(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Location Evolution: The problem with the location evolution is that they don't really keep them in mind when making the region. Once the region is done then they look for a location to put them in so it's up to chance where they rocks and magnetic field would be placed. Most problematic is the Ice Rock since if there's a cold/snowy/icy location they usually save it for the latter half of the game. Of course it would be just as problematic to plan the region around this very specific evolution method.
The only solution would be having multiple locations which have the rocks and magnetic field. Once again the Ice Rock may be a problem to place in other locations though I don't think there would be much complaints if you had some caves with a path that leads off to a basement floor solely for the purpose of having an Ice Rock there.

Location Evolution: The problem with the location evolution is that they don't really keep them in mind when making the region. Once the region is done then they look for a location to put them in so it's up to chance where they rocks and magnetic field would be placed. Most problematic is the Ice Rock since if there's a cold/snowy/icy location they usually save it for the latter half of the game. Of course it would be just as problematic to plan the region around this very specific evolution method.
The only solution would be having multiple locations which have the rocks and magnetic field. Once again the Ice Rock may be a problem to place in other locations though I don't think there would be much complaints if you had some caves with a path that leads off to a basement floor solely for the purpose of having an Ice Rock there.
I am pretty sure every region has an area where any of these evolutions could take place, though.

I just think for Location evolution they should do away with having to place the rock specifically and just tie it to traits of the area.

For example, Leafeon can evolve in any Forest, not just the lategame Mossy Rock location we have now. Maybe Glaceon evolves anywhere cold, like Gen 5's Cold Storage, or if they re-implemented weather it could evolve by leveling up in Winter if nothing supersedes it (such as Umbreon/Espeon).

I feel like the Rocks were used initially to advertise that there was something significant here, and the player would put 2 and 2 together if they saw the other Eeveelutions. By this point we know about them and they're just a pain to get for a main game run.

And of course, why does Leafeon not just use a Leaf Stone? It annoys me that so many Eeveelutions that should use Stones simply don't because they were shoehorned into an "ooh fancy" display of game features: Umbreon and Espeon use the cumbersome combo of Time and Friendship mechanics, Leafeon and Glaceon used the location, and Sylveon used Pokemon-Amie. Everyone of these except Glaceon could have used a stone, and every one of those except Sylveon had a very obvious choice (Sylveon could have been Dawn Stone or Shiny Stone).

I just think for Location evolution they should do away with having to place the rock specifically and just tie it to traits of the area.

For example, Leafeon can evolve in any Forest, not just the lategame Mossy Rock location we have now. Maybe Glaceon evolves anywhere cold, like Gen 5's Cold Storage, or if they re-implemented weather it could evolve by leveling up in Winter if nothing supersedes it (such as Umbreon/Espeon).

I feel like the Rocks were used initially to advertise that there was something significant here, and the player would put 2 and 2 together if they saw the other Eeveelutions. By this point we know about them and they're just a pain to get for a main game run.

And of course, why does Leafeon not just use a Leaf Stone? It annoys me that so many Eeveelutions that should use Stones simply don't because they were shoehorned into an "ooh fancy" display of game features: Umbreon and Espeon use the cumbersome combo of Time and Friendship mechanics, Leafeon and Glaceon used the location, and Sylveon used Pokemon-Amie. Everyone of these except Glaceon could have used a stone, and every one of those except Sylveon had a very obvious choice (Sylveon could have been Dawn Stone or Shiny Stone).
Every new Eeveelution is to show off a new feature. Always has, always will. Which is why Gen 3 and Gen 5 didn't have one, because there wasn't a new feature that would work in a way for a Pokemon to evolve.

That said, only Glaceon and Sylveon are the only ones that don't already have a stone available that could be used to evolve Eevee

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I am pretty sure every region has an area where any of these evolutions could take place, though.
Yeah? Don't see what you're responding to in my post. What I was trying to say there should be multiple locations where they could put the rocks and magnetic field. For example in Kalso:

Moss Rock: Route 12 (only accessible via Skiddo), Santalune Forest, Route 20, Route 15 (via an entrance from the Lost Hotel)
Ice Rock: Glittering Cave, Reflection Cave, Frost Cavern, Route 22 (via entrance from Chamber of Emptiness)
Magnetic Field: Route 10, Route 13, Terminus Cave

Every new Eeveelution is to show off a new feature. Always has, always will. Which is why Gen 3 and Gen 5 didn't have one, because there wasn't a new feature that would work in a way for a Pokemon to evolve.

