ORAS OU Ludiwig Van Pert (ORAS OU Rain Offense)

Hello
Welcome to a new era of rain teams. This team, Ludiwig Van Pert, is a rain offense team centered around Mega Swampert and Ludicolo. It has gotten me to mid 1500s, but I think the only thing holding it back is my own skill. I want to bring this team to the next level. Give your opinions so we can all improve this team. Enjoy.

Team Preview

ludicolo.png
swampert.png
rotom.png
Tornadus.png
celebi.png

Teambuilding Process

politoed.png

Politoed is the simplest pick for any rain team. It's the only non-uber drizzle user so this reasoning for choosing this is simple. It provides rain on switch in. The only question is which set to use. I always prefer a tanky Politoed over a offensive because I feel offensive Politoed needs scarf or life orb to be successful and I want rain to stick around by using damp rock. With this in mind I choose to run a defensive bulky set. Politoed's role is to his tribal dance which calls forth rain unto the battlefield. Simply put, Politoed puts the "rain" in "Rain Team". I run scald because its a 30% chance to win. Ice beam to hit any grass types that try to switch in. Toxic for any bulky Pokemon that switch in. And Hidden Power Grass is for any water types that try to switch in and chip damage on Volcanion.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

swampert.png

The next Pokemon I wanted was an physical swift swim user. The competitive physical Pokemon that get swift swim is limited to Swampert, Kabutops, and much more uncommon but Kingdra and Omastar. Obviously I ended up choosing Swampert. I chose this mainly due to pure power. In the rain it can hit like a monster. Swampert acts as a fast wallbreaker. The damage he can deal can lead to Ludicolo sweeps. Swampert also has surprising bulk and can take some hits. Relevant damage calculations will be below. Waterfall and Earthquake for STAB and great coverage. Superpower for pesky Ferrothorn and Chanseys. And finally, Stealth Rock because my final team needed rocks and Celebi had no room for change in its moveset which we will get to.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

ludicolo.png

The final simple pick of any quality rain team. With a physical swift swim user and a rain setter, I only needed a special swift swim user to complete the trio. Ludicolo's role is an end game sweeper, but he can also open doors for team mates to sweep due to his great coverage. Grass, water, and ice provides a near impossible to wall trio coverage. Ludicolo's coverage forces lots of switches by the opponent who try to predict you, and with rocks this can provide a lot of chip damage on the enemy team. I run Hydro Pump for a high damage water move. This has been switched back and forth for scald and its honestly a toss up. I find I like the higher damage slightly more than the burn chance. Giga drain for STAB which helps get rid of water types walling my other water mons. Ice beam for general coverage hitting the obvious Lati twins and Flying types. Lastly, Rain Dance just so I have a second rain setter in case Poltoed faints.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

rotom.png

Rotom-W was my next choice. I wanted a electric type Pokemon to have another way of hitting bulky water types. The good electric types that came to mind were Thundurus, Rotom-W, Raikou, and Manectric. Speed control wasn't an issue so I got rid of Thundurus. Since Ludicolo isn't weak to grass like Politoed and Swampert I felt like I could have another Pokemon weak to grass and be safe since 3 weakness is manageable depending on my final two Pokemon. I settled on Rotom-W. My Rotom is an offensive presence compared to most Rotoms. While being my bird check, Rotom hits hard and cripples things with Will-O-Wisp. To take advantage of the rain I use Hydro Pump and Thunder. Volt switch for initiative.
Will-O-Wisp is to cripple physical attackers. This set is made to outspeed Landorus-T that is set to outspeed neutral max EVs base 70s. So basically I hit 241.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Tornadus.png

At this point my weaknesses were pretty relevant. Grass types were an extreme annoyance so the next step was a member to hit them hard. I couldn't use a fire type due to the rain interfering. I already had ice coverage and Mega Venusaur walled ice anyway. Flying was the way to go. The choice was between the only two non mega hard hitting flying types in OU, Talonflame and Tornadus. Talonflame provides priority but its weakness to water and rocks was annoying so Tornadus-T became the member. Tornadus is the stall killer with knock off and taunt. It also provides great coverage. Hurricane is the flying STAB that never misses in rain. Knock Off and Taunt provide utility and destroy stall teams. Superpower is the final pick because heat wave is weakened in rain and my final Pokemon gives support for physical Pokemon.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

celebi.png

The final Pokemon I wanted to be unique. Most teams I see use a grass or steel type which takes advantage of the fire being weakened. Most teams end up using either Ferrothorn or Scizor. I wanted something different. I wanted something that would come in and force switch ins while I punish my opponent. I decided to use Celebi since a Keldeo could sweep through my team. Recover is the necessary 50% healing move. Seed bomb for grass STAB. And the unique part of the team, Swords Dance and Baton Pass. These moves allow me to deal with stall better and give sweeping potential to Swampert and in rare cases Tornadus.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Threatlist
Grass Types (Ferrothorn in particular)
Talonflame (Swampert can take a +2 Brave Bird in case Rotom is weakened too much)

Calcs

+4 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 242-285 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Swampert: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Career Ended

