(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I personally hate how every single Ground-type in the Battle Maison uses Bulldoze. That speed drop starts to get really, REALLY annoying and fast (pun unintended).
It's as if the AI are trying to win. :P

Also Earthquake is not even on my list of moves that need a nerf. Stealth Rock on the other hand...

And maybe Double players are bad ? In some rare occasions, 2 bulldozes (thanks to speed loss) could be more interesting than 1 earthquake or can help allies
Bulldoze hits your allies as well, potentially dropping their speed. Unless they have a Serperior (Ground resist AND Contrary), this doesn't help your other Pokémon any more than Earthquake.
I can concede it being better if the Pokémon has Technician* (BP 90 and Speed drop vs BP 100), but they never do.

*That would be Smeargle and Hitmontop, for those who are interested.

Having to save and answer if I wish to wonder trade again. Of course I do.

Mirage Spots with legendaries dependent on time of day.

Shiny-locking.

Roaming Pokemon.

Not being able to transfer items between generations. No, I don't want to buy battle revolution just to grind for a soul dew.

No X/Y special events.

No patch for X/Y to be fully compatible with ORAS.

Mythical Pokemon still nigh-impossible to find.

Plenty of pokemon with good Dream World abilities that are really hard to get.

Eon Duo soaring animation is still too long.

Random nerfs to many powerful moves like Fire Blast and Draco Meteor.

Hail continues to be worthless.

GTS still not good for worthwhile trades.

You can't get all the gems.

No connectivity with other non-main series Pokemon games.

Last edited:
Okay but like, Leafeon really really annoys me in Platinum
I really wanted to use one, but... oh my gooooooood Game Freak just seemed intent on making it useless. It's a physical attacking grass-type which on it's own is pretty fine. The only reliable, decently powerful physical grass-type move it learns is Leaf Blade at Level 71. Until then your only option is Razor Leaf, learned at Level 15 - and hell, to get that you have to use a Heart Scale because you get the gift Eevee at Level 20! I guess it has some physical options to take advantage of that 130 Attack Stat like Strength and X-Scissor, but... jesus you could have given us a STAB. It can't even take advantage of a Move Tutor for this because Seed Bomb is in the survival area.
Actually I think there's a lot of examples of this - where a Pokémon would be good, decent or at the very least usable in-game if it had access to certain moves but for some ungodly reason gets them so late or by other absurd means. And then there's stuff like Golbat not being able to evolve in Firered and Leafgreen; Sneasel being catchable in XY but a Razor Claw not being available until the Battle Maison... just what the fuck?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
My recent post in Unpopular Opinions reminded me of something that annoys me every time I think about it.

Event Pokemon tend to have 3 guaranteed perfect IVs if they're legendary or mythical, but the majority of events concerning "normal" Pokemon do not get the guaranteed IVs. It really screws over the Event Pokemon that get special moves such as the Sludge Bomb Zoroark or Sludge Wave Gengar, events you technically can't breed (which seems to be the basis for the guaranteed IVs). I mean, at least give us two guaranteed IVs or something; leaving all six stats up to the RNG with no synch to control the Nature pretty much ruins any hope of getting events like this with competitive IVs.

I feel like those events aren't supposed to be competitive...

...but then why brag about "Battle Ready" movesets? Don't half-ass it. Either give us a mon for competitive use or don't, but don't try to give us a competitive moveset and then IVs of 5/16/22/8/14/19 or something.
Because those events are geared towards kids; to whom battle-ready basically means "level 100, full moveset, item".

Because those events are geared towards kids; to whom battle-ready basically means "level 100, full moveset, item".
Plus, as was the case of the Dragonite at least (maybe not the Gengar but I don't remember if it was specifically said to be battle ready), it made REALLY good breeding fodder. Good nature and good attacks (the main three being egg moves, one of which you really can't get with HGSS). So, I don't think it was particularly bad to have that event.

Another one:
It annoys me to no end that Synchronizers don't work on events. They do work on gift Pokemon ever since the arrival of the 6th Generation, so why not go that tiny bit further to make sure soft resetting the Nature + IV combination for an event won't be a mission impossible?

Another one:
It annoys me to no end that Synchronizers don't work on events. They do work on gift Pokemon ever since the arrival of the 6th Generation, so why not go that tiny bit further to make sure soft resetting the Nature + IV combination for an event won't be a mission impossible?
They fixed it for ORAS, so that's nice.

They fixed it for ORAS, so that's nice.
It is? I thought I remembered some trouble trying to SR for a Diancie in ORAS, but perhaps I just didn't recall it correctly and it was XY instead.

