Lockdown (Now Playable!)

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Permanent Terrain = Gogoat's time to shine.
In all seriousness though, this meta sounds amazing. I am really looking forward to all the weather teams and Trick Room teams. Will Mega Steelix and Giglaith be used on Sand Trick Room teams (not saying its good, just thinking out loud)? What about Mega Garchomp, will it see a rise in usage? How will stall deal without status in the case of Misty Terrain? Trick Room Rampardos and Marowak anyone? I really hope this gets coded soon because I can't wait to play it.
I think this metagame will give overlooked pokemon their chance to shine. They may not be able to deal that much damage, but I doubt that will be the main worry at the beginning of the battle. You want to set up as much as you can first, then wait for the lockdown, and then attack.

One poke that is interesting is Charizard--Y. You want to waste a turn getting up misty terrain? Gone. It also controls weather. Curious if kyurem-black will get banned, seeing as it is op / banned in almost every other metagame.
I seriously doubt Kyurem-B will be broken. It may not have to worry about hazards so much, but it doesn't gain anything that would make it especially threatening that I can think of. It's too fast to use Trick Room, no weather is particularly helpful to it barring Hail which is mediocre, it will enjoy the status immunity of Misty Terrain but then so will everything else.

uh Water / Mud sport might be useful, but imo, it won't be one of the most common strategies used. It could work, but I don't think it would be the no.1 strategy people will use. Same for Mist - it could be useful, but it won't be very common.

In my own opinion, the commonly used moves (in order of how good they'll be) will be:
  • traps {leech seed, spikes, toxic spikes, stealth rocks} especially on Turn 6, before the game goes into "lockdown" mode, to deal damage to the opponent upon entrance.
  • Status moves {will status inflictions be able to be removed? If I burn the opponent on turn 6, will they stay burnt, or can they use Heal Bell to remove it?} to cripple the opponent.
  • Sunny Day / Hail / other weather-inducing moves, to increase the power of certain moves, and to activate certain abilities that will be rather helpful.
  • Trick Room, to allow slower but bulkier Pokemon to move first.
  • Screens / Tailwind, to reduce damage taken throughout the whole game / increase the speed of all Pokemon throughout the whole game.
  • Terrain moves, to prevent status.
Screens and Tailwind aren't permanent. Status conditions aren't permanent either, so they can be cured with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy the same as normal.

Something just occured to me. Manaphy with either Rain or Misty Terrain support...run!

I seriously doubt Kyurem-B will be broken. It may not have to worry about hazards so much, but it doesn't gain anything that would make it especially threatening that I can think of. It's too fast to use Trick Room, no weather is particularly helpful to it barring Hail which is mediocre, it will enjoy the status immunity of Misty Terrain but then so will everything else.

Screens and Tailwind aren't permanent. Status conditions aren't permanent either, so they can be cured with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy the same as normal.

Something just occured to me. Manaphy with either Rain or Misty Terrain support...run!
Yes, Kyurem-B will enjoy the status immunity, but it will NOT enjoy the Dragon power drop caused by Misty Terrain.

Good thing Screens aren't permanent. It'd be broken if it is.

Manaphy don't need Misty Terrain support in Rain because of Hydration, though it'd be nice because it'll be useful.

Actually, in Rain, Manaphy can recover to full HP with Rest and instantly heal with Hydration. Can it be the same in Misty Terrain?

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
I assumed it wouldn't get banned, my point was that it is banned in every meta. But all in all, seems like a good meta.

Rest fails if used under Misty or Electric Terrain, so Misty Terrain could also be used to counter bulky boosters that use Rest like CroCune.

Serperior is looking interesting, as in addition to being able to set up Grassy Terrain (most viable user of that move IMO) it also has a super fast Taunt and can set up Sun as well.

Updating the OP to include some threatening Pokémon

Last edited:
This seems like quite an interesting meta. This has been mentioned before, but I anticipate Trick Room offense (Trick Room in general, really) to be a very viable playstyle here since its short duration, the main thing stopping it from being useful in standard Singles, is a non-issue now. Trick Room also counters users of Chlorophyll, Swift Swim, Sand Rush, etc. to an extent which is nice because weather also looks good here.

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
A really cool strategy that I can see being used is Gravity in conjunction with sand and/or spikes and webs, if you could get sand and gravity setup, you could spam sand force boosted EQs and kill everything with the immunity gone

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For clarity, you should also put in the OP that after Turn 6, switching in grounded Poison-types doesn't remove Toxic Spikes.

Anyway, this is possibly the best early-game support set for weather teams with an automatic weather inducer, such as Politoed or TTar:

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Trick Room
- U-turn

If you're running Sun, Rain, or Sand, you can't afford to have Trick Room up, so Trick Room is there to cancel out a Trick Room that's been set up and is most optimally used on Turn 5. Then, on Turn 6, you get a slow U-turn into your weather inducer, and thus your opponent has no way of removing your weather. Taunt and Encore are pretty obvious for this meta, and you want to force an opposing Trick Room user out by Turn 5 with them so that the field can be both devoid of Trick Room and with your weather permanently. Although, if you're in a situation where you have to choose between negating your opponent's Trick Room and setting up your weather, you should negate their Trick Room because if you're in a Trick Room-less, weather-less field, all of your Pokemon should be faster than your opponent anyway because your opponent has a Trick Room team.

Thanks for the catch, will make the changes.
For clarity, you should also put in the OP that after Turn 6, switching in grounded Poison-types doesn't remove Toxic Spikes.

