#littlecup Cups

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ello there~

Tired of waiting for endless hours on the LC Ladder only to find that you're fighting some Brazilian troll with wurmple, caterpie and magikrap? Then you're in luck! As you may know, many of the top LCers visit our IRC channel, #littlecup. Well, starting today, we will be holding small 4-8 man tournaments out of #littlecup, in the spirit of #stark cups and the Smogon Tour. We will keep track of points here, and at the end of each week a winner will be named for that week. Every few weeks, the #littlecup cup metagame will change, meaning some Pokemon will be banned and others freed. The rotating banlist will serve to “shake things up a bit” and let us see what other Little Cups might look like!

You can use the thread to discuss the current standings, or the current #lcc metagame if you’d like

Period 3 Metagame:
Carvanha, Choice Scarf, Eviolite, Focus Sash, Gligar, Life Orb, Meditite, Oran Berry, and Stealth Rock are banned

There are no other differences from normal Little Cup this week.

perod 1: yanma, murkrow unbanned; frillish, meditite, midreavus, eviolite banned

Period 2 Metagame:
The moves Fake Out, Hi-Jump Kick and Drain Punch are banned
The move Sonicboom is freed
The Pokemon Scraggy and Chinchou are banned

Users who are allowed to start LCCs:
Vader
Aerrow
Heysup
Dubulous
Crux
Elevator Music
Nails
Zeph
iss

Users who are not allowed to participate in LCCs:

Users who may grant LCC-starting privileges (pm one of these guys about obtaining them):
Vader
heysup
emma
cruxus maxiimus

Standings:
6/03: Elevator Music won a 4Man Tourney
6/05: masterful won a 4Man Tourney

5/23: Elevator Music won a 4man Tourney
5/24: Comatthew6 won a 4man tourney
5/25: Vader won a 4man tourney
5/26 Fatty won a 6 man tourney
5/28: Nails won a 4man tourney
5/29: PKGaming won a 6man tourney
5/29: Heysup won a 4man Tourney
5/29: Fatty won a 4man Tourney
5/29: Crux won a 4man Tourney
5/29: Crux won a 4man Tourney
5/29: PKGaming won a 4man Tourney
5/29: Heysup won a 4man Tourney
5/29: iss won a 4Man Tourney
5/30: Elevator Music won a 4Man tourney
5/30: PKGaming won a 4Man Tourney
5/30: Nails won a 4Man Tourney
5/31: fatty won a 4 man lcc
6/01: Heysup won a 8-man tournament (Nails Runner Up)

PKGaming - 4
Fatty - 4
Heysup - 4
Nails - 3
Elevator Music - 3
Crux - 2
Comatthew6 - 1
Vader - 1
Iss - 1
masterful - 1

Post results in this format IN THE THREAD:

Date (eg 5/29): X won a 4/8Man Tourney (runner up(if 8man))

Holy crap. Yanma+no eviolite. This is gonna be fun! I personally love the idea of a #littlecup sponsored tourney, as we #lcers tend to play each other a majority of the time regardless, seeing as the ladder is so often dead

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stop posting dumb, contentless crap. If you want to post itt, discuss the meta! Otherwise, I'm going to infract you.

Personally, I've been finding Scarf Gastly to be a fuckin boss again! In fact, I'm back to running three scarfers, and I don't feel like I'm being dumb at all. Vanha is also even better than he normally is, which is saying a lot. Aqua Jet those Yanmas! Speaking of which,

Yanma is definitely broken lol. Murkrow is really good and I would probably prefer the game without it, but I don't really think it's broken. You just need to have ways to deal with it. Yanma, on the other hand, is insanely fast and powerful. The only consistent checks I've seen are Ferrothorn, who is p much garbage in this meta, and Munchlax, who doesn't really like dealing with Fighters. I haven't seen Timbur yet, but I'm certain that he's superb in this metagame. He may not be able to hit Gligar, but HP Ice off of 10 SpA kills Gligar, so Gligar's taken a drop in power. Additionally, Timbur does a serious number on Murkrow with Mach Punch and is generally a strong Pokemon. Machop also has a cool niche thanks to Ice Punch.

I use Diglett in normal Gen5 and I use it here and I've gotta say, I'm loving it. Without Eviolite boosting everything to 900 million defense, its Earthquake is really strong and dents basically anything. The trapping is great for guys like Chinchou and Pursuit always takes pesky Gastly by surprise. I've actually dropped Sucker Punch for Pursuit, but am considering putting it back just to deal with that pest Yanma.

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with how this meta is turning out, and I look forward to seeing others' thoughts on it!

edit: carvanha is broken bs

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Speaking of Timburr, I definitely have to agree. It's a great pairing for Yanma as it easily beats Lax and Ferro and provides a much needed rock resistance. On top of that, it easily checks some of the most common Mons in the meta such as Scraggy, RP Aron and Carvanha.

Also, I won a tourney started by Crux / EM on the same day that another tourney was held, so idk if it counts or not. Clarification?

Sorry about my last post - it won't happen again.

Anyways, I am absolutely loving the new eviolite-less meta. It feels like a nice sojourn back to the dpp days where offense ruled the day and only someone like eo would ever think of using stall.

