Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
This is the second time I have heard this. I can't find anything about it, so if you could post a link confirming that this has been confirmed (lol), that would be appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.serebii.net/xy/megaevolutions.shtml
A brand new feature of the Pokémon X & Y games are Mega Evolutions. These are special features of Pokémon, different to evolutions and forms, that have your Pokémon Mega Evolve in battle into these appearances. Their abilities, stats and sometimes even types are different. To get a Pokémon to Mega Evolve, they need to be holding a special Mega Stone item unique to their species. To get your Pokémon to Mega Evolve, you can select a button when picking the move and then select a move. The Pokémon will both evolve and attack in that turn. You may only have one Mega Evolution in a battle.

So I was looking at this video:
Skip 2 minutes in, and you can see Mega Mewtwo OHKO a Chandelure with Psystrike. I did some damage calcs assuming both were free of EV's and IV's, and normal Mewtwo would have 2HKO'd that Chandelure. I then figured out Mewtwo's minimum base SAtk to guarantee the OHKO on that Chandlure:
http://prntscr.com/1m74v8
Just a little something to think about.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Skip 2 minutes in, and you can see Mega Mewtwo OHKO a Chandelure with Psystrike. I did some damage calcs assuming both were free of EV's and IV's, and normal Mewtwo would have 2HKO'd that Chandelure. I then figured out Mewtwo's minimum base SAtk to guarantee the OHKO on that Chandlure:
There's always that possibility of Mewtwo being positive natured and invested, but still, it's obvious the Mega Mewtwo is probably going to have outrageous SpA.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But it's unlikely that the Mewtwo in question had 0 SAtk investment. In fact, I would hazard a guess that it was 252 with 31 IVs and a neutral nature.

Actually...wow I just did some of my own calcs, and even with 252 and 31 IVs, Mewtwo would only have a 25% chance to OHKO without Life Orb with BASE 180 SPECIAL ATTACK. It seems like he will be getting a major power boost. This could be pretty insane...

But it's unlikely that the Mewtwo in question had 0 SAtk investment. In fact, I would hazard a guess that it was 252 with 31 IVs and a neutral nature.

Actually...wow I just did some of my own calcs, and even with 252 and 31 IVs, Mewtwo would only have a 25% chance to OHKO without Life Orb with BASE 180 SPECIAL ATTACK. It seems like he will be getting a major power boost. This could be pretty insane...
It's a Pokemon you just recieved, I'm pretty positive it at least has no EV's. I also calculated for the guaranteed OHKO, both to be on the safe side and to just give an idea of how powerful this Mewtwo could be.

There's always that possibility of Mewtwo being positive natured and invested, but still, it's obvious the Mega Mewtwo is probably going to have outrageous SpA.
Very true, although it is still clearly much more powerful. Imagine if the opposite is true and that was a fully defensive Chandelure! O.O

Wow, thanks for this. I feel like out of all of the MegaPokemon, Mewtwo will be the most powerful, but obviously least relevant, for OU at least (have fun in Ubers). But this could also be used as a benchmark of discussion of just how much they intend to power-up these pokemon with MegaEvolutions. If/when we get actual stats to work with, we'll have a better idea, but this is an important point, and I'm happy you've brought it up.

EDIT:
It's a Pokemon you just recieved, I'm pretty positive it at least has no EV's. I also calculated for the guaranteed OHKO, both to be on the safe side and to just give an idea of how powerful this Mewtwo could be.
This is also very important. We're looking at potential 200 SpAtk. Holy shit.

Ok, so if this is, in fact, correctly worded...then yes...the mindgames...this means that you can have multiple Pokemon on your team that could MEvo, multiple holding their respective MegaStones, but once one MEvos then the others are restricted from doing so...snatch or knockoff or any other similar attack that removes the MegaStones from these Pokemon becomes less potent if you have another possible MegaPoke waiting in your team but allows embargo's possible effectiveness to increase (if it indeed works as we expect). You are also potentially wasting another Pokemon's ability to hold another item in the case that it is not the Pokemon you decide to MEvo.

BUT! If Lucario turns out better than MegaLucario or Blaziken to MegaBlaziken, then you could fake your opponent out by having them think you are going to MEvo it, when you are really going to your Mawile to MEvo...it works vice versa: MEvo Blaziken, and relegate Mawile to Baton Pass duties...this may be an even bigger game changer...

Last edited:
Yup
I just want to add that I think MegaLucario is the only pokemon that could be potentially worse than its normal form, as every other pokemon is getting such huge boosts it's worth the item change, and we haven't even seen the stats yet.

Yup
I just want to add that I think MegaLucario is the only pokemon that could be potentially worse than its normal form, as every other pokemon is getting such huge boosts it's worth the item change, and we haven't even seen the stats yet.
Of course. I simply mentioned Mawile and MegaBlaziken for their possible synergy in a BPass team whilst recognizing the general mechanics of two or more Pokemon with the potential to MEvo on the same team. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree...some Pokemon, such as MegaLucario, it seems are likely not worth the item loss...but to each Pokemon his own viability (Mawile+MegaBlaziken, or MegaMawile alone). We'll just have to see who else does and does not get MEvos.

Ill agree this is quite scary. One thing though: are you sure the attack didn't crit by any chance?

On another note, since we know that MegaEvos have to be done manually, it means that some Pokes can't use their MegaEvo advantages when switching in the first time. Some that are notable are Absol and Ampharos. Absol can't bounce effects when he comes in, which is actually a bit huge since because your opponent will know about this and successfully get any effect off, such as Stealth Rocks. Ampharos can't utilize his Dragon typing on the first switch in, which might hurt his ability to tank.

Another small thing to note is that each MegaPoke has to get one attack off in order to MegaEvo. If a Poke is constantly forced to switch out (be it from your opponent's momentum moves such as U-Turn/Volt Switch), then they might never get to MegaEvo to utilize their increased stats. This situation is rare, of course, but it's still a possibility and something to take note of.

And I know this was mentioned already, but I for one am definitely scared of Mawile having Intimidate before it MegaEvos.

Ill agree this is quite scary. One thing though: are you sure the attack didn't crit by any chance?
Yup. No crit. There would have been two lines of text, one to state it was a crit, and one to say the Chandelure fainted. I don't read Japanese, but I can further confirm this through looking up Chandelure's Japanese name - シャンデラ. If you look in the line of text when Chandelure faints, you can see it's Japanese name, confirming it is just the classic "Foe Chandelure fainted!", and not the message for a crit.

On another note, since we know that MegaEvos have to be done manually, it means that some Pokes can't use their MegaEvo advantages when switching in the first time. Some that are notable are Absol and Ampharos. Absol can't bounce effects when he comes in, which is actually a bit huge since because your opponent will know about this and successfully get any effect off, such as Stealth Rocks. Ampharos can't utilize his Dragon typing on the first switch in, which might hurt his ability to tank.

Another small thing to note is that each MegaPoke has to get one attack off in order to MegaEvo. If a Poke is constantly forced to switch out (be it from your opponent's momentum moves such as U-Turn/Volt Switch), then they might never get to MegaEvo to utilize their increased stats. This situation is rare, of course, but it's still a possibility and something to take note of.
In the case of Absol (and possibly others), it's assuming you don't lead with him...because I don't see any reason not too...there really is no surprise factor there (with Absol) and people will know his purpose. You get him to MEvo and attack with his increased base speed and atk...then switch. (Better yet, U-Turn/Volt Switch or even BPass if you do not want to use some of these MegaPokemon immediately.)

But your point stands nonetheless deterred.

This also depends on the priority of MEvo, whether it is simply the first thing to occur, or whether the opponent is faster, then you MEvo before your attack.

