Other Lower Tier Threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, just letting you know that I've updated this thread. If your post wasn't included, it was either a set that was already posted, or your set descriptions were not quite up to standard. If you feel that your set is neither of these and wasn't included, please contact me. Also, please contact me if you see any mistakes regarding grammar or incorrect links.

While it's not really a big deal, I'd like to remind everyone that you're free to talk about any sets that you've used and what kind of experiences you've had with them. It's always a good thing to generate discussion, so please feel free to do so. Thanks again guys for keeping this thread at a high standard, and happy posting! n_n

(Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 200 HP / 44 Def / 220 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover

While not that impressive at first glance, Eviolite takes it's average defenses to effectively the mid 300s. Tri attack is basic stuff, decent power, STAB and the chance to freeze, paralyze, or burn all work highly in it's favor. Recover makes it laugh off hits that could threaten it's longevity otherwise. Discharge is there to do damage while spreading paralysis, with 220 evs in special attack and a modest nature, it allows it to ko gyarados with 4 spdef evs after rocks, as well as most variants of charizard Ys, Talon Flames, 4 spdef azumarills are 2 hitted, as well as skarmory. Ice beam makes quick work of pokemon like non mega Venusaur, d-nite's with their multiscale already broken, garchomp, gliscor and non bulky variants of Latios. 220 Evs in special attack makes him hit relatively hard and reach a respectable base 331! 200 Evs allow it to take at least 4 seismic tosses before falling, and it of course it prolongs it's lifespan. 44 in each defensive stat to maximize potential tanking. There are issues with the set though, It's complete knock off bait as it relys heavily on eviolite, it can still do a fairly decent job without it, but don't expect to be taking any superpowers any time soon. Trace can also work out of favor, giving you bad or useless abilities like stance change, justified and hustle!

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

or

Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

First one is more of a "ain't got no moob tutorz :[" Gastrodon.

Gastrodon has a pretty nice place in OU being able to soak up hits from Keldeo (barring Secret Sword), Thundurus, and basically electric types, water types and ground types lol. Gastrodon also has a nice core with Skarmory, both being able to cover each other's weakness, Electric type moves and those stab Scalds, Hydro Misses, Fire Blasts, and T-bolts are easily soaked in by Gastrodon whilst Skamory eats up Grass Moves and the hard hitting physical moves. With this Gastro-Skar core I've been able to play around with a Zard-Y until the sun finally went out and Gastrodon made easy work with Scald.

I'll try to add a bit more insight later.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

or

Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

First one is more of a "ain't got no moob tutorz :[" Gastrodon.

Gastrodon has a pretty nice place in OU being able to soak up hits from Keldeo (barring Secret Sword), Thundurus, and basically electric types, water types and ground types lol. Gastrodon also has a nice core with Skarmory, both being able to cover each other's weakness, Electric type moves and those stab Scalds, Hydro Misses, Fire Blasts, and T-bolts are easily soaked in by Gastrodon whilst Skamory eats up Grass Moves and the hard hitting physical moves. With this Gastro-Skar core I've been able to play around with a Zard-Y until the sun finally went out and Gastrodon made easy work with Scald.

I'll try to add a bit more insight later.
Keldeo's Secret Sword always 2HKOs, Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker so it DGAF, Thundurus has physical sets that go Knock Off + Coverage or can just Taunt/Focus Blast/Grass Knot you (yes I know Grass Knot isn't common, but it's a thing), Azumarill has Play Rough (gg if it's set up Belly Drum), Rotom-W just burns you and leaves, Lando-I still rapes you (especially if it got up a Calm Mind or used Knock Off/U-turn), and you can't counter any of the other Grounds because many of them 2HKO you with that set.

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 225-265 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 253-298 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 225-265 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 250-296 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes that last one exists.

Keldeo's Secret Sword always 2HKOs, Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker so it DGAF, Thundurus has physical sets that go Knock Off + Coverage or can just Taunt/Focus Blast/Grass Knot you (yes I know Grass Knot isn't common, but it's a thing), Azumarill has Play Rough (gg if it's set up Belly Drum), Rotom-W just burns you and leaves, Lando-I still rapes you (especially if it got up a Calm Mind or used Knock Off/U-turn), and you can't counter any of the other Grounds because many of them 2HKO you with that set.
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 225-265 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 253-298 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 225-265 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 250-296 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes that last one exists.
Way to take a suggested specially defensive set explicitly paired with Skarmory and then calc it against a whole lot of physical attackers... Rude as fuck. Next time try to be more helpful and less condescending especially when you're manipulating the data for the sake of proving someone wrong.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain / Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Physically defensive Gastrodon maintains more of a niche roll then its specially defensive partner for a handful of reasons, the main being its ability to come into common physical threats and be 3hkoed, threats such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, Garchomp, Mega Scizor, Azumarill, and Excadrill. While some things will threaten it at +1 such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Gyarados, Gastrodon serves as an excellent check to both as neither wants to be Toxiced or in the case of Mega Gyarados, burned. On the other side, physically defensive Gastrodon can also handle other threats such as Azumarill and even speced Keldeo, as well as Rotom Wash and Scizor. Gastrodon can also give up its water resistance, albert generally a poor option, for the ability to come into Knock Off and maintain its leftovers, but even without Sticky Hold Mega Scizor fails to 2hko it at +2. Gastrodon also serves as a nice answer to other common things such as Thundurus, being immune to its primary stab as well as Thunder Wave, and stopping some obnoxious threats like Corcune tho it leads to a PP stall between Rest and Scald/Toxic as both will hit +6 one on one.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 190-225 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 163-193 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 150-177 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- 77.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 174-205 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 180-213 (42.2 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 169-199 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Karxrida

Way to take a suggested specially defensive set explicitly paired with Skarmory and then calc it against a whole lot of physical attackers... Rude as fuck. Next time try to be more helpful and less condescending especially when you're manipulating the data for the sake of proving someone wrong.
All I did was list Pokemon that he said it could handle. Jeez.

