Little things you like about Pokémon

Speaking of Wulfric, it reminded me about the little animations the Gym Leaders in XY and ORAS did just before the battle started. Wulfric specifically stands out because he does a gut smack which I thought was funny. It gives them a bit more personality and maybe a little bit of what you can expect from them. Also found it funny how him and Valerie took up 3 tile spaces. :P
Flannery was the one that stuck out to me. "Hiyayayayayaya!"

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I like how Olympia is psychic, and that how we are going to see another psychic person in the anime.
After since what... Sabrina?

I just like how some people in the Pokemon world are psychic. It just adds depth into the franchise and makes stuff intriguing. I hope they develop some sort of power for the fairy girls too. (Other than how Valerie can speak to fairy Pokemons)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like how Olympia is psychic, and that how we are going to see another psychic person in the anime.
After since what... Sabrina?

I just like how some people in the Pokemon world are psychic. It just adds depth into the franchise and makes stuff intriguing. I hope they develop some sort of power for the fairy girls too. (Other than how Valerie can speak to fairy Pokemons)
We've seen other psychics though on a lesser degree compared to Sabrina and now Olympia. Anabel and Caitlin were psychic but Anabel was just sensitive to Pokemon emotions while Caitlin (who I believe we saw float) was just a cameo who Ash & co. didn't even interact with.

Psychics sort of make sense being there's Psychic-type Pokemon, it's like how Blackbelts are pretty much the human Fighting-type equivalent. Fairy Girls (and by extension Hex Maniacs) also seems like this for Fairy- and Ghost-types and are alluded to having some special powers associated with their type of choice though mostly jokingly (Fairy Girls talk about casting magical spells while Hex Maniac ramble on about laying curses).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Xerneas is an anagram of Serena with an "x" thrown in. It's more than likely unintentional, but to a Kingdom Hearts fan like me it's a hilarious coincidence.

The Route themes in Unova are slightly different depending on the season. It's a subtle but nice touch.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Xerneas is an anagram of Serena with an "x" thrown in. It's more than likely unintentional, but to a Kingdom Hearts fan like me it's a hilarious coincidence.
So what would Serena's element and weapon be? Life and a version of Vanille's antler club from FF13 except fashioned after Xerneas's antlers? :P

Here's a real subtle one: I like how they allude, but never really confirmed, the Legendary Beast's having a connection with the first 3 Eeveelutions.
When the Brass Tower was burned down 3 Pokemon perished in the fire which Ho-Oh resurrected as the Legendary Beasts. While their types reflected the events which led the the tower burning down (the lighting that struck it, the fire which burned it, and the rain that put it out) it's also believed the 3 Pokemon that were resurrected were originally the original 3 Eeveelutions. Though never specifically confirmed, there are hints to this:

1. The Legendary Beast's Hidden Abilities are the same as the main Abilities of the original three Eeveelutions.
2. While not an exact 1:1, their roles via their stats are sort of the same (Raikou and Jolteon are speedy Special Attackers, Entei's and Flareon's highest stat is their Attack, and Suicune and Vaporeon stats can make them defensive Pokemon and Special Attackers).
3. Similarly you can make vague connections with their movepools. In addition to learning some of the same moves (which is obvious since they're the same type) Raikou & Jolteon learn a random Physical move that's not their type (Crunch for Raikou & Double Kick for Jolteon) and Entei & Flareon mainly learn Special moves but in this Gen got a highly wanted Physical move (Flare Blitz for Flareon and Sacred Fire for Entei (BTW Entei can't learn Flare Blitz)).
4. The Tower is in Ecruteak City which not only has the Kimono Dance Theater but also in Crystal, before going to the Bell Tower, you need to battle 3 Sages who all use Noctowl and, you guessed it, one member of the original Eeveelutions.

So what would Serena's element and weapon be? Life and a version of Vanille's antler club from FF13 except fashioned after Xerneas's antlers? :P

Here's a real subtle one: I like how they allude, but never really confirmed, the Legendary Beast's having a connection with the first 3 Eeveelutions.
When the Brass Tower was burned down 3 Pokemon perished in the fire which Ho-Oh resurrected as the Legendary Beasts. While their types reflected the events which led the the tower burning down (the lighting that struck it, the fire which burned it, and the rain that put it out) it's also believed the 3 Pokemon that were resurrected were originally the original 3 Eeveelutions. Though never specifically confirmed, there are hints to this:

