Machamp (Full Revamp) +

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Reserving. Although Machamp hasn't really gained anything from Platinum, I feel the current analysis needs an overhaul to take the changes in the metagame into account.

Obviously, the most notable change that needs to be addressed is the addition of the Rotom Formes, which pretty much counter Machamp thanks to high defenses, immunity to Fighting STAB, and the ability to take even super effective hits from Payback pretty well thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Reflect.

There are several other things that also need to be changed, but while I try to get this done, I would like to hear some thoughts about this.

i dont think the rotom formes can switch in on a SE payback very well

394 Atk vs 321 Def & 304 HP (100 Base Power): 266 - 314 (87.50%-103.29%)
(Bold 252 HP 168 Def)
thats a guaranteed ohko with stealth rock.

edit: made a mistake in the damage calculation

it should be
58.55%-69.08%
instead

Ive been running a Careful Guts Sleep Talk set on shoddy and it hasnt had many problems with Rotom-A. It also deals with Gengar adequetly. I can do some damage calcs I guess.

On a careful 252 HP/0SpDef Machamp, Gengar does a max of 42%. While it obviously isnt a good special wall Careful Helps it take hits that a normal 'tank' could.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it was pretty obvious from the OP that Bass was implying you would come in on something other then PayBack and set up a Reflect or Will-O-Wisp Machamp as it Paybacks.

Obviously, the most notable change that needs to be addressed is the addition of the Rotom Formes, which pretty much counter Machamp thanks to high defenses, immunity to Fighting STAB, and the ability to take even super effective hits from Payback pretty well thanks to Will-o-Wisp and Reflect.
Edit: This is also why it is generally wise to not post until someone has at least included some update in a reservation thread; otherwise we end up discussing unnecessary things like this.

Encore and Bulk Up sets should be revisited. Both work pretty well, especially since Confusion lets Machamp set up pretty easily.

Bass

Brother in arms
Alright, here's the first draft of the analysis. This is actually my first peer edit, so comments and advice are much appreciated.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/machamp

[SET]
name: RestTalker
move1: DynamicPunch
move2: Payback / Stone Edge / Ice Punch
move3: Rest
move4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
ability: No Guard
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The RestTalker has generally been the standard set for Machamp during previous generations, and it continues to remain so. This set allows Machamp to not only adequately absorb status from your opponent, but also complement the low PP of its powerful STAB Fighting moves.</p>

<p>Generally, the STAB move of preference is DynamicPunch, which will never miss thanks to Machamp's unique ability No Guard. Being able to induce confusion 100% of the time is also useful against several potential switch-ins such as Salamence and Gyarados because it makes it more difficult for them to set up. However, you may opt to use Guts instead of No Guard because it makes Machamp's attacks 1.5x stronger when it is asleep. In this case, Low Kick is your best option because DynamicPunch would not have perfect accuracy.</p>

<p>Your second attacking move should allow Machamp to have the most optimal type coverage. Payback is arguably the best choice because Bulky Ghost-types such as Rotom-A enjoy switching in on their immunity to DynamicPunch. However, Payback will always 2HKO it, and even the potential Will-O-Wisp is not a problem thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. Stone Edge is also a good option as it allows Machamp to hit Gyarados, Salamence, and Zapdos, whom resist Fighting, for super effective damage. Finally, Ice Punch allows Machamp to beat Gliscor, who otherwise walls it completely. It also provides an OHKO against a 120 HP / 0 Def Salamence 100% of the time with Intimidate and Stealth Rock factored in, which is something Stone Edge cannot do.</p>

<p>The 252 EVs in HP ensure maximum durability as well as Leftovers recovery. The 4 Speed EVs allow Machamp to out-speed a minimum Speed Blissey.</p>

[SET]
name: Anti-Lead
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Encore
move 3: DynamicPunch
move 4: Stone Edge / Payback
item: Lum Berry
evs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
ivs: 19 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Machamp to potentially shut down many common leads, such as Azelf, Roserade, Gengar, and Bronzong. This is largely made possible through the combination of Substitute and Encore.</p>

