Let's Play! Live-Streaming / Twitch Thread

Introduction:

Hello everyone! Recently I've been having issues with getting myself to complete my various Pokemon playthroughs. The biggest draw for me is sharing my experiences with others, but I've found that writing up updates or editing together videos takes too long, and that G+ hangouts have an annoying problem with your microphone getting muted when you're trying to play the game which are invite only (microphone problem is fixed now!)

Well I've come up with a solution to this problem; live-streaming! A live stream eliminates the need for large amounts of post editing and allows all the audience interaction I've come to enjoy from Google+ hangouts. Pokemon makes a great game for streaming; it's not so action packed and concentration intensive that the streamer won't be able to interact with the audience, requires little bandwidth to stream and makes for great audience interaction due to all the decisions that are made over the course of a playthrough. I'm hoping you will join me both in my own streams and maybe even start some of your own!

I'm using a Twitch account to stream my own stuff. It's free and pretty easy to use. For your streaming software I recommend X-Split OBS (X-split free sucks) as it's also free and easy to use (at the most basic level anyway). I encourage you to both follow my own account and maybe set up an account of your own to stream yourself. I'll use this topic to keep track of everyone's streaming accounts and people can post announcements, schedules etc. here so we can all keep track of each other's streams.

So with that, happy streaming everyone! I hope to see you on Twitch soon!

http://www.twitch.tv/jimera0

Every Friday at 5pm EST time I do an in-game stream. Currently I'm playing a challenge run of Pokemon Yellow I like to call the "No free health care challenge". Basically, Pokemon Centers (and other usually free heals) cost me a LOT of money in the form of discarded Pokeballs. Full rules for the challenge can be found here or in the channel details on my twitch channel. I have a roster of co-commentators that keep the stream lively; TheMantyke (Roarke), DHR (David, but don't call him that), Seraphinu (Alex), SuperJOCKE, Kadew, Karxrida, and others. We tend to talk a lot about random stuff not related to what's going on the game unless something interesting is going on.

In addition to my Friday stream, I try to stream other stuff throughout the week. I'm trying to Showdown streams pretty regularly now that I've started doing the "Learning with Jim" show on Smogon's official twitch channel. I also stream Hearthstone regularly, but that's not particularly relevant in this part of the forum :P. Other games get streamed occasionally too.

... I'll also try to keep this up to date from now on, this is the first time I've edited this post in 8 months. Oops :P I suck at keeping things up to date. around 4 and a half months this time.

Last edited:
I'd be all for a revamped Jimera program! It'd be great to see an accessible outlet for community interactions, and this would be easy to cater to almost everyone interested, even if you only do one stream a week. I didn't watch up to the last few installments of your Emerald play through (I think I accidentally stopped after Dewford Town, so I wouldn't know what your team is like now), but I wouldn't tell you to start a new game just for me. Unless other fans got really attached to your team, or something else that you had going on in your current play through, I say just do it to be symbolic of your make-over (pardon the phrasing).
The skype conversations could be fun for being like an even looser version of a smog cast between you and any willing members. I'd offer myself up, since I've always got something to say, but I guess you need enough support first before you start letting people apply for days to join your live streams.
As for days and times I'd be free to watch, I always have Fridays to myself and Saturday afternoons, and I'm in Central time, so my 6pm is your 7pm. besides the end of the week, literally any evening until 2am is also super.

You have my support ^_^

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just posted to say I will tune in when I can :)

I think it would be a good idea to start a new one instead of continuing the current challenge. Like you said, most people don't know about the old challenge and they'd more likely be interested in something they can follow from the beginning. I know I would. :D

Can't stream very well / at all under my current internet situation, but when I get back to my glorious college internet, I would love to stream.

You all better get ready to head back to goldenrod for your enemy and look for that bike shop because I'mma provide some of those glitchtastic corruption streams when I can!

Also, echoing what Jimera has said regarding setting up streams / google+. Xsplit is an amazingly simple program that allows a monkey like me to stream at the click of a button. Google+ hangouts are also a complete riot and you guys ought to join them when you can!

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll watch if you can get DHR to talk during the streams. Might be best to just start with something new and not your emerald scramble.

Alright, from the people I've asked so far it seems like Friday afternoon (say around 4-7 EDT) is a good time for my stream so, I think I'll have this upcoming Friday as the date for my first stream. I'll come up with a more specific time to start closer to the date once I ask around a bit more. If a lot of people suddenly pop up saying they can't do Friday we'll see if there isn't a better day too.

EDIT: I've decided on 5:00 PM EST for my stream on Friday. I'll be streaming for at least 2 hours so make sure you pop in even if you have to join a little late!

Last edited:
Alright the stream went more or less according to plan. Well the streaming aspects did anyway, the gameplay itself was an absolute train wreck XD.

