(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I haven't changed my clocks on my DS' ever. I don't see the need to do it. Who actually uses the clocks on them?
I do, but I've been force to use it as a watch when I forget/don't have a watch. And I like to know when I can do a daily even by looking at an actual clock and it being roughly accurate to that on my DS.

I don't bother adjusting the clock on my 3DS. I just mentally account for it being an hour ahead when DST is over. It is annoying that you're penalized for adjusting the clock, which is the main reason I just don't bother to do it.

Honestly, it shouldn't punish you if you only change it less than once a month. Very few need to change it more often than that and it acknowledges that clocks need to be adjusted at times.

Reactions: JES
Honestly, it shouldn't punish you if you only change it more than once a month. Very few need to change it more often than that and it acknowledges that clocks need to be adjusted at times.
Or, like many other devices, it can have a damn DST on/off button that you can switch that won't affect your clock.

Speaking of all that nonsense. I just got a New 3DS (the AC standard size bundle that just came out on Friday. I hate the size of the XLs). Now I got to wait again because of the slightly different clocks between the two.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think one thing that always caught me off guard when I first got into pokemon: Burns halve attack and para quarters speed? I'd never heard anything of the sort from any NPC's in game... it probably would have been helpful info. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention?

I think one thing that always caught me off guard when I first got into pokemon: Burns halve attack and para quarters speed? I'd never heard anything of the sort from any NPC's in game... it probably would have been helpful info. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention?
Haven't the effects of all the status changes (burned, paralysis, asleep, poisoned, frozen) been covered in every game's Pokemon Trainer's School? Still, the burned status needs something to distinguish it from poisoned, especially since 'badly poisoned' has been a thing since the very beginning with Toxic, and the Attack drop is it. The Speed drop from paralysis makes sense: the Pokemon's body is numb and can barely move, occasionally unable to move at all.

I feel like they need to distinguish regular poison from Toxic poison, since there's not really any point to the former when literally every Pokemon that can learn TMs can use Toxic. Maybe regular poison could do to special attack what burn does to attack?

National Problem:
They can't perform a culling or maybe try fusing Pokemon together because choose any Pokemon and there are fans of that Pokemon. They made all these Pokemon and they're stuck with them. But that's not technically a bad thing, because that does mean they have something to work off from. I suggest slowing down on the creation of new Pokemon for the sake of it being a new Pokemon and instead create Pokemon they feel they want to include. Any missing gaps they have by doing this the could assign a previous gen Pokemon to fill. They should also go back and REALLY give some of their old Pokemon a good look over to see if they could really use something even if its just access to certain moves.

I think one of the main problems with the series is the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality. You're encouraged to catch them all and while doable with the first two generations its kind of ridiculous nowadays with 700 Pokemon. Yes the Global Link made things MUCH easier but still that's a lot of time and effort for something somewhat empty since you'll probably never fully use all these Pokemon you get. I personally think they should only have the Regional Dex have the mechanic where it counts what Pokemon you have seen/caught while the National Dex is just a dictionary which shows and tell you all about the other Pokemon outside of the region, no need to seen/catch them. It'll help focus the game and ease players from thinking they need to catch them all by just needing to catch all the Pokemon in the region. Of course doing this would mean an increase to the Regional Dex size like in XY or ORAS post environment change but is that such a bad thing; including more options?
I wish they'd at least re-order the National Dex so all the evolution lines are together, instead of spread across half the thing (there's multiple evolution lines where none of the members are anywhere near each other). Also fold the Nidos into a single line while they're at it since they're an artifact of Gen 1.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I wish they'd at least re-order the National Dex so all the evolution lines are together, instead of spread across half the thing (there's multiple evolution lines where none of the members are anywhere near each other). Also fold the Nidos into a single line while they're at it since they're an artifact of Gen 1.
I actually re-ordered a lot of the national dex stuff for a background I was working on. Upto Gen 4 existed at the time I made mine, but the only real addition since is Sylveon as both BW and XY have added mostly new Pokemon with no backtracking. I moved the legendaries to the end of the dex, but kept the similar "National" order with Starters delimiting each "section" of the dex. If I went through this exercise again I would likely bring all the bugs/birds/rodents all together and pace the rest differently.