Uh, there really wasn't anything rude or condescending in that post. I mean, the use of the word "rape" when mentioning Landorus was a little risque, but the post itself was very straightforward and merely addressed the examples that the previous poster mentioned and how they match up against his/her Gastrodon set. Yeah, he mentioned that it could be paired with Skarmory, but it's hard to praise something like Gastrodon for handling a certain group of Pokemon only to find out that you need a second Pokemon (Skarmory) to handle many of the individual Pokemon in this group. I'm also not sure how he's manipulating data. He just posted examples of moves that certain Pokemon could use to beat Gastrodon and a few damage calculations. No need to get so upset.

For the record, I honestly prefer the physically defensive set that McDanger posted for the reasons he mentioned, namely the ability to more safely tank Keldeo's Secret Sword.

Didn't really mean to make the SpDef set seem as if it was the better of the two, was just a matter of preference. Also I was kinda rushing the post at the time, so I might have came off as misleading (sorry) when I said it could handle ground types, that was kinda meant for Skarm (Barring Lando-I, all you can do for him is whirlwind), even the water types aren't completely covered:

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 359-426 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 359-426 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Yes, I did mean the SpDef build to specifically have a core with Skarmory, 'cause without Skarm you're just better off going Phys Def set.

At least we established that Gastrodon still has a nice spot in OU :]

This is not the place for speculation.
You're the one talking about how no one will know Bouffalant's super secret ability, but I'll humor you and explain why Bouffalant isn't worth running even if your opponent doesn't appear to be able to think.

Firstly, Grass moves are rare in OU. Ferrothorn, Amoongus, and Venusaur are your best (only?) bets of getting a boost. Breloom has Mach Punch to, which 2HKOs without Adamant or Life Orb, so you're in a reasonable scenario you get Breloom and die to the next thing that comes in thanks to that base 55 Speed. After that... The only thing that actually usually runs Grass coverage is Charizard Y, who's just going to roast you with Fire Blast. I guess Thundurus runs Grass Knot occasionally, but the vast majority don't. Hell, there's an enormous number of OU teams that don't run any Grass moves whatsoever, simply because there isn't a reason to actually run Grass coverage in this meta. In most of your battles, Sap Sipper is a complete nonfactor to start with.

Secondly, Bouffalant has basically no redeeming qualities. 110 Attack is mediocre in this meta, which Normal STAB doesn't help at all with. 95/95/95 bulk is good for an offensive mon, but Normal typing gives it exactly one immunity, so you can't really take advantage of that bulk to get in and out as well as other offensive Pokemon with resistances. It's Speed is utter shit, you get outrun by most defensive mons, which makes you complete Will-o-Wisp fodder for just about anything that learns it, not to mention having to take an attack from every offensive threat in OU before you get your say. And then that coverage... Normal Ground Bug Electric is just lol, and you can't even lure Skarmory properly because Banded Adamant Wild Charge has a 99.6% chance to 2HKO Skarmory. That's not even a guaranteed 2HKO with the absolute best case scenario... It's just depressing.

Thirdly, if you decide you want to use a Normal type attacker, you need to justify running Bouffalant for the job. Staraptor does the whole "hard hitting Normal type" far better, boasting a few resistances, an immunity, an actual Speed stat, and the ability to hit harder with Double Edge than Bouffalant can with Head Charge, never mind Return (and Raptor is running Jolly in these calcs lmao, look at this shit)

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 333-393 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 288-339 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Then you have to look at other options, like Diggersby, who gets STAB EQ, Huge Power, Swords Dance or Agility, and Quick Attack. Or Porygon2, who does the whole tank thing far better than Bouffalant thanks to Eviolite, recovery, and coverage options. Or even weird stuff like Braviary, who has Defiant and can make people question the intelligence of using Defog. Hell, I'd even consider Kangaskhan, who has an actual Speed stat, relevant abilities, and coverage options that work with it's Normal typing, not to mention priority of it's own. All of these can do wallbreaking better than Bouffalant can, except P2, who's a far better offensive tank. All Bouffalant has is a little bulk over some, a little more power than some others, and an immunity to the worst offensive typing in the game and two relevant status moves.

TL;DR Bouffalant smokes too much grass and is pretty much always a shitty choice.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, this thread is kinda dead but I'm bumping it to post a few more lower tier threats. Two lesser used and niche but still effective Dragons coming up.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
- Dragon Tail

Goodra is kind of a different Dragon among the elite group of Dragon-types, not just in its cute and somewhat weird appearance. This thing, unlike the rest of its brethren, really isn't offensively focused, and its main strength lies in its bulk. With an Assault Vest and a wide offensive movepool (with good offensive stats to back it up), Goodra functions pretty nicely as a special tank. Thanks to its amazing special bulk and good typing, Goodra is capable of taking on some of OU's top special attackers, such as Thundurus, Mega Charizard-Y, Greninja, Landorus, and more. In addition to this, Goodra's wide offensive movepool means that it does more than just laugh at anything special attackers have to throw at it; it also means that Goodra can pack a good punch in return. Its Draco Meteor is not as strong as that of Latios or even Hydreigon, but it packs good power for a tank. Having Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb is nice, so Goodra can punish Steel- and Fairy-types that may try to come in and take advantage of Goodra; Fire Blast roasts Scizor and Ferrothorn, while Sludge Bomb does a number to Azumarill, Clefable, and Togekiss. Thunderbolt is a nice alternative over that though since it hits Skarmory more reliabily while messing with Gyarados; it still hits Azumarill as well as Togekiss super effectively if you need it. It also consistently hits Keldeo hard. Dragon Tail is cool too, since Goodra can phaze, which is good for an AV tank, and also prevents Goodra from becoming complete setup fodder. This thing does have some issues like having no recovery and being sort of weak, but with its great bulk and solid offensive presence, it has a solid niche as a special tank, so if you need what it has to offer, go for it.

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Noivern is kinda cool imo. This thing has sick speed, being the fastest of basically any Dragon-type around. This makes Noivern a pretty decent revenge killer, especially since it outspeeds Greninja by one point, which is really clutch. It's not that strong but its offensive presence is good enough to revenge kill. Draco Meteor and Hurricane are both pretty strong moves, and Noivern can revenge kill quite a few things well. Flamethrower is nice coverage as well, so Noivern can take down incoming Steel-types and roast them up. Roost is there to heal Noivern when it gets the chance, especially since LO will wear at it at a steady pace. This thing has to compete with Latios quite a bit, but its sick speed and access to Flamethrower do give it a niche, so if you need those, Noivern is definitely worth using.