<p>How this set is used will depend on what lead you are facing, though it is generally a good idea to use Substitute first, as you will be able to scout your opponent's first move. You may then use Encore to keep your opponent stuck on their previous move, which will usually force them to switch, especially if they used a non-attacking move. However, it is a better idea to use Encore first when you are up against faster leads that carry super effective moves, such as Azelf. Status moves from faster leads are not a problem thanks to Lum Berry. From there, you are able to attack with DynamicPunch from behind a substitute, which will be pretty difficult to break thanks to confusion.</p>

<p>As with the RestTalker set, your secondary attacking move should allow Machamp to have the best type coverage possible. Stone Edge is a good option against Salamence, Gyarados, and Zapdos. The possibility of them attempting to stall you out with Roost or Rest is also less of an issue thanks to Encore. Payback is also useful because it will always OHKO Gengar and Azelf, as well as 2HKO Rotom-A.</p>

<p>The 96 EVs in Special Defense will guarantee Machamp's survival against an unboosted Psychic from Modest Azelf. 19 IVs in Speed also reduces the base power of Bronzong's Gyro Ball to 47, which will never break Machamp's substitute.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: DynamicPunch
move 3: Stone Edge / Ice Punch
move 4: Payback / ThunderPunch
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Bulk Up, Machamp can be quite a threat to your opponent if their faster special sweepers, such as Azelf, Jirachi, and Togekiss, are out of play. DynamicPunch and Bulk Up go hand in hand because the possibility of your opponent being unable to attack you in their confusion can buy you ample time to set up. As always, your remaining options for attacking moves are virtually a matter of preference, though the best combination of these moves would be Ice Punch and ThunderPunch or Stone Edge and Payback. If you are satisfied with only one other attacking move, then you may consider using Encore, as it gives you a wider opportunity to Bulk Up safely.</p>

<p>Overall, the main flaw in this set is that your sweep is easily thwarted by the large number of sweepers in standard that outspeed you. With 128 EVs in Speed, you will always outspeed minimum Speed Skarmory, though Paralysis support and possibly Agility boosts will give this set the most potential.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Payback
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: ThunderPunch
item: Choice Band
ability: Guts
evs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Band, Machamp reaches an attack stat of 591. This combined with STAB Close Combat and the fantastic coverage offered by your remaining moves means that very few Pokemon can safely switch into this set.</p>

<p>With 120 base power and STAB, a Choice Band Close Combat will 2HKO any Pokemon that doesn't possess a resistance or immunity to Fighting. Cross Chop, Low Kick, and DynamicPunch are possible options for STAB, but the sheer power offered by Close Combat is what makes this set so fearsome. Even the drops in both of your defenses afterwards are not an issue as this is primarily a hit and run set. With 128 Speed EVs, you will outrun minimum Speed Skarmory, so you will not have to worry about it hitting you with its STAB Flying attacks. Payback will do heavy damage to the Bulky Ghost and Psychic types, such as Rotom-A and Cresselia. Ice Punch hits Salamence and Gliscor, who otherwise wall you, and ThunderPunch is in your last slot to hit Gyarados.</p>

<p>Because all of your moves have 100% accuracy, it is not necessary to choose No Guard as your primary ability, so Guts is the better choice. If you manage to switch in on a status move like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder-Wave, you will have the 1.5x boost from Guts alongside the boost from Choice Band, making Machamp an even bigger threat to unprepared opponents.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One of the worst traits about Machamp is that it is often too slow to sweep opponents, so it is easily revenge killed by faster opponents. With the given EVs and nature, Machamp hits 340 Speed with a Choice Scarf, which is enough to outspeed Adamant Dugtrio, as well as Bulky Gyarados and Adamant Tyranitar after 1 Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>As with the the Choice Band set, the given moves allow for the best type coverage possible. Guts is also the preferred ability, as the possibility of a scarfed Machamp with an additional attack boost is simply too useful to ignore, especially because many of Machamp's common switch-ins carry Will-O-Wisp. If you wish to use DynamicPunch as your primary STAB move instead of Close Combat, then you may use No Guard instead.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Fire Punch is your best option against Heracross, though Heracross already has trouble switching into DynamicPunch due to confusion, and Stone Edge will 2HKO Heracross anyway. Fire Blast is a better option as it hits Skarmory and Forretress much harder than Fire Punch, though it will not 2HKO Skarmory or OHKO Forretress respectively without some EV investment in Special Attack. It also never misses thanks to No Guard. Bullet Punch can help you finish off weakened sweepers as it has priority, though its lackluster damage output makes it tough to recommend.</p>