1. The Legendary Beast's Hidden Abilities are the same as the main Abilities of the original three Eeveelutions.
2. While not an exact 1:1, their roles via their stats are sort of the same (Raikou and Jolteon are speedy Special Attackers, Entei's and Flareon's highest stat is their Attack, and Suicune and Vaporeon stats can make them defensive Pokemon and Special Attackers).
3. Similarly you can make vague connections with their movepools. In addition to learning some of the same moves (which is obvious since they're the same type) Raikou & Jolteon learn a random Physical move that's not their type (Crunch for Raikou & Double Kick for Jolteon) and Entei & Flareon mainly learn Special moves but in this Gen got a highly wanted Physical move (Flare Blitz for Flareon and Sacred Fire for Entei (BTW Entei can't learn Flare Blitz)).
4. The Tower is in Ecruteak City which not only has the Kimono Dance Theater but also in Crystal, before going to the Bell Tower, you need to battle 3 Sages who all use Noctowl and, you guessed it, one member of the original Eeveelutions.
One other thing I've just recently noticed is that you could also make a small connection between Espeon/Umbreon and Ho-Oh/Lugia. Ho-Oh and Espeon have some pretty clear connections to bright and day - sun and rainbow - and while Lugia doesn't exactly have a night theme like Umbreon does, it is predominantly found in deep places where it's very dark. Not to mention Umbreon and Lugia both share the role of walling, and while Ho-Oh doesn't have high speed or special attack, it shares Espeon's preference for Offence over the counterpart's Defence.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
One other thing I've just recently noticed is that you could also make a small connection between Espeon/Umbreon and Ho-Oh/Lugia. Ho-Oh and Espeon have some pretty clear connections to bright and day - sun and rainbow - and while Lugia doesn't exactly have a night theme like Umbreon does, it is predominantly found in deep places where it's very dark. Not to mention Umbreon and Lugia both share the role of walling, and while Ho-Oh doesn't have high speed or special attack, it shares Espeon's preference for Offence over the counterpart's Defence.
Another day and night connection between the Eeveelutions and Legendary is that Ho-Oh is the bird of the Tin Tower where it's said Pokemon go to be born (and the start of a life is usually related to the morning/rising of the sun) while Lugia is the bird of the Brass Tower where it's Pokemon go to die (and the end of a life is usually related to the evening/setting of the sun).

jordanthejq12 mentioned Flying home to see Mom as soon as you get HM02 and teach it to someone.

I thought I was the only one.

One of my top favorite things about BW2 was the expanded use of the XTranceiver to allow for on-demand contact with Mom. On top of expanding the XTranceiver's functionality, it also felt like a much-needed update to the PokeGear from Gen2/Gen4, when your only conversation with your Mom was about money. Like, sometimes I just wanna know what you think, Mommy...

You don't just sever ties with your family when you leave the house IRL, I enjoyed that they gave BW2 Mom a laundry list of phrases to run through to make her feel more humane. Ain't no shame in being a little Momma's-bird

I met Pokémon while I was just a lil child. It makes the franchise special in my heart. That's great. But there are other franchises that give me that nostalgic feeling. Pokémon is unique here because it's still around.

One thing I love about Pokémon is that it allows my enthusiast self to be free. Now this may sound generic and what-not, but it's really quite unique. Let me expand on it.

Some of the games I've really loved in my life are The Elder Scrolls III, IV and V, World of Warcraft, Dota, Mount & Blade. I am also really looking forward to No Man's Sky. You see a pattern? I really like freedom and variety.
It satisfies me a lot when a game allows me to go crazy and pour a lot of my time into it. This is very important to me. See, I have the problem of getting too addicted to things, I'm an enthusiast of all the things I like. I also like to talk and to think chains of thoughts. Pokémon lets me do just that. There is so much to see and do, so much going on. I can battle online with a variety of mons and sets, I can try to beat records in the Battle Maison, I can search for shinies, I can complete my dex. Pokémon battling is unpredictable in itself. I love it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pokemon Company just made a deal with Build-a-Bear Workshops so you can make your own Pikachu plush. Some of the additional accessories they're offering is a Pokeball Hoodie, sound chip, and if you order online you also have an option for a Charizard costume! (Too bad I don't have a Build-a-Bear near me, totally would have gotten a Charizard Pikachu...). You'll also get an exclusive Pikachu TCG card.

I wonder if its successful they'd do other Pokemon in the future. I'd imagine one for Eevee where you can get accessories and costumes of its Eeveelutions would be pretty popular.

Pokemon Company just made a deal with Build-a-Bear Workshops so you can make your own Pikachu plush. Some of the additional accessories they're offering is a Pokeball Hoodie, sound chip, and if you order online you also have an option for a Charizard costume! (Too bad I don't have a Build-a-Bear near me, totally would have gotten a Charizard Pikachu...). You'll also get an exclusive Pikachu TCG card.

I wonder if its successful they'd do other Pokemon in the future. I'd imagine one for Eevee where you can get accessories and costumes of its Eeveelutions would be pretty popular.
Success isn't really a factor here. You'd think someone like Build-a-bear would try to get a deal with a brand as successful as Pokemon way sooner if it was ever about brand name success. It may be that Build-a-bear has been trying to get a deal like this for a long time, and the reason they didn't is because Takara, Tomy and Jakks Pacific didn't want anyone else selling official Pokemon toys for a long time, but it's more likely that the Build-a-Pikachu is just a special promotional item.