That said, only Glaceon and Sylveon are the only ones that don't already have a stone available that could be used to evolve Eevee
What feature did Leafeon and Glaceon show off? They're the only ones who evolve via Moss Rock and Ice Rock. Also every gen has something new to show off, like Gen III had on field weather conditions (think Sliggoo) & Gen V had seasons. Though since Gen II there has been a new Eeveelution every even numbered generation: Espeon & Umbreon in Gen II, Glaceon & Leafeon in Gen IV, and Sylveon in Gen VI. So if this pattern continues we won't see a new Eeveelution next gen but the one after it. Of course I wouldn't complain if they decide to break the pattern.

Vaporeon = Water Stone
Jolteon = Thunder Stone
Flareon = Fire Stone
Espeon = Sun Stone
Umbreon = Moon Stone
Leafeon = Leaf Stone
Glaceon = Dawn Stone
Sylveon = Shiny Stone

However, I honestly feel the way they did things would work if they just had more places have the Moss Rock and Ice Rock.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Leafeon and Glaceon where there to showcase geographical evolution just like magnezone.

Gen IV was all about evolution of previous mons and horrible geography that caused inconvenient traveling through a region.
Because Magnezone and Probopass couldn't show off geographical evolution without them?

With Espeon & Umbreon they were the only ones who evolved depending on time of day so it made you pay more attention to the new day & night mechanic.

With Sylveon its the only one that evolves with Pokemon-Amie so you need to learn the mechanics to get Eevee to the point it'll evolve (plus knowing a Fairy-type move but that's only there to flag the game that its Sylveon that Eevee should be evolving into instead of Espeon/Umbreon).

But Leafeon and Glaceon are the odd ones out as, though it brings attention to a new location-based evolution method, they have to make special locations specifically for them. Had they made one new Eeveelution affected by the strong magnetic field or more Pokemon that evolve via the Moss & Ice Rock it wouldn't be odd, but only they use the rocks. Also in DPP the Rocks are fairly easy to get too; Ice Rock may be annoying to get to due to the piled snow but that just means you can't run to where it is which is right on the path.

How people think that Pokemon Need to be based off of animals/plants/living things. There's nothing that says that pokemon have to based off of living things, but people freak out when they see one based off on an inanimate object. They especially bash generation five for this. "Oh, a chandelier, gears, ice cream, and trash are pokemon? Wow, that's dumb." They had magnets and pokemon based off of potty sludge in generation one. Yeah, garbodor and Vanilluxe are silly, but not really any more silly than a pokemon based off of a tongue. My biggest beef here is that people think that pokemon based off of objects are dumb just... because. I guess it's fine to have that opinion, but again: There's nothing that says that a pokemon based off of an object is dumb besides yourself. Gamefreak never intended this game to be based off of a ton of animals and plants. They wanted this game to be what it is, with its potty sludge and magnets and chandeliers included. Thanks for listening to me rant.

How people think that Pokemon Need to be based off of animals/plants/living things. There's nothing that says that pokemon have to based off of living things, but people freak out when they see one based off on an inanimate object. They especially bash generation five for this. "Oh, a chandelier, gears, ice cream, and trash are pokemon? Wow, that's dumb." They had magnets and pokemon based off of potty sludge in generation one. Yeah, garbodor and Vanilluxe are silly, but not really any more silly than a pokemon based off of a tongue. My biggest beef here is that people think that pokemon based off of objects are dumb just... because. I guess it's fine to have that opinion, but again: There's nothing that says that a pokemon based off of an object is dumb besides yourself. Gamefreak never intended this game to be based off of a ton of animals and plants. They wanted this game to be what it is, with its potty sludge and magnets and chandeliers included. Thanks for listening to me rant.
This is the place to rant, and this reference is not complete under any circumstances without Klinklang. A Pokemon based not off a living thing, but a freaking gear.

If we accept that Pokemon need not be entirely organism-based, than GameFreak is not running out if ideas. In fact, there lies quite a bit of untapped potential.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thatwackycruton & jordanthejq12:
I'll just put a link here...