>tfw Hydro Pump (Omastar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Hydro Pump
- Hydro Pump
- Hydro Pump

Omastar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf / Scald
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off

Do you like power?

Do you like speed?

Are you the sort of person who would bring a stealth bomber to a knife fight?

Then Specs Omastar might just be for you. A literal spawn of Cthulhu, denizen of the abyss and Lovecraftian horror when the sun doesn't shine, Swift Swim Omastar is not only respectably fast (406 speed!) it is also powerful beyond reason. It is capable of 2HKOing some of the sturdiest of resistant pokemon: Amoonguss and even Chansey need to be very healthy to avoid a 2HKO from Specs Hydro Pump. Under the right conditions it can mow through a team like it's nothing. And not only is it powerful, it's quite bulky, too; 70/125 is only a little less bulk than Skarmory's 65/140. Of course, you're not going to be investing much in HP or defense, because why do that when Hydro Pump? Low ladder players may think Talonflame requires no skill to use, but they've never seen Omastar. Talonflame will often need to use moves that are not Brave Bird (Flare Blitz, Will-O-Wisp, U-Turn, Roost, etc.) However, when using Omastar, there are very few situations where you need to use any move that's not Hydro Pump, or at least Surf. Knock Off to troll Chansey, Ice Beam for Amoonguss, that's basically it. In every other situation just Hydro Pump. Ferrothorn? Hydro Pump. Lati@s? Hydro Pump. Mega Venusaur? Hydro Pump. Rotom-W? Hydro Pump. Assault Vest Azumarill? Hydro Pump Scald. You'll be so busy pressing Hydro Pump you won't even notice that you won five minutes ago: all thanks to Omastar and its psychopathic tendencies.

Last edited:

Entei @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extremespeed
- Bulldoze

An excellent and underrated mon in the OU metagame. Whilst there are no moveset changes, this Entei plays somewhat differently to CB, and was a major factor in me achieving suspect reqs. Whilst CB is generally seen as the only OU viable Entei, AV offers impressive special bulk combined with decent power, and still boasts the scary 50% burn that make any switch in fear him.

The EV spread gets the jump on Adamant Mamoswine and max speed Jolly Breloom, whilst maximizing attack. Remaining EVs are put into special defense, allowing Entei to hit an impressive 334 with AV. This also allows Entei to switch into Aegislash comfortably, only fearing the rare Head Smash. It also makes Entei a counter to Charizard-Y. It needs hazard control to be optimal and appreciates wish support, otherwise it risks being run down by rocks, but this Entei deals with a nice chunk of the OU metagame. Another nice bonus is Heatran switching in doesn't mean lost momentum, as Entei couldn't care less about a +1 Fire Blast and renders it useless with Bulldoze. Generally, any special mon that can only hit it neutrally will ultimately lose momentum to it. Special Thundurus and Zapdos come to mind as examples. Entei also sees Mega Gardevoir, a feared big threat if Aegislash leaves, as food. It takes next to nothing from Hyper Voice and wrecks with a combination of SF and ES, though it can't casually switch into a Psyshock.

Calcs:

Gardevoir has to fear this from AV Entei:
252+ Atk Entei Sacred Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 234-276 (84.1 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Whereas Entei only takes this from Hyper Voice:
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 150 SpD Assault Vest Entei: 81-96 (21.8 - 25.8%)
and even Psyshock isn't too bad providing you don't switch into it:
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Entei: 178-211 (47.9 - 56.8%)

So I'd say Entei is an awesome response to Gardevoir, though you definitely need hazard control as I've already stated.

252+ Atk Entei Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 252-300 (65.2 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
So Heatran is rendered useless for the majority of the battle after staying in, assuming Entei is choiced. Granted AV Entei can't KO, but it reduces Heatran to fodder for the most part.

Here's some examples of Entei's bulk:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 150 SpD Assault Vest Entei: 133-156 (35.8 - 42%) guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 150 SpD Assault Vest Entei: 84-99 (22.6 - 26.6%)
22.7% chance to 4HKO
Whereas Entei responds with:
252+ Atk Entei Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 176-208 (45.8 - 54.1%) guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Entei Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 294-348 (98 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

So Zapdos goes down to ES after SE and rocks, and Thundurus gets straight up wrecked.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 150 SpD Assault Vest Entei in Sun: 111-131 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 22.7% chance to 3HKO
That's the absolute best Charizard Y can do excluding the rare Earthquake, whilst SE is a clean OHKO.

These are just some examples of Entei's usefulness, but I can get more specific calcs if they're appropriate. These are just examples of what was useful (and impressive) to me during the suspect test.

Last edited:

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found AV Raikou to be a useful pivot. It counters Thundurus's most common set, and puts offensive pressure on Keldeo, Azumarill, Dragonite, Gliscor, etc. Here is the set I use:

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks to Assault Vest, Raikou is more than capable of tanking special attacks. It can then use Volt Switch to hit the switch-in (because it often forces out the previous Pokemon). All in all, it's great for keeping momentum. Thunderbolt is for stab, Extrasensory to hit Venu switch-ins (it 2HKOs non-specially defensive sets after SR assuming no Mega evolution before the switch), and HP Ice for Dragonite, Garchomp, and Gliscor. I definitely recommend giving Raikou a try.

I already posted this in the creative/underrated sets thread, but I figured that since Whimsicott is normally RU, I might as well add it to this list as well. This set was featured in an old team of mine, from when threats like Mega-Blaziken, Mega-Kangaskhan, and Mega-Lucario were still running rampant in OU. Now, with the prevalence of threats like Azumarill running around, I think Whimsicott might actually have some potential. Make sure you hear me out before dismissing this.

