Locked Up - OM Monthly Ladder Challenge

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Tbh as has already been mentioned, I struggle massively with the setup sweepers in this meta, particularly DD Brave Bird Gyarados and SS Espeon, I can kind of work around Espeon by adding Knock Off to a load of stuff, but Gyarados really gives me trouble.

Apart from these two, I can handle most stuff pretty well, I've been using a team of Arcanine / Tangrowth / Gastrodon / Cobalion / Gliscor / Weavile and while I'm not that thrilled with weavile, the rest of the team works really nicely, I'm especially impressed with Cobalion, I run a fast bulky set with enough attack to KO Kyurem-B after Rocks with CC and it checks a lot of big threats, such as DD Kyube unless it runs Earth Power for some strange reason, Diggersby and Zangoose are handled well too.

Tbh as has already been mentioned, I struggle massively with the setup sweepers in this meta, particularly DD Brave Bird Gyarados and SS Espeon, I can kind of work around Espeon by adding Knock Off to a load of stuff, but Gyarados really gives me trouble.

Apart from these two, I can handle most stuff pretty well, I've been using a team of Arcanine / Tangrowth / Gastrodon / Cobalion / Gliscor / Weavile and while I'm not that thrilled with weavile, the rest of the team works really nicely, I'm especially impressed with Cobalion, I run a fast bulky set with enough attack to KO Kyurem-B after Rocks with CC and it checks a lot of big threats, such as DD Kyube unless it runs Earth Power for some strange reason, Diggersby and Zangoose are handled well too.
Great minds think alike since I'm running the same team except I have a Regi and a Crawdaunt instead of Arcanine and Weavile.

I think Rotom-W could be a pretty good counter to that Gyarados set. It resists both Crabhammer and Brave bird and it can Will-o-Wisp / Volt Switch it. As for Espeon, I just spam Sucker Punch and hope for the best.

Freeroamer

yeah I just added rotom-w over gastro and it really patched that weakness, and i put megadoom over weavile, which was working really well for a time, but now my main gripe is togekiss lol, i added knock off to gliscor and tangrowth so if espeon wants to set up, it can't do it for free. For Toge, I really don't see anything in the list other than maybe rotom-h and cress being able to handle it, and I havent actually calced cress yet, so that one is gonna take some thinking.

Edit: oh and possibly klefki depending if toge is running fire/ground coverage, idk

Luckily for me I haven't seen Togekiss at all. But in your case, can't you spam Fake Out + Ice Shard with Weavile? (It's the only way you can KO it if it's at full since LO Ice Shard does 81 - 96% at -1.) You'd need to sack something, but it's better than being swept.

Togekiss will be using Geomancy, not shell smash, so weavile isn't going to revenge.

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 103-123 (33.1 - 39.5%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 207-244 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This works most of the time, but take into account that without toxic orb activated:

252+ Atk Zangoose Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 69-82 (22.1 - 26.3%) -- 12.4% chance to 4HKO

You can also use Liepard for it's prankster topsy turvy, but:

-2 252+ SpA Togekiss Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Liepard: 282-332 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

If you are lacking Rotom-H, you are going to find this hard to check. And even then, make sure it's a specially defensive set and there aren't any rocks, because:

+2 252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H: 124-147 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

EV

Banned deucer.
We're halfway through the month. How are our contestants stacking up?
  1. Oh My Lordylord - 1290
  2. OML Don't Mind Me - 1215
  3. OML PMD - 1199
  4. rip ;; No one else is in the top 500
Feel free to screenshot your ranking so we can see how you improve from today until the 31st.

Anyway, you may be wondering what that banner is doing up above. Well, in order to inject some new blood into the ladder challenge, 1 more Pokemon per type is joining the list in the OP. Meet your new usable teammates!

Make sure to spread the word so other OML challengers know they can use these Pokemon now. Have fun!

Braviary and Metagross are probably the most interesting of the new pokemon being that Braviary can become the new priority abuser(loves not dying) and Metagross was already pretty good with Shift Gear, Gear Grind, and King's Shield and really outclasses all the other steels except Bisharp.

Edit: also, lol, both the water and psychic type additions are water/psychic(from genwun too for more similarities)

Last edited:

Freeroamer

Oooo second #MustCatchChuun

Shaymin as a better Tangrowth and a status absorber? will have to run some calcs

So after you released these new pokemon, I basically played a few matches, and...
randoaew.png

Went up 50 points (?) and I can say that Salamence is a beast.
Still a long way to go from Pikachuun, but eh, I'm getting there I guess.

I really need to know though chuun, how do you win games with these pieces of trash? Out of the ten I've played so far, I've only managed to scrape 5 wins out and all of which because I wasn't facing the greatest opposition exactly and there was almost no knowledge of what any of the things on my team did. How'd you do it?

Last edited:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I really need to know though chuun, how do you win games with these pieces of trash? Out of the ten I've played so far, I've only managed to scrape 5 wins out and all of which because I wasn't facing the greatest opposition exactly and there was almost no knowledge of what any of the things on my team did. How'd you do it?
To be honest, I don't know myself. Heck, I'm better with this team compared to my actual one!

EV

Banned deucer.
I probably should have waited until tomorrow to post the new challenge. Regardless, do NOT start your matches until 11/1! You may sign-up now, however. Remember to start over each month with a fresh alt that has OML in its name.

Pikachuun

The October Locked Up ladder challenge is officially over! Here are the results:

1. Oh My Lordylord (Pikachuun ) - 1342
  2. OML Darkglade (Darkglade ) - 1325
  3. OML Zewwok (Zewwok ) - 1293
  4. OML ellipse (Ellipse ) - 1258
  5. OML Don't Mind Me (DM35 ) - 1207
  6. OML PMD (PokemonMasterDebater ) - 1199
Congratulations Pikachuun! I will update the OP soon and post the next challenge for November! Stay tuned!
Only 2 more to go before I get double room-voice!

Pikachuun

in again, OML2 DM35

Pikachuun would you mind sharing the team you used? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it :)
Okay.
THE NEW FRIEND (Tangrowth) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed

ALL THESE STAIRS (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 192 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Bonemerang

THE SQUIRELT (Zangoose) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat or Milk Drink
- Knock Off

SWEET BRO (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer

HELA JEFF (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind or Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

NANCHO PARTY (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Eruption
- Blue Flare
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Also, in as Oranges My Lady

Last edited:
SWEET BRO (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer

HELA JEFF (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind or Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
Damn right.

The October Locked Up ladder challenge is officially over! Here are the results:

1. Oh My Lordylord (Pikachuun ) - 1342
  2. OML Darkglade (Darkglade ) - 1325
  3. OML Zewwok (Zewwok ) - 1293
  4. OML ellipse (Ellipse ) - 1258
  5. OML Don't Mind Me (DM35 ) - 1207
  6. OML PMD (PokemonMasterDebater ) - 1199
Congratulations Pikachuun! I will update the OP soon and post the next challenge for November! Stay tuned!
Darn, I was so close but I didn't have time to ladder yesterday (I love having 3 tests on Friday -_-).
Oh well, congrats Pikachuun and here's my team if anyone is interested.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch
- Oblivion Wing

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Trick

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Dark Void
- Parting Shot
- Memento

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Crabhammer
- Diamond Storm
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Facade
- Close Combat

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Glare
- Rapid Spin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)