EDIT: However, a speed tie (Crobat and Mewtwo both have 130 Base Speed) is impossible to determine from the Demo considering you apparently can't not MEvo Mewtwo... @1:12

Last edited:
http://prntscr.com/1na9cs

Well, sure, Mega Mewtwo might have 200 Base SpA, but regular Mewtwo can OHKO Chandelure without investiment as well. Unless I'm missing something.
The Mewtwo you listed has full IV's and a positive nature, while the Chandelure has no IV's and a decreasing nature. This is an unlikely, best case scenario for Mewtwo. For my clacs, I leveled the playing field to estimate. You similarly could have made this an optimal situation for Chandelure, and Mewtwo would have needed more SAtk than just 200. I think th fact that people are getting shinies in the demos means that at least their own Pokemon are pretty random. Such an advantageous situation for Mewtwo is highly unlikely.

While EVERYBODY mentions IVs and EVs when calculating, has anybody considered GameFreak changing the formula a bit? This might actually compensate for the nominal increase in SpA everybody expects

While EVERYBODY mentions IVs and EVs when calculating, has anybody considered GameFreak changing the formula a bit? This might actually compensate for the nominal increase in SpA everybody expects
Well I can't say this hasn't crossed my mind, but I think that the fact that GameFreak is "working" on compatibility is proof enough that they won't change anything. Gen 2 Pokemon could not be transferred to Gen 3, and they used that as an excuse to change the system. They are at least working on making this not be the case between Gens 5 and 6, which shows me that they're not going to mess with the current EV/IV system, since Pokemon from previous generations would not be compatible.

Well I can't say this hasn't crossed my mind, but I think that the fact that GameFreak is "working" on compatibility is proof enough that they won't change anything. Gen 2 Pokemon could not be transferred to Gen 3, and they used that as an excuse to change the system. They are at least working on making this not be the case between Gens 5 and 6, which shows me that they're not going to mess with the current EV/IV system, since Pokemon from previous generations would not be compatible.
I had thought about this. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve, it means we probably won't see Hidden Power Fairy.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I had thought about this. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve, it means we probably won't see Hidden Power Fairy.
I don't see this being an option to be honest. I'm pretty sure GF will make a HP Fairy, it just wouldn't make sense if they didn't.

Last edited:
They are at least working on making this not be the case between Gens 5 and 6, which shows me that they're not going to mess with the current EV/IV system, since Pokemon from previous generations would not be compatible.
Point, unless GameFreak is able to convert old EV IV values to new EV IV Values during transfer...

They could just change the combinations of IVs that correspond to each hidden power, although that is a great point to bring up.

Just to facilitate discussion, I'd like to point out that many of the pokemon shown so far have had HP correlating with 31 IV, 0 EV investment. Not sure how that applies to the other stats but just something to note.

As far as the MegaKen goes, I'm not so sure it will outdo normal Blaziken. It would need pretty high attack to match the power of LO Ken at this point, though it does have natural Speed Boost and access to Baton Pass to potentially make up for that. We'll see.

F*ck Mega Evos, use CAP pokemon instead!!! Jk, but I'm pretty sure MegaEvo's are not going to be OP. Gamefreak actually has been pretty decent in not making things hugely broken, ie., giving Politoad Drizzle and not Keldeo. MegaMewtwo will likely have lowered bulk or speed. But if Gamefreak trolls us and gives us Deoxys-A 2.0...

Hi all!

I'm all for the mega but in the vids your poke comes out in normal form. So in competitive play if your double switched or switch on a damage attack your already wasting that one turn you need to attack. And also do we know if the speed of your attack is calculated before the poke transforms or after you use the attack plus the mega evo button?!

Hi all!

I'm all for the mega but in the vids your poke comes out in normal form. So in competitive play if your double switched or switch on a damage attack your already wasting that one turn you need to attack. And also do we know if the speed of your attack is calculated before the poke transforms or after you use the attack plus the mega evo button?!
You kinda asked the same question in two different ways, and it was mentioned last page (specifically by me), but, again, it is not possible to tell from any information we've been given or gathered for ourselves to this point, because the only Pokemon that can MEvo (Mewtwo) in a Demo is faster than the rest of Professor Sycamore's Pokemon bar Crobat (speed tie), and you can't NOT MEvo it (in the Demo). I'm not a mod, but there are only 5 pages right now, so you could at least read the most recent before you post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)