Lord of sand

Hi everybody!
I've been playing pokemon since I was a little kid and I keep doing it with the same nice feeling.
I started with the videogames and it was so fun, but slowly I was feeling more and more interested in the competitive side of the game.
After trying few play styles, I found in the sand my niche due my Tyranitar fixation in this weather-dominated metagame.
After reading all your suggestions I made some changes (bolt ones)

Here we goes with the RMT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice scarf
trait: sand stream
E.V.'s: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Superpower

Here is my weather inducer and a kind of revenge killer/trapper.
It works wonders under the sand as it takes little damage from heavy hitters like genesect, heatran, or thundurus-T.
And as it goes scarfed it can deal nice OHKOs to things like starmie, latios/as and gengar trapping them, or stone eadging things like weakened dragonites, gyarados, unboosted salamences...
It can cover a lot of stuff and does a good work at what it does.

Scizor (M) @ choice band
trait: technician
E.V.'s: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 6 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Superpower
-Bullet punch
-U-turn
-Pursuit

I've been using Scizor as a revenge killer and a hit'n'run poke for a long time to maintain the momentum with u-turn; but now I'm trying to use it as a boost sweeper or late game cleaner with the swords dance/ bullet punch set. I know that Superpower doesn't have too much synergy with the SD/ BP...
Anyway I don't like too much the boost sweep set, but I've been raped by it few times so I decided to give it a try.

Latias (F) @ life orb
trait: levitate
E.V.'s: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco meteor

I've been using her blue counterpart for a long time with the same moveset , but didn't like his live quick, die young phylosophy, so I cut his blue thing and painted red his body (don't ask her for his old life).
I like to heavy smash everything that doesn't resist draco meteor or cripple walls like chansey/blissey/Ferro/Skarmory and render them almost useless for the rest of the play.
Thunderbolt and phychic are for coverage and STAB.

I've been using this new set with some succes, having a good coverage against few threats I haven't before, and with roost I can fly around longer.

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky helmet
trait: Sturdy
E.V.'s: 252 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Stealth rock
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Brave bird

This is my spiker and a part of my GlisSkarmsy core.
It's harder and harder set up the spikes in this highly agressive metagame, so if I can release one or a couple of lays, I feel satisfied enough.
Skarmory is also a good response to those annoying gliscors that try to stall me , or those boosted Scizors or Terrakions demanding be whirlwinded... and of course to those outrage locked dragons that like to stamp it's heads aganist my rocky helmet again and again while I'm using roost.

Skarmory where my spiker, now is my rocker.... not much changed here aside the fact that I'm not so stressed as before laying 3 rounds of spikes.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic orb
trait: Poison heal
E.V.'s: 252 HP/ 184 Def/ 72 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Protect
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Earthquake

Wow! This thing is so GOOD that must be banned! Not only have a fantastic typing, it also have a godsend ability in poison heal making it almost unstatusable.
It's part of the GlisSkarmsy core, switching into the electric, earth, and fighting attacks. It's completly walled by skarmory, steel types with an untouched air ballon, Bronzong, Xatu and other poison heal gliscors.
The first time I've see this set didn't like it too much because the lack of coverage......until I tryed.
With this set, gliscor is so annoying that it makes cry. Being able of switching often to a large portion of the metagame to poison it is simply amazing.
Every player should give it a try to quickly fall in love with it.

Rotom-W (M) @ Leftovers
trait: Levitate
E.V.'s: 248 HP/ 240 SDef/ 20 Spd
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
-Volt switch
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain split
-Hydro pump

I've changed my olde Chansey for my brand new Rotom. This thing works quite well, having a good synergy with the rest of the team (specially scizor) as is a good anti-metagame pokemon. I'm still testing it, but like it, and like this set.

I've been testing this team for a while with great succes!
Well. That's all! Any rate would be appreciated.
I wouldn't finish without congratulating Smogon for the hard work it's doing for the pokemon fans like all of us.
And at last but not least I would apologize for my bad english as it's not my mother language.
Thankyou everybody!