Whatever happens, happens
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending Other Metas Circuit Champion
Well first I'd like to congratulate you on your nice rain team! It looks pretty solid, but i do have a couple nitpicks with it.
The first one is that your politoed set seems very reminiscent of An offensive set someone would use in B/W. Though it was very successful there, its inability to use splash plate or choice items really hinder its effectiveness. I propose you use a moveset that best utilizes politoed's bulk and use this set

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Rest
- Haze / Toxic
Though haze can be used to get rid of slower calm minders that boost toxic is always useful and hurts mega slowbro harder than haze. Its basic personal preference though. I feel this set will help ensure your longevity and further your success. Another problem i saw with your team is that it seamed a little weak to both bisharp and latios. I felt you really enjoyed using celebi so i made this set that lures bisharp and can take 2 dracos from latios. Here are the calcs:
- 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Celebi: 162-192 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
- 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Celebi: 212-251 (52.4 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- -2 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Celebi: 107-126 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO 31.1 + 62.1 = 93.2
- +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Colbur Berry Celebi: 341-402 (84.4 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain

Although you may miss out on sweeping with a +2 Swampert, i feel that luring in bisharp and being able to check many threats to rain that you couldn't check before. Alternatively you can use leftovers over colbur to better your recovery. Also Nasty Plot gives you a better answer to bulky CMers that have access to scald, though SD Seed Bomb is good too. If you feel more defense or more special defense is useful then you can change the ev spread, but i highly suggest you use this moveset. And finally I figured that Magneton could be an alternative to Rotom-Wash. It offers a way to trap Mega Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn and it still threatens Talonflame due to it being being faster. It also outspeeds tornadus, Weavile and Offensive starmie which non Scarf Magnezone could not not offer. The bulk that a magnezone offers could be useful and i encourage you to experiment with that, but for now this magneton set is what i think will give you the best results:

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Theres not much else I can say, it seems like a very solid team. Good luck and I hope my adjustments prove useful to you.
Have a nice day! :)

Hey Bailey Bishop, this is a cool rain build, but it has a few issues that can be worked on. Your team lacks three major resists that all teams need to have, those being a Dragon resist, a Fairy resist, and a Dark resist. Due to this, Latios is almost guaranteed a kill whenever it comes in against something like Politoed, your M-Swampert specifically, Celebi, and Rotom-W. Your lack of a Dark resist makes Bisharp extremely problematic if it gets up a Swords Dance against Celebi, and your lack of a Fairy resist makes M-Gardevoir freely be able to click Hyper Voice and get a kill, which is especially a problem if it manages to get Swift Swim through Trace before it mega evolves. My rate will focus on fixing these issues while also fixing a few of your sets that could use some improvement.

First, Politoed is much better utilized with a defensive set rather than an offensive one since it can't hold a boosting item to help with it's lackluster SpA stat, and Rain teams also don't have much of a defensive backbone to fall on outside of Politoed + 1 or 2 other Pokemon. Because of this, you should run a set of Scald / Encore / Perish Song or Toxic / Rest on Politoed. This helps with checking set up Pokemon and still remaining healthy to get rain up as much as possible.

Next, since your Politoed has better longevity with Rest, you don't need to carry Rain Dance on Ludicolo. Ludicolo's niche on Rain is that it has Ice coverage for Grass and Dragon types, Grass STAB for Water types, and also has access to Focus Blast to break Ferrothorn which annoys Rain Teams quite a bit. You should run Focus Blast > Rain Dance on Ludicolo since its access to Focus Blast to break Ferrothorn is pretty much the only real niche it has over Kingdra which can also break through Grass types with Ice Beam and Draco Meteor.

With your current Swampert set you get walled by Grass and Dragon types like Celebi, Amoonguss, Latias, and even Dragonite. Stealth Rock isn't the most optimal move slot on Swampert since it prefers to toss out attacks as much as possible on Rain builds to help wallbreak, so I think you should run Ice Punch > Stealth Rock on M-Swampert, and run Ferrothorn > Celebi. Ferrothorn provides you with both a Dragon resist and Fairy resist, as well as a Stealth Rock setter in place on M-Swampert. I honestly don't think SD Pass Celebi is necessary on this team since it only benefits one Pokemon since Tornadus-T doesn't benefit much from having a stronger Knock Off or Superpower. If you still want the opportunity to boost, then you can consider running Power-Up Punch > Superpower on M-Swampert so you have a set up option.

Bisharp is one of the more underrated threats to Rain teams since quite a few of them don't have a Dark resist to take Knock Off or +2 Sucker Punch. Since your team struggles with Bisharp and also needs a Keldeo check after dropping Celebi, you should run Swords Dance Toxicroak > Rotom-W. This provides you with a water immunity so opposing Pokemon can't freely take advantage of your rain, a Keldeo check, a Dark resist, a form of priority, and a win condition that can set up on M-Venusaur and Amoonguss, which wall a majority of your team. Lastly, for a replacement Flying resist that can still function as a wallbreaker, you should run Nasty Plot Thundurus > Tornadus-T. With Hidden Power Flying it can bait in and beat M-Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Celebi, and it can still break through Chansey like Tornadus-T did with boosted Focus Blasts. Thundurus-I is preferred over Thundurus-T on this build so you can outspeed M-Pinsir which can pose a threat if it gets up a Swords Dance.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Perish Song / Toxic
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch / Superpower
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast

Hope i was able to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)