Pokémon Lycanroc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyranrock is the fastest Stealth Rock user in the franchise without using move tutor.

Lyranrock-Midday @ Focus Sash
Ability - Sandrush
EVs: 252: Atk / 4def /252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Accelerock
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break/Snarl/Thunder Fang/Swaggar

Im not sure if Swaggar is still allowed or not. However you are guaranteeing a Stealth Rock and at least one hit with this set, unless something faster has priority. Setup Stealth Rock, and if youre faster you can use Stone Edge, or the 4th move. Snarl could cripple a sp.atk pokemon before you faint, and Swaggar could potentially give you another turn entirely. Brick Break because Fighting moves have a lot of viability.

Last edited:
Lyranrock is the fastest Stealth Rock user in the franchise.
Hilariously wrong, actually, since by technicality the fastest Stealth Rock user in the franchise is Deoxys-S. What you probably meant to say was "fastest Stealth Rock user in OU."

But even knowing that Deoxys is banned, there are a few legal mons faster than it: Aerodactyl, regular Dugtrio and Azelf(the latter two via the unreleased Pokebank).

I mean I really don't care in the end since Lycanroc isn't getting an OU analysis but maybe word your sentences a little better in the future(and fact-check).

What you probably meant to say was "fastest Stealth Rock user in OU."
Yes, at the moment there is nothing faster that can learn Stealth Rock without using the move tutor, which if I am correct is not available unless you transfer from previous games. Aerodactyl, Dugtrio, and Azelf all have to use move tutor which is not available unless you tranfer from older generations.

I will however edit since it is misleading. My apologies.

Last edited:
Alola Recreant,

The following set looks to be a viable option worth considering in lower tiers. It's access to Swords Dance [SD], Sucker Punch, and other coverage gives it the ability to play the role of a sweeper. That said, since Lycanroc-M lacks the raw power and defensive prowess needed, I believe this set to be limited to RU and lower tiers.

[RU Sweeper]
Lycanroc-Midnight (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Brick Break / Fire Fang
Sucker Punch

Set explanation and details:
Available On Request.

You could try making a Choice Scarf set. Most Choice Scarfers are 80~100 base speed mons.

Hilariously wrong, actually, since by technicality the fastest Stealth Rock user in the franchise is Deoxys-S. What you probably meant to say was "fastest Stealth Rock user in OU."

But even knowing that Deoxys is banned, there are a few legal mons faster than it: Aerodactyl, regular Dugtrio and Azelf(the latter two via the unreleased Pokebank).

I mean I really don't care in the end since Lycanroc isn't getting an OU analysis but maybe word your sentences a little better in the future(and fact-check).
Well it might be one of the fastest if it's ability is Sandrush and is setting up during Sandstorm/Sand Stream. Of course I'm just splitting hairs I suppose.

I've been tinkering with offensive doggo a bit and found that his 115 Atk just isn't quite enough to get guaranteed kills, even if Stone Miss doesn't miss. And I don't want to waste my Choice Band on Stone Miss.

This was my solution to the power problem:

Lycanroc-Midday @ Rockium-Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Accelerock
- Sucker Punch/Stealth Rock/Taunt

Basically, use the 270 base STAB Z-move to get 1 kill. Then spam Accelerock/Sucker punch until it dies. Fire Fang to pick off weakened Steel-types. Stone Miss as possible win con after having used Z-move. SR or Taunt if you really feel like it.

I love Lycanroc's design, but if you want to use it in a non-sash lead role, it's going to have its job in UU/RU.

I'm having trouble justifying Fire Fang taking up a move slot.

- Both Fire Fang and Brick Break cover Steel. Fire Fang doubles up on coverage with Rock by hitting Ice and Bug types, only adding Grass coverage, while Brick Break adds coverage for Normals, Darks, and fellow Rocks.

- I get that Fire quad hits Ferrothorn and Scizor, but you're not going to kill any Scizor worth its salt anyway without a Focus Sash, thanks to Bullet Punch. Ferrothorn I can maybe see, but a full move slot just for one threat? Ferrothorn is already x2 from Brick Break as well, so if you're that worried about it, run Swords Dance and pick up extra power against other setup fodder.

- Given taking Brick Break, Crunch looks like a more solid coverage . Against x2 weak it outdamages Stone Edge, and covers stuff like Gengar, Slowbro, Metagross (barring Bullet Punch), and Latia/os.