[EVs]

<p>Because Machamp is a powerful attacker, it is a good idea to place 252 EVs into Attack on most sets. Where to invest the remaining EVs is trickier, however, and mainly depends on what set you are using, although they are primarily split among HP and Speed.</p>

<p>As far as Speed goes, 4 Speed EVs will be enough to beat minimum Speed Blissey, which is the standard for the RestTalk set. 128 Speed EVs (with a neutral nature) will be enough to outrun Skarmory, which is quite useful on the Choice Band and Bulk Up sets. Finally, 242 Speed EVs on the Choice Scarf set will outspeed Adamant Dugtrio.</p>

<p>Although 252 HP EVs on the RestTalk set is bulky enough for most purposes, you may want to consider 108 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe as an alternative spread, primarily because it is more able to take repeated beatings from Tyranitar and Rhyperior.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>The main reason anyone would use Machamp over its fellow Fighting-types would be to take advantage of its unique ability, No Guard. STAB DynamicPunch that never misses, backed my a monstrous Attack stat, make Machamp very difficult to switch into. Unfortunately, it is generally outclassed by the likes of Heracross and Lucario when it comes to sweeping, as they are much faster. However, Machamp's superior defenses make him a much more reliable check against Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Rhyperior. It also possesses a very wide movepool that not only offers great type coverage but also some interesting support options such as Encore. Overall, Machamp is very useful if you play it to its strengths.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Machamp is a very difficult Pokemon to counter overall, as you will be unable to attack 50% of the time if you are hit by DyanmicPunch. Thus, the best switch-ins against Machamp are bulky Ghost-type Pokemon as they are immune to Machamp's Fighting STAB. Spiritomb is the best choice as it is not weak to any of Machamp's attacks. Pressure will also deplete Machamp's PP pretty quickly, due to the fact that Machamp's STAB moves, along with Stone Edge, have low PP. Dusknoir works in a similar manner, although it takes super effective damage from Payback. However, it won't do that much damage unless it hits you on the switch, as Dusknoir is much slower than Machamp, leaving Payback with a mere 50 base power. Rotom-A doesn't like Payback at all as it is faster (leaving Payback with 100 base power against it), but it can set up Reflect and handle the rest of Machamp's moves with ease.</p>

<p>Any defensive Pokemon that resists Fighting is also a fairly good check against Machamp, though the confusion induced by DynamicPunch makes things a little bit more difficult. Slowbro is an exception, as it is immune to the effects of DynamicPunch thanks to Own Tempo. Even Choice Banded ThunderPunch fails to 2HKO the standard Slowbro, and it can easily recover thanks to Slack Off. Celebi and Cresselia are also good checks to Machamp. Being confused by DynamicPunch can be bothersome, but they can easily stall Machamp with Reflect. They can also hit it hard with STAB Psychic. Gliscor pretty much walls it if it lacks Ice Punch, and Gyarados is also a good switch-in thanks to Intimidate, as long as it doesn't have ThunderPunch or Stone Edge.</p>

<p>In general, the most reliable method for beating Machamp is taking advantage of its mediocre Speed. It is very easily revenge killed by faster sweepers, especially those that pack super effective moves. This is particularly true for the Choice Band set, as although it dents almost everything with Close Combat, the resulting Defense drops leave Machamp wide open.</p>

Notes:

*I ordered the sets based on Doug's usage statistics from November.
**RaikouLover, you mentioned that you had an alternate EV Spread for Bulk Up Machamp, would you mind telling me?

