it before it creates another barrier).

It'd be even better if it'd stop moving period given how creepy that thing's idle animation is in battle. I think GF was going out of their way to make Mime unnerving in Gen VI. ;_;

None of those moves are TMs tho.
They can be Egg Moves also.

Heal Bell is a tutor move.
That Dragonite can't use except for that one event, which is stupid. The hardest hit though are the legendary Pokemon. Want a VGC-legal Entei that can use Extreme Speed? Too bad. Same for Heatran with Eruption, and even then it's stuck with a Quiet nature.

Actually... Victini is probably the worst off. V-Create is its signature move, and yet the guy who will teach Relic Song and Secret Sword doesn't have the option to teach this move to Victini. (I'm sure he'll probably get Dragon Ascent for Rayquaza after OR/AS) Not to mention it had events where it had the Tao Trio's signature attacks - Fusion Flare/Bolt, Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, and Glaciate. And unlike Darkrai and Arceus having access to Dialga's Roar of Time that one time, nearly all of these moves are quite useful. (Glaciate hitting slightly harder than HP Ice and lowering the opponent's Speed a stage and with Bolt Strike gives nice coverage)

On the topic of Mr. Mime, I always thought it slightly amusing as it's almost like it's up against the other side of the screen and it knows it. Still, they can't all be as heartwarming as Mega Kangaskhan's helping her joey stay on her feet when she topples back...

Anyone else wish Prism Tower was something...I dunno, alongside the Gym? I mean, it's the tallest building in the city and possibly all of Kalos, a symbol of hope and majesty, and then you just find out "Oh, it's the Gym." Come on, there had to be something else.
And what would it be that wouldn't also just be visited maybe once because the game forces you to?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't like how there's over 700 Pokemon, there should be a new game without any Pokemon to shake things up and change the formula. There have already been like 10 games in a row with Pokemon in them, GAME FREAK should stop chaining themselves to a rigid formula and try something new

I don't like how there's over 700 Pokemon, there should be a new game without any Pokemon to shake things up and change the formula. There have already been like 10 games in a row with Pokemon in them, GAME FREAK should stop chaining themselves to a rigid formula and try something new
That's... kind of essentially what they tried to do with Gen 6 tho. They introduced a very small amount of Pokémon and instead focused on new mechanics and improving upon what was already there (with fairy and megas). Not introducing any Pokémon in a generation would... kind of cause a fan outcry tbh; I mean the fanbase is already pissed enough that Gen 6 introduced so little. The problem is really that they introduced far too many 'mon in previous gens and they're way too afraid of cutting anything even though I doubt anyone would really care about Pansear dying

That's... kind of essentially what they tried to do with Gen 6 tho. They introduced a very small amount of Pokémon and instead focused on new mechanics and improving upon what was already there (with fairy and megas). Not introducing any Pokémon in a generation would... kind of cause a fan outcry tbh; I mean the fanbase is already pissed enough that Gen 6 introduced so little. The problem is really that they introduced far too many 'mon in previous gens and they're way too afraid of cutting anything even though I doubt anyone would really care about Pansear dying
Gen V, they introduce so many mons you can have a regional dex full of them and nothing else (which they did), the fans complain. Gen VI, they introduce only a handful of newbies and have practically half the National Dex accessible for the main story, the fans complain. Unpleasable fanbase, that's what we are.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, i meant without Pokemon entirely.

Gen V, they introduce so many mons you can have a regional dex full of them and nothing else (which they did), the fans complain. Gen VI, they introduce only a handful of newbies and have practically half the National Dex accessible for the main story, the fans complain. Unpleasable fanbase, that's what we are.
Gen 6 > Gen 5. I'd be happy with 70-120 new Mons for each new gen from here. Gen 5 felt like a clone of Gen 1 with new Pokemon. And too many legendaries

No, i meant without Pokemon entirely.
Believe it or not, there might be some actual merit to this. Have something--a small spinoff, an anime episode--from the perspective of an ordinary citizen. That person's not concerned with getting badges or stopping Team Whatever. They just want to focus on their family and friends and maybe the Furfrou or Espurr or Fletchling they keep as a housepet. So while teenagers are saving the world and cruising through the Elite Four, what is everybody else doing?

