ORAS UU M-Sceptile on the rise

Gday everyone LaZboii here,
I´ve been lurking around on Smogon for about a month now and finally decided to post a team in order to stop being trash become a better player overall. The team has an acceptable record of 21-4 so I decided to come here to get more advice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started of with Mega-Sceptile because I felt like it would work pretty well in a meta full of bulky waters and dragon types.

After that I wanted smth that would both benefit from bulky waters being removed while also handling physical walls and fairy/steel types that bother m-sceptile

I still needed a fire check, a phazer, rocks and a m-aero check so pert was the obvious answer there.

Was still lacking hazard removal as well as a secondary check for the tons of physical attackers out there because pert is worn down pretty easily. Wanted to retain some wallbreaking capability so mence it was.

I still needed a secondary rock/ice/dragon type check and also wanted smth to handle the likes of umbreon and stall in general better. Serves as a wincon aswell.

Originally had scarfed gardevoir here to stop dragons from spamming dracos and having a revenge killer, but bulky setup was a problem so I added whimsi(Thx to arifeen for the idea)

The Team:

Sceptile-Mega @Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse

Mega-Sceptile has a great speed stat, combined with horrendous SpA this thing can clean a lot of weakened teams. I felt like it would work well in this meta dominated by bulky water types. It synergizes with Entei quite nicely as it can remove bulky water and ground types for Entei, can be used as a scald switch-in and works as an electric immunity that stops volt switch or at least makes my opponent hesitate when clicking it. On top of that it helps to open doors for a potential cobalion sweep and benefits from mences wallbreaking a lot. I went with timid over modest mainly because of scarf chandelure.

Entei@Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

-Sacred Fire
-Stone Edge
-Extreme Speed
-Flare Blitz

Entei is here as my answer to steel types that would otherwise stop Mega-Sceptile like Bronzong or forry. Burning fat psychic types like cress is really helpful aswell. It also provides the team with priority Extreme Speed as well as spreading those 50% burns. As mentioned above it benefits from bulky water and ground types being removed and might sometimes even be able to clean a game by itself. It can also help to prepare for a cobalion sweep by weakening said ground/water types. Stone Edge to handle the flying types that can be problematic for this team a bit better.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Atk
Relaxed Nature

-Scald
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

Next up we have my obligatory Stealth Rocker and Fire/physical attacker-check. It also acts as my phazer if I absolutely need to get rid of a mon that has already setup a dd or a calm mind. It can handle a lot of the ice types that would bother mence/sceptile and therefor is a crucial member of the team. The set is pretty much the standard Defensive Swampert set with Scald and Earthquake as its main STAB moves and Rocks to ensure certain KOs or get chip damage. It checks stuff like M-Aero, Mamo etc. decently. It is somewhat shaky though as it has no real form of recovery apart from lefties and gets worn down in a longer match especially after lefties were knocked off.

Salamence@Life orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 Atk
Naive Nature

-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Iron Tail
-Defog

Salamence is mainly here to provide Defog while still being able to drop powerful dracos and weaken a lot of stuff severely. It beats a lot of the common rockers which helps keep hazards away from my side of the field. Due to intimidat it helps to check flying types and other physical attackers if needed and can back up Swampert in certain cases. Mence can take a lot of grass type attacks for swampert and rounds out my defensive backbone. Iron tail is here to lure in fairies and kill or weaken them obviously though I might want to swap it out for roost to enable mence to switch in more often.

Cobalion@Leftovers
Abilitiy: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4Hp
Nature Jolly

-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Iron Head
-Substitute

Cobalion is here to help me beat stall more reliably. It also resists Rock/ice and can even be used as a draco switchin. It benefits from M-Scept and Entei removing its counters and often sweeps lategame after getting up an SD. Leftovers in order to help survive chip damage and take priority attacks better. It also works as a great knock off switch-in and tears walls like umbreon/blissey apart. Helps with the stall matchup a lot as it can sub on status moves and then proceed to sd up. In theory sableye stops it but gardevoir can take out sableye easily.