I just thought I would quickly inform you on a set I've run with good success involving Encore.

set: Encore
move 1: Encore
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Dynamicpunch
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Lefovers
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Max Speed (with Adamant) is required to beat neutral 0 Speed Rotom-Formes. The main point of this set is to attack first while the opponent switches Rotom-x in. Now you set up a Substitute (outspeeding it) as it Will-o-Wisps (or Reflects). Now you proceed to Encore. The opponent is now forced to send in a Pokemon probably not meant to counter it into battle against it now with a Sub intact and switching into an attack.

The moves all work well together. As previously mentioned, Encore and Substitute go hand-in-hand, but also Substitute and Dynamicpunch is a good combination to get free subs up while the opponent is confused.

Just leaving options open, not sure completely if it is viable enough.

Bass

Brother in arms
Right now, I think I'll leave Encore in Other Options. Your sets seems too specialized in that it is solely designed to set up against your opponent's Rotom-A. Even then, it will only work properly if you outspeed Rotom-A, but most of them run at least 88 Speed to beat Scizor, so they will still be getting in that Will-O-Wisp against you before you can set up a substitute.

The set works well because of Substitute+Confusion+Encore and can be quite frustrating for opponents to take down, regardless of if they are Rotom or not. I see where you are coming from, though, and the desicion is yours.

I do, however, think that Encore is quite useful on the lead set. You can simply Encore a Stealth Rock and force a switch, and stuff. Anyway, I think it is at least Set Comments worthy.

Encore is definately usable on the lead set. That's probably Machamp's best use of it. I suppose an Encore + Bulk Up deserves a mention in other options, but Encoring for the anti-lead is very useful as it forces Azelf and company out, then your opponent has to deal with a Machamp sitting behind a sub. Faster pokemon will get confused or paybacked as you switch out, slower pokemon will get confused and find themselves struggling to break Machamp's sub.

On the ResTalk set, I found 252 HP/0 Def unable to stop the thing it's meant to stop; Tyranitar. A Choice Band Earthquake from Tyranitar does 57.55%-67.71% to the standard 252 HP/0 Def Machamp. A spread of 252 HP/36 Atk/216 Def/6 Spe takes hits better from Tyranitar and such. The same Choice Band Earthquake does 45.05%-53.13% to 252 HP/216 Def Machamp. Machamp still has a decent 335 Atk stat.

Another option is to go Impish on the same Machamp, in which a Choice Band Earthquake does a measly 41.15%-48.44%. Machamp does posses an Atk stat of 305, which still OHKOs Tyranitar with ease.

Focus Punch also does 86.20%-101.56% to the standard 252 HP/0 Def Machamp, whereas the same Focus Punch only does 67.71%-79.69% to the 252 HP/216 Def spread. If one opts to use 252 HP/216 Def @ Impish, Focus Punch does 61.46%-72.40%.

It's an option if you want a bulkier ResTalker, and a better Tyranitar counter overall. It could be mentioned as a secondary spread. Guts might be a better Ability here if you feel the need to hit harder.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You could just mention Cross Chop in the set comments instead of putting it on the actual set. It's extremely uncommon, appearing on less than 5.8% of Machamp, according to Doug's stats. Besides, automatic confusion seems better in most situations than a 12.5% chance of having a critical hit instead of 6.25%. Additionally, only 6.9% of Machamp have Guts, so that's not particularly common either.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Valantaro if you are looking to 100% counter Tyranitar you're better off with Hariyama anyway.

On No Guard, DynamicPunch > Cross Chop. On Guts, Low Kick is probably better too. I see no need for it.

Valantaro if you are looking to 100% counter Tyranitar you're better off with Hariyama anyway.

On No Guard, DynamicPunch > Cross Chop. On Guts, Low Kick is probably better too. I see no need for it.
I know that, I'm just saying if you're gonna mention Machamp as a Tyranitar counter, you might as well give it a spread that actually counters its most common set.

I agree with the second portion of your post as well.

