Little things you like about Pokémon

Is it by any chance called Nostalgia? :p

Edit so this isn't a useless one liner: I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I love the starter ceremony, which is really adorable and much better than the generic 'get a PokeBall out of the bag/briefcase/capsule', which is less personal. It actually makes me form a connection with the Pokemon I'm receiving, especially Rowlet, which is really adorable when it flies into your hands.
Yeah I guess it's nostalgia. I hate the way that word gets thrown around so much these days though.

There's so much I like that it's hard to say in one post. I still remember my first time playing and picking bulbasaur on leaf green, evolving it all the way and using my tank (I named him Samson cause of the strength he had) to go all the way to Gary and it coming down to venusaur and his charizard. That feeling of overcoming my hardest fight by like 5 hp with just my venusaur left got me through the bullying I faced at school, it helped me realized I'm stronger than I thought. Pokemon did/does that for a lot of kids and I like that. Plus we get to experience a whole new world.

I kinda like how Z-moves benefit virtually every Pokemon by giving them a one time strong coverage move or STAB move to lure and eliminate a key counter. Compared to Mega Stones, which provides a massive boost to only one Pokemon, Z-moves provide a more passive boost to every Pokemon, with some Pokemon like Salamence and Porygon-Z benefitting significantly more than others. I feel this is a great stride in making the game more balanced. While Mega evolution is really hype inducing, it is ultimately extremely unbalanced in comparison since it usually just ends up giving a mon extremely superlative qualities that lead to most Pokemon that have one becoming extremely overpowered. Z-moves are better in that anything can use them and that they only boost one move once, making them less overpowered as a whole while usually not making a mon broken (aside from specific cases).

Thinking of it in "hindsight", I really like how Kukui is the first legitimately difficult final battle in Pokemon.

While I think Cynthia is more difficult, Kukui actually tries to strategize.

Instead of brute-forcing you with the likes of Spiritomb, Milotic, Lucario or OMA Garchomp, Kukui's team is much more mundane, yet you can see his team is actually attempting to work together.

Lycanroc leads his team and always uses Stealth Rock in the first turn (thank goodness it doesn't have a Focus Sash). Braviary tries to take advantage of those hazards by Whirlwind shuffling, while Magnezone, Ninetales and the third starter take advantage of Braviary's Tailwind. Snorlax is left as his wincon of sorts, although it lacks a setup move. If you don't use items, your team will already be weakened enough for a Snorlax sweep.

It was a pleasant surprise. Not taking into account somewhat minor facts (Lycanroc is not Sashed, Braviary is not exactly bulky to shuffle a team, and Tailwind does not last long enough), it's a well-thought team for in-game standards, and they did not need to put pseudo-legendaries for a proper final boss, such as Ghetsis (who is only difficult because of Hydreigon's dangerous coverage, and even that is removed in BW2, where he's a joke).

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Out of curiosity, on my new Sun save file (prior to the Iki Festival), I wanted to see if you could hop on your bed at the PC's home to heal your party as an alternative to talking to your mom.

Apparently doing so triggers a small cutscene (from the PC's point of view) where Meowth will hop on the bed with you and hand you an Awakening.

Not what I was expecting at all, but I thought it was really cute. And no, you can't heal your party from your bed.

Out of curiosity, on my new Sun save file (prior to the Iki Festival), I wanted to see if you could hop on your bed at the PC's home to heal your party as an alternative to talking to your mom.

Apparently doing so triggers a small cutscene (from the PC's point of view) where Meowth will hop on the bed with you and hand you an Awakening.

Not what I was expecting at all, but I thought it was really cute. And no, you can't heal your party from your bed.
Fun fact, that also happens if you sleep in Hapu's bed in the last island, except this time it's an Alolan Meowth scratching you and giving you an Awakening.

Nice touch and callback to that Meowth event in your house.

Also there's a Miltank in Hapu's house that heals you which is useful since there's only one Pokemon centre in that whole island....

Fun fact, that also happens if you sleep in Hapu's bed in the last island, except this time it's an Alolan Meowth scratching you and giving you an Awakening.

Nice touch and callback to that Meowth event in your house.

Also there's a Miltank in Hapu's house that heals you which is useful since there's only one Pokemon centre in that whole island....
Shit. I didn't know that there was a Miltank there. That would have made things slightly less frustrating.

Shit. I didn't know that there was a Miltank there. That would have made things slightly less frustrating.
I find that it pays to talk to every Pokemon in this game. There are things like another Miltank that will heal your pokemon next to the Breeder lady that gives you the egg, a Delibird in the berry fields house in Melemele island that gives you a Revive and the Magmar in Kiawe's house that gives you a Quick Ball.

One thing I really like that's pretty minor is some of the trainer names in the series having some sort of reference in them that's fitting. For example, there's a scientist in the Battle Maison named Sigmund, which is a clear nod to Sigmund Freud (and I'm pretty sure just about everyone here who browses TV Tropes knows who he is).

