Lost Because Opponent Refuses To Stop Timer

Hi guys. I know this is my first post, but I feel I need to let this out.

I don't know where to post this or if I should have even posted this, but I thought this was unfair. To know what I'm talking about, here's the replay. Please note the chatbox.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-214764726

As many of you know, it's towards the end when we start to really put our hand on our chin and play our cards well. I wasn't on Facebook or anything; completely focused on the battle. Instead of respecting my wishes and understanding that some lag was available, the player just kept playing as if a machine.

I know justice can be served, and the same types of player might pull the same crap. Please tell me something can be done, because I was frustrated when I lost because I "ran out of time", as oppose to losing because I legit lost.

Thank you.

Thanks, but can you please read what I said again?

I made all the choices in a timely matter. The internet lags, which makes it so that even if I did, extra seconds get taken away from my timer.

Is that simple enough to understand?

Well, if it was just that, fine. But the guy was a dick, is my point.

No kind of reporting? The fact that you can have replays of the match can show more than the strategies a person pulled.

That's like you drowning and saying, "Help!" and the person just keeps looking at you. And when you die, he goes away.

After he "won" from me being "inactive", he just left. F*cking douche.

What I learned is to be the one who starts the timer. What I usually do is, when I see the other person running out of time, I stop the timer. I don't want to win from stupid sh*t like the timer running out.

If the other play actually talks and show signs that they're breathing human beings with feelings, I'd wait as long as the person tells me what's up.

But for someone who might as well be an AI, I'll wait a couple of minutes, but turn the Timer on when it takes too long, the stop it using my Judgement (STAB, of course).

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Yes, it sucks bad that this happened. However the timer is a catch-all, it HAS to exist and has to work the way it does to prevent abuse. Su ch as stalling until the other person gets bored or has to leave. Or waiting so someone can coach you moves etc.

Unfortunately running the timer against someone lagging is within the confines of the rules. Yeah it may fall into the category of being a "dick," but most people I've encountered will turn it off if I tell them I'm lagging.

Sorry for what happened but this just teaches you to not play ranked matches on lag.

Thanks for your reply and trust me, I get it. My internet is not usually laggy, but when it is, I don't know when it happens. I'm sure you can relate.

I'm sure most people I encounter are sensitive human beings who would turn off the timer, also. But you'll always find an ass somewhere, right?

Anyways, I'll make sure to be the first to turn it on. I'm extremely good at leading the battle anyways, due to the fact the opponent's leading move is usually obvious to me (thanks, Youtube videos).

He's not obligated to turn the timer off even if you were lagging. Yes, it would've been nice of him to do it but it's in no way against the rules to keep it on and have the opponent time out.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can you recommend another place?
No. PS is supreme.

On a more serious note, if it starts to lag and you see the timer going down, follow these steps.
  1. Write down the name of your opponent
  2. Exit Showdown
  3. Re-open Showdown and go into a chat room
  4. type /whois (opponent name)
  5. Click on the battle(s) that they're in and find the one you were doing against them
Good luck!

EDIT: If you move fast enough you can do it in under 60 seconds. I've had to do it exactly 20 times and have succeeded 19 of those times.

Last edited:
No. PS is supreme.

On a more serious note, if it starts to lag and you see the timer going down, follow these steps.
  1. Write down the name of your opponent
  2. Exit Showdown
  3. Re-open Showdown and go into a chat room
  4. type /whois (opponent name)
  5. Click on the battle(s) that they're in and find the one you were doing against them
Good luck!

EDIT: If you move fast enough you can do it in under 60 seconds. I've had to do it exactly 20 times and have succeeded 19 of those times.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Hopefully this kind of experience doesn't happen to anyone, but it happens. At the end of the day, it's just a game, not even using our real Pokemon, and although I was upset then, there's really nothing to be upset now. If I'm a good player, it'd show in my rating, regardless of stuff like this happening.

Thank you everyone who read and response. Let's keep Pokemon awesome, because it is.

If your browser features a history tab or feature, you can always go a much simpler way by exiting PS and using the history tab to find the most recent Showdown battle, where you can return to the game without needing to write anything down or searching for usernames.

On Chrome the button is on the top right and a drop-down list shows a History option (which is what I use), but I'm not sure about other browsers.

Bro i absolutely understand you, this happens to me ALL THE TIME.
Well, i can understand that the timer is there for a good reason, but at least the people of showdown could make a better timer (dos it really needs to go down and down, i mean, it comes to a ponit where you only have less than 30 seconds to make a move. Really???) If a remember well, some time ago the timer was 120 seconds during all the battle, so why can it be like that again?? (and if the timer was never like that and its just my imagination, well maybe it would be a great idea to make it like that)

Bro i absolutely understand you, this happens to me ALL THE TIME.
Well, i can understand that the timer is there for a good reason, but at least the people of showdown could make a better timer (dos it really needs to go down and down, i mean, it comes to a ponit where you only have less than 30 seconds to make a move. Really???) If a remember well, some time ago the timer was 120 seconds during all the battle, so why can it be like that again?? (and if the timer was never like that and its just my imagination, well maybe it would be a great idea to make it like that)
Yeah, I know right. Make it 60 seconds, at least, every single turn...you know, like in THE OFFICIAL GAME lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)