On topic: Having started another new game, it reminds me how much I hate the friggen rollerskates in XY. Basically uncontrollable and I end up smashing into walls/doorframes/pillars etc. The running shoes or bike is much much better!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of Pokédexes, it kinda annoys me that there are no equivalent of a Dex for Megas. You can view Formes and such in the Dex, but as far as I can recall, not Megas. Would be nice to have a section for them too, so you could see their models or keep track of your Mega Stone collection without having to whip them out in battle.

Speaking of Pokédexes, it kinda annoys me that there are no equivalent of a Dex for Megas. You can view Formes and such in the Dex, but as far as I can recall, not Megas. Would be nice to have a section for them too, so you could see their models or keep track of your Mega Stone collection without having to whip them out in battle.
You can see them as alternate forms for the respective Pokemon. I have Beedrill in the dex showing as its Mega form since I started using it in Omega Ruby, and Charizard and Mewtwo as their available Mega forms in X. (I don't have any of the Y exclusive stones in that game, and hardly matters since all of the stones are obtainable in OR/AS)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This just came up in my mind today and it bothers me

the "Dia" in Diancie and Dialga are pronounced differently in English, despite being written in the same way in Japanese. Diancie and Dialga are also Diancie and Dialga in Japanese.

Dee-al-ga
Die-an-see

=/

The rule of thumb for pronunciation: as long as the other person knows which Pokemon you're talking about, you're fine.

It annoys me that people can be so uptight about official pronunciations. (This is personal experience on my end; I've noticed the Net, strangely, can be a lot better about this.) Why do you care if I pronounce Diancie "dee-ahn-cie" or Rayquaza as "ray-quah-za"? You know I'm talking about the princess who doesn't get Power Gem and the snake-dragon who can become the most broken thing ever, right? So why does it even matter?

The rule of thumb for pronunciation: as long as the other person knows which Pokemon you're talking about, you're fine.

It annoys me that people can be so uptight about official pronunciations. (This is personal experience on my end; I've noticed the Net, strangely, can be a lot better about this.) Why do you care if I pronounce Diancie "dee-ahn-cie" or Rayquaza as "ray-quah-za"? You know I'm talking about the princess who doesn't get Power Gem and the snake-dragon who can become the most broken thing ever, right? So why does it even matter?
I pronounce Xerneas as "ex-urn-e-as" and I don't really care. I mean, as you said, if people know what Pokemon you're talking about, it doesn't matter.

EDIT: I know how X is pronounced in English, but I think for the title Pokemon of Pokemon X, it should be pronounced "ex" just to make it different then Zygarde and Yveltal.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I pronounce Xerneas as "ex-urn-e-as" and I don't really care. I mean, as you said, if people know what Pokemon you're talking about, it doesn't matter.
I'm going to sound like a complete ass, but this is legitimately wrong in normal English rules and will get you funny looks.

When "x" is the first letter of a word it is usually pronounced like a "z"; for some loanwords, it's different, and even then it's similar to an "s", not "ex". See xenophobia and xylophone for examples.

Last edited:
This just came up in my mind today and it bothers me

the "Dia" in Diancie and Dialga are pronounced differently in English, despite being written in the same way in Japanese. Diancie and Dialga are also Diancie and Dialga in Japanese.

Dee-al-ga
Die-an-see

=/
I personally have always said Die-al-ga, so I pronounce it similarly to Diancie.
Also, don't forget how there are so many ways to pronounce similar combinations of letters in English due to accents, word origins, and accepted errors. Hell, the word scissor is spelled wrong compared to it's actual word origin due to some people thinking it came from a unrelated Latin word.
English is strange.

I'm going to sound like a complete ass, but this is legitimately wrong in normal English rules and will get you funny looks.