But people seemed to like that train wreck so I don't think anyone cared that much :P

Anyway, next week instead of attempting to glitch Pokemon Yellow more, I think it would be best if I got an actual pokemon playthrough going.

So my question to you is, what type of playthrough should I do? Nuzlocke, Scramble, Gauntlet, Speedrun (so you can all watch me fail again!) or something entirely different? Post your suggestions here! Unless a lot of people want a scramble (which requires a bit time to set up) I'll actually decide during next week's stream (Friday at 5:00PM EST again), with the input from the people there helping to get us decided.

So I'll see you guys all next week for some more fun! And probably more screwing up on my part because, well, I'm me right?

Okay folks, let's get glitchy.

I will be streaming Pokemon Corruptions later tonight at 9:00pm EST at http://www.twitch.tv/themantyke. No, Pokemon Corruption isn't the name of some game, it's the act of corrupting a Pokemon game. I will be performing the virtual equivalent of tilting a cartridge and exploring whatever horrific, creep pasta enducing worlds we come across. Join me as we travel through a strange world of ungodly sprites, animations, and glitches!

Ah damn, sorry I ended up missing that Mantyke, I would've loved to have attended that had I known about it, but my cousin is at my place this weekend and I haven't seen her in 6 years, so I haven't been on at all except after everyone else goes to bed. I hope you do another one sometime, I always love those corruptions!

Also, still looking for suggestions as to which game and which type of playthrough I should do for my next stream from people. Post here with any suggestions you got, I still might not be able to get on IRC or anything for a day or so more.

Also, still looking for suggestions as to which game and which type of playthrough I should do for my next stream from people. Post here with any suggestions you got, I still might not be able to get on IRC or anything for a day or so more.
I believe 'showing off glitches where you get it right the first time' was a pretty good suggestion from the other day.
Being serious, you should probably do something that won't result in being too 'grindy' (unless it's gen 5, coz you've got Audino.) But honestly I liked that gen 1 stuff because I am completely unfamiliar with it, so perhaps a gauntlet challenge on a gen 1 game? (I have no idea how grind heavy gauntlets can get though.)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Let's be real, it doesn't matter what game you're playing if you get @DHR-107 to co-commentate.

That's how I made my stream interesting.
It would of been better if your own commentary was also working... :P I might get a twitch up and running and try doing something like this too, I still need to finish off that Black randomizer with the crazy legendary team :3

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Yeah I'll probably try this too at some point, I just will have to do my streams kinda early bc I'm british. :(

Also sorry for not being there rn Jimera, I'm on holiday :p

But you all miss me dearly so i don't mind )

Jimera, your streams are hysterical. Besides Hula and DHR building on top of each other's rotten attitudes (which was charming in it's own way), what got accomplished was fun to be a part of. I'll make sure I have the time set aside from now on to watch the entire stream each week! :3

Today's stream was loads of fun! Even though a stream focused on a diamond nuzlocke descended into more of a google hangout, I was enjoying every second of it, even with my mike away from my face and my mouth sounding like it was half numb.

So, for anyone interested in my corruption streams, what day next week would you like to see another one? I'm unavailable likely until Sunday evening (and that's the evening of worlds), so any other time up to next Sunday would be swell. I think I'll even pull out a few alternate saves this time around so we can explore the corrupted worlds outside of the game's beginning! Let's hope we get an experience on par with the sheer "what the fuck" factor of fighting Archie as our first battle from last time.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Jimera, your streams are hysterical. Besides Hula and DHR building on top of each other's rotten attitudes (which was charming in it's own way), what got accomplished was fun to be a part of. I'll make sure I have the time set aside from now on to watch the entire stream each week! :3
I don't really get this whole Rotten Attitude thing comes from... Me and @Hulavuta poke fun at each other all the time... It's nothing new.

Otherwise it was a lot of fun and thankyou to @Jimera0 to inviting me to join in with the hilarity. We did semi get side tracked with the Pokemon Merge thingy, but that was simply hysterical as it always is anyway! :D How far did you end up getting btw?

Sorry guys, managed to get myself obsessed with watching Avatar the Last Airbender and also my library book over past few days. I hope I haven't missed too much. I got to Jublife City in my Diamond Nuzlocke and got my Pokemon from the surrounding 2 (accessible) routes (those Pokemon being another Starly and missing out on a Budew because I forgot to buy more Pokeballs).

I'm up for Mantyke's stream pretty much whenever. My schedule has virtually no restrictions on it at this point of time (though that will likely change in the coming months).

OH and I will be streaming again on Friday at 5pm EST. It's worked great as a time so far so I'm going to make it the "official" time for my stream.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, just gonna drop a heads-up that I won't be able to make it on Friday, since I'm going camping for the weekend. Hope to catch ya next week though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)