It'd be hard to be the Pokemon world without Pokemon, but there's more to it than just the battling trainers.

Believe it or not, there might be some actual merit to this. Have something--a small spinoff, an anime episode--from the perspective of an ordinary citizen. That person's not concerned with getting badges or stopping Team Whatever. They just want to focus on their family and friends and maybe the Furfrou or Espurr or Fletchling they keep as a housepet. So while teenagers are saving the world and cruising through the Elite Four, what is everybody else doing?

It'd be hard to be the Pokemon world without Pokemon, but there's more to it than just the battling trainers.
The point is that he said without Pokemon at all. While I'm all for a spinoff or anime episode about the normal civilians, a game without Pokemon at all, regardless of if it is the same world, is NOT a good thing for the franchise.

The point is that he said without Pokemon at all. While I'm all for a spinoff or anime episode about the normal civilians, a game without Pokemon at all, regardless of if it is the same world, is NOT a good thing for the franchise.
I think he meant that Game Freak should do a non-Pokémon game instead of just churning out Pokémon games. Which they have:
HarmoKnight (2012 Nintendo 3DS)
Solitita (2013 Nintendo 3DS, 2014 iOS/Android)
Tembo the Badass Elephant (2015 PS4/Xbox One/PC)

We just don't pay attention since none of them hit quite as huge as a Pokémon release.
Also, I'm looking at Tembo the Badass Elephant and it sounds AMAZING.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
No More Pokemon:
... So exactly what would a game without Pokemon be like? The Sims? In that case, play the Sims. What makes the Pokemon series what it is is the use of the titled creatures. Like no matter what there would be Pokemon in the game otherwise you might as well just be making another game. If you want the Pokemon battling mechanics but not Pokemon but rather the playable character using the moves there are plenty of RPGs out there you might to check out. The closest Pokemon game that has gotten to "No Pokemon" would be the Pokemon Ranger series which mainly uses Pokemon as opponents, tools to solve field puzzles, and act as power-ups for your Capture Styler.

Also Vader_the_White, you forgetting a few games: Pulseman, Smart Ball, Mendel Palace, Click Medic, and Drill Dozer. They did a few other licensed games before Pokemon but once Pokemon took off they pretty much went with that occasionally doing another type of game like Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight (but if I recall that was more Pokemon USA's doing and they had Pokemon-themed stages in it), Soltita, and Tembo (which, BTW, is BADASS; the title does not lie). Also some of their game do get a reference in Pokemon:

Pulseman: Ledian & Rotom's design seem slightly based on Pulseman, Remoraid looks similar to a pistol fish enemy in the game, Team Galactic is slightly based on the game's villain the Galaxy Gang, and Pikachu's Signature move is Pulseman's signature move: The Volteccer (Volt Tackle).
Drill Dozer: Drilbur and Excadrill seems to have taken some design cues from the game (as well as from some Earthbound enemies).
HarmoKnight: In addition with getting a plug in I think XY, Bunnelby looks similar to the rabbit character in the game.

Wondering if next gen we'll be getting a Soltita and Tembo reference. :P

National Problem:
They can't perform a culling or maybe try fusing Pokemon together because choose any Pokemon and there are fans of that Pokemon. They made all these Pokemon and they're stuck with them. But that's not technically a bad thing, because that does mean they have something to work off from. I suggest slowing down on the creation of new Pokemon for the sake of it being a new Pokemon and instead create Pokemon they feel they want to include. Any missing gaps they have by doing this the could assign a previous gen Pokemon to fill. They should also go back and REALLY give some of their old Pokemon a good look over to see if they could really use something even if its just access to certain moves.