Gardevoir@Choice Scarf
Ablility: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Nature Timid

-Moonblast
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Trick

Gardevoir is here to stop dragons from coming in over and over and clicking their STAB moves repeatedly. It also helps to revenge kill many threats due to scarf (for some reason scarf garde catches a lot of people off guard). Over the time I realised that bulky setup is a problem and after Arifeen pointed it out to me one more time I´m thinking about replacing this with a Yache Berry Whimicott which would enable me to encore them into their setup move but I´m not 100% sure about this change and would love to hear your opinions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats it for the team so far I hope you like it at least a bit and I´m looking forward to any criticism that helps me improve it. Thx to Arifeen in advance :]

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Entei @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi.
  • ur pretty weak to zapdos so run stone edge > sub on cobalion. it lures gyara too which is also a pretty annoying mon for you to deal with.
  • I completely disagree with Arifeen about running whimsicott. your team has precious little for stall and as such I believe you should be running Calm Mind Gardevoir > Choice Scarf. Gives you far more room to play around stall. replace trick (duh). you can run substitute over focus blast because you have more than enough ways of handling steel types. this is also helpful in the fact that it lets you avoid status
  • gyara is pretty threatening too so try a defensive defog zappy > mence. gives you a more reliable check to cobalion as well. Swampert is capable of dealing with Fire types so between pert, stone edge coba, your own entei they are pretty much covered. oh yh i suggested hp ice on it to lure scept.
  • you might also wanna try running modest sceptile since it is your primary way of breaking down bulky water types. however, keeping a timid nature would be beneficial for outpacing opposing sceptile which are commonly running modest nowadays so i'd consider this change to be optional.
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

hope this helps

Last edited:

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey LaZboi, and welcome to Smogon! This is a pretty cool looking team, though I definitely see a few holes that could use patching up. Hydreigon gives your team a lot of trouble seeing as how you have zero 100% safe switch-ins and no way to reliably revenge kill scarf variants, so I'd like to make a couple suggestions that will improve your matchup versus it:
  • While Gardevoir deters Hydreigon from clicking Draco Meteor, it cannot reliably switch into it seeing as how Dark Pulse can 2HKO after rocks. I think changing Gardevoir to Calm Mind Florges would help your team a lot. Florges is a much more reliable switch-in to Hydreigon and also provides your team with a solid check to Mega Blastoise and other powerful special attackers. Calm Mind provides you with a late game win condition that can easily clean teams after its checks are removed. Florges also provides your team with cleric support, which is always nice.
  • I agree with the above suggestions to change Salamence to Zapdos and replacing Substitute with Stone Edge on Cobalion for similar reasons.
  • The nature of your Sceptile is really a toss-up, as both have their benefits. However, with Florges and Zapdos on the team you have reliable answers to opposing Mega Sceptile and Crobat, so I don't think the speed you gain with Timid is necessary anymore. Because of this, I'd suggest making Sceptile Modest and replacing Giga Drain with Energy Ball. While Energy Ball does not provide Sceptile with recovery, it is quite a bit stronger than Giga Drain and scores some notable KO's with a Modest Nature. For example, if standard physically defensive Florges switches in with anything less than full health, Energy Ball + Leaf Storm KO's it after rocks.
With those suggestions in mind, I believe you have a pretty solid team that will perform well in the current metagame. Good luck with everything!
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Thx a lot to both raters, I am really thankful :]
As far as changes go I already implemented the changes and really like them so far. One question what do the 40 speed on zapdos creep?

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Thx a lot to both raters, I am really thankful :]
As far as changes go I already implemented the changes and really like them so far. One question what do the 40 speed on zapdos creep?
Creeps other base 100s and max speed neutral natured base 70s like Hoopa and Metagross

Hello,

I have made a very similar team that also has a fire grass water offensive core (mega scep, cb entei and dd gatr), I feel that the advice given is also very relevant for me. :)
the big diffirence is that I use a dragon dance feraligatr over swampert.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

I feel that gatr has better offensive pressure than swampert and can help with zapdos if you can set up 1 DD on an other mon.

for the rocks I use a lead cobalion set :
While I like the idea of stone edge for Zapdos, I don't have a place to put it.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Also I used to run calm mind florges but after trying cm gardevoir as suggested by cyndaquil I swapped florges out :)
I'm not 100% sure on where to put the EV's on cm gardevoir however.

If you're interested in trying out my team :
Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Substitute

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain

Entei @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

I have been having some good succes with my team also, the fire water grass core is very solid.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)