Physical Stall Wall Whimsicott (Physical Wall/Support)

Whimsicott @ Big Root
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Cotton Guard
- Encore

Thanks to the new Grass/Fairy typing Whimsicott picked up, it now actually has some potential as a physical wall (especially mid/late-game). The basic strategy is to switch in on a move that Whimsicott is either totally immune to (Spore, Leech Seed, or any Dragon-type move) or resists, then use a priority Encore to force the switch. As the opponent switches out and on the first turn, boost to +6 Defense with two priority Cotton Guards. Once that +6 Defense is obtained, your only win condition might just be to Leech Seed and Giga Drain your opponent into oblivion (assuming they don't have any special attackers left). Big Root is used over Leftovers because Whimsicott's poor base HP will often result in far more recovery from boosted Leech Seed and/or Giga Drain, especially against bulkier foes (throw it down on say, Blissey, and watch a Leech Seed restore half your HP in one turn).

Pros:
-1180. That's the amount of Whimsicott's Defense stat after just two Cotton Guards.
-Unexpected. Physical Wall Whimsicott is rarely, if ever, considered as a threat when team building.
-Able to absorb Spore and any Dragon-type attack, and then use priority Encore to force a switch. This allows the first Cotton Guard on the opponent's switch and the second Cotton Guard immediately following.
-Big Root in combination with Leech Seed and Giga Drain helps make up for Whimsicott's poor base HP stat, since it can restore large percentages of its health each turn.
-Laughs in the face of anything physical that doesn't hit it super-effectively.
-Laughs harder in the face of some things that do hit it super-effectively.
-Able to provide priority Encore support, which can shut down lots of other notable walls.
-Base 116 speed will allow it to naturally outspeed a large number of other priority users.
-Absolutely capable of causing the opponent to rage quit.

Cons:
-Total taunt bait while setting up.
-Very vulnerable to Toxic. REALLY doesn't like Toxic, since once Whimsicott gets set up, there's often no reason to take it out.
-Struggles against anything that has immunity to Leech Seed (including Pokemon with Magic Guard).
-Lousy base stats and very vulnerable to special attacks.
-Doesn't like some of the physical threats that dominate the current OU Metagame, including Mega-Mawile, Talonflame, boosted Bisharp, and mixed Aegislash since they have super-effective attacks.
-Needs support for a proper stall, including removal of special attackers and preferably friendly hazards like Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes.

Here's some damage calcs for you so you can see what I'm talking about (and keep in mind the calculator does not calculate for the HP recovery from Leech Seed and Giga Drain). Some of these I just used the random recommended set for Whimsicott's opponent, some of them I actually improved the stats/items etc (such as replacing the Choice Scarf on Garchomp with a Choice Band). In all cases, I used the move from their common set that was MOST damaging to Whimsicott.

After boosting, Whimsicott can take hits from some of the metagame's heaviest hitters:
252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 43-52 (13.2 - 16%) -- possible 5HKO after sandstorm damage
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 96-113 (29.6 - 34.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Stone Edge vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 37-44 (11.4 - 13.5%) -- possible 8HKO
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 31-36 (9.5 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO

Sponges up super-effective attacks like a boss:
252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 30-36 (9.2 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 50-60 (15.4 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 116-138 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 58-70 (17.9 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO (if Conkeldurr is burned)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 96-114 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 10.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 73-88 (22.5 - 27.1%) -- 44.7% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 102-120 (31.4 - 37%) -- 70.7% chance to 3HKO

Also stops Breloom in its tracks, especially since it can switch in and absorb/Encore that annoying Breloom Spore:
252 Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 30-40 (9.2 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO
0 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 49-58 (18.7 - 22.1%) -- possible 5HKO

And also Azumarill, who strongly dislikes Giga Drain:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 144-169 (44.4 - 52.1%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO (oh, and you can also Encore its Belly Drum)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 54-64 (16.6 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

Once again, keep in mind that these calculations do NOT account for Big Root-boosted Giga Drain & Leech Seed recovery. Now, this is definitely a niche role, to be sure, but this Whimsicott build actually lets it check a large portion of the current metagame's top-tier threats. Give it a try if you feel so inclined, or don't. Just thought I'd mention it since I stumbled across my old Whimsicott team's thread recently, and haven't really seen any discussion about this potential role for Whimsicott. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I already posted this in the creative/underrated sets thread, but I figured that since Whimsicott is normally RU, I might as well add it to this list as well. This set was featured in an old team of mine, from when threats like Mega-Blaziken, Mega-Kangaskhan, and Mega-Lucario were still running rampant in OU. Now, with the prevalence of threats like Azumarill running around, I think Whimsicott might actually have some potential. Make sure you hear me out before dismissing this.

Physical Stall Wall Whimsicott (Physical Wall/Support)

Whimsicott @ Big Root
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Cotton Guard
- Encore

Thanks to the new Grass/Fairy typing Whimsicott picked up, it now actually has some potential as a physical wall (especially mid/late-game). The basic strategy is to switch in on a move that Whimsicott is either totally immune to (Spore, Leech Seed, or any Dragon-type move) or resists, then use a priority Encore to force the switch. As the opponent switches out and on the first turn, boost to +6 Defense with two priority Cotton Guards. Once that +6 Defense is obtained, your only win condition might just be to Leech Seed and Giga Drain your opponent into oblivion (assuming they don't have any special attackers left). Big Root is used over Leftovers because Whimsicott's poor base HP will often result in far more recovery from boosted Leech Seed and/or Giga Drain, especially against bulkier foes (throw it down on say, Blissey, and watch a Leech Seed restore half your HP in one turn).

Pros:
-1180. That's the amount of Whimsicott's Defense stat after just two Cotton Guards.
-Unexpected. Physical Wall Whimsicott is rarely, if ever, considered as a threat when team building.
-Able to absorb Spore and any Dragon-type attack, and then use priority Encore to force a switch. This allows the first Cotton Guard on the opponent's switch and the second Cotton Guard immediately following.
-Big Root in combination with Leech Seed and Giga Drain helps make up for Whimsicott's poor base HP stat, since it can restore large percentages of its health each turn.
-Laughs in the face of anything physical that doesn't hit it super-effectively.
-Laughs harder in the face of some things that do hit it super-effectively.
-Able to provide priority Encore support, which can shut down lots of other notable walls.
-Base 116 speed will allow it to naturally outspeed a large number of other priority users.
-Absolutely capable of causing the opponent to rage quit.

