Live Long & Prosper

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With the new Star Trek series just months away, I find myself extremely nostalgic for the other five shows, and I've recently finished rewatching all of them. They say the new Star Trek show will be like Game of Thrones as opposed to episodic (a large overlapping plot as opposed to standalone one-hour shows). What do the fans think about that? This gives me hope that we'll get that darker feel that came out during the Dominion War arc of DS9 which I think was a very successful moment in the series as a whole.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some fun stuff on the horizon for those that are waiting for the new Star Trek series.

[10:10:45] +King♥UU: netflix just released a Spock documentary
[10:10:55] +King♥UU: (for those that are star trek fans)
[10:10:57] +King♥UU: https://www.netflix.com/watch/80115102?trackId=14170035&tctx=0%2C2%2C8d4b94c3-4f59-45a3-a438-a604cffebb34-189455572

And, for those that are interested, there's this great website that does reviews on episodes listed here: www.sfdebris.com

Anyway, are you excited for the show? Any newcomers that may engage the show for the first time? Anyone think we're hopeless nerds that deserve to be shamed? Share your thoughts n_n

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The pilot for the new show has been out about a week now, so I've finally checked it out.

My expectations weren't that high, so I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but it didn't impress me that much. But by the end of the pilot, everything has already changed. So who knows, maybe when the plot gets going it'll get better.

I like Doug Jones as Saru, he is a nice character. He's the Spock/Data of this show for sure, but is still unique. He's not purely logical like them, he gets to be a coward and care, that's a nice twist.

I don't think they made Michael very sympathetic so far, which is kind of unfortunate for a main character. Having her raised by Sarek and be the only human to ever attend the Vulcan Science Academy seems borderline Mary Sue-ish. I'll give the show props that being a human raised Vulcan does give her a lot of internal conflict. They could've easily just gone the "she gets the best of both worlds" route but they didn't.

However, she still seems pretty unlikable to me. In just the pilot, she's already committed mutiny against her captain and basically is the cause for this entire war lol... her condescension and Vulcan-speak are pretty insufferable too (I will say, that scene when she has a logical argument with the computer and wins was pretty genius though. It's never been done before, and computers are purely logical, so why not? Pretty smart writing.). I get that even in-universe, these actions are pretty unjustifiable and she's arrested at the end, but as the focal character it does make it hard to sympathize. Especially with how sympathetic Michelle Yeoh's character was. She did a great job in this. Leading up to this, everyone I knew was telling me how great Michelle Yeoh was and how excited they were that she was going to be in this. This was my first time ever seeing her in anything and I was really impressed. People also predicted that she would probably die in the pilot, because the show couldn't afford her. After seeing her listed as "Special Guest Star" in the opening credits, I laughed because yeah, that was pretty much certain.

Klingons seem interesting. I just really hope that they don't become analogous to any real-world group or be portrayed as just completely evil. I feel like Star Trek has always been above having super obvious direct allegories to things. Subtlety is nice, especially with the fact that in the future, the Klingons and the Federation will be allied. Having the sympathetic albino guy put in place to be the main Klingon character was interesting, I really did think T'Kuvma was going to be the main villain for the show. And the fact that Michael is pretty racist towards Klingons for that incident in her past is nice too in order to make them more sympathetic.

Even though the pilot kinda disappointed me I'm still excited for this show. From the teaser at the end of Episode 2, I feel like things will kick up and they can take their time with stuff after rushing through all the premise in two episodes.

I'm glad Doug Jones as Saru will become a main character and Jason Isaacs is the new captain. I love him, he's awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)