1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Logo Poll

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Tangerine, Apr 29, 2009.

?

Which Logo?

1. Logo 1

120 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. Logo 2

67 vote(s)
    35.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Logo 1

[​IMG]

Logo 2

[​IMG]

Poll will be closed when there's an obvious winner. If it's close, i'll decide with a coin flip.
  2. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Logo 2, easy. The first one is simultaneously too damn big and the "koffing" for the o looks terrible.
  3. Tangerine

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Too big is a bad reason since... it's meant to be shrunk >_>
  4. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

you want your logo as simple and elegant as possible so that it doesn't detract any attention from the articles themselves.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Very difficult decision for me, I voted fore stellar though.

ps SDS that koffing is badass
  6. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I dont like the second one at all. The lettering is all over the place, and even if it wasnt, it would probably still look messy. The paint splatter is cheesey and also I am confused what its relevance is.

I think for the second one the skull and crossbones is too large and it makes it look weird, but otherwise it is what it ought to be without any unnescessary distractions.

Sorry stellar, but I really hope we go with the first one.

Have a nice day.
  7. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I hope no one is voting based on who made the logo, and I also hope that neither of the artists take anything personally when this is said and done!

That said, I really like Stellar's based on a design standpoint.
  8. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Voted for the first one. It just comes across as cleaner and easier to read.
  9. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

There's a reason I made it as an svg that can be shrunk or expanded >_>; Size shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I'm a little torn. I think both logos fit different media. I'd say Logo 1 is better for a print or pdf mag whereas Logo 2 might be better for the mockup that Sarenji put out.
  10. Cathy

Cathy

I like the simplicity of the first one.
  11. Tangerine

okay at this point it's way too close so i'm going to let the public vote :P
  12. Veedrock

Veedrock

Cool. Logo 1 is simple, clean, professional. Logo 2 is very unappealing; my initial impression was "ew."
  13. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Forum Moderatordefeated the Smogon Frontier

Second Logo seems way too good to pass it lol
  14. foibles

foibles

the first one is just too great. A possible bevel/drop shadow might make it look better, but it's fine how it is.

The other thing is that the logo selection should wait until after the first edition in my opinion. We want to know what the magazine actually looks like so that we can vote on a fitting logo.
  15. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

A logo is meant to be simple and effective, and logo 1 fits that bill.
  16. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Logo 1, it's nice, clean, and simple.
  17. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

This one is obvious to me. The Smog is meant to be taken seriously; the logo should reflect that. I find it difficult to associate Logo 2 with something serious.
  18. SunshineCat

SunshineCat

I'm with Logo 1. It's simple and plain and seems to fit with Smogon's 'competitive' theme more, as CardsOfTheHeart said 'more serious'.

And 2nd Logo looks a little messy and I see no reason for the splatters which just make the logo look messy. All the details and everything don't look as good for a logo to me.
  19. iKitsune

iKitsune

I like them both, but as has been already said the first looks more professional which is a better reflection on Smogon and THE SMOG.
  20. Fuzznip

Fuzznip Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

First one.

It's clean and simple.

The second one seems to messy and unprofessional with the random splats on the letters and the Koffing in general.
  21. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I went with logo 1 because it's simple and effective. I like the splatter effect in the logo 2, but the letters are too messy.
  22. vashta

vashta "It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I really like both logos, however, the first appealed more to me... maybe it was its simplicity that won me over.
  23. sasami

sasami

Logo 1. It's neater and simpler.
  24. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Voted logo one for it is much simpler, and is more effective to me.
  25. Wes

Wes

Logo 1 is a bit better, just because of the simplicity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)