Anyway, this is possibly the best early-game support set for weather teams with an automatic weather inducer, such as Politoed or TTar:

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Trick Room
- U-turn

If you're running Sun, Rain, or Sand, you can't afford to have Trick Room up, so Trick Room is there to cancel out a Trick Room that's been set up and is most optimally used on Turn 5. Then, on Turn 6, you get a slow U-turn into your weather inducer, and thus your opponent has no way of removing your weather. Taunt and Encore are pretty obvious for this meta, and you want to force an opposing Trick Room user out by Turn 5 with them so that the field can be both devoid of Trick Room and with your weather permanently. Although, if you're in a situation where you have to choose between negating your opponent's Trick Room and setting up your weather, you should negate their Trick Room because if you're in a Trick Room-less, weather-less field, all of your Pokemon should be faster than your opponent anyway because your opponent has a Trick Room team.
Why would you run Lagging Tail? Why not Focus Sash, or Mental Herb?

Calm Mind Slowbro with Misty Terrain support. Status immunity, immune to crits, the ultimate bulky sweeper.

Last edited:
presumably to out-slow other Trick Room users so as to have a better shot to cancel out their Trick Room
Lagging tail just makes the Pokemon go last in its priority bracket. Whimsicott's trick room would be at +1 priority relative to any other user's, so it would still outspeed

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Thanks for the catch, will make the changes.

Calm Mind Slowbro with Misty Terrain support. Status immunity, immune to crits, the ultimate bulky sweeper.
Lagging tail gives the slow U-turn.
presumably to out-slow other Trick Room users so as to have a better shot to cancel out their Trick Room
Prankster makes this somewhat moot, it also doesn't matter who uses TR first - only the number of times (odd=TR stays, even=TR goes)

When I read this OM submission, for some reason I assumed that you wouldn't be able to switch out as well when in lockdown. I realized now that that is not the case. I think it should be as it fits the premise of this OM. VoltTurn would still switch you out though. Thoughts?

Lagging tail just makes the Pokemon go last in its priority bracket. Whimsicott's trick room would be at +1 priority relative to any other user's, so it would still outspeed
Prankster raises the moves priority by +1, so Trick Room would have a priority of -6 when used by a Pokémon with Prankster

When I read this OM submission, for some reason I assumed that you wouldn't be able to switch out as well when in lockdown. I realized now that that is not the case. I think it should be as it fits the premise of this OM. VoltTurn would still switch you out though. Thoughts?
Really, what gave you that impression? I'd prefer not, switching is an integral part of Pokémon battles and I don't want this meta to be too complicated.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If it's currently Turn 6, Trick Room is not up, and the opposing Pokemon is not a Trick Room user, Whimsicott should U-turn. Lagging Tail causes Whimsicott to U-turn out after the opponent has used a move. Therefore, if you're running a Politoed, for example, and your opponent uses the move Sandstorm on Turn 6 (or switches out to a Tyranitar, etc.), then Whimsicott U-turns out after the opponent moves, Politoed is sent in, and then Turn 6 ends, causing the battle to be permanent Rain.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
This sounds so much fun. Grassy/Misty/Electric Terrains never get any viable use, and TR is pretty much restricted to doubles. Excited to play new things, especially terrains with whimiscott prankster nature power! Speaking of whimsicott, it should be one of the most versatile mons, as it can be useful for it nature power, or prankster fun.

You're better off with using Safeguard instead of Misty Terrain unless you want to weaken Dragons, or use Nature Power (Moonblast).

Misty Terrain also makes your grounded opponents immune to status. Safeguard doesn't.
Misty Terrain only affects your grounded Pokemon. Safeguard affects your whole team.

I think Mud/Water Sport are balanced enough to be included in the "permanent" effects.
It might give things like Mega Blastoise and more Bug and Grass-types room to maneuver.

Although there are some potentially unwanted side effects...
Like giving pure Water-types (Suicune and Manaphy) a single Grass-type weakness.

Mud Sport and Electric Terrain almost (Mud Sport wins by a small margin) much cancel each other out. Mud Sport can't be removed though.
Water Sport and Sun as well.

Safeguard is not permanent for exactly those reasons. Misty Terrain has opportunity cost (makes grounded opponents immune to status) and poorer distribution.

Triple Post yay!

megaqwer:D and I created a couple of teams and did a test run - an offensive Sandstorm team, and a bulky Misty Terrain team. Here's the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-337290554 . We had to improvise - we made an agreement that neither of us would spin/Defog past Turn 7, and if Misty Terrain was up neither of us would use moves like Thunder Wave on grounded Pokémon. Mega forgot that, but luckily Sleep Powder missed so no harm done.

What I can gather so far:

Hazards are extremely effective. I was thinking of unbanning Deoxys-D, but I'm so glad I didn't!

Mega Slowbro on Misty Terrain teams is damn near unbreakable after a couple of Calm Minds. Misty Terrain, formerly a near useless gimmick, is incredibly powerful here.

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
it was fun making those teams with you in the first place :) and secondly, yes i think slowbro mega is really unbreakable and also I cant crit you with shadow ball or giga drain due to shell armor

I hoped that match to be boring but it turned out to be a very good one
Lets hope to get it coded by someone soon

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Misty Terrain also basically invalidates dragon STAB when used against grounded Pokemon (halves the damage dealt to grounded opponents, basically making it useless), so that's also a thing to consider beyond simply stopping status. Its gonna be hard to properly experiment with the terrains before this is coded, because there are additional effects that need to be taken into consideration. Grassy Terrain in particular due to it basically being an additional Leftovers for all grounded 'mons.

Reactions: Mq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)