Look at the Little Phione...

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/489.shtml

This Pokeyman's been pretty much ignored, basically tagged as "Manaphy with worse stats, and no Tail Glow, Heart Swap or Energy Ball," but I believe it could be a powerful force in underused.

Notable Physical Movepool
U-Turn
Waterfall

Pretty Pitiful, but you're not really going to use it much.

Notable Special Movepool
Surf
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Hidden Power

Sadly, he's missing Manaphy's Shadow and Energy Balls which would really help it against the Bulky Psychics in UU with the former, itself and Lanturn with the latter. However, he's still got the majority of the special movepool that Manaphy uses anyways.

Notable Support Options
Aqua Ring
Rest
Rain Dance
Charm
Protect
Substitute
Psych Up

Some pretty powerful options, most notably the RainRest combo that Manaphy has.

Possible Sets

Hydration Rest
Phione@Wet Rock/Leftovers
Rain Dance
Rest
Surf
Ice Beam/Grass Knot/HP Grass/HP Bug

The same set that Manaphy uses in OU, except dumbed down to his level. HP Grass is for the aforementioned Lanturn and other Phione, while HP Bug hits the inevitable Abomasnow/Grumpig/Hypno switchin supereffective.

The main thing that Phione has to compete with is Dewgong, who arguably pulls off the Hydration+Rest thing better, with a better Special Defense and HP and acess to Signal Beam and better physical options, but suffers with worse speed and a stealth rock weakness. Overall, while nowhere near as devasting as his older brother, Phione's a real threat to the new D/P OU

Phione is Manaphy with Down Syndrome. Manaphy outclasses it in every way. I guess he could be OK in UU. but in standard, leave RainRest to Manaphy.

I saw some talk about Manaphy going into Uber. Do you think Phione can manage to make it to BL or even OU if Manaphy goes Uber?

The first time I saw Phione, all I could think was "Wow, Nintendo actually went of their way to make a specific UU version of a pokemon..."

But I agree, Phione could become a beast in the UU tier.

I saw some talk about Manaphy going into Uber. Do you think Phione can manage to make it to BL or even OU if Manaphy goes Uber?
No. it is destined to be a beast in UU. it'll be a little Manaphy, (which is what it is. lol). RainRest will be what it does best.

Phione is Manaphy with Down Syndrome. Manaphy outclasses it in every way. I guess he could be OK in UU. but in standard, leave RainRest to Manaphy.
Don't jump to conclusions - there are ways that Phione could actually beat out Manaphy. For instance, a Trick Room team might have more use for Phione than Manaphy. Also, it's actually possible to breed Phione for a particular Hidden Power, which really isn't possible with Manaphy. Of course, Manaphy outclasses Phione in almost every way, but then, what do you expect, given that Phione is a child pokemon?

Dragontamer-no, it doesn't get hit harder. It's only like 3 pounds heavier, and IIRC, grass knot's power increases with every 20 kilos (which is about 44lbs or something). Grass knot is still base 20.

I actually think this is a useless pokemon. It's outclassed by manaphy in every way, and it doesn't do anything to help manaphy (unlike happiny to blissey with charm), and IMO, manaphy is cuter than phione, and phione doesn't even appear in a movie. OK, that was just a random drabble, but w/e.

I think you're missing the point though - nobody's expecting a Pokemon like Phione to compete with Manaphy. Phione just can't, his real competition is Dewgong, since they're more similar as underused Hydration Rest users. Mainly, Phione is faster and stronger than Dewgong, but not as tough. Dewgong has a wider physical movepool and Signal Beam for its special options, but Phione has Grass Knot and U-Turn. I think Phione's main advantage is he lacks Dewgong's secondary Ice type, that weakens him to Rock and Fight, while giving neutrality to Fire.

Talk about reviving an old thread......

If we are going with 4th gen UU/NU, shouldn't Dewgong be used? It does all of this same stuff better. And even with Gen 5 taken into consideration, Dewgong could still play the same roll better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)