Mac OS X 10.5.8 Problems

Well, when running ShoddyBattle in Java 1.5, I do get the stretched screen problem. I tried doing what was suggested, which was running it in Java 1.6 or 1.4. Since I was unable to find a 32-bit version of Java 1.6, I decided to try launching it in 1.4, which was what I used to use before 1.5 was released. Only now, I get this error:

I click "Details" an am shown this:

I see that it tells me the error, but I have no idea what that means or how to fix it. If anyone can successfully run ShoddyBattle on a Mac, could you tell me what you're doing?

Thanks,
~Fatality

I have two computers with the same operating system, mac osx 10.5.x (whatever the most recent "x" is), and on one of the two computers I get that exact same error (it didn't always give the error– it just happened one day for no reason that I could discern), while on the other it works perfectly. I tried reinstalling Shoddy and it didn't help. So honestly I'm not sure what to tell you.

Is the computer that is having the problem Intel-based, or not? I have an old iBook G4 from like 2004. And ShoddyBattle used to work, and after the Java 1.5 update I haven't been able to get it going again since.

Is the computer that is having the problem Intel-based, or not? I have an old iBook G4 from like 2004. And ShoddyBattle used to work, and after the Java 1.5 update I haven't been able to get it going again since.
The computers are both intel-based. I have the default java version set to 1.4.something on both.... would that make a difference?

It's 1.4.2, and I'm not sure to be honest. But this shows that the problem occurs on both PowerPC and Intel-based machines. So yeah... That really sucks.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It looks like this is a bug with the new Java 1.5 update. Unfortunately, there's really not much to do except for wait for apple to release a patch, unless you can figure out how to get an older version installed.

Wow, I just realized that the difference between my two computers is that I haven't gotten the java update on the one on which shoddy works. That must be the problem.

@bearzly, you mean that once you have 1.5, in that update they also messed up 1.4? Because that error only shows up when you tell it to use 1.4 for Java applications, it'll still start fine in 1.5, but the battle window is all messed up.

I'm pretty sure I just solved the problem. I usually run Shoddy on 1.4.2 but on the computer on which it hasn't been working, I switched it to Java SE 6 (64 Bit) and not only does the program run, the screen isn't stretched like it is in 5.0. I hope this works for you too.

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I'm pretty sure I just solved the problem. I usually run Shoddy on 1.4.2 but on the computer on which it hasn't been working, I switched it to Java SE 6 (64 Bit) and not only does the program run, the screen isn't stretched like it is in 5.0. I hope this works for you too.
I had these problems on my mac too

Java SE 6 is what i got to make it work so this should work

OK cool. On a somewhat related issue, I'd also like to note that when it was on 1.4.2, I tried every listed method for downloading the CAP sprites and nothing worked. When I switched it to SE 6, I simply downloaded the sprites, double-clicked and it worked fine. Not sure if this is the right place to post that, lol.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned it, I can't find, and do not believe there exists, a 32-bit version of Java 6. I heard for sure that was the fix, but sadly only the Intel Macs can use it. Glad it worked for you though. I'm downloading all the old versions of Java for 10.5 until I get the one that works. I'll post a link to it.

oh noess...

Oh, I don't think I mentioned it, I can't find, and do not believe there exists, a 32-bit version of Java 6. I heard for sure that was the fix, but sadly only the Intel Macs can use it. Glad it worked for you though. I'm downloading all the old versions of Java for 10.5 until I get the one that works. I'll post a link to it.
Tell me if it works,and have fun downloading :p

I wasn't able to find the update that was before Java 5, but I'm going to reinstall leopard tomorrow, because I know that will work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)