Okay but like, Leafeon really really annoys me in Platinum
I really wanted to use one, but... oh my gooooooood Game Freak just seemed intent on making it useless. It's a physical attacking grass-type which on it's own is pretty fine. The only reliable, decently powerful physical grass-type move it learns is Leaf Blade at Level 71. ... just what the fuck?
Good thing they fixed this in XY! At least level 45 is doable. I love Leafeon as well, but since Grass is my favourite type and there are a lot of other Grass-types that I love as well, I've never gotten around to use in any of my playthroughs. Level 71 is insane, but I know something that might be even crazier. Larvesta evolving at level 59. Yes, until that level, you're stuck with a 360 BST Pokemon that is for some reason physically orientated instead of specially like its evolution. At least it gets some decent moves it can use, but unfortunately, it still ends up dying 99% of the time before it has the chance to kill anything.

It is? I thought I remembered some trouble trying to SR for a Diancie in ORAS, but perhaps I just didn't recall it correctly and it was XY instead.

Good thing they fixed this in XY! At least level 45 is doable. I love Leafeon as well, but since Grass is my favourite type and there are a lot of other Grass-types that I love as well, I've never gotten around to use in any of my playthroughs. Level 71 is insane, but I know something that might be even crazier. Larvesta evolving at level 59. Yes, until that level, you're stuck with a 360 BST Pokemon that is for some reason physically orientated instead of specially like its evolution. At least it gets some decent moves it can use, but unfortunately, it still ends up dying 99% of the time before it has the chance to kill anything.
At least in Larvesta's case it evolves into a Pokémon that's pretty much a pseudo in everything but a few stat points and you have a chance to catch the evolved form in the aftergame anyway. Leafeon... is decent at best so it's even worse when it's only usable move is that late.
Though what you said applies to so... so many Unova Pokémon. The level a lot like Rufflet and Pawniard evolve is completely stupid and unnecessarily high; I was wanting to use Bisharp before I got White because it looked cool but then I saw the ridiculous requirement of Level 52 (or was it 54?) and I immediately searched for something else.

At least in Larvesta's case it evolves into a Pokémon that's pretty much a pseudo in everything but a few stat points and you have a chance to catch the evolved form in the aftergame anyway. Leafeon... is decent at best so it's even worse when it's only usable move is that late.
Though what you said applies to so... so many Unova Pokémon. The level a lot like Rufflet and Pawniard evolve is completely stupid and unnecessarily high; I was wanting to use Bisharp before I got White because it looked cool but then I saw the ridiculous requirement of Level 52 (or was it 54?) and I immediately searched for something else.
Pawniard evolves at 52. The only Pokemon that evolves at a later level than Larvesta is Zweilous (64). I remember reading an interview in which the creators explained that they wanted to make the Unova Pokemon evolve and learn moves at later levels in order for the player to have something to aim at, even when they are at a high level. I never played Platinum (only had Pearl), and BW2 doesn't have a moss rock available until the post-game. XY was my first chance to play with Leafeon, and the problem has been solved. Gaining exp points is easier than ever now, and level 45 is not that high really, Razor Leaf is usable until that time. Compared to gym leaders, Leafeon learns Leaf Blade when your Pokemon are around the same level as Olympia's (Anistar City). That's the 7th Gym, and I think that is very reasonable. Fortunately these levels Pokemon learn moves are flexible, so they were able to fix Platinum and BW's mistake with Leafeon in BW2 and XY/ORAS. But all of those Pokemon that evolve way too late to be usable when caught in their first stage, there is no redeem in sight. Not just Larvesta, that's just the example I pointed out because out of all first stage Pokemon it evolves the latest. But like you said, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mienfoo, Noibat, Skrelp, ... they're sort of doomed in that regard. Shauntal's Pokemon, for example, are around level 48. This means that the Pokemon I just noted will not have evolved when battling the Elite Four at their own level (though Noibat and Skrelp did not exist back then).

Pawniard evolves at 52. The only Pokemon that evolves at a later level than Larvesta is Zweilous (64). I remember reading an interview in which the creators explained that they wanted to make the Unova Pokemon evolve and learn moves at later levels in order for the player to have something to aim at, even when they are at a high level. I never played Platinum (only had Pearl), and BW2 doesn't have a moss rock available until the post-game. XY was my first chance to play with Leafeon, and the problem has been solved. Gaining exp points is easier than ever now, and level 45 is not that high really, Razor Leaf is usable until that time. Compared to gym leaders, Leafeon learns Leaf Blade when your Pokemon are around the same level as Olympia's (Anistar City). That's the 7th Gym, and I think that is very reasonable. Fortunately these levels Pokemon learn moves are flexible, so they were able to fix Platinum and BW's mistake with Leafeon in BW2 and XY/ORAS. But all of those Pokemon that evolve way too late to be usable when caught in their first stage, there is no redeem in sight. Not just Larvesta, that's just the prime example I pointed out. But like you said, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mienfoo, Noibat, Skrelp, ... they're sort of doomed in that regard. Shauntal's Pokemon, for example, are around level 48. This means that the Pokemon I just noted will not have evolved when battling the Elite Four at their own level (though Noibat and Skrelp did not exist back then).
To be fair, dragons were always like that even from the beginning. I mean we had Dratini who evolved at level 30 at a time when most other Pokemon began to reach their final forms, and then it had to go up to level 55 so it can evolve one more time. At least these more recent generations toss experience willy-nilly at you to make life easier. I never had a particularly difficult time evolving Noibat compared to how bad it was to evolve Dratini/Larvitar/Bagon to their final forms in the first three generations.