I find that it pays to talk to every Pokemon in this game. There are things like another Miltank that will heal your pokemon next to the Breeder lady that gives you the egg, a Delibird in the berry fields house in Melemele island that gives you a Revive and the Magmar in Kiawe's house that gives you a Quick Ball.
For the amount of time it takes, not really. Talking to Pokémon is like looking in trash cans in older games, the rewards are spread too thin to bother with.

For the amount of time it takes, not really. Talking to Pokémon is like looking in trash cans in older games, the rewards are spread too thin to bother with.
True. But one is probably going to do it anyway on the first play-through simply because "talk to/examine EVERYTHING" is practically ingrained in our minds by this point. (and doesn't take THAT much time if you're doing it as you come across new areas)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So apparently Arceus' type will also change depending on the elemental Z-Crystal it holds, that's a neat little detail. However Judgement remains Normal-type, probably to avoid giving it a guaranteed high powered STAB Z-Move (though since its Arceus, why not?). BTW, this means Arceus can only become Fairy-type via the Pixie Plate, Arceus doesn't learn any Fairy-type moves so it can't hold Fairium Z (which has to be an oversight as I don't see why Arceus can't learn Dazzling Gleam).

Actually why doesn't Arceus have its own Z-Crystal?

Last edited:
Arceus doesn't learn any Fairy-type moves so it can't hold Fairium Z (which has to be an oversight as I don't see why Arceus can't learn Dazzling Gleam).

God of Pokemon can't even learn a move for every type now? Hopefully it'll get some via events, Nature's Madness seems fitting, and its learned signature moves of other 'mons via event before.

So apparently Arceus' type will also change depending on the elemental Z-Crystal it holds, that's a neat little detail. However Judgement remains Normal-type, probably to avoid giving it a guaranteed high powered STAB Z-Move (though since its Arceus, why not?). BTW, this means Arceus can only become Fairy-type via the Pixie Plate, Arceus doesn't learn any Fairy-type moves so it can't hold Fairium Z (which has to be an oversight as I don't see why Arceus can't learn Dazzling Gleam).

Well, technically Arceus-Fairy can hold a Fairium Z, but it's as good as itemless because of what you said.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well, technically Arceus-Fairy can hold a Fairium Z, but it's as good as itemless because of what you said.
Oh, Pokemon can hold a Z-Crystal even though they can't use it? I always assumed it prevented you from doing so as your Pokemon has a big ol' "UNABLE" next to them when you scroll though your Z-Crystal list for ones they can't use.

I assumed so too, but I only found out after equipping one accidentally. It might be an oversight, since there isn't any point in holding the item.

So I just reached the Hall of Fame for the first time in Alpha Sapphire.

The credits are really lovely.

They reminded me of Earthbound in that you get standstills of key moments in the story, and the game actually took into account which Pokemon of yours took down the opponent's final Pokemon (and whether they Mega Evolved or not), or which Pokemon was leading your party in case it's not remembering a battle.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Serebii said:
The Pokémon Company has put out a new note clarifying how the currently missing Mega Stones are going to be distributed. In the note, it explains that the Mega Stones will come through two means
First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.
Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period
The method will vary depending on the Mega Stone and they intend to go through these methods until Summer. As always, we'll bring full details on the Mega Stone distributions as they come.
Well that's something at least.

First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.
This confuses me slightly. Does this mean all players at the competition get them or that players not in the competition will get them eventually.

Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period
This is nice. It seems that, at the very least, we'll get some of the missing megas.

This confuses me slightly. Does this mean all players at the competition get them or that players not in the competition will get them eventually.

This is nice. It seems that, at the very least, we'll get some of the missing megas.
It means we'll get all of the missing Mega Stones eventually. For some, like with Mawilite and Beedrillite, will be given as prizes for participating in certain online competitions a month or so before everyone gets the code for these stones. Others will just be given right away. It's a bit better than we initially feared, but I'd still rather they were all available in-game from the get-go. Game Freak and The Pokemon Company still have HA Johto beasts, Heatran, (I think) and now Alola starters they could distribute for interesting events. (not to mention all the shiny locked legendary Pokemon and UB if they really wanted to. Shiny Zygarde still isn't a thing, for example)

It means we'll get all of the missing Mega Stones eventually. For some, like with Mawilite and Beedrillite, will be given as prizes for participating in certain online competitions a month or so before everyone gets the code for these stones. Others will just be given right away. It's a bit better than we initially feared, but I'd still rather they were all available in-game from the get-go. Game Freak and The Pokemon Company still have HA Johto beasts, Heatran, (I think) and now Alola starters they could distribute for interesting events. (not to mention all the shiny locked legendary Pokemon and UB if they really wanted to. Shiny Zygarde still isn't a thing, for example)
Not to mention there's a few HA Alola Pokémon that haven't been released yet, like Passimian.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Speaking of Mega Stones....

I just found out that if you move an item to the free space pocket in your bag, and then later give it to a Pokemon to hold, it'll automatically be placed back in free space if you take the item back from the Pokemon.

As someone who's using free space as my pseudo-Mega stone pocket, it's nice not having to move them back manually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)