I'm gonna go to Hobby Lobby and get some stuff to sew a pika-sized version of Red's gen3 outfit for my Build-a-Pikachu :3

I'm surprised they didn't do the Ursaring and Beartic lines while they were at it. Since last time I looked, the Build-a-Bear Workshop specialized in teddy bears.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm surprised they didn't do the Ursaring and Beartic lines while they were at it. Since last time I looked, the Build-a-Bear Workshop specialized in teddy bears.
Actually I think they just do stuffed animals just in general. Like one of their last promotions was with My Little Pony.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
For once, I'm not ashamed to be uninformed. Since I haven't really been into stuffed animals since the days I went to summer camp.
Just checked their main website and, yeah, they do a ton of stuff aside teddy bears (they also have a Despicable Me Minion, How To Train Your Dragon Toothless, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, Peanut's Snoopy). And here I also though they were just Teddy Bears, too.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I like how a good number of the fairy types draw on the much more fascinating fair folk type of fairies than the modernized ones. Most qualify under youkai, but it still is nice to see as many fairies who don't hesitate to screw with you (Hi Klefki and Whimsicott, you obnoxious little shits) or tear you a new one (Mawile, Gardevoir to an extent if their trainer is harmed),as those who just want to spread joy and relax (Altaria).

Lovin the posts here and forgive the laziness in my human nature for only scrolling through the first and last pages, but I'll say that I enjoy all the fat/round Pokemon they dish out. Nothing to do with technicality or lore, but it's just something I enjoy. Lickilicky and Glalie for example. I love how their designs look. Not too over-the-top but certainly not boring to look at either.

I also love how every generation has its own feel to it (sorry if someone's posted about this before) but like Kanto made me feel like a kid going on an adventure for the first time. It was the most grounded of the Pokemon games imo.

Johto made me feel nostalgic. Like I'd been there before. Then lo and behold after beating the E4...a train going straight to Saffron City from Goldenrod!

Hoenn was the most tiring <insert water rant here> but also the most enjoyable. It had more of a tropical feel to it, and a sign of moving towards the future in the Pokemon World.

Sinnoh had me feelin more like a teen than a little kid. Especially in the events of BW2 taking place right after BW. Sinnoh was the hub of jazz with a blend of dancy and chill music in its OST.

Unova was a sprawling mass though still not as widespread as Hoenn. I felt more like a teen looking for his first job in this region. Being based on New York was cool too and riding your bike over that long-ass bridge *le sigh* nothing could describe how it felt.

Enter Kalos. The prim and proper cousin of all the other regions. It has an air of sophistication to it, a regality if you will. Having the chance to be called Grand Duke ain't too shabby either. Cycling through the English countryside is how I'd describe my experience with it.

Incidentally, with the mentioning of the train earlier, I like how they added a plane to the means of transportation in BW2 to take you from Mistralton City to Lentimas Town. It was a nice change of pace from the usual boat or ship. Flying with Latios/Latias using the Azure Flute was also a nice touch in ORAS, as well as the new diving experience. It isn't one specific thing about the regions, rather, the blending of all their unique aspects to create an individual flavor for each one.

It is how each version makes me feel that I like the most. When you mix all the little things together to make this one big great feeling of adventure.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Speaking of Mega Evolutions there is two things I just thought about which is neat about them:

1. Subtext: Going off with what Karxrida said there are some other subtle bits:

Gengar: Gengar is called the Shadow Pokemon so for its Mega Evolutions it literally becomes a shadow thus why it loses Levitate (it's now connected to the floor) and gets Shadow Tag (as a shadow it can grab and hold onto other's shadow).
Kangaskhan: While the mother doesn't change the child noticeably matures. The mother gave up becoming stronger so that its child could and join in the battle (thus getting Parental Bond). Also its Mega Evolution sequence is adorable with the baby jumping out of the pouch and giving the mother a high five.
Gardevoir: Gardevoir, as well as the whole Ralts family, is about forming a strong bond with its trainer. So for its Mega Evolution its grows a dress that suspiciously looks like a wedding dress...
Absol: Though a harbinger, Absol always acted as a sort of guardian angel despite people mistaking its warnings for it causing the disaster. Finally its Mega Evolution gets retribution and it becomes a fully realized guardian angel growing an angelic wing and an Ability which one could say represents it preventing disasters from happening.
Slowbro: The reason Shellder bit Slowpoke's tail is because its delicious. It's now just trying to finish its meal...
Salamence: As a Bagon it dreamed of flying. As a Shelgon is prepared itself to fly. As a Salamence it finally gained flight. And as Mega Salamence it learns about aerodynamics so it can master flying.
Metagross: Beldum was one limb. Doubled to two with Metang. Doubled again to four with Metagross. And it doubled the last time to eight with Mega Metagross.
Latios & Latias: Their Mega Evolution's similar appearance could be taken as their species either reverting to their origin form when they were one species OR advancing to a logical biological evolution point where the two species become one. Eitherway you can take it as them becoming individually "whole" (but still not quite there as they still have differences).

2. Dex-like Entry: GameFreak just didn't say Mega Evolutions are advanced forms of a Pokemon, they did add some additional information about them making them feel more fleshed out. It's just dissapointing that these dex-like entries are only on the main XY and ORAS website and not anywhere in the games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)