Lucario

Specially-based Luke is still an amazing Gliscor lure
Even then, other than not taking Ice Punch for Crunch/Extreme Speed, there's really not much stopping Luke from Ice Punching the shit out of Gliscor anyways. Lucario generally outspeeds most Gliscors, and defensive ones are 2HKOed at the very worst unless Lucario is burned and at -1 or something.

A: People like to be able to Phaze
B: My team doesnt have too many things weak to gyra
DD + DTail is still stupid. DTail has -6 Priority. You're not outspeeding shit with that. The rest of your team is also irrelevant - in this situation, Gyarados did what it came in to do - eliminate Lucario from the playing field.

NP Luke isn't bad, but it's not as good as its SD Counterpart for reasons already listed - other than a few (no longer notable) niches, it doesn't have much over the much stronger version.

I used NP luke long ago and it is not bad to revenge kill Excadrill.
Now SD is better unless it gets burned or intimidated. Terrakion is not a problem if luke has bullet punch. BP can also hit Gengar and scarf rocks like tar.

Luke is also good in Doubles and triples with nice ability, follow me, priority, long-distance attack moves, etc.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it is safe to fall back on either crunch/se/ice punch depending on your nature/item. lucario with crunch + cc has the opponent doing his/her best to avoid swords dance + espeed keeping the frail mons in check whilst its fighting/dark-type coverage takes care of the rest. i tend to run scizor and lucario for what its worth which is why i dont rely on bullet punch to deal with a select few pokemon who are all checked by scizor reasonably well.

Personally i like to use Bullet Punch on my Lucario so I'm not threatened by Terrakion, and plus with Bullet Punch Gengar can't stop your sweep which is really nice. A big drawback though is that you're going to have a lot harder time getting through Gliscor and Scarf Rotom-W, which, although admittedly less common, can still pop up and ruin a potential sweep. However, I like Bullet Punch for the fact that it hits a lot of the stuff resisting or immune to E-Speed!

getting rid of Gliscor and Rotom is not hard with the right teammates(which is how you should be using Lucario cause he doesnt work on teams not based around him) and Bullet punch helps a lot against bastards such as gengar and Terrakion. there is little point in using other moves because BP is overall more useful.

YMMV on this, but IMO BP is more useful then the likes of crunch or ice punch for the last slot.

According to serebii we will get DW-Luke with BP soon, as much as this is interesting what really gets my hopes up is that this COULD mean we will get prankster Riolu (if the Lucario is female or has a random gender) which would mean riority roar in form of copycat Oo
Nope. Riolu loses prankster upon evolving. DW Lucy has Justice Heart

ah ok, just making sure. It is a great ability for both pokemon, yet I think it is a little bit better on Gallade, as Gallade also has the psychic secondary type, so opponents will try to exploit it only to find out it gets an attack boost. I think Lucario will most likely boost mostly on predicted switches in because I don't think anyone will use a dark type move on Lucario while it is still out fighting.

I always found the problem with NP Luke is that Vacuum Wave never hit faster things hard enough, unlike Extremespeed. The only thing NP Luke has over SD Luke is the surprise factor.

IMO, Choice Specs Lucario is better than the Nasty Plot set, since the turn used to set up you are just able to hit hard right from the get-go on the predicted switches. HP Ice's extra coverage doesn't hurt either.

He was talking about Riolu.Riolu's DW ability is Prankster and it can use priority phazing via Copycat.Get it?
Is that how it works? I thought it didn't do that, and fooled everybody about the mechanics. However, if you're right, it'll be interesting to see how high Riolu will move up in the tiers.

