Little things you like about Pokémon

It used to be that the Trainer's School was just some place you stopped in to get the Quick Claw and learn about status conditions. Come Gen VI, you can actually battle people. And in Gen VII, it's actually story-relevant, kind of.
Spoiler alert! But I seriously look forward to January, when I can transfer hatchlings, and start training them there. And bredjects, because Wonder Trade is back, baby!!! I'm so hyped, I wish I could transfer those Drilbur hatchlings to Sun right now! We have to contact Nappy for more WTWs!

Oh, and how long does it typically take to create moveset entries?

You can high-five Mimikyu in Pokémon Refresh.
Don't you mean Pyukumuku? (I'm sure I spelt that wrong)
Because that would make way more sense...

Anyway, there's another small and really overlooked feature in HG and SS. Turns out that if you talk to a certain type of pokemon on a certain route, it will find and give you a golden leaf. The amount of golden leaves your pokemon collects is view-able in the summary of your pokemon. I only discovered this feature after playing like 6 years of playing the game.

I'll put this one in a spoiler since it's Sun/Moon spoilers

Kartana - the Pokemon that seems to be based off of a very sharp Origami with its sky high attack but paper-thin special defenses - has the typing Grass/Steel. Sure you might think "Oh it's like paper so it must be Grass, and it's as sharp as a sword so it must be Steel type!", but I have one more thought to that typing. Both Grass and Steel are super effective against Rock - just like how Paper beats Rock in Rock-Paper-Scissors. Now if only we got a pair of Fire Scissors and we'd have the complete line.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just discovered this little detail in White 2. Specifically, the woman in the Weather Institute who tells you everything about weather, given a Pokémon knowing the move. And yes, I do mean everything.

"Oh, my! Your Cherrim knows the move Sunny Day!
For a Trainer like you, here comes a Pokémon weather forecast!
Ahem!

Using the move Sunny Day or sending out a Pokémon with the Ability Drought will cause the sun to shine brightly.

When it's sunny, the power of Fire-type moves will be boosted by 50 percent!

The power of Water-type moves will be reduced by 50 percent!

Weather Ball will become a Fire-type move, and its power will be boosted by 100 percent!

The stat increase of the move Growth is boosted by 200 percent!

When it's sunny, it's been reported that Pokémon can't be frozen, and frozen Pokémon are defrosted!

By the way, the Pokémon called Castform is known to change its form when it's sunny and become a Fire type.

The clear sky increases the amount of HP recovered from the moves Morning Sun, Synthesis, and Moonlight.

This is a weather advisory!
When it's sunny, the move SolarBeam can be used every turn. It doesn't have to charge up first!

Please be aware that the moves Thunder and Hurricane will be more likely to miss!

By the way, there are some Abilities that take effect when it's sunny, such as Chlorophyll, Harvest, Solar Power, and Harvest. (Edit: I probably messed this part up lol)

Please check your Pokémon's status!

The lucky item on a sunny day is the Heat Rock!

By the way, the sunshine may feel nice, but remember to take care of your skin and try not to get a sunburn."

I wish I came across this when I was a new player :o

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Speaking of this little guy, ever since he was revealed, I swore he reminded me of something or someone besides Pikachu. Well, after spacing out in my 2 hr accounting letcure, I finally know what Mimikyu reminds me of.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Speaking of this little guy, ever since he was revealed, I swore he reminded me of something or someone besides Pikachu. Well, after spacing out in my 2 hr accounting letcure, I finally know what Mimikyu reminds me of.

On a related note, I like/love that Versus Books made a guide for Pokémon Trading Card Game: The Game

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's another Sun/Moon one:

At some point after you defeat Guzma there, a bunch of trainers set up a "Nugget Bridge" in Malie Garden. The trainers are the same as the ones on the original Nugget Bridge in Route 24 in RBY, fought in the same order. They use the same Pokémon too, but at a higher level than they originally did.

The last one, a Veteran, even tries to persuade you into joining Team Rocket. No idea whether the Bridge could be exploited to yield infinite Nuggets like in Gen I, though...

The answer choices in Sun/Moon are amazing. The amount of snark the player character can deliver in the game could very well be the highest in the series.

I eventually started picking the nastiest answer just for fun, particularly on Lillie's questions (such as when she changes clothes or after avoiding the three Murkrow) due to her reactions.

(Bonus points for the "Professor, is that you?" choice when meeting the Masked Royale, or the "What? Me?" choice when Kukui tells Guzma he was going to be defeated only for Kukui to suddenly turn on the player for the battle)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The answer choices in Sun/Moon are amazing. The amount of snark the player character can deliver in the game could very well be the highest in the series.

I eventually started picking the nastiest answer just for fun, particularly on Lillie's questions (such as when she changes clothes or after avoiding the three Murkrow) due to her reactions.

(Bonus points for the "Professor, is that you?" choice when meeting the Masked Royale, or the "What? Me?" choice when Kukui tells Guzma he was going to be defeated only for Kukui to suddenly turn on the player for the battle)
I couldn't bring myself to be mean to Lillie during her "I can do this" moments in Poni Valley, but usually I gave the most sarcastic answer to Kukui, Hau, and before then Lillie (and I was always a bit of a jerk to Team Skull. "Who are you?"). I liked being able to snark a little and bring things a bit down to reality, though I also tried never to give a nasty remark. I know what you say doesn't change your character's relationships, but who knows if they may expand on this in future games and a dreaded "Lillie will remember that" may appear on the top left of the screen. :P

I couldn't bring myself to be mean to Lillie during her "I can do this" moments in Poni Valley, but usually I gave the most sarcastic answer to Kukui, Hau, and before then Lillie (and I was always a bit of a jerk to Team Skull. "Who are you?"). I liked being able to snark a little and bring things a bit down to reality, though I also tried never to give a nasty remark. I know what you say doesn't change your character's relationships, but who knows if they may expand on this in future games and a dreaded "Lillie will remember that" may appear on the top left of the screen. :P
Yeah, it would have been nice if they had some kind of effect in future conversations :P

(same with the Machamp ride. Not having the player character throw Poke Balls while carried by Machamp was a huge missed opportunity)

Having played and beaten the game multiple times now (due mostly to getting both competitive versions of legendaries and versions for my living dex), I had the ability to pick and chose what I tell people, but I guess I just couldn't have the heart to tell Lillie that her "trial" that she completed was just ok.

I dunno... I think it was because I think the Murkrow were really cute and it looked more like they were chatting rather than trying to attack her or something.

Or it was indeed because I wanted to laugh given her expression when picking the nasty remark.

I really like how deadpan and sarcastic you can be with the responses to NPC dialogue during certain conversations you can be. It's nice that your protagonist gets a bit of characterization based on the player's dialogue option, and the results of selecting the more deadpan options are often quite entertaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)