Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- High Jump Kick
- Return

This is the Lopunny set I've been running. SubEncore works well together, Lopunny has great speed pre and post mega allowing it to utilise these two moves well. Furthermore it's often granted a free turn by the opponent's prediction of Fake Out allowing for an easy chance to Substitute. Numerous times I've encountered opponents switching into Lando-T and Salamence for the initimidate drop, which the substitute nicely ignores. If they're feeling bold and want risk setting up rocks or subs/DD, encore locks them into said moves acting as a pseudo-phasing agent.
Locking Rotom into Will-o-Wisp is great from behind a sub, as they can no longer volt-switch out causing damage/breakage to the sub.
This pseudo-phasing is the most valuable reason for running encore imo, especially with rocks on the opponent's side.

It's been a fun set to use, although Fake Out has been missed on the odd occasion.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Encore
- High Jump Kick
- Return

This is the Lopunny set I've been running. SubEncore works well together, Lopunny has great speed pre and post mega allowing it to utilise these two moves well. Furthermore it's often granted a free turn by the opponent's prediction of Fake Out allowing for an easy chance to Substitute. Numerous times I've encountered opponents switching into Lando-T and Salamence for the initimidate drop, which the substitute nicely ignores. If they're feeling bold and want risk setting up rocks or subs/DD, encore locks them into said moves acting as a pseudo-phasing agent.
Locking Rotom into Will-o-Wisp is great from behind a sub, as they can no longer volt-switch out causing damage/breakage to the sub.
This pseudo-phasing is the most valuable reason for running encore imo, especially with rocks on the opponent's side.

It's been a fun set to use, although Fake Out has been missed on the odd occasion.
If you're running sub, why not go for Focus Punch over HJK?

To be honest, I completely forgot that move even existed.

When the calculator's back up I'll compare numbers, and if it nets a needed KO over HJK then it might be the better option. I'm just wary that it causes Lopunny's sub to break unnecessarily.

Honestly, I've been using SubPunch mLop, and although it's actually fairly good at punching holes. I just don't quite think it works all that great. As Albacore has stated, it REALLY needs that sub up in order to get the hit off.
However, I have been running a SubPuP mLop. Oh My GAWD is it downright amazing. At +1, EVERYTHING hurts, regardless of what move it may be. Not many things want to come in on a +1 return, and the ones that do, don't want to take a +1 HJK or Drain Punch, especially when you're behind a sub.

Though, that doesn't entirely apply to the above set.

In short, SubPuP is amazing. Use it.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I can attest to the effectiveness of the sub PuP set, I haven't used it but I have faced it and lol I didn't expect my Skarm to get smashed to bits by +1 HJK o.o

Honestly one of the best things about MLopunny is that, even though isn't really good vs defensively orientated teams, if you decide to stray away from the standard STABs/Fake Out/Ice Punch set which most balanced and stall teams just laugh at, you can come up with some really neat ways to mess around with walls and catch them off-guard while doing so. Sub PuP is a good example of this : a lot of walls tend to act pretty passively around MLopunny since they don't view it as a threat, but suddenly they have to deal with a the equivalent of a choice banded Excadrill that can switch moves, with unresisted dual STABs, one of which hits for 130 BP. Pretty cool.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thumper bump.

Has anybody tried using Quick Attack on our playboy bunny? It's not the greatest priority attack in the world but it looks fine on paper.

Thumper bump.

Has anybody tried using Quick Attack on our playboy bunny? It's not the greatest priority attack in the world but it looks fine on paper.
I could see Mega Lopunny using it given its free moveslots, but are there any threats in particular Quick Attack helps it beat? Only threats that Quick Attack would help against are faster Pokemon or slower ones dependent on priority. Thing is, a lot of scarfers like Garchomp are either vulnerable to other priority, or have enough bulk to shrug it off and win anyway
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 72-85 (20.1 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 75-88 (23.2 - 27.2%) -- 55.9% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 82-97 (27.1 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 49-58 (15.3 - 18.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery (Ice Punch on the switch is a better gamble)

Which leaves
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 90-106 (30.3 - 35.6%) -- 34% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 97-115 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Timid Zam)
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 87-103 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 67.4% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 82-97 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- 79.7% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 58-70 (21.4 - 25.8%) -- 2.7% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Quick Attack vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 87-103 (29 - 34.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 3HKO

Thing is, all of these Pokemon have a move that will OHKO Lopunny (thought Breloom needs a little prior damage), and all need to be worn down significantly for Quick Attack to save what would otherwise be a losing match up for Mega Lopunny. Given Lopunny can be played as a cleaner, that's normally not unreasonable, but all of these mons are so frail that it's probably more effective to just 2HKO them outright. Might make a good clutch option, but it's probably not going to be clicked too often. Still, if you haven't got much use for other utility options or coverage, no reason not to use it since there is reason enough for it.