To be fair, dragons were always like that even from the beginning. I mean we had Dratini who evolved at level 30 at a time when most other Pokemon began to reach their final forms, and then it had to go up to level 55 so it can evolve one more time. At least these more recent generations toss experience willy-nilly at you to make life easier. I never had a particularly difficult time evolving Noibat compared to how bad it was to evolve Dratini/Larvitar/Bagon to their final forms in the first three generations.
Which is why their tier in an in-game run is normally very low like D or something. Comes absurdly late, underlevelled and hard to level up, plus not being that good in their original games. (Let's face it, Dragonite is useless in RBY unless force-fed TMs, Ttar comes at Lv20 as a Pupitar and the only trainer left is Red whose weakest mon is in the 70s , Salamence - hard to find as a Bagon and is underlevelled. Plus, only Fly as your STAB? lol )

Pawniard evolves at 52. The only Pokemon that evolves at a later level than Larvesta is Zweilous (64). I remember reading an interview in which the creators explained that they wanted to make the Unova Pokemon evolve and learn moves at later levels in order for the player to have something to aim at, even when they are at a high level. I never played Platinum (only had Pearl), and BW2 doesn't have a moss rock available until the post-game. XY was my first chance to play with Leafeon, and the problem has been solved. Gaining exp points is easier than ever now, and level 45 is not that high really, Razor Leaf is usable until that time. Compared to gym leaders, Leafeon learns Leaf Blade when your Pokemon are around the same level as Olympia's (Anistar City). That's the 7th Gym, and I think that is very reasonable. Fortunately these levels Pokemon learn moves are flexible, so they were able to fix Platinum and BW's mistake with Leafeon in BW2 and XY/ORAS. But all of those Pokemon that evolve way too late to be usable when caught in their first stage, there is no redeem in sight. Not just Larvesta, that's just the example I pointed out because out of all first stage Pokemon it evolves the latest. But like you said, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mienfoo, Noibat, Skrelp, ... they're sort of doomed in that regard. Shauntal's Pokemon, for example, are around level 48. This means that the Pokemon I just noted will not have evolved when battling the Elite Four at their own level (though Noibat and Skrelp did not exist back then).
Except the Moss Rock is in Route 20, which is past Snowbelle City, so you're not getting Eevee to evolve into Leafeon until then.
Which is why their tier in an in-game run is normally very low like D or something. Comes absurdly late, underlevelled and hard to level up, plus not being that good in their original games. (Let's face it, Dragonite is useless in RBY unless force-fed TMs, Ttar comes at Lv20 as a Pupitar and the only trainer left is Red whose weakest mon is in the 70s , Salamence - hard to find as a Bagon and is underlevelled. Plus, only Fly as your STAB? lol )
Tyrannitar is found as a Larvitar at level 20. And to be fair to Salamence, Bagon is in the same room you find Dragon Claw in, so you can teach it that. If you don't want to use the TM up, Bagon can be held back until level 48 to learn Dragon Claw on its own...

Except the Moss Rock is in Route 20, which is past Snowbelle City, so you're not getting Eevee to evolve into Leafeon until then.
Whaaaaaaat???! ×_×
Damnit, I thought it was Santalune Forest. I need to check these things better next time...
I guess that means I won't be able to choose Leafeon as my Grass-type in Z after all... :'(

Whaaaaaaat???! ×_×
Damnit, I thought it was Santalune Forest. I need to check these things better next time...
I guess that means I won't be able to choose Leafeon as my Grass-type in Z after all... :'(
Depends on how they do things. They could have you start in Santalune Forest for all you know.

I was messing around on the water routes in AS, finding items, etc.

What's this? DexNav says there's something here I haven't found!
*approaches*
Nearly there...
*swimmer scares it off*

Please.... get rid of the fact NPCs can scare off hidden Pokemon. It annoys me so much that there's something RIGHT THERE I could of caught, never even knew what it was, and a NPC in set route to swim back and forth scares it away.

I was messing around on the water routes in AS, finding items, etc.

What's this? DexNav says there's something here I haven't found!
*approaches*
Nearly there...
*swimmer scares it off*

Please.... get rid of the fact NPCs can scare off hidden Pokemon. It annoys me so much that there's something RIGHT THERE I could of caught, never even knew what it was, and a NPC in set route to swim back and forth scares it away.
Don't worry. Dexnav'll be removed by the next game forever so you'll never have to worry about it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)