(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Why don't stores sell ethers and elixirs
It's cargo cult RPG design. PP is essentially move-specific MP, and MP recovery items in RPGs are usually not sold in shops and only found rarely as loot, and that got carried over into Pokemon.

Same reason Rare Candies and most evolution items can't be purchased, I imagine. Another thing I really wish they'd fix, actually

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's cargo cult RPG design. PP is essentially move-specific MP, and MP recovery items in RPGs are usually not sold in shops and only found rarely as loot, and that got carried over into Pokemon.

Same reason Rare Candies and most evolution items can't be purchased, I imagine. Another thing I really wish they'd fix, actually
Well since BW you can now buy Rare Candies from the Battle Facilities BP shops. Evolution Stones is an odd case as you can sort of obtain the "common" ones from a few sources though the others you at this point you have to jump through a few hoops to get (mainly from Super Training). Though looking through several ways you can obtain evolution stones I can come up with a new complaint:

Inver's Rewards. So Inver in both XY & ORAS can give an Evolution Stone if you get a score between 7-9... but if you get a score of 10 or above he gives a Rare Candy. Um, yeah, Inver the Rare Candy is nice but I'd rather the Evolution Stone. If you want an Evolution Stone you actually have to purposely not be perfect in your battling. How about letting me pick which reward I want from all the rewards I qualified for instead of a specific reward. And maybe, as a bonus for passing that reward's tier, you can let me choose which Berry/Evoution Stone I want instead of giving me a random one.

It annoys me how you can't see the daily abilities of a Secret Base Pal before making them your friend. I only have one in my base who is an actual friend, and everyone else I just want to have good daily abilities. I don't like flying back and forth to find more people with the Search for Stones function.

Actually the problem with Inver's rewards is that it's INCREDIBLY easy to only score a 4-5 at best. Since the levels of his Pokemon don't change, unless you are prepared for it with a team made to score a lot of super effective hits against, it's easy to sweep his team. I didn't even know it was possible to receive things other than berries from him until recently.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually the problem with Inver's rewards is that it's INCREDIBLY easy to only score a 4-5 at best. Since the levels of his Pokemon don't change, unless you are prepared for it with a team made to score a lot of super effective hits against, it's easy to sweep his team. I didn't even know it was possible to receive things other than berries from him until recently.
Wait, your scored is solely determined on how many Critical Hits you do? What sense does that make? I should get a batch of points for knocking out his Pokemon with a super effective move on that Pokemon's first turn instead of just one.

See what the problem is? You're hitting things for super effective damage, but since you are, they go down faster so it's easier to NOT get anything good because you take him down quicker.

I really should be based on the ratio of Super Effective Moves to all others.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
See what the problem is? You're hitting things for super effective damage, but since you are, they go down faster so it's easier to NOT get anything good because you take him down quicker.

I really should be based on the ratio of Super Effective Moves to all others.
Ratio of SEM moves used + the less times you attacked the more points you get.

It's so difficult to get a Thunderstone in OR/AS before the seventh gym badge. Inver requires 7-9 SE hits and a lot of luck, I can't seem to get any from Guitarist Dalton despite several SRs (does he only give the Thunderstone after you've entered the Hall of Fame?), Super Training will take ages, and Yellow Shards require Dive. I just want to use a Raichu...

There is no reason that some evolutionary items aren't available before the Elite Four (what if I want to raise a Gliscor?) and no reason many items are available for purchase at the Battle Maison (or equivalent), including Evolution items (all of them should be purchasable) and Leftovers (I would gladly trade the free one in the playthrough to purchase infinite numbers of them in the post game).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No gym leader rematches+no battle frontier (yes, we got the resort, but emerald Battle frontier was just the best)
On the no Gym Leader rematches, the most annoying thing about that is the Gym Leaders are marked on your Battle Nav which tells you when a trainer is ready to re-battle! Yet their mark never lights up so it's just a tease.

Hey, would programming Gym Leader rematches be possible through a patch? I mean they won't need to make anything knew, just give them some new dialogue and a better team.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
On the no Gym Leader rematches, the most annoying thing about that is the Gym Leaders are marked on your Battle Nav which tells you when a trainer is ready to re-battle! Yet their mark never lights up so it's just a tease.
It was actually like that in the original Ruby and Sapphire. Still annoying.
Hey, would programming Gym Leader rematches be possible through a patch? I mean they won't need to make anything knew, just give them some new dialogue and a better team.
I would assume it would be extremely easy to implement because it's not a huge change.

