Big Lord of the Rings Mafia - Game Over! Forces of Sauron Win!

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry aska. If you really want me to prove it to you, I can type out all the convos of my roommates freaking out about the internet. Also, my feet and legs are actually bleeding from this week. I've passed out as soon as I've gotten home every day this week. I can't explain it to you more than that. Like it or not, it's the truth.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
vonFiedler
You said that you thought one of zorbees and LonelyNess was mafia - is there some reason why you think this is the case or do they both just appear suspicious to you?
If I had to narrow the mafia down to two top players, I'd pick these two. One of them is probably mafia, but both could be. I've already voiced my general suspicions against zorbees and he has responded to them and stuff others have said. LN on the other hand has majorly flip-flopped today, first giving a very possible explanation for why someone might have killed Rodan, and then insisting LW did it anyway. There was some soft amount of heat on LW at the time, and sure enough putting pressure on him made him do his trademark big rant that might turn people off; but I guess it didn't quite work out that way this time!

Mind you, my #1 is still Acklow, in fact, lynch acklow. You should note that he didn't say "if one of them flips", he said "if one of them is village". There's a lot of ways different variations of flips on the two of us could be evaluated as you point out, but he seemed to already know the outcome.

I was merely speculating but then I realized I tl;dr'd the OP and there was a part that explains exactly.

Prior to reading this, I thought that maybe that would spark discussion about it, yes. I don't know the answer, and I thought maybe the opinions of other people would offer me some insight as to what powers the orc vote may have had. No reason speculating about it now, though, since the OP pretty much answers that.
I can't really see how this is possible.

You read the opening post and read down to the orc role PM and determine they have some voting ability. Then you decide 'I wonder what this voting ability could be' without reading the very next paragraph. To me this signals that you saw the orc role PM independently of the opening post, and didn't bother reading it when you found the same passage again.

Vote acklow

With regards to the other argument going on here, Lightwolf is making a lot of sense, LonelyNess really isn't. Aska has already explained some of the pros/cons with revealing the cleaned.

The biggest argument against revealing the cleaned is allowing the whole game to debate those users in the dark. Lightwolf can see how everyone discusses the cleaned users, knowing that they are clean. The rest of the game has to decide whether or not to agree or disagree with those users not knowing if they are clean. Having a group of 3 cleaned users makes for more bandwagoning.

There are times when revealing a cleaned user will be vital, but I'm sure a clean Lightwolf would spot them. Even if Lightwolf is not clean, there's very little we'd gain by knowing exactly who he claimed to have inspected.

I have no idea what to say about this.
The main reason is the huge # of potential scum reads. That might be due to the size of the game. I think LW is the most scummy because he asked for role claims and then we lost a doctor. But I also might be screwing this up in my head. I have to check. So not gonna vote yet.

yeah i'm not sure what to think really. i feel like assuming that lightwolf is bad because the bodyguard died the night he asked for claims is a bad idea because i don't really see why a member of the mafia would need to kill the bodyguard at all if he has control over who he protects.

on the other hand i understand what ln is saying about rodan's death not being a rand, he seems like an unlikely target for either an inspect or just a rand kill. i guess people who you may not consider big names could actually be prime targets for a rand since some hosts deliberately give them powerful roles in an attempt to avoid namekilling hurting the village too much but idk if that happened here. it's a topic worth thinking about but it's kind of difficult to get what i think of as good enough leads from it.

acklow's posts all feel a little off to me but again i'm not sure if that's enough of an indicator to call for a lynch. i agree with putting some pressure on though but i reckon the votes we have right now are enough.

Lots of posts to respond to, wonderful. I guess we'll go by main talking point.

Lightwolf vs. LonelyNess: I think I talked about this already, but I'm pretty sure some new points have come up since I last posted. While I wouldn't saw LW is 100% clean and we should all trust him implicitly, I do think he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and the arguments on his side make a whole lot more sense than the ones on LN's side. While LN has a good point about why the mafia would kill a guy who is normally inactive, it's not enough to lynch LW on its own IMO and the fact that he stubbornly decided to push the LW lynch despite some good arguments as to why LW could be clean makes me suspicious. LN already has a bunch of pressure votes on him so I don't think another one will do a heck of a lot of good, but since Blue_Tornado was one of the first people to support the idea that LW could be scum when LN brought it up and hasn't made a post saying anything otherwise since, so I'd like to see how he feels now that some more has been said on the subject.

Acklow: His behaviour on D1 and the start of D2 certainly looked bad, but I think he's starting to improve with his last post or two. Still definitely worth monitoring, but for the time being I'm going to give him a bit of slack.

askaninjask: Fair enough. I hadn't considered the possibilities with the tie lynch, so that was probably stupid on my part. As for the TIK lynch I think the point I wanted to make was that TIK was the scummiest person at the time and that lynching him was better than a no lynch, but you're right in that the way I worded it doesn't sound very great. And as for the defending thing, yeah the first of those was just me wanting to point out to von that I had considered what he pointed out, and the second one I had just been called out by Agape so defending myself seemed like the natural thing to do.

Now then, for a vote:

Vote acklow

I sheep the above user
Vote Metal Sonic. You even called yourself a sheep in the post. There's a blatant bandwagon if I've ever seen one. Care to explain?

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
No.

And thanks for highlighting me and quoting my post; you just gave me an unnecessary alert. Here's one back.
I somehow expected more from the best scum hunter na.