Bass

Brother in arms
Alright, I have removed Cross Chop from the actual set as Great Sage suggested, but I also agreed with Chris that Low Kick is actually a superior option to Cross Chop to begin with, so I am going to leave Cross Chop out of the set comments entirely and mention Low Kick instead.

I must agree, Encore sets like diinbong mentioned are very viable. Something slower like Spiritomb, Dusknoir, or sometimes even a Blissey who has lost the will to live try to status you, you Substitute. Then encore their move.

Now they must switch. Most likely it is their best counter to your Machamp, so now they are going to be bring in a Pokemon that can't counter you as well. In addition, you've got a sub up and can confuse them to get another subsitute up.

It's really an amazing set. Also, Bulk Up in place of Encore can work with some different EVs. Confuse something, bulk up as they hurt themselves, or set up a sub and just wall the heck of 'em.

Oh, and for the RestTalking set you could mention how now Stone Edge will never miss so you don't have to fret about the accuracy.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Encore is simply 'Other Options' material - it can be quite helpful in letting the Bulk Up Machamp set up, but the main use of it is on the Lead Machamp set. I've got quite a bit on Encore Lead Machamp here from a while back, which you might want to have a look at. Machamp with Encore is definitely a more effective lead than the current lead set in the analysis.

Bass

Brother in arms
Because of the convincing posts from Legacy Raider and RaikouLover regarding Encore, I have decided to include it on the Anti-Lead set. I would like to thank Legacy Raider in particular for the set itself. Here's take one of the Anti-Lead analysis:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Machamp to potentially shut down many common leads, such as Azelf, Roserade, Gengar, and Bronzong. This is largely made possible through the combination of Substitute and Encore.</p>

<p>How this set is used will depend on what lead you are facing, though it is generally a good idea to use Substitute first, as you will be able to scout your opponent's first move. You may then use Encore to keep your opponent stuck on their previous move, which will usually force them to switch, especially if they used a non-attacking move. However, it is a better idea to use Encore first when you are up against faster leads that carry super effective moves, such as Azelf. Status moves from faster leads are not a problem thanks to Lum Berry. From there, you are able to attack with DynamicPunch from behind a substitute, which will be pretty difficult to break thanks to confusion.</p>

<p>As with the RestTalker set, your secondary attacking move should allow Machamp for the best type coverage possible. Stone Edge is a good option against Salamence, Gyarados, and Zapdos. The possibility of them attempting to stall you out with Roost or Rest is also less of an issue thanks to Encore. Payback is also useful because it will always OHKO Gengar and Azelf, as well as 2HKO Rotom-A.</p>

<p>The 96 EVs in Special Defense will guarantee Machamp's survival against an unboosted Psychic from Modest Azelf. 19 IVs in Speed also reduces the base power of Bronzong's Gyro Ball to 47, which will never break Machamp's substitute.</p>

Bass

Brother in arms
Alright, the entire analysis is done, content wise. I would appreciate it if someone could edit it for grammar. If any of you guys have suggestions, please also post them.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh Bass, can I make one final suggestion? On the Bulk Up set, I find a spread of 252 HP, 128 Atk, 128 Spe more effective than max attack. From personal experience I have found that the bulk provided by the max HP is more useful than the slight raise in damage, as there are no O/2HKOs that Machamp misses out on with this spread (I think).

I'm going to edit in any grammar things into this post.

EDIT: There's nothing I could pick up on the grammar. It's very well written.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I run an even bulkier Machamp than that, with 16 attack EVs for the extra point and the remaining EVs in defense to help take hits from Tyranitar, Gyarados, and the like. With a stat boosting move and a move that provides 100% confusion, Machamp can afford to go light on the EVs.

