Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It seems too situational to warrant a moveslot, at least on Scizor. It's not fast enough to take advantage of it. Otherwise, in what situation would it be worth giving up U-Turn or Bug Bite? Everything that I've seen so far that learns Fel Stinger also learns SD so it's not as if they absolutely need it.

All those who have played the game.......... can you please tell of all the megaevolutions 1) Which is the best? 2) Which is the worst? 3) How many of these are likely to be Uber and how many OU?

serebii.net has a list of evos, we don't know whose good and whose bad, and megablaziken and megagengar seem to be the most likely candidates for ubers (and the obvious megamewtwos)

Plus, playing the ingame is no substitute for a competitive battle. Saying a pokemon is good ingame is like saying the metagame is going to shift in an upcoming generation change - of course it is, we all know that.

On that subject, though, it is interesting to note that a lot of the "weak" pokemon this generation are decidedly less weak than usual. Maybe it's a side effect of only having about 30 fully evolved pokemon, but things like Diggersby, Vivillon, and Talonflame are getting serious looks at where their predecessors did not.

So I've been using Slurpuff ingame, and I am astounded by its move pool. Thunderbolt, Surf, Energy Ball, Wish, probably a strong Fairy STAB… I really hope it's fast enough to use these.

While on the topic of "weak" Pokemon this gen has anyone given Malamar any thought? It was the Pokemon I was most excited about before the release of the game and subsequently the one I was most disappointed by.
I wouldn't expect it to see use in OU (provided it doesn't have some absurd way to abuse contrary) but in lower tiers it seems like it could see some play between it's few weaknesses and taking advantage of superpower+contrary.

I used Malamar in my ingame playthrough and absolutely loved it. Superpower + physical STABs really wrecked everything.

I think its viability depends on its egg moves, though. If it gets any other things to abuse of Contrary, or some kind of Recovery, I could see it having a niche in OU. I do expect it to be great in Doubles, though.

Though it's too early in X/Y's lifespan to say how the metagame will stabilize in the future, it looks like Game Freak made a very good conscious effort to balance out the extremely offensive and heavily centralized playstyles of Generation V.

- Weather, which was easily the most defining aspect of B/W, was heavily nerfed; this alone could control the incredibly powerful weather offense that made stall teams incredibly difficult to maintain.
- Though there were more powerful threats added in the form of Mega Evolutions, only having one of them per team and not allowing them to have items somewhat balances them out. (And it seems like many of these were designed to be legendary/Uber status anyway, so being overpowered may have been the entire point.)
- Fairy-types were added to neuter the threatening Dragon- and Fighting-types running amok. Both adding new Pokemon with this typing and readjusting the typings of existing Pokemon has made quite a number of Pokemon viable.
- The small number of new Pokemon, abilities, and moves seems to have been geared more specifically toward countering or checking a lot of the overpowered threats from Gen V, both offensively and defensively, without completely flipping the existing metagame upside-down.
- Changes in the game mechanics, such as sleep reverting to pre-Gen IV mechanics and having some types immune to certain statuses, also bring some balance to weaker types. For example, the defensively poor Grass-typing has become slightly better in being immune to a lot of common status moves.
- It seems like many of the new Pokemon that have been added are neither too overpowered nor too underwhelming; there are good discussions going on!
- Small but perhaps significant downward adjustments in many existing moves such as reducing the base powers of the elemental attacks (Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, etc.) and allowing for some offensive holes in Substitute, arguably one of the best moves in the game, have buffed defensive styles enough without completely dooming offensive styles.

Hats off to Game Freak for at least attempting to make Generation VI both fun for the casual player and balanced for the competitive gamer. Who knows where it'll end up, but it looks like it'll be a lot more diverse than what Generation V turned out to be.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Check out this post. Confirms that Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is a possible egg move combo on Azumarill, meaning that female parents can pass egg moves too. So, all the Egg move combos are available. This is huge news!!! Spikes + Sleep Powder + Leaf Storm Roserade is available, one of the Pokemon that was incredibly hurt by the egg move combo limitations. I am sure that there are other notable move combos that will make huge difference on other Pokemon, but i can't remember any now so i will let you find some more... Basically, you no longer need to be in the Egg group to have access to all of your egg moves simultaneously.

Last edited:
Check out this post. Confirms that Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is a possible egg move combo on Azumarill, meaning that female parents can pass egg moves too. So, all the Egg move combos are available. This is huge news!!! Spikes + Sleep Powder + Leaf Storm Roserade is available, one of the Pokemon that was incredibly hurt by the egg move combo limitations. I am sure that there are other notable move combos that will make huge difference on other Pokemon, but i can't remember any now so i will let you find some more... Basically, you no longer need to be in the Egg group to have access to all of your egg moves simultaneously.
Uh... Brave Bird/Hypnosis Crobat available in lower tiers/for 454 play! That's actually kind of cool, although Hypnosis's cruddy accuracy isn't helping.

I'm beginning to feel there there isn't any real downside to running multiple Fairy type pokemon. Can you even call being weak to Steel and Poison, the least used offensive move typings, a weakness? I won't be too surprised if I find myself running a team with all MMawile/FlorgesorGardevoir/Azumarill/Togekiss for the first few weeks.

They are CURRENTLY the least used types. Don't underestimate what type chart changes will do. Besides, Steel types will have a field day over Fairy regardless, and there are a LOT of Steel types. (Metagross and Scizor don't even have to change anything to slaughter!)

I'm beginning to feel there there isn't any real downside to running multiple Fairy type pokemon. Can you even call being weak to Steel and Poison, the least used offensive move typings, a weakness? I won't be too surprised if I find myself running a team with all MMawile/FlorgesorGardevoir/Azumarill/Togekiss for the first few weeks.
What you call "no downsides", Scizor calls "easy prey".

Which, in turn, will make Steel-types more common.
So we're back to gen 4-5 type dominance, except with fairies instead of dragons.
i dunno if we start following this logic you could apply it to a lot of things
steel comes out to stop fairies, so more ground types are brought in so more water types are brought in therefore--

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There's some Fairies with a neutrality to Steel, such as Klefki and Azumarill, as well as the fact that many usable Fairies have access to Fire type moves (Clefable, Togekiss). I wouldn't simplify them that easily.

Please don't touch Blissey, game freak, if they make it less specially defensive or something I will cry. You can't get much worse defensively, so whatevs.

Anyway, any work on if Team Preview is a thing this generation or not? That may effect how we can deal with these monster threats, and would be critical.

People weren't saying that anybody was crazy, they were saying that it's wrong to assume that base stats would be changed just because a lot of moves got changed, which is true. It's normal for moves to get their base power, accuracy, effects, PP, etc. changed, it happens every generation, so it was a bit of a strange thought process.

I somehow hope Chansey gets base 105 Special Attack again like she had in Gen I. Or at least some sort of buff so it doesn't have to rely on Seismic Toss.

People weren't saying that anybody was crazy, they were saying that it's wrong to assume that base stats would be changed just because a lot of moves got changed, which is true. It's normal for moves to get their base power, accuracy, effects, PP, etc. changed, it happens every generation, so it was a bit of a strange thought process.

I somehow hope Chansey gets base 105 Special Attack again like she had in Gen I. Or at least some sort of buff so it doesn't have to rely on Seismic Toss.
That's 30 more SpA than Blissey! I think you're being crazy here, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)