Cons:
-Total taunt bait while setting up.
-Very vulnerable to Toxic. REALLY doesn't like Toxic, since once Whimsicott gets set up, there's often no reason to take it out.
-Struggles against anything that has immunity to Leech Seed (including Pokemon with Magic Guard).
-Lousy base stats and very vulnerable to special attacks.
-Doesn't like some of the physical threats that dominate the current OU Metagame, including Mega-Mawile, Talonflame, boosted Bisharp, and mixed Aegislash since they have super-effective attacks.
-Needs support for a proper stall, including removal of special attackers and preferably friendly hazards like Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes.

Here's some damage calcs for you so you can see what I'm talking about (and keep in mind the calculator does not calculate for the HP recovery from Leech Seed and Giga Drain). Some of these I just used the random recommended set for Whimsicott's opponent, some of them I actually improved the stats/items etc (such as replacing the Choice Scarf on Garchomp with a Choice Band). In all cases, I used the move from their common set that was MOST damaging to Whimsicott.

After boosting, Whimsicott can take hits from some of the metagame's heaviest hitters:
252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 43-52 (13.2 - 16%) -- possible 5HKO after sandstorm damage
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 96-113 (29.6 - 34.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Stone Edge vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 37-44 (11.4 - 13.5%) -- possible 8HKO
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 31-36 (9.5 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO

Sponges up super-effective attacks like a boss:
252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 30-36 (9.2 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 50-60 (15.4 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 116-138 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 58-70 (17.9 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO (if Conkeldurr is burned)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 96-114 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 10.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 73-88 (22.5 - 27.1%) -- 44.7% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 102-120 (31.4 - 37%) -- 70.7% chance to 3HKO

Also stops Breloom in its tracks, especially since it can switch in and absorb/Encore that annoying Breloom Spore:
252 Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 30-40 (9.2 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO
0 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 49-58 (18.7 - 22.1%) -- possible 5HKO

And also Azumarill, who strongly dislikes Giga Drain:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 144-169 (44.4 - 52.1%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO (oh, and you can also Encore its Belly Drum)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 54-64 (16.6 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

Once again, keep in mind that these calculations do NOT account for Big Root-boosted Giga Drain & Leech Seed recovery. Now, this is definitely a niche role, to be sure, but this Whimsicott build actually lets it check a large portion of the current metagame's top-tier threats. Give it a try if you feel so inclined, or don't. Just thought I'd mention it since I stumbled across my old Whimsicott team's thread recently, and haven't really seen any discussion about this potential role for Whimsicott. Thoughts?
Im sorry but some of these calcs are completely irrelevant. Any competent player that uses Aegislash would never spam a resisted blow when Shadow Ball hits like a truck. And Im like 99% convinced youre using Stance Dance for that calc, which is a terrible set and shouldnt be used for anything other than stating how terrible it is.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 204-240 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

DDNite wouldnt EQ when Extreme Speed exists. Fire Punch is sometimes used as well

+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 196-231 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 368-434 (113.5 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

On top of that, why does every SE calc account for +6? Im sure youre not gonna be able to set up two Cotton Guards against mons that hit her super effectively.

Ill count these scenarios as the Pokemon in question switching in
- Mamoswine: ok, Ill give you that
- Scizor: What is Whimsicott gonna do back? Most, if not all Scizors run Roost, and many of them Bullet Punch. He'll outdamage the Leech Seed recovery and roost while watching you helplessly do anything to him. Its pretty irrelevant because Whimsicott isnt going to stay in. Not even with Encore Shenanigens.
- Charizard X: lolwut 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 186-218 (57.4 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery He'll kill you before you can do anything. idk why youd even stay in on a 3HKO when you have no recovery outside of Leech Seed
- Conkeldurr: Ill give you that, tho idk why Conk would even switch in/stay in outside of a sac
- Talonflame: Gale Wings goes before Whimsicott because Talon is way faster 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 152-180 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Whimsicott has no chance whatsoever.
- Bisharp: 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 90-108 (27.7 - 33.3%) -- 79.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery Bisharp can spam Iron Head and outdamage Giga Drain while fishing for a Flinch.
- Pinsir: If youre trying to stay in on Pinsir with a Grass type, then youre a dumbass. It may be a 3HKO, but Whimsicott literally has no way of scratching Pinsir. The calculator says so itself: 0 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 18-21 (6.6 - 7.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
- Breloom: Ok, sure.
- Azumarill: Ok, sure

Now, you say Whimsicott can check a "Large Portion" of the meta. So youre saying that Whimsicott can switch into a large portion of the meta? Cuz she cant. Im not gonna bother with a wall of calcs, but Whimsicott doesnt get a magical +3 defense boost (or even +6 for that matter) by just switching in.

This isnt even accounting for the buttload of special attackers that exist:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 413-486 (127.4 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 211-250 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 192-227 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Sludge Wave is meh on Lando, but shreks her)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott in Sun: 798-938 (246.2 - 289.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 744-880 (229.6 - 271.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Id go on, but I think Ive made my point clear. Whimsicott cannot check a large portion of the meta. Shes not even viable in OU. Proof of this is her not even being ranked in the viability thread.

Im sorry but some of these calcs are completely irrelevant. Any competent player that uses Aegislash would never spam a resisted blow when Shadow Ball hits like a truck. And Im like 99% convinced youre using Stance Dance for that calc, which is a terrible set and shouldnt be used for anything other than stating how terrible it is.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 204-240 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
As stated, this Whimsicott should not be used against special attackers, including mixed Aegislash sets.

DDNite wouldnt EQ when Extreme Speed exists. Fire Punch is sometimes used as well
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 196-231 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 368-434 (113.5 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO [/quote]

My bad on that one. Still can take a few hits after boosting.

+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 50-59 (15.4 - 18.2%) -- possible 6HKO
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 92-110 (28.3 - 33.9%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO

Which leads into the next point...

On top of that, why does every SE calc account for +6? Im sure youre not gonna be able to set up two Cotton Guards against mons that hit her super effectively.
Because with priority encore, it's not difficult at all to get. Switch in, use Encore to force the switch. As they switch, hit the first Cotton Guard. On the next turn, use Cotton Guard a second time.