I think one of the main problems with the series is the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality. You're encouraged to catch them all and while doable with the first two generations its kind of ridiculous nowadays with 700 Pokemon. Yes the Global Link made things MUCH easier but still that's a lot of time and effort for something somewhat empty since you'll probably never fully use all these Pokemon you get. I personally think they should only have the Regional Dex have the mechanic where it counts what Pokemon you have seen/caught while the National Dex is just a dictionary which shows and tell you all about the other Pokemon outside of the region, no need to seen/catch them. It'll help focus the game and ease players from thinking they need to catch them all by just needing to catch all the Pokemon in the region. Of course doing this would mean an increase to the Regional Dex size like in XY or ORAS post environment change but is that such a bad thing; including more options?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyone else wish Prism Tower was something...I dunno, alongside the Gym? I mean, it's the tallest building in the city and possibly all of Kalos, a symbol of hope and majesty, and then you just find out "Oh, it's the Gym." Come on, there had to be something else.
Yeah, I spent some time trying to find the observation deck. Instead, we got a Gym with... multiple floors? How is that in any way utilizing its amazing location? Heck, it doesn't even have windows! That Gym could as well have been in a building next to the tower, or, heck, underground. They wasted a perfectly good landmark on a Gym that doesn't even appear to acknowledge its location.

In a similar vein, the Tower of Mastery is also kind of pointless. It has an amazing location and a great design, but is only ever utilized once for a very short and minor side-branch of the plot.

brightobject

there like moonlight
brightobject Stop being a huge troll jesus... This is the second time you've said something stupid.

Don't do it again. Also: Don't reply to nonsensical posts like that please.
I'm actually not trolling, although i can see how you'd believe I was ;) I was talking more about spinoffs and the like rather than main series games, as another user suggested. A fighting game with characters like Maylene and Crasher Wake would be pretty awesome imo, and an excellent gimmick yo draw pokemon fans in... a Pokemon game without Pokemon!? I for one would be intrigued!

I'm actually not trolling, although i can see how you'd believe I was ;) I was talking more about spinoffs and the like rather than main series games, as another user suggested. A fighting game with characters like Maylene and Crasher Wake would be pretty awesome imo, and an excellent gimmick yo draw pokemon fans in... a Pokemon game without Pokemon!? I for one would be intrigued!
Okay, I'll admit. A fighting game with all of the humans shown to be martial artists or wrestlers from Pokemon duking it out with their fists WOULD be pretty cool.

Okay, I'll admit. A fighting game with all of the humans shown to be martial artists or wrestlers from Pokemon duking it out with their fists WOULD be pretty cool.
And to drive a weird point home: final boss - Machamp. Since I don't know about you, but a fully evolved fighting type seems like a good choice for one of those super-hard-to-defeat Fighting Game Boss.

Also, I have a weird idea for a Sim City styled Region Development game, but this is neither the time nor place for it.

---

To stick to the main topic, one thing that bothers me is more of a whole DS/3DS problem than just a Pokemon problem. Daylight savings time is coming up. If you want to make your clocks accurate you have to deal with not being able to do daily events for at least a day or two.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
To stick to the main topic, one thing that bothers me is more of a whole DS/3DS problem than just a Pokemon problem. Daylight savings time is coming up. If you want to make your clocks accurate you have to deal with not being able to do daily events for at least a day or two.
I haven't changed my clocks on my DS' ever. I don't see the need to do it. Who actually uses the clocks on them?

And to drive a weird point home: final boss - Machamp. Since I don't know about you, but a fully evolved fighting type seems like a good choice for one of those super-hard-to-defeat Fighting Game Boss.

Also, I have a weird idea for a Sim City styled Region Development game, but this is neither the time nor place for it.

---

I dont change mine either. In Australia we are about to go forward an hour which helped me the other night with my Secret Bases resetting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)