I've been experimenting with Lucario for a bit and found a pretty fun set to use:

Lucario @ (life orb?)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
~Hone Claws
~Hi Jump Kick
~Blaze Kick / Ice Punch
~ExtremeSpeed

I chose HoneClaws because it adds damage to his STAB Hi Jump Kick and at the same time ensures that it hits. Blaze Kick or Ice punch are there for type coverage, though Blaze Kick could use Hone Claws as well.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trouble is, why wouldn't I still use SD? +1 HJK is nice and all, but instead I could be hitting something hard with a +2 Close Combat (and the defence drops don't bother Lucario THAT much since its already frail-ish). If I really wanted to use a 1 stage boosting move then id prolly go work up although split EV investment sucks

I've been experimenting with Lucario for a bit and found a pretty fun set to use:

Lucario @ (life orb?)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
~Hone Claws
~Hi Jump Kick
~Blaze Kick / Ice Punch
~ExtremeSpeed

I chose HoneClaws because it adds damage to his STAB Hi Jump Kick and at the same time ensures that it hits. Blaze Kick or Ice punch are there for type coverage, though Blaze Kick could use Hone Claws as well.
I've actually been looking to make a Luke set exactly like this. Answering the question above, I would opt for the +1 Atk/Acc for HJK because it doesn't give the defense drops; meaning at least somewhat of a higher chance to survive, and it's stronger. Blaze kick likes the Acc boost as well. Plus it's different from what everyone uses in the metagame. I don't want a poke that is predictable to the point I have to play around that. It's like a counter-counter method.

The nature is what finishes of the set though. Justified can't be used with Ice Punch, but Ice Punch is more preferred to most situations.

Lucario is already frail like it's been said. If you set up properly in the match, the CC drops won't matter as you'll be sweeping or at the least causing significant damage to the team. And if not, Lucario will be revenged just as easily with or without the drops. The only thing you're doing is making Lucario even more reliant on setting up, since it really won't like any possible HJK recoil.

As for using something different, that's fine, but as of now, even the Nasty Plot set is far enough away from what people tend to expect and that looks more effective honestly.

With the change to Adamant nature, you're risking losses in very key speed battles. Lucario gets revenged easily as it is with a positive-natured 90 Base Speed. Take away the positive nature on speed, and you're really asking for it, and Extremespeed can't kill that many things outright on just a +1.

And what do you mean Justified can't be used with Ice Punch?

Lucario is already frail like it's been said. If you set up properly in the match, the CC drops won't matter as you'll be sweeping or at the least causing significant damage to the team. And if not, Lucario will be revenged just as easily with or without the drops. The only thing you're doing is making Lucario even more reliant on setting up, since it really won't like any possible HJK recoil.

As for using something different, that's fine, but as of now, even the Nasty Plot set is far enough away from what people tend to expect and that looks more effective honestly.

With the change to Adamant nature, you're risking losses in very key speed battles. Lucario gets revenged easily as it is with a positive-natured 90 Base Speed. Take away the positive nature on speed, and you're really asking for it, and Extremespeed can't kill that many things outright on just a +1.

And what do you mean Justified can't be used with Ice Punch?
His ability justified is illegal with Ice Punch. It's a Gen IV move tutor move and Gen V ability. But I see what you mean about his speed. It's just hard choosing between Agility or SD. It seems he needs the power, but desperately needs the speed.

Oh yeah, forgot Justified is DW.

And it's not hard at all. You use Swords Dance and a Positive Speed Nature (I don't know them all by name right now, forgive me). You won't be that fast, but at the very least you should take out a couple of pokes, and if you set up right, what you hit still won't like a +2 Extremespeed to the face.

The speed boosting nature you want is Jolly. And yeah, SD is generally better, since it gives ES the power to muscle through things. You just have to deal with good old 4MSS and use the rest of your team to deal with whatever Luke can't handle.

I would love Lucario if he gained Mach Punch. His speed just doesn't suffice my taste compared to Terrakion or Infernape. Anyone try out a Sub NP/SW +2 attacks? :p Could work perhaps haven't personally used it but a thought. How about High Jump Kick and Crunch. Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse :)

Sub NP MIGHT work...maybe. But again, with it's frailty, it's not like his sub will be tanking things. Plus if you do Sub NP, you're losing out on either a coverage move (HP Ice) or some MUCH needed priority (Vacuum Wave). There's a reason why Lucario suffers from 4MSS, and idk adding Sub will help that at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)