Then again, Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, arguably two of the most viable mons listed here, can be 2HKO'd w/ SR and (in Talon's case) recoil damage, so if your team appreciates an extra way to check them with rocks, have at it.

The thing is, mLop really doesn't have the room to drop something for Quick attack. Two moves, as I've stated before, are pretty much required, which leaves two slots open. Those two slots are pretty important since they are either supporting their team, or getting a guaranteed mega evo and hitting specific 'mons. Quick Attack can take the place of Fake out, but the flinch is extremely helpful. It just isn't quite worth dropping one of its other moves.

Simply because if you use focus punch two times, you're taking two hits. If you're using HJK twice, you're likely to only take one hit.
You sub on a swap or status move? I did say if you are using Sub. It'd help you wear down walls and counters faster. For instance you come in on something you threaten out, they go to a counter and check, you Sub. Focus Punch for some damage, and swap out the next turn as you are forced out by lets say a Mach Punch. You did more damage with Focus than you would have with High there. Not to mention, you could even run both. That being said, Hi Jump Kick is better for flat out sweeping, but stating you should never use Focus Punch is silly.

I've used every set for mLop imaginable, and I'll admit, SubPunch is the worst. Not to say it is bad, it's just the worst of all the sets that can be ran. Relying on that sub is a big ordeal. Yes, it hits hard as all hell, but there are only a few times where you even get the chance to click it. If you're gonna have sub in the set, it should be Sub 3 attacks, or SubPuP.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The thing is, mLop really doesn't have the room to drop something for Quick attack. Two moves, as I've stated before, are pretty much required, which leaves two slots open. Those two slots are pretty important since they are either supporting their team, or getting a guaranteed mega evo and hitting specific 'mons. Quick Attack can take the place of Fake out, but the flinch is extremely helpful. It just isn't quite worth dropping one of its other moves.
I was theorymoning this morning on running both, á la Medicham. The combo of Fake Out and QA can mean you can successfully revenge Talonflame, instead of it tanking the FO and destroying you afterwards. The combo also does damage to other priority users looking to revenge you (double the damage for the combo of FO and QA):

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Beedrill: 136-162 (50.1 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO with Quick attack)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 91-108 (27.8 - 33%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 82-97 (22.5 - 26.6%) (Revenge Belly Drum Azu)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sceptile: 87-103 (30.9 - 36.6%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 75-88 (23.2 - 27.2%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 91-108 (30.4 - 36.1%) (Chance to KO and avoid t-wave after rocks)

Set-up mons:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 63-75 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 63-75 (18.9 - 22.5%) -- possible 5HKO

While not that impressive, it does excellent chip damage, especially as you can reasonably expect these 'mons to have tanked a hit while setting up. I see it as a useful tool against Offense, which is very prominent at the minute. When I was running Lopunny I kept getting revenged by various 'mons who would stay to tank the Fake Out and then outspeed and revenge. Basically, it saves you the trouble of continuously sacking mons and then coming back in to Fake Out once more.

I was theorymoning this morning on running both, á la Medicham. The combo of Fake Out and QA can mean you can successfully revenge Talonflame, instead of it tanking the FO and destroying you afterwards. The combo also does damage to other priority users looking to revenge you (double the damage for the combo of FO and QA):

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Beedrill: 136-162 (50.1 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO with Quick attack)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 91-108 (27.8 - 33%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 82-97 (22.5 - 26.6%) (Revenge Belly Drum Azu)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sceptile: 87-103 (30.9 - 36.6%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 75-88 (23.2 - 27.2%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 91-108 (30.4 - 36.1%) (Chance to KO and avoid t-wave after rocks)

Set-up mons:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 63-75 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 63-75 (18.9 - 22.5%) -- possible 5HKO

While not that impressive, it does excellent chip damage, especially as you can reasonably expect these 'mons to have tanked a hit while setting up. I see it as a useful tool against Offense, which is very prominent at the minute. When I was running Lopunny I kept getting revenged by various 'mons who would stay to tank the Fake Out and then outspeed and revenge. Basically, it saves you the trouble of continuously sacking mons and then coming back in to Fake Out once more.
The damage output is completely fine. It's almost like a STAB Extremespeed... sorta. The problem is it takes up two moveslots effectively limiting your moves to Fake Out / Quick Attack / Fighting move / Return. I guess if you don't miss Ice Punch it could be all right.

Where does Lopunny get High Jump Kick? I know it has Jump Kick, but every source i check says it doesnt have high jump kick. even on Pokemon Showdown it says HJK is "Illegal"
ORAS, at level 66. So if you decide to raise one, be prepared for a ton of level grinding.