Am I missing something?

Set I plan to run:

Lycanroc-Mid @ Life Orb / Choice Band
252 Atk/Spe, Jolly
Stone Edge
Brick Break
Accelerock
Crunch / Swords Dance (only if Life Orb)

Lycanroc is a one of my favorite pokemon from a design aspect from this generation. I love both forms, especially the midnight form. The only niche that this pokemon has pre-bank is being the fastest S-rocker in the meta. Once bank rolls around then Aero will usurp that throne. It is such a shame that a badass pokemon has a such a barren, terrible movepool. This is just another pokemon where gamefreak really dropped the ball on. The only thing this pokemon can do post bank is be a lower tier sand sweeper with an exclusive priority move. Excadrill really outclasses this pokemon as a sand sweeper.

UU/RU/NU/WhateverU hype.
Anyway, between a new Sand Setter, Lycanroc, Flygon's buff and ZyDog, the future looks bright for Sand in the Lower tiers, especially since they don't have to use Hippopotas anymore, and they got some cool abusers.

Lycanroc is a one of my favorite pokemon from a design aspect from this generation. I love both forms, especially the midnight form. The only niche that this pokemon has pre-bank is being the fastest S-rocker in the meta. Once bank rolls around then Aero will usurp that throne. It is such a shame that a badass pokemon has a such a barren, terrible movepool. This is just another pokemon where gamefreak really dropped the ball on. The only thing this pokemon can do post bank is be a lower tier sand sweeper with an exclusive priority move. Excadrill really outclasses this pokemon as a sand sweeper.
Yeah I agree with all of this. Still a cool pokemon in terms of design. He at least has the rare stealth rock + taunt + >110 base speed combo along with Azelf and Aerodactyl. Give him a sash and he at least does this fine. One can only hope he gets something from future move tutors though.

Yeah I just hope they diversify the move tutors this gen. If this thing got psychic fangs it would so nice. I would just run band and go to town. This is wishful thinking. lol

Yeah I agree with all of this. Still a cool pokemon in terms of design. He at least has the rare stealth rock + taunt + >110 base speed combo along with Azelf and Aerodactyl. Give him a sash and he at least does this fine. One can only hope he gets something from future move tutors though.
One thing Lycanroc has over Azelf and Aerodactyl is a priority attack, which, while only 40 BP, is STAB and coming off a respectable Attack stat. Since Lycanroc is faster than almost any priority user, it's almost guaranteed to be able to do one last bit of damage before falling, or potentially even revenge kill a weakened foe.
252 Atk Lycanroc-Midday Accelerock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Scizor: 60-72 (17.4 - 20.9%)

so im just experimenting with midnight and wanted to know what people thought

Lycanroc-midnigh @ leftovers (still not sure)
Ability: keen eye
EVs: 4 hp/252 atk/252 def
Jolly
- substitute
-bulk up
-rock slide
-sucker punch

i know the nature and ability arn't the best but its what i have to work with right now

I´ve found that this set for Midnight Lycanroc is actually really good for countering sleep status spammers:

Lycanroc - Midnight Form Focus sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Special Defense / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
Moveset:
- Rock Polish
- Sword Dance
- Crunch
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge (I prefer Rock Slide due to accuracy.)

I've started using this, and I've found this is actually really useful for a couple of sweeps if you are able to pull off a couple of rock polishes and sword dances. Also one of the best (that I'VE found) to counter sleep spammers such as Darkrai and Spore Smeargles.
Any thoughts on this set? Placement?

I´ve found that this set for Midnight Lycanroc is actually really good for countering sleep status spammers:

Moveset:
- Rock Polish
- Sword Dance
- Crunch

I've started using this, and I've found this is actually really useful for a couple of sweeps if you are able to pull off a couple of rock polishes and sword dances. Also one of the best (that I'VE found) to counter sleep spammers such as Darkrai and Spore Smeargles.
He gets no guard. Just use that and stone edge. Sleep isnt that popular right now

Moveset:
- Rock Polish
- Sword Dance
- Crunch

As mentioned above with access to No Guard its really difficult to justify vital spirit overall even in PU (where its destined to drop)

It likely will have to use Brick Break in order to bypass common Rock Resists and will likely use SD,Stone Edge,Sucker Punch,Brick Break or a Choice Band/Scarf set depending on what the PU meta looks like with all sets utilizing No Guard+Stone Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)