Ill count these scenarios as the Pokemon in question switching in
- Mamoswine: ok, Ill give you that
- Scizor: What is Whimsicott gonna do back? Most, if not all Scizors run Roost, and many of them Bullet Punch. He'll outdamage the Leech Seed recovery and roost while watching you helplessly do anything to him. Its pretty irrelevant because Whimsicott isnt going to stay in. Not even with Encore Shenanigens.
- Charizard X: lolwut 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 186-218 (57.4 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery He'll kill you before you can do anything. idk why youd even stay in on a 3HKO when you have no recovery outside of Leech Seed
- Conkeldurr: Ill give you that, tho idk why Conk would even switch in/stay in outside of a sac
- Talonflame: Gale Wings goes before Whimsicott because Talon is way faster 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 152-180 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Whimsicott has no chance whatsoever.
- Bisharp: 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 90-108 (27.7 - 33.3%) -- 79.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery Bisharp can spam Iron Head and outdamage Giga Drain while fishing for a Flinch.
- Pinsir: If youre trying to stay in on Pinsir with a Grass type, then youre a dumbass. It may be a 3HKO, but Whimsicott literally has no way of scratching Pinsir. The calculator says so itself: 0 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 18-21 (6.6 - 7.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
- Breloom: Ok, sure.
- Azumarill: Ok, sure
Concerning Scizor, Charizard X, Talonflame, Bisharp, and Pinsir: Obviously these are not matchups where you'd want to keep Whimsicott in, as Whimsicott will absolutely lose them (with the POSSIBLE exception of Scizor... they just kind of wall each other endlessly or until one runs out of PP). I just put those up to demonstrate how bulky Whimsicott is after its Cotton Guard boosts. I repeat: these are threats to this build and will have to be taken down by the rest of the team for a Whimsicott wall win condition.

Now, you say Whimsicott can check a "Large Portion" of the meta. So youre saying that Whimsicott can switch into a large portion of the meta? Cuz she cant. Im not gonna bother with a wall of calcs, but Whimsicott doesnt get a magical +3 defense boost (or even +6 for that matter) by just switching in.
Allow me to rephrase; "check" is really not the best term. "Answer" or "annoy" or "is capable of stalling out" would be a better term. This build relies heavily on switching into something that is not very damaging or completely ineffective, then boosting with Cotton Guard as the opponent switches out. In other words, you wouldn't switch into Mega Charizard X. You would switch into, say, an Outrage from Dragonite, Encore it, and then set up. Or switch into a Spore from Breloom. Or whatever. If threats to Whimsicott such as special attackers, Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, etc have already been dealt with by the rest of your team, you can stall your opponent out entirely with Leech Seed/Giga Drain. This is why Whimsicott is mid/late-game wall.

This isnt even accounting for the buttload of special attackers that exist:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 413-486 (127.4 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 211-250 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 192-227 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Sludge Wave is meh on Lando, but shreks her)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott in Sun: 798-938 (246.2 - 289.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 744-880 (229.6 - 271.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also as stated, special attackers eat Whimsicott alive. Whimsicott is not meant to be used against special attackers any more than Blissey should be used against physical attackers.

Id go on, but I think Ive made my point clear. Whimsicott cannot check a large portion of the meta. Shes not even viable in OU. Proof of this is her not even being ranked in the viability thread.
I obviously didn't go through the entire OU physical threat list to run damage calcs for the post. I stuck mostly with S/A rank threats. There are a lot of physical threats that went unmentioned in the post.

Just thought I'd mention it, though, as I've had some success with this build in the past, and it's not a role I'd even see discussed at all.

Last edited:
I can't wait any longer for TrollFreak to release Sheer Force Feraligatr and I miss using it since XY started so I created this set.

G8TR @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

For those of you who dont know, a Liechi Berry boosts a pokemon's attack by one stage if it's health is less than 25%. Keep in mind that Feraligatr's ability, Torrent, boosts the power of water attacks by 1.5 if it's health is below 1/3. So the general idea with this set is to Dragon Dance once, ideally take a ton of damage but live, then proceed to wreck shit.mSurprisingly, it isnt too hard to get Feraligatr in range of Torrent and Liechi Berry, it's fairly bulky so that it doesnt usually get ohkoed, but frail enough to be brought to its' knees...Then it's G8TR TIME!!!!! G8TR has effectively 2.5x attack (2x for Ice Punch) and 1.5 speed so anything that is doesnt resist water and ice and even some things that do (im looking at you Greninja) are alligator meat. Now that G8TR is freed from using Earthquake (Fuck you Aegislash), Ice Punch is the chosen as the coverage move because it hits dragons and grass that resist water. Superpower is another option to nail Ferrothorn, but the attack drop really hurts G8TR as it usually only has one chance at sweeping and needs all the power it can get. The evs maximize G8TR's attack and the speed let's it outspeed Noivern by one point after a Dragon Dance. The rest is thrown into Defense and not hp so G8TR can take priority better. The purpose of this set is to sweep late game, so its advised not to bring G8TR in until all of its checks and counters are weakened or dead.

Rotom-W, Keldeo, Azumarill, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur are the best counters to this set. Gothitelle can take out the latter two as well as help G8TR with stall, however, magnezone can be used to take down ferrothorn as well and be less of a dead weight against teams without these components. Mega-Gyarados has similar counters and can help weaken them for a G8TR sweep. It also can lure in Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur with mold breaker earthquake and mold breaker ice fang. Choice Specs Politoed brings in all of these pokemon as well. With proper prediction, it can hit do massive damage to Keldeo, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur with Psychic and Focus Blast. I'm also pretty sure that it can 2hko non AV Azumarill and Defensive Rotom-W with Hydro Pump, but too lazy to do calcs. Either way it greatly wears them down and can threaten Azumarill with a burn from Scald. Outside of this, Politoed can also provide rain for G8TR, although G8TR isnt dependent on rain.

Unlike many pokemon, G8TR doesnt mind hazards as being worn down is something it wants. However, it would very much enjoy stealth rock on the opponents side to break random sash users and inflict chip damage in general. So having stealth rock on both sides is much better than stealth rock on neither as far as G8TR is concerned.