Lynch Metal Sonic

This reeks of my play in RNG Mafia, and I was essentially scum then. Sure, I've been rude, but I've backed up my rudeness with observations. In this game, anyway. Explain yourself and stop playing the 'ignorant asshole' role, or you will be under heavy suspicion.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm an ignorant asshole and deserve heavy suspicion.

No, this part of the game isn't meant for scumhunting. Call me when the game is a manageable 13-player, not a 39 player horror nightmare. I count on you guys to handle the OC work and to wipe out the obvious scum so that I can snipe off the few remaining pickaninnies.

You're the town leader, I sheep you, I guess. If you're going to put your vote on me though, it's against policy for me to vote myself.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I somehow expected more from the best scum hunter na.

Lynch Metal Sonic

This reeks of my play in RNG Mafia, and I was essentially scum then. Sure, I've been rude, but I've backed up my rudeness with observations. In this game, anyway. Explain yourself and stop playing the 'ignorant asshole' role, or you will be under heavy suspicion.
ping

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
So you're basically gonna just let us do the heavy lifting and seize the glory when the game's almost over.

You knew this was a big, why the hell did you sign up if you refuse to contribute?

My vote remains.

Has anybody bothered to look how Metal Sonic plays in other NOCs? He plays like an idiot, and he plays like it well. There is absolutely no reason in pursuing this MS lynch because it will just lead to a dead end.

Sorry I haven't posted much D2, been busy irl!

Will get to a few reads tonight maybe/hopefully

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
unvote
vote aura guardian

I'm 99% sure he's seen Metal Sonic in a NOC before, he should know that jumping on a Metal Sonic lynch for a post like that is pretty baseless.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree that there's no reason to kill the bodyguard if you control his actions. If Lightwolf knows who the inspector is, or other important power roles, RODAN will want to protect them. Lightwolf wouldn't be able to reasonably get him to NOT protect them. In order to get to the power roles, he has to get rid of the bodyguard. Also, getting rid of the bodyguard now is better than having Lightwolf be found out and then having no control over him.

Additionally, I agree with billymills about the village having 2 bodyguards. So, if RODAN was known and Legolas was not, if RODAN is left alive, and Lightwolf is found out, then Legolas can protect RODAN while RODAN protects power roles. This is a scenario where the mafia is powerless to get rid of the bodyguard without successfull randing Legolas.

I'll concede to the point about revealing cleaned villagers. I just think it's silly to continuously be told "yeah, I hit villager" time and time again and just be 'ok' with that as Lightwolf's result. You have to think there are at least 10 mafia men, and Lightwolf was aggressively collecting claims... I find it kind of suspicious that he didn't hit mafia for two nights when he likely had a number of good targets.

I'll Unvote Lightwolf because it is obvious that's not going to be our lynch today, but I would implore the village to be extremely suspicious of him if he comes up with nothing for a 3rd day, because I disagree about Lightwolf needing to give up his mafia buddies in order to seem clean. The balance in a 1v1 game is such that it's EXPECTED that the village will kill mafians every day, and the mafia will kill villagers. I would imagine that the mafia only needs to cause 3-4 mislynches in order to almost entirely wrap the game up, wolf not counted.

Last edited:

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for constantly forgetting the no edit rules. It's a bad habit of mine that I make posts and then come back to them and edit them to make them more eloquent.

askaninjask

Let me lay out my post as it was intended and then lay out yours to makes sure we are both on the same page about what is being said.

If I'm understanding the role correctly, the mafia wouldn't even have to kill any of the Rohirrim. Instead, they would just silence (or any form of vote control really) one and the Rohirrim would effectively be vanillagers. If anything, the mafia would want to keep outted Rohirrim alive to continue to silence. So basically, to any Rohirrim reading this, I'd recommend staying under the radar.
This is, of course, assuming the mafia have some form of vote control, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
This post had two purposes. First, I wanted to clarify a less obvious reason for the Rohirrim to keep their roles secret until we needed it. This was mostly for the benefit of newer players who may not have noticed the possibility that I laid out in the post or perhaps, if this is their first mafia game ever, were unaware that something like "vote control" even existed. It was also a response to posts such as this and this where people were suggesting that we use the Rohirrim ability because "the mafia can't kill them all." Second, in case my original point was missed, I wanted to tell the Rohirrim that staying under the radar was the best possible decision in an obvious way (hence the second-to-last sentence).

There are two users I want to call out though that have not been getting enough heat. The first is Upside, who posted once attempting to clarify the rules. This is the least contentious post imaginable - one that would seem like a good idea from the mafia perspective. Nobody gets angry at you, etc. When I was mafia in Walrein's NOC game I did exactly the same thing. Seem helpful, and they won't suspect you. Well, I suspect you.
Your post as I understand it: Upside makes rule-clarifying, non-contentious post. This is exactly the type of post that mafians attempt to make. Hence, Upside is suspicious.

I think it is unfair to boil my post down to simply clarifying the rules. Obviously this was an aspect of my post, but you are picking out the beginning of my post and ignoring the rest. I don't see how you can legitimately claim that the post was "the least contentious post possible" when what the Rohirrim should be doing and how we can best use them was being discussed at the time. (This sentence sounds aggressive which is not how I'm trying to come across, but I can't think of a way to reword it while maintaining clarity, so ignore the aggression I guess.)

I can understand how a more experience player could see my post as a "fluff" post because it was directed at newer players who may not know/understand all the possibilities within the game, but hopefully this clears some of that up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)