Agreeing with Vader by saying that yanma is broken as fuck. With a timid nature it hits like 18 spa and 19 spe or something and gets speed boost, which makes it like a faster and slightly stronger special carvanha. And speaking of carvanha, I also like using it on my team for a great physical sweeper that actually covers some of yanma's weaknesses. Since frilly and Missy are also gone Gastly has once again become the premier ghost a la dpp. What I'm wondering is the fact that Duskull hasn't risen in popularity, but I guess it makes sense with all the HO running rampant. RP Aron is once again a premier threat to the meta as em can tell you so vw croagunk or timburr or scarf gligar is almost a necessity so you don't get your ass swept. I'm pretty sure that aqua jet doesn't KO Aron either

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Who uses sturdy aron? It just makes it so you can't spam head smash.

Anyways, I'm seeing a strikingly similar pattern between BW UU teams and lcc teams. Many teams resemble the stealth rocker + spin blocker + pursuit user + powerful sr weak sweeper outline. I believe this is entirely due to the whole metagame being centered around 2 scary powerful sr weak Mons in Krow and Yanma, kind of like Kyurem and Victini in UU. Basically, this is an attempt to win the entry hazard war, as often times whoever wins that ultimately comes out victorious. Also, as expected, I'm seeing substantially more priority than I do in standard lc.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I guess you didn't receive my message.

A LCC was hosted by me at 2:30 AM on 5/28 in the timezone [GMT +5.5]
It was won by Nails. It was a 4 man tournament

I think it was E_M who I saw using this, but he ran Mental Herb Dwebble for the guaranteed Stealth Rocks. I think it's very interesting that even when you give something like Yanma a far less bulky environment to crush everything in,there are always options to limit its dominance.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
#littlecup Cup
Hosted by badalcristiano at 12:30 AM [GMT+5.5]

Round 1:
Elevator Music vs PK Gaming
Tobes vs Nails
Lamppost vs Badal

Round 2:

PK Gaming vs Tobes
Badal vs PK Gaming
Tobes vs Badal
PK GAMING WON!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
carvanha is broken bs
I'm definitely agreeing with Vader on this point. Carvahna is like Blaziken on drugs it has very little counters as is and speed boost jist pushes it over the edge. Lileep is the best counter and even then I don't think it likes taking crunches. (Croagunk is only strong check and it can't even switch in because HP fire smashes it.)

The ideal set imo is Hydro Pump / Crunch / HP Fire / Protect. I know some people use the physical varient but the mixed set is way better. Hydro Pump obliterates everything in LC due to its high base power. Protect prevents you from being checked by just about anything faster and once Carvahna gets going you can't stop it. It resists common priority (Sucker Punch, can protect Fake Out, Mach Punch is seen on 1 pokemon who cannot switch in) so the only way you can take it out is via a lileep or pray that your pokemon are in peak condition. I mean I understand that LC is different from the other metas, you can't "counter" everything but damn you could just check just about everything with a scarfer (Scarf Axew is awesome btw) but Speed Boost just ruins that. IMO Carvahna is broken for just about the same reasons why Yanma is broken. Speed Boost + Incredible power.

The lack of evolite users is also a problem.

Alright I PM'd these to Vader before but it hasnt been updated in yet so Vader if you see this dont bother updating them hehe.

May 25th: fatty won a 4-man tournament
May 27th: heysup won a 4-man tournament

That is all.

Reminder: Everyone post all of your results (even the ones that are updated already) in the thread so I can accurately update the thread to the proper numbers.

Tired of waiting for endless hours on the LC Ladder only to find that you're fighting some Brazilian troll with wurmple, caterpie and magikrap?
WTF THIS IS RACISM AGAINST THE BRAZILIANS I AM BRAZILIAN AND I'M GOOD AT LC

anyways, this seems cool, I need to test it

5/30: Elevator Music won a 4Man Tourney.

Echoing sentiments that Carvanha is ridiculous in this metagame. Without Eviolite it OHKOes almost all of the sweepers in this metagame. I know PK and others prefer the mixed set (I do too, in standard), but I find the physical Protect/Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Crunch set to be just as effective, maybe even moreso. Priority is a little redundant but it helps Carvanha to avoid other priority while being a good check to weakened Yanma and the like. Even with just 80 Base power, both Crunch and Waterfall hit hard off of 19 Attack and Life Orb.

EDIT: 5/30: PKGaming won a 4Man Tourney.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
5/30: Elevator Music won a 4Man Tourney.

Echoing sentiments that Carvanha is ridiculous in this metagame. Without Eviolite it OHKOes almost all of the sweepers in this metagame. I know PK and others prefer the mixed set (I do too, in standard), but I find the physical Protect/Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Crunch set to be just as effective, maybe even moreso. Priority is a little redundant but it helps Carvanha to avoid other priority while being a good check to weakened Yanma and the like. Even with just 80 Base power, both Crunch and Waterfall hit hard off of 19 Attack and Life Orb.
Yeah, when it can 2HKO Scraggy through Oran, it's broken.

Also no fair EM won another tourney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)