G8TR can run Swords Dance over Dragon Dance and a Salac Berry (boosts users speed by one stage when at less than 25% health) over a Liechi Berry. In the end, it's total boost will still be 2.5x attack and 1.5x speed with Torrent factored with both movesets. I chose the combination I did because I figured in the event the berry doesnt activate, G8TR has a better chance of sweeping due to the speed from Dragon Dance. However, one could argue that the power of Aqua Jet and the wall breaking of Waterfall from Swords Dance could be better. Interestingly enough G8TR also get Agility, which would bring G8TR to 2.25x attack and 2x speed after all boosts. It could also invest more in bulk than speed. This might look better on paper, but makes G8TR way too dependent on getting in range of Torrent and Liechi Berry. Still an option, but which one do you guys think is the best?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-147983245

The team in this replay is a major WIP so feel free to offer me any advice if you have any :D

Karxrida

I can't wait any longer for TrollFreak to release Sheer Force Feraligatr and I miss using it since XY started so I created this set.

G8TR @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

For those of you who dont know, a Liechi Berry boosts a pokemon's attack by one stage if it's health is less than 25%. Keep in mind that Feraligatr's ability, Torrent, boosts the power of water attacks by 1.5 if it's health is below 1/3. So the general idea with this set is to Dragon Dance once, ideally take a ton of damage but live, then proceed to wreck shit.mSurprisingly, it isnt too hard to get Feraligatr in range of Torrent and Liechi Berry, it's fairly bulky so that it doesnt usually get ohkoed, but frail enough to be brought to its' knees...Then it's G8TR TIME!!!!! G8TR has effectively 2.5x attack (2x for Ice Punch) and 1.5 speed so anything that is doesnt resist water and ice and even some things that do (im looking at you Greninja) are alligator meat. Now that G8TR is freed from using Earthquake (Fuck you Aegislash), Ice Punch is the chosen as the coverage move because it hits dragons and grass that resist water. Superpower is another option to nail Ferrothorn, but the attack drop really hurts G8TR as it usually only has one chance at sweeping and needs all the power it can get. The evs maximize G8TR's attack and the speed let's it outspeed Noivern by one point after a Dragon Dance. The rest is thrown into Defense and not hp so G8TR can take priority better. The purpose of this set is to sweep late game, so its advised not to bring G8TR in until all of its checks and counters are weakened or dead.

Rotom-W, Keldeo, Azumarill, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur are the best counters to this set. Gothitelle can take out the latter two as well as help G8TR with stall, however, magnezone can be used to take down ferrothorn as well and be less of a dead weight against teams without these components. Mega-Gyarados has similar counters and can help weaken them for a G8TR sweep. It also can lure in Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur with mold breaker earthquake and mold breaker ice fang. Choice Specs Politoed brings in all of these pokemon as well. With proper prediction, it can hit do massive damage to Keldeo, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur with Psychic and Focus Blast. I'm also pretty sure that it can 2hko non AV Azumarill and Defensive Rotom-W with Hydro Pump, but too lazy to do calcs. Either way it greatly wears them down and can threaten Azumarill with a burn from Scald. Outside of this, Politoed can also provide rain for G8TR, although G8TR isnt dependent on rain.

Unlike many pokemon, G8TR doesnt mind hazards as being worn down is something it wants. However, it would very much enjoy stealth rock on the opponents side to break random sash users and inflict chip damage in general. So having stealth rock on both sides is much better than stealth rock on neither as far as G8TR is concerned.

G8TR can run Swords Dance over Dragon Dance and a Salac Berry (boosts users speed by one stage when at less than 25% health) over a Liechi Berry. In the end, it's total boost will still be 2.5x attack and 1.5x speed with Torrent factored with both movesets. I chose the combination I did because I figured in the event the berry doesnt activate, G8TR has a better chance of sweeping due to the speed from Dragon Dance. However, one could argue that the power of Aqua Jet and the wall breaking of Waterfall from Swords Dance could be better. Interestingly enough G8TR also get Agility, which would bring G8TR to 2.25x attack and 2x speed after all boosts. It could also invest more in bulk than speed. This might look better on paper, but makes G8TR way too dependent on getting in range of Torrent and Liechi Berry. Still an option, but which one do you guys think is the best?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-147983245

The team in this replay is a major WIP so feel free to offer me any advice if you have any :D
Relying on a Berry like that sounds super gimmicky and situational.

You forgot to mention some threats:
  • Thundurus will survive Aqua Jet unless you have SR up at +2 and ruin your sweep with T-Wave.
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 247-292 (82.6 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Scarf Garchomp (the most relevant Scarfer I can think of) can take a Aqua Jet easy and Earthquake does 52% min. Rough Skin + potential low health for berry means you lose or are severely crippled.
  • Kyurem-B can survive an +2 Ice Punch even with a -Def Nature and has a chance to OHKO you from full health. You're plain boned if you have less than 72% (min damage from uninvested Fusion Bolt against your set).
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 103-122 (26.3 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 172-203 (43.9 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 226-268 (72.6 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 264-312 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 290-342 (93.2 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 343-406 (110.2 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 307-361 (98.7 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

• Intimidaters like Lando-T are obviously a problem, so you need them gone too since you realistically won't have more than one chance to set up. Lando-T is also a somewhat common Scarfer, so...
(Literally no idea what Scarfed Lando-T runs, so I'll just run uninvested Def and Attack to be fair).
+1 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 306-360 (80.3 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 147-174 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 77.7% chance to 2HKO

Enough to kill you if you're at low.
  • Mega Manectric takes a +1 Aqua Jet, outspeeds if you don't use Aqua Jet, and OHKOs with Thunderbolt (or just Volt Switches out if you're at less than 88%)
+1 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 168-198 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 356-420 (114.4 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Mega Mawile can come in if it hasn't MEvo'd, hit you with an Intimidate, and do major damage. You also have to deal with Sucker Punch 50/50s if it hasn't MEvo'd since Aqua Jet doesn't OHKO.
(Can't remember what HP Mega Mawile runs and I'm lazy/tired, so 0 investment calcs)
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 153-181 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 115-136 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 306-360 (126.9 - 149.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 229-271 (95 - 112.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 163-192 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Feraligatr: 274-324 (88.1 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

• You can actually lose to Greninja without SR up since you go before it does, meaning you're doing nothing but resisted attacks.
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 255-300 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 338-400 (108.6 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 169-200 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm tired so that's it for now. All those calcs were done with Torrent active, so if you're not at <33% or you fail to OHKO something that does at least 50% you're kinda boned.