I just have grammar/spelling fixes; it otherwise looks good to me

[SET]
name: RestTalker
move1: DynamicPunch
move2: Payback / Stone Edge / Ice Punch
move3: Rest
move4: Sleep Talk
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The RestTalker has generally been the standard set for Machamp during previous generations, and it continues to remain so. This set allows Machamp to not only adequately absorb status from your opponent, but also (removed "to") complement the low PP of its powerful STAB Fighting moves.</p>

<p>Generally, the STAB move of preference is DynamicPunch, which will never miss thanks to Machamp's unique ability No Guard. Being able to induce confusion 100% of the time is also useful against several potential switch-ins such as Salamence and Gyarados because it makes it more difficult for them to set up. However, you may opt to use Guts instead of No Guard because it makes Machamp's attacks 1.5x stronger when it is asleep. In this case, Low Kick is your best option because DynamicPunch would not have perfect accuracy.</p>

<p>Your second attacking move should allow Machamp to have the most optimal type coverage. Payback is arguably the best choice because Bulky Ghost-types such as Rotom-A enjoy switching in on their immunity to DynamicPunch. However, Payback will always 2HKO it, and even the potential Will-O-Wisp is not a problem thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. Stone Edge is also a good option as it allows Machamp to hit Gyarados, Salamence, and Zapdos, whom resist Fighting, for super effective damage. Finally, Ice Punch allows Machamp to beat Gliscor, who otherwise walls it completely. It also provides an OHKO against a 120 HP / 0 Def Salamence 100% of the time with Intimidate and Stealth Rock factored in, which is something Stone Edge cannot do.</p>

<p>The 252 EVs in HP ensure maximum durability as well as Leftovers recovery. The 4 Speed EVs allow Machamp to out-speed a minimum Speed Blissey.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As with the RestTalker set, your secondary attacking move should allow Machamp to have the best type coverage possible. Stone Edge is a good option against Salamence, Gyarados, and Zapdos. The possibility of them attempting to stall you out with Roost or Rest is also less of an issue thanks to Encore. Payback is also useful because it will always OHKO Gengar and Azelf, as well as 2HKO Rotom-A.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: DynamicPunch
move 3: Stone Edge / Ice Punch
move 4: Payback / ThunderPunch

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Bulk Up, Machamp can be quite a threat to your opponent if their faster special sweepers, such as Azelf, Jirachi, and Togekiss, are out of play. DynamicPunch and Bulk Up go hand in hand because the possibility of your opponent being unable to attack you in their confusion can buy you ample time to set up. As always, your remaining options for attacking moves are virtually a matter of preference, though the best combinations of these moves would be Ice Punch and ThunderPunch or Stone Edge and Payback (removed "respectively" because I don't think it fits the sentence's intended meaning). If you are satisfied with only one other attacking move, then you may consider using Encore, as it gives you a wider opportunity to Bulk Up safely.</p>

<p>Overall, the main flaw in this set is that your sweep is easily thwarted by the large number of sweepers in standard that outspeed you. With 128 EVs in Speed, you will always outspeed minimum Speed Skarmory, though Paralysis support and possibly Agility boosts will give this set the most potential.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Band, Machamp reaches an attack stat of 591. This combined with STAB Close Combat and the fantastic coverage offered by your remaining moves means that very few Pokemon can safely switch into this set.</p>

<p>With 120 base power and STAB, a Choice Band Close Combat will 2HKO any Pokemon that doesn't possess a resistance or immunity to Fighting. Cross Chop, Low Kick, and DynamicPunch are possible options for STAB, but the sheer power offered by Close Combat is what makes this set so fearsome (fixed spelling). Even the drops in both of your defenses afterwards are not an issue as this is primarily a hit and run set. With 128 Speed EVs, you will outrun mininum (fixed spelling) Speed Skarmory, so you will not have to worry about it hitting you with its STAB Flying attacks. Payback will do heavy damage to the Bulky Ghost and Psychic types, such as Rotom-A and Cresselia. Ice Punch hits Salamence and Gliscor, who otherwise wall you, and ThunderPunch is in your last slot to hit Gyarados.</p>

<p>Because all of your moves have 100% accuracy, it is not necessary to choose No Guard as your primary ability, so Guts is the better choice. If you manage to switch in on a status move like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder-Wave, you will have the 1.5x boost from Guