Project LIVE OU Teambuilding Workshops | next workshop: ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by AM
hosted by OU room staff & friends
formatting shamelessly stolen from Disjunction
banner by pokemonomekop :]

Main idea:
We (the OU room staff) will be hosting LIVE monthly teambuilding workshops in the OU Workshop room on PS!. These workshops are simply guided teambuilding exercises where we will work as a community to build around a certain core (sometimes for a certain playstyle). The goal here is to sort of teach by example; by building together live, we can show how we approach certain situations when building, how we handle certain threats, how we incorporate key aspects of teambuilding, how we try to maximize the efficiency of the build, and more. Please note: the teams are being built in 1-2 hours, so they aren't gonna be perfect. The main point of these workshops is to show the building processes... NOT build and give a free team. Just like with (almost) every team, these will have to be tested to find more weaknesses and ways to deal with said weaknesses. For the most part, these workshops are geared towards beginner to intermediate level players, but higher level players are also encouraged to participate!

Please note: the teams are being built in 1-2 hours, so they aren't gonna be perfect. The main point of these workshops is to show the building processes... NOT build and give a free team. Just like with (almost) every team, these will have to be tested to find more weaknesses and ways to deal with said weaknesses.

How it works:
Modchat + will be on to start, but it'll be turned off periodically so those participating can... participate. We want you guys to ask questions, give suggestions, and just plain build! Before we turn modchat off, we'll pose a question or a potential Pokemon for the team for you guys to comment on. Don't worry, modchat will be off for the majority of these workshops. It's just way to difficult to try and keep the chat SUPER on topic while also hosting one of these, so turning modchat on and off periodically helps things flow smoothly.

Please feel free to suggest a Pokemon or a core (2-3 Pokemon) for us to build around! Make sure you include sets, and don't suggest anything too absurd. These are mostly geared towards beginners and intermediates, so we want something that's at least a little standard. The hosts will pick a handful of suggestions and put them in a strawpoll so those participating can vote on what we build around. Obviously not every suggestion will be in this strawpoll, so don't feel bad if yours wasn't picked! n_n

Where and when will this happen?:
As previously stated, these workshops will be hosted by a few OU staff members in the OU Workshop room. This room is hidden, but it can be accessed by clicking the above link, clicking the "Join OU Workshop!" button in the OU room's roomintro, or by simply typing "/join ouworkshop" in the PS! chat. PS! is much more accessible than IRC, and we have our own room for this, meaning we will be able to easily keep everything in check.

As of right now, we're gonna host these once a month. We will try to post a date and a strawpoll for what we're building around a week before the workshop. Please keep in mind: some of us have lives. If something comes up, or we're low on hosts for whatever reason, these may get pushed back a day or two.

Additional info:
Currently, we host these workshops 2-3 times every 2 weeks or so. These are usually announced in OU room ~12-24 hours before they'll start, so if you're an OU room regular, be on the look out for those! As time goes on, we'll try to approach some people about guest hosting, but for now it's just OU staff. If you have any questions about this project, feel free to PM or VM me. :toast:

Last edited:
for the next one maybe this core? (offense)
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

for the next one maybe this core? (offense)
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
Okay just gonna use you as an example since you're the first one but...

If you're recommending a core please say what the core does and why you're recommending it. Treat it as if you're posting in the good cores thread. Thank you :]

Also on that core we've actually made a team built around a similar one in a previous workshop so I wouldn't count on us using that one. Sorry :[

Alright, I'll be very interested in helping/participating when/if I can.

From what I see mostly balance teams have been built so far. I'd be interested to see something that takes a more direct approach to winning, maybe around sweeper + magnezone, this is a rather simple concept to use but much trickier to build around than one might think, and as such should be a good practice for beginner-ish builders. Could be like GyaraZone, AltZone (which is like one of the strongrst and most mindless oras cores), ExcaZone, Dragspam or whatever else.

I lo
Alright, I'll be very interested in helping/participating when/if I can.

From what I see mostly balance teams have been built so far. I'd be interested to see something that takes a more direct approach to winning, maybe around sweeper + magnezone, this is a rather simple concept to use but much trickier to build around than one might think, and as such should be a good practice for beginner-ish builders. Could be like GyaraZone, AltZone (which is like one of the strongrst and most mindless oras cores), ExcaZone, Dragspam or whatever else.
What do you exactly mean more direct ''approach to winning'', every time I've participated in few workshops all they/we try to do is making a competitive team with good winning rate, x 'sweeper and a magnezone isn't exactly a core unless your using zone to trap steels for your certain sweeper but I've seen them do such teams already.

I lo

What do you exactly mean more direct ''approach to winning'', every time I've participated in few workshops all they/we try to do is making a competitive team with good winning rate, x 'sweeper and a magnezone isn't exactly a core unless your using zone to trap steels for your certain sweeper but I've seen them do such teams already.
I just meant a more offensive team, chillax n_n

I just meant a more offensive team, chillax n_n
I'am ''chillax'' -.-, I'm just saying what you said didn't make sense and you still don't lol, when you say a ''more offensive team'' pretty sure they've made offensive teams as well maybe you just catch the workshops at bad times perhaps.

I'am ''chillax'' -.-, I'm just saying what you said didn't make sense and you still don't lol, when you say a ''more offensive team'' pretty sure they've made offensive teams as well maybe you just catch the workshops at bad times perhaps.
I based my post off the link m00ns put to like 4 teams in the OP, aren't these the squads you guys made ? Might have gotten it wrong

update: we're gonna aim for hosting one next weekend (between 9/25 and 9/27). once i can guarantee that we're hosting it, i'll post the time & extra details n_n

for now, please post some cores you'd like the workshop to be centered around! when posting your core, please make sure you provide a bit of information / explanation on it. we'll make a strawpoll of the cores and have everyone participating vote right before the workshop actually starts. because we want this to be somewhat of a learning process, please don't post super "innovative" cores. we accept and encourage cores that aren't super standard, but we really don't want anything too wonky.

Trying making offense or bulky offense out of dis shit :P
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
Talonflame helps shit on stuff like mega venusaur,ferrothorn,conk,sp.def jirachi while being able to check mega lopunnny with priority Brave bird since manaphy and raikou r slower than it. It also can set up on mega sableye since it can't touch it besides foul play. Raikou was aded since with AV it can take hits from other opposing raikous,mega manectric, thundurus. It also takes status like para which can cripple both talonflame and manaphy. Raikou helps check mons like gchomp and lando-t which talonflame struggle with and keep mons like keldeo and manaphy from becoming threatening if they set up. Raikou also helps stop the lati twins to an extent. Finally manaphy was added since I couldn't handle T-tar,hippowdon, heatran well. I have ice beam to help cover lati twins and mega alt since they both can take hp ice from av raikou well. Energy ball was added since the team fairly struggles with Rotom-W. HP Fire is for stuff like ferro and scizor in case talonflame dies. This team appreciates hazard removers like skarmory or excadrill.

Last edited:
I think it'd be cool to see a team with this core I posted in the good cores thread, since I'm kind of a shit builder:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Entei @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Original core and explanation here, I'm too lazy to rewrite it :P
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores-check-post-714.3524713/page-53#post-6419392

Hello,

The OU Workshop is a really cool place for the community to work together and build some teams, so it's nice to see this thread pop-up!

Personally a large fan of fast and strong pokemon, I would like to see a different style and what the OU Workshop can do with some powerful but slower sets.
+

These two pokemon can hit pretty hard, Azu from the get-go and Reuniclus after a Calm Mind or two are set-up, and can be challenging for teams to deal with. Reuniclus can set-up on a lot of checks to Azumarill such as: Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, and can also deal with Mega-Lopunny, Chansey, and Mega-Manectric. With these 'Mons out of the way or weakened, Azumarill has a much easier time of denting the opponents team which is what this set is made to do!

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard / Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball

Edit: Switched things around.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SPECIAL BURDSPAM GOGOGO:

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt

The idea behind this core is very similar to normal birdspam in that they wear down the opposing team's flying resists and try to overwhelm them, especially if they don't have recovery. Torn is running superpower because it makes the core not completely walled by chansey which it would be otherwise, and it hits Heatran/Excadrill/Ttar which are all commonly used as flying type checks. Heat Wave On Mega Pidgeot kills Ferrothorn/Skarm/Mega Sciz which wall Torn pretty damn well. This core is quite weak to faster attackers that can hit flying types super effectively like Weavile and Mega Manectric. As a result, spdef Excadrill could offer some roll compression in being a mon that beats weavile 1v1 (although you need an additional Weavile Check since drill cant switch in, and drill beats every relevant electric type 1v1 100% of the time bar Mega Manectric, who loses if Exca doesn't have an attack drop while providing some much needed hazard control for the core. Rhyperior can also provide a solid rocker that takes 40% from icicle crash coming off of weavile while taking any hit an electric type can throw at him bar a gk/fb from thundy.

I might as well just leave this core i just posted in oras good cores haha. Not sure if i can but eh

Gardevoir-Mega + Feraligatr Offensive Core

Theres just something about gatr that just makes it such a cool and fun mon to use. As a DD mon hes the only one to get Sheer force and his coverage allows him to beat Quite a few things save the part that he has a bit of 4mss. I decided to Pair him up with a mega gard because of how she struggles to break Things such as sp.def Skarm, Talon and jirachi which thanks to gatr having Crunch+priority aqua jet and a very powerful stab waterfall hes capable of pretty much breaking everything that walls Gardivoir. In return gard can soften up things thanks to a very powerful hyper voice which allows gatr to get those kills much quicker. Taunt helps with breaking stall also which is nice. Garde also beats mega sableye,quagsire etc for gatr which is really cool. As for good teamates for this core nasty plot Hp flying thundurus-I makes for a great partner as this core struggles to break mega venu while beating bulky water types for gatr. Rocky garchomp also makes for a great partner as it annoys talonflame which can revenge kill the core if gatr is missing aqua jet, of course a more offensive set can also be run to weaken things like clef for gatr. Scarf heatran is another great partner as he can take care of mega scizor,ferrothorn and other fire weak pokemon. Finally pokemon with u-turn and volt switch work well with this core as they can get mega gardevoir in safe.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch / Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Im lazy sue me.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Here's a fun offensive core to try out.

Grass Knot Thundy + Zard X

+

Thundy is the perfect partner for zard x, as it's literally able to get rid of everything that checks it (Hippowdon, Mega Slowbro, Quagsire). This core aims to eliminate Zard X's checks in order for it to sweep. Thunder Wave on Thundy also helps as it's able to cripple something, allowing Zard X to have an easier time setting up. Thunderwave also helps cripple faster threats including Mega Lopunny and Mega Alakazam, both of which are difficult to take down if Charizard can't setup. Thundy gets checked by Raikou, and Zard X is able to wall Raikou, and it's able to abuse it as setup fodder.

Good Partners: This core requires a hazard remover (Starmie, Latios and Latias are good ones since they also counter Keldeo and become a burn absorber (Reflect Type Starmie), and a ground type such as Diggersby or Dugtrio can be really helpful, since mons like Heatran can still be a bit difficult to KO immediately. Weavile can also be a handy ally, since it's able to open up HP Ice on Thundurus for another move such as Focus Blast or Nasty Plot. Some mons that are still difficult to KO are Mega Venusaur and Chansey, as either one can some in, forces Thundy out, and Zard X fails to 1HKO them while taking massive recoil damage itself. For those reasons, Torn-T also works as a good partner as Knock Off + Hurricane can cripple Chansey and defeat Mega Venusaur.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 84 HP / 172 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)