As said, from the start Pokemon had creatures based on inanimate objects so why are people getting upset about it now? I suppose it's not that the Pokemon is based on an object but rather what they do with the concept and design. Now once the design has grown on me I don't really mind and sometimes even start liking these Pokemon, I can understand some people's dislike of them. The Klink family for example, how does it work exactly? Like we take Magnemite and Voltorb family and we can sort of "see" where the main body is and from there figure out the possible biology of it thus giving is some credible life (this is a subconscious thing, BTW). But what about the Klink family? It's not a creature with parts of it being gears, it is just gears with a vague face on it. What is its biological makeup and how does its part interact with one another? Then we have Pokemon like Vanillite and Trubbish who either didn't or did take too much liberties with the design. We take Grimer family and, though it's a pile of sludge, they did enough with it by having the sludge form hands and face that we just see a monster made of sludge. However Vanillite looks way too much like an ice cream cone while Trubbish is just a garbage with a face. Had Vanillite looked more like an icicle that vaguely resemble an ice cream cone and Trubbish look like a troll or imp whose filthy and wears a garbage bag clothing that might have made people more willing to accept it as an actual creature than an object with a face slapped onto it (even the Voltorb, who are suppose to be living Pokeballs, don't exactly look like Pokeballs with a face slapped on. The ball has been simplified in design and the faces for Voltorb and Electrode are both different and give them personality. Vanillite and Trubbish family share faces and they're all dopey expressions).

However there's nothing wrong with their base concept. For those who only think Pokemon should be animals need to say the franchise name to themselves. Pokemon. Pocket Monsters. MONSTERS. While they have replaced animals, they're fantastical monsters first and than creatures who evolved and adapted into their environment second. They can use elemental attacks, change shape suddenly, and heal their battle wounds with potions or rest. I'm personally willing to give them some wiggle room in what defines a creature being a Pokemon as long as it can serve the function as a Pokemon. Even if I disagree with a design choice they went with honestly it's not that big of a deal as they're a dozen other Pokemon who's design I do like and everyone has their own taste.

Also, now that the games are getting away from the regions being based in Japan I would actually say people should be expecting and more accepting to new Pokemon designs. Though still mainly designed by Japanese (though I know for at least Gen V they started having their other departments from around the world submit designs, not sure about Gen VI) they're basing Pokemon off of the cultures the region is based off of so they may also decide to go with different design choices to differ them from the Japanese based regions.

Tl;dr, while I think the designs grow on you I can see where some people would have problems with design choices down with the recent object Pokemon being too on the nose. There's nothing wrong with the concept though, and Pokemon are magical monsters not meant to a 1:1 parallel to real world animals. Plus as regions are now being based on other places around the world they could intentionally be going for different design choices and so maybe we should be at least more open to them instead of comparing them to the old Pokemon.

Because Magnezone and Probopass couldn't show off geographical evolution without them?

With Espeon & Umbreon they were the only ones who evolved depending on time of day so it made you pay more attention to the new day & night mechanic.

With Sylveon its the only one that evolves with Pokemon-Amie so you need to learn the mechanics to get Eevee to the point it'll evolve (plus knowing a Fairy-type move but that's only there to flag the game that its Sylveon that Eevee should be evolving into instead of Espeon/Umbreon).

But Leafeon and Glaceon are the odd ones out as, though it brings attention to a new location-based evolution method, they have to make special locations specifically for them. Had they made one new Eeveelution affected by the strong magnetic field or more Pokemon that evolve via the Moss & Ice Rock it wouldn't be odd, but only they use the rocks. Also in DPP the Rocks are fairly easy to get too; Ice Rock may be annoying to get to due to the piled snow but that just means you can't run to where it is which is right on the path.
Umbreon and Espeon showed off Friendship with the day night cycle thrown in as well. A few Pokemon evolved via Friendship in Gen 2 as well iirc

IIRC, you don't actually need to be right next to the rocks, even in gen 4, you just have to be in their location. (so anywhere in Eterna Forest/along Route 217 would work)
Umbreon and Espeon showed off Friendship with the day night cycle thrown in as well. A few Pokemon evolved via Friendship in Gen 2 as well iirc
Most of the then-introduced baby Pokemon evolved via friendship, along with Crobat and Blissey.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But Friendship has other affects outside of evolving Pokemon (as well as time of day though on a lesser degree). Moss Rock and Ice Rock do NOTHING else besides evolve Eevee into Leafeon and Glaceon, thus they're not exactly showing off a new mechanic. Had the magnetic field that affects Magneton and Nosepass also evolved Eevee (say the magnetic field extended into Eterna Forest & Route 217 and that's why Eevee evolved) then it would be showing off a new mechanic not exclusive to Eevee.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Though admittedly it'd be kinda weird applying strange magnetism to Eevee. Just being Eevee shouldn't be a blanket check to use mechanics that in its case would make no damn sense.
Like strange magnetism is any better than strange energy coming from a mossy and frozen rock? Eevee seems susceptible to all kinds of radiation so it's not that far of a stretch at all.