Hey!

You've put together a really solid defensive Sand team right here. I like a lot of things you've done already, and I think you've inspired me to make my own team sometime. The main thing I'm worried about for your team is that it doesn't have a consistent defensive presence. Clearly, you have a defensively oriented team, but without hazards, you're going to have a tough time keeping keeping up with your opponent. You'll be able to counter most threats early game, but eventually the other team will wear you down with strong attacks.

To fix this, my first suggestion is that you switch Scizor to Specially Defensive Heatran. Use Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Lava Plume / Roar for your moves. Scizor seems a out of place to me because it fits best on a bulky offense team. It hits hard right away, but because it is slow and susceptible to hazards, it usually dies quickly. I think Heatran will be a much better option for you. You retain that excellent defensive steel typing, and Heatran can switch into Pokemon like Forretress or Ferrothorn that bother Gliscor. You can take advantage of free Stealth Rock, a potential Lava Plume burn, or predict your opponent with Roar. Specially Defensive Heatran is very hard to kill without a Water or Fighting type, and by the end of this rate, those will be no issue at all.

Next, now that you have Stealth Rock on Heatran, you can afford to put Spikes on Skarmory. Defensive Skarmory is awesome because it walls a lot of threats. The problem with Skarmory is that it has a hard time causing damage. It often comes into a match, and then it can't cause any damage. That's where Spikes is very helpful. Skarmory will inevitably find itself with some free turns here and there, so you use Spikes on those turns. If you can keep Spikes up on the field, your defensive core will be much more efficient and harder to kill. Using Spikes on Skarmory has much more upside than only using Stealth Rock.

Finally, you need a way to protect all those hazards. I would be willing to bet that Starmie, Forretress, and Tentacruel rise a lot in popularity, and you need a way to beat them. Jellicent would be the perfect fit for the slot Rotom-w currently occupies. You retain your Rain and Water resistance, and you also gain the ability to stop all the common spinners easily. With Jellicent, you've also got an excellent Stall core, capable of resisting a large portion of the metagame. I'd probably use Will-o-Wisp / Night Shade / Recover / Taunt as your moves, and 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe as your EV Spread. The EVs allow you to beat the common Choice Band Tyranitar and Will-o-Wisp it before it can kill you with Crunch. I imagine Tyranitar usage increasing a lot in the near future, so you'll definitely want to beat the most common and threatening one.

Otherwise, good job with the team.

Good luck!

Hey man,

First of all, your team seems weak to sun teams because stuff like Venusaur can setup on Rotom-W and Gliscor and then can smash your team pretty easily. Also, if Tyranitar switchs into Ninetales it will probably get an annoying burn from Will-O-Wisp so it's hard for you win the weather war. To solve the weakness to sun teams, I suggest you to move 72 EVs from SAtk to HP on Latias. 72 EVs in HP allow to resist to Venusaur at +2's Sludge Bomb without lose much fire power, and they also allow to tank better Keldeo and Landorus' hits which are other threats for this team because Rotom-W can't tank their hits all the day because Pain Split is a very very good recovery move. Then, on Skarmory I'd use Shed Shell, replacing Rocky Helmet. You can use Leftovers too, anyway in my opinion they are both better than Rocky Helmet because Shed Shell allows to avoid Magnezone's Magnet Pull and because Leftovers gives Skarmory gives 6% of HP after every turn and that's pretty useful for a defensive pokèmon like Skarmory. Rocky Helmet otherwise doesn't seem useful because U-Turn users like Scizor and Landorus aren't a problem for this team and dragon-types aren't a problem too if Skarmory runs Shed Shell so you don't need Rocky Helmet at all. Finally, on Scizor I'd use Quick Attack, replacing Pursuit. Tyranitar has already Pursuit so in my opinion Scizor can lack Pursuit to gain Quick Attack to deal Volcarona and Gyarados better, anyway you can use Pursuit if you want, this is only a preference of mine.

Hope I helped, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)