When "x" is the first letter of a word it is usually pronounced like a "z"; for some loanwords, it's different, and even then it's similar to an "s", not "ex". See xenophobia and xylophone for examples.
Yeah I know that it is pronounced X, but I prefer to say it "ex" when it comes to Xerneas, because it's the title legendary for Pokemon X.

Hey, we do have a pronounciation thread for this kind of stuff...
Not surprised; there's a thread for pretty much everything on OI (which is awesome). The trouble, I've found, is digging it up.

Anyway, I've been looking at Bulbapedia, and both route pages and the overall walkthrough seem to suggest one disturbing trend for XY (not sure about ORAS): incomplete movesets. Tierno's Corphish, for example, is said to have only Swords Dance and Vice Grip when you fight him on Route 5 (source: Route 5 page, walkthrough, Tierno page), although a standard level 12 Corphish would have Bubble and Harden as well. (And somebody tell me how he somehow has enough money to afford the Swords Dance TM.) When you rematch on Route 19, his level 52 Crawdaunt has only SD/Crabhammer/Night Slash, despite having access to Crunch (well, thematically Night Slash makes sense) and Taunt.

Meanwhile, his Roserade has only Petal Dance. Roserade has seven other moves just as listed starting/Heart Scale moves (admittedly none of them useful aside from a sun-boosted Weather Ball), and they could've just ninja'd moves from Roselia onto its moveset.

The EXP Share and Amie bonuses made the game easy enough. Having plot-important fights with mons with fewer than four moves? That's just insulting.

Not surprised; there's a thread for pretty much everything on OI (which is awesome). The trouble, I've found, is digging it up.

Anyway, I've been looking at Bulbapedia, and both route pages and the overall walkthrough seem to suggest one disturbing trend for XY (not sure about ORAS): incomplete movesets. Tierno's Corphish, for example, is said to have only Swords Dance and Vice Grip when you fight him on Route 5 (source: Route 5 page, walkthrough, Tierno page), although a standard level 12 Corphish would have Bubble and Harden as well. (And somebody tell me how he somehow has enough money to afford the Swords Dance TM.) When you rematch on Route 19, his level 52 Crawdaunt has only SD/Crabhammer/Night Slash, despite having access to Crunch (well, thematically Night Slash makes sense) and Taunt.

Meanwhile, his Roserade has only Petal Dance. Roserade has seven other moves just as listed starting/Heart Scale moves (admittedly none of them useful aside from a sun-boosted Weather Ball), and they could've just ninja'd moves from Roselia onto its moveset.

The EXP Share and Amie bonuses made the game easy enough. Having plot-important fights with mons with fewer than four moves? That's just insulting.
Still better than the boss fights in RBY. Barrage Eggy, Ember Arcanine, Rage Zard, etc.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

I had some help from some #OI Users, messing around with Imposter Ditto and also discovered not only Tierno, but your rival suffers from this too. In the "final" Rival match in Kiloude, only 3 of their Pokemon have complete movesets. The others only have 3 moves. Infact, looking into it a little more, you Rival's starter appears to only have two moves for the majority of the game. I can sort of understand the reasoning (reducing the chance of the AI picking a "bad" move); but the AI should really be better than that throughout the game (especially for your rival).

Random Passerby The really strange thing about the gen 1 sets is they pretty much ALL use the default moves for those levels. Even if this means that Blue's Exeggcute (before the badge checkpoints) is actually more threatening than his Exeggutor in the Championship match.

I had some help from some #OI Users, messing around with Imposter Ditto and also discovered not only Tierno, but your rival suffers from this too. In the "final" Rival match in Kiloude, only 3 of their Pokemon have complete movesets. The others only have 3 moves. Infact, looking into it a little more, you Rival's starter appears to only have two moves for the majority of the game. I can sort of understand the reasoning (reducing the chance of the AI picking a "bad" move); but the AI should really be better than that throughout the game (especially for your rival).
Except I thought the AI was better than that, especially for plot-important NPCs who are supposed to have a more sophisticated AI compared to ordinary trainers. GF must not have very much confidence in their AI this gen, which is, to me at least, strange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)