It was actually like that in the original Ruby and Sapphire. Still annoying.

I would assume it would be extremely easy to implement because it's not a huge change.
True, but mot of their work now will be on the upcomming game for this year. They won't updte ORAS now. Its a shame for ORAS, as I felt it was rushed, and not given the proper care/attention needed. Probs rushed due to the 20th anniversary game.

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes, but why would they do that? Extending the longevity of a product they've already sold to you? It'd be like publishing an addendum to yesterday's newspaper. Game Freak considers ORAS to be a shipped and sold product, which the players should ideally grow tired of when the next game is announced. They need the next game to look as new, fresh and promising as possible in comparison to previous games, so players will but those aside and buy the new one instead. If the new one has Gym Leader rematches and the old one doesn't, that's a selling point for the new game. If they add rematches to the old one, they take away that selling point.

It's the same reason why there never was a patch to add the ORAS megas to XY. When ORAS came out, XY were yesterday's newspaper. ORAS had all the new Megas, XY had not, ergo players were incited to drop XY and buy ORAS to check out the new content.

Adding DLC to Pokémon like that would require a fundamental change to the business model. It might be possible in the future, but I don't see that happening this generation.

Yes, but why would they do that? Extending the longevity of a product they've already sold to you? It'd be like publishing an addendum to yesterday's newspaper. Game Freak considers ORAS to be a shipped and sold product, which the players should ideally grow tired of when the next game is announced. They need the next game to look as new, fresh and promising as possible in comparison to previous games, so players will but those aside and buy the new one instead. If the new one has Gym Leader rematches and the old one doesn't, that's a selling point for the new game. If they add rematches to the old one, they take away that selling point.

It's the same reason why there never was a patch to add the ORAS megas to XY. When ORAS came out, XY were yesterday's newspaper. ORAS had all the new Megas, XY had not, ergo players were incited to drop XY and buy ORAS to check out the new content.

Adding DLC to Pokémon like that would require a fundamental change to the business model. It might be possible in the future, but I don't see that happening this generation.
They still could have let X and Y players battle their Hoenn cousins. This way, when they see the new Megas and see how powerful they can be against them, but are unable to use them, it could be a form of advertisement.

So remember when I was talking about how Leafeon gets Leaf Blade at level 71 in Platinum? Well, great, they fixed that in XY - it gets it at level 45 now; and that's pretty decent considering you can get on with non-STAB moves like facade and shit until then!
... except that the moss rock isn't available until the last gym.
And while we're on that subject, the ice rock for Glaceon isn't available until just before gym 7 in both Platinum and XY.
And the moss/ice rocks aren't available until after you beat the game in BW2 and don't even exist in HGSS.
Do Game Freak just hate these pokemon

Kurona I'll point you to this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sustainability-of-the-pokémon-model.3525512/

CRoll makes some excellent points about certain things having to be shoe-horned in to the newer games because of odd choices in earlier gens. Leafeon/Glaceon/Magnezone etc need to have areas added to be able to evolve.
Well I mean, that's not exactly what my post was about though it is a fair point... were it not for the fact that those evolution areas are probably the least intrusive. You literally need a forest, an icy terrain/cave and a place with considerable electromagnetic activity... which every Pokémon game has. HGSS of all things has two regions with which to spread this across; even if they wanted to keep it until after Johto (because they really didn't want you to get new evolutions unless absolutely necessary), there's Viridian Forest, Seafoam Islands and Route 10 - all of which underwent large design changes regardless, so if we're talking about those evolution areas there's no excuse. Regardless, it wasn't really my point and it's far from something that annoys me since it's a (at the time) new evolution gimmick that is honestly not intrusive at all.

Well I mean, that's not exactly what my post was about though it is a fair point... were it not for the fact that those evolution areas are probably the least intrusive. You literally need a forest, an icy terrain/cave and a place with considerable electromagnetic activity... which every Pokémon game has. HGSS of all things has two regions with which to spread this across; even if they wanted to keep it until after Johto (because they really didn't want you to get new evolutions unless absolutely necessary), there's Viridian Forest, Seafoam Islands and Route 10 - all of which underwent large design changes regardless, so if we're talking about those evolution areas there's no excuse. Regardless, it wasn't really my point and it's far from something that annoys me since it's a (at the time) new evolution gimmick that is honestly not intrusive at all.
I think you would have just probably preferred the Moss Rock in like Santalune Forest wouldn't you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 15)