Copy-paste from the underrated sets thread

Entei@Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 136 HP/ 252 Atk / 12 Def / 108 Spe
-Substitute
-Sacred Fire
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head/ Iron Tail/ ExtremeSpeed/ Bulldoze

Bulky Sub-attacker Entei. It handles a large portion of the OU metagame between his decent mono-Fire typing and great natural bulk. Substitute eases prediction and lets Entei hit the switch in with the right move. Sacred Fire is awesome with the 50% burn rate and great base power of 100, allowing Entei to cripple most physical switch ins like Azumarill and Tyranitar. Stone Edge covers certain threats like both Zard formes and birdspammers thinking they can switch in and set up on Entei. I generally like to use a Steel move to slay the Fairies that Entei has an easy time switching in to. Iron Head and Iron Tail is the reliability vs power argument but after awhile of missing all too often with Iron Tail I'm beginning to favor Iron Head. Since you're running Adamant, ExtremeSpeed is another option for the 4th moveslot, allowing Entei to pick off a weakened opponent if Entei can't one-shot it from behind a sub and his sub is broken. Just remember to switch to shiny. Also this set is pretty hard walled by Heatran, but Heatran can't do anything back if its not carrying Earth Power, and Bulldoze is a 2hko should you opt to run it.

The EV spread is tailored to allow 101 Subs, easily setting up on the likes of Chansey and co carrying Seismic Toss and Night Shade. Maximum Attack investment allows Entei hit as hard as possible, and 108 Spe EVs allow Entei to Speed creep Jolly Breloom and down. The rest is dumped into Defense, but you can opt for a different EV spread, basically swapping Attack and Defense investment and switching to Impish, but you're losing out on a lot of damage and the option to run ExtremeSpeed. Pressure works really well in tandem with Substitute as well, allowing Entei to PP stall out certain Hydro Pumps and Stone Edges looking for an easy kill.

Question: with the above set, is there something more optimal than Adamant if you're not running Extremespeed?

Question: with the above set, is there something more optimal than Adamant if you're not running Extremespeed?
Well Adamant and max investment lets you hit as hard as possible, but if you desire more bulk you can run Impish or Careful and invest in those respective stats.

It's time

Paul Walker (Scolipede) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Rock Slide / Baton Pass
- Protect / Swords Dance / Baton Pass

Here are true facts about the Scolipede.

The Scolipede is a Pokemon introduced in BW. In its debut gen, it unfortunately found itself in NU, and to add further insult it was then banned from NU. Fearing a life of irrelevancy, Scolipede went to Gamefreak and asked, "would it be too much to ask for a more useful hidden ability? Quick Feet just isn't working out: I'm already quite fast, you know, plus I'm immune to poison, I'm a physical attacker so burn doesn't work, and of course you can't actually move when asleep or frozen. And paralysis... euugh, no thanks. Quick Feet is bad, and I'd like something for a new lease on life."

To which Gamefreak replied, "Well I don't see why not. You are our favorite centipede-based Pokemon, after all. Maybe some other speed-related ability... Speed Boost, maybe? Could work: it did wonders for Blaziken, after all. You'd be able to outspeed everything after a turn or two, and you could even use Baton Pass to give speed boosts to your teammates. You'd be able to give Swords Dance and Iron Defense boosts, as well. Yes, Speed Boost sounds perfect for you."

When Scolipede learned it would get Speed Boost, it humbly said, "Thank you, Gamefreak-sama. I won't let you down."

Scolipede then went on to ruin everything.

After two months and 124 pages of terrible arguments, shitposting and bickering, Scolipede could no longer support the now-banned full Baton Pass team, a role which it had taken great pride in; who could resist seeing Espeon liquify a team with 400 BP Stored Powers at +4 SpA, and think "I helped do that." However, Scolipede could take refuge in its capabilities as a quickpasser, making slow and powerful Pokemon like Mega Heracross, Azumarill, Tyranitar, or Mega Medicham more grossly overpowered by passing them speed and attack or defense boosts. Imagine if you could give a jet-pack and a bazooka to Vishnu: this is how the Scolipede do.

But most interesting about the Scolipede, a Pokemon whose ability and movepool screams "I wish to create gods out of my teammates," is perhaps its offensive set, which uses it speed not for others, but itself: because sometimes, greed is good. You could ask, "what can a Pokemon with piss coverage from its STABs and a mere 100 base attack do?" But another question you could ask is, "how can I prevent Scolipede from goring me?" Because that's exactly what Scolipede will do if you question its power. Scolipede is great at cleaning up a weakened team, racking up speed boosts to become untouchable and picking off opponents with its powerful Megahorn and Bug/Ground/Poison|Rock coverage. Imagine if someone went to an animal shelter, beat everything there with a baseball bat and then it was your job to -- wait, hold on, don't imagine that.

Just remember: if you ever feel like your life is going nowhere, then just get a Scolipede. Because if speed can't solve your problems, you're just not going fast enough.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's time 2.0

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Quaggod is now UU. This is mainly due to people realizing there were other bulky waters, and all of them (Slowbro, Suicune, Alomomola) have their own niches that are right for select teams. However, Quagsire is still an effective mon in OU, thanks to its spectacular ability: Unaware. Unaware, as you all know, makes it such that stat boosts don't effect the damage output on Quagsire. Thus, physical attackers known for boosting their stats, such as Mega Scizor, Charizard-X, BD Azumarill, and SD Talonflame, Mega Tyranitar, and some other mons, like AV Azumarill, CB Talonflame, and Mega Aerodactyl are easily handled by Quagsire. Its bulk and power aren't outstanding by any means, but they're sufficient for what it needs to due. Its typing is also amazing, since it only provides a weakness to the relatively rare Grass-type moves and Freeze Dry. If your stall team is weak to setup sweepers and needs a bulky water, look no further than Quagsire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)