Like strange magnetism is any better than strange energy coming from a mossy and frozen rock? Eevee seems susceptible to all kinds of radiation so it's not that far of a stretch at all.
Eh, I just think they didn't feel like making a Steel type Eeveelution just yet at the time, so they didn't bother tying one in to Mt. Coronet and then later Chargestone Cave/Kalos Power Plant/New Mauville. (Electric's already covered with Jolteon, and both Magnezone and Probopass are Steel type, so that's really just my best guess what it would have been if they did it)

Pretty minor, but I really wish you could see the nature and characteristic of your newly caught/hatched/gifted Pokémon before you can name them so you can have inspiration. It's not that bad since you can of course easily go to the name rater, but it'd just be nice to do it in the heat of the moment as well as those times before you have access to the name rater.

Pretty minor, but I really wish you could see the nature and characteristic of your newly caught/hatched/gifted Pokémon before you can name them so you can have inspiration. It's not that bad since you can of course easily go to the name rater, but it'd just be nice to do it in the heat of the moment as well as those times before you have access to the name rater.
I can live without it (since I'm certain it's giving kids too much information and I wouldn't use it most of the time), but I can definitely see and get why it would be useful to potentially access the stat screen or something when you're ready to give nicknames.

But Friendship has other affects outside of evolving Pokemon (as well as time of day though on a lesser degree). Moss Rock and Ice Rock do NOTHING else besides evolve Eevee into Leafeon and Glaceon, thus they're not exactly showing off a new mechanic. Had the magnetic field that affects Magneton and Nosepass also evolved Eevee (say the magnetic field extended into Eterna Forest & Route 217 and that's why Eevee evolved) then it would be showing off a new mechanic not exclusive to Eevee.
iirc in ORAS you can evolve Eevee into Leafeon anywhere in Petlberg Woods

New thing: complicated as hell Pokemon names. Either you're made up of more than 3 words, or otherwise a very odd choice of words.

Major offenders:
Oshawott (Ocean+shell+water+otter. Really? Right beside Tepid+pig and Snake+ivy? I'd even prefer the much less subtle Wotter.)
Cofagrigus (Sarcophagus/coffin+...egregious. I think I know what's egregious here...)
Unfezant (Unpleasant + unfazed + pheasant. Admittedly kinda cool with the Z and all, but the Un- in front is really annoying.)
Amoonguss (Fungus among us. More like trainwreck among us.)
Eelektross (Eel + elektric + boss/gross. So many things in one name, and they still couldn't resist throwing in the k corruption.)
Victreebel (Victory + tree + bell. There are several things wrong with this one.)

The ones that I'll spare:
Conkeldurr manages to sound cool even though it consists of Conk, Elder and Durr Hurr Hurr. All in reference to a muscular clown granny with two pillars as walking sticks. The fact that its whole concept works at all is a miracle, really.
Haxorus (Hack + ax + saurus) is absolutely amazing, a composite name done right.
Hydreigon (Hydra + drei + dragon) too.
Reuniclus: Reunite + homunculus + maybe nucleus. An ugly word to look at, but alright to pronounce.

Evidently they're common in Gen V. No kidding, most names in other gens are made of two words or less.

Here's something. Capturing legendaries is really annoying. It's like it's designed to burn through your pokeballs. After getting statused and false swiped to 1 HP there's literally nothing more you can do to increase your capture rate but burn through turns and hope your Timer Ball finally works out or you run out of pokeballs.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Here's something. Capturing legendaries is really annoying. It's like it's designed to burn through your pokeballs. After getting statused and false swiped to 1 HP there's literally nothing more you can do to increase your capture rate but burn through turns and hope your Timer Ball finally works out or you run out of pokeballs.
That's kinda the whole point; legendaries are supposed to be difficult catches because they are better than the majority of other Pokemon. Catching them is supposed to be hard, but rewarding. :P

We also have the capture o-power now, and lv 3 greatly helps with catching the more difficult legendaries.

New minor annoyance: Swarms in HGSS being post-Johto. The original swarmers from GSC (Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Yanma, Snubbull, Remoraid, & Marill) should've been allowed to swarm before the post-game like in Gen II. It's not a big deal for Dunsparce, since you can easily catch them in Dark Cave through Rock Smash, but if you plan on using any of the other Pokemon in a playthrough, you better hope RNGeus is feeling merciful. And for Qwilfish, you have to wait until Olivine before you're even able to start trying to fish for it since the old rod won't hook it, and no swarms available to change that.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Inb4 pokemon go burns your cash with legendaries

I don't like how you need to save before trading, etc. It can be turned off, but I keep it on because I understand the safety. But it still annoys me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)