I've gotta say, I totally get why Return is mandatory. Besides the STAB, how does it evolve from Buneary? Through high friendship. So by the time you're able to get its other mandatory STAB at level 66, you'll presumably have already evolved it by then. After that, you can totally spam it against all sorts of Mons with that nearly unresisted coverage.

And if X and Y hadn't already introduced the Fairy type, this thing would arguably be one of the perfect counters for the cheap as hell Wondereye and Wondertomb strategy that users of Action Replay and that sort of thing liked to use before X and Y gave us the Fairy type. Because with Scrappy removing the Ghost immunity, HJK would be super effective against them.

In fact, that same trait makes it one of the best M Sableye counters I can think of. So yeah. Like Pidgeot, this bunny is ready to show that it has a new way to kick butt, in more ways than one.

I've gotta say, I totally get why Return is mandatory. Besides the STAB, how does it evolve from Buneary? Through high friendship. So by the time you're able to get its other mandatory STAB at level 66, you'll presumably have already evolved it by then. After that, you can totally spam it against all sorts of Mons with that nearly unresisted coverage.

And if X and Y hadn't already introduced the Fairy type, this thing would arguably be one of the perfect counters for the cheap as hell Wondereye and Wondertomb strategy that users of Action Replay and that sort of thing liked to use before X and Y gave us the Fairy type. Because with Scrappy removing the Ghost immunity, HJK would be super effective against them.

In fact, that same trait makes it one of the best M Sableye counters I can think of. So yeah. Like Pidgeot, this bunny is ready to show that it has a new way to kick butt, in more ways than one.
So uh.
You do realize in-game and hacks are pretty much irrelevant, right? Most competitive play takes place on simulators.

After using Lopunny for a few games it isn't quite as ridiculous as I initially thought. It just shits on the Mamoswine, Gengar, Bisharp HO team I've been using lol.

That's about the only time I've used it. I've used pretty much every mLop set under the sun, and the only one that has ran Drain Punch is SubPuP.
Is it preferable to HJK? I wouldn't have thought the recovery is worth the reliance on the +1 PuP gives. I'm probably wrong, haven't used the set yet. (I like Fake Out too much...)

Is it preferable to HJK? I wouldn't have thought the recovery is worth the reliance on the +1 PuP gives. I'm probably wrong, haven't used the set yet. (I like Fake Out too much...)
I Use Fake Out HJMiss Frustration and PuP, the scary fact it that it works most of the time. Otherwise BP or Healing wish are better options.

Is Drain Punch worth using at all? maybe on the SubPuP set?
More or less since it allows you to recover the HP lost from using sub, and at +1 it does hit fairly hard. I've also seen some guys use Drain Punch on Lopunny's that they tend to preserve for late game.

HJK is more or less there to punch holes on the opposing team, due to the immediate power of course. Whereas DP is more for late game clean up, not much things can stand up to a +1 Frustration/Return and those that do are weak to Drain Punch which should usually remove them at +1. I can't really say which is better since it is kind of apples and oranges, due to how much you can customize the role of MLop.

However, I will say this you should try to venture outside of the Fake/Ice Punch/HJK/Frustration and you'll be pleasantly surprised by what MLop can do. My favorite set is the one I posted in UU, very much usable in OU, which is HJK/Frustration/Encore/PuP it turns those annoying win cons into a liability.

If you want to try out anything outside of the anti-lead/revenge killer set start with encore, she has the speed tier to utilize it well and can really disrupt opposing teams.

Last edited:
Essentially what Machi said. In most cases, HJK is the preferred move of choice, and fake out can be ran over whatever Fighting attack you decide to substitute out. I use Drain Punch simply for staying power, but it's customized to fit the team I'm running it on.
It comes down to, do you want more raw power? Power capable of 2HKO'ing Skarmory, or do you want to heal off whatever damage Lopunny has suffered be it sub or otherwise.

I love the level of customisation MLop offers, it's SO hard to choose between its moves at any given time since they're all in a lot of ways very similar but the costs/benefits are so different. (Plus in-game it's hella easy to swap moves out because they all run on the same set anyway, not that that's important.) I just always fall back on Fake Out since I tend to find a lot of opportunities to switch Lopunny in, and the extra damage on top of Return/Whatever is so nice... but I'd agree, ditching Ice Punch for just about anything reaps a lot of benefits. Not that Ice Punch is bad, per se, but I wouldn't personally use it unless you want another way to take out Garchomp/Dragonite/Gliscor/Landorus and co. It's so hard to choose...! I'm messing around with dry Baton Passing currently, just because.

I definitely find Drain Punch more useful when using Substitute instead of HJK (can run both though if you are willing to ditch Fake Out). Gives you so much more freedom if you are forced out. Also I'm totally cheating by teaming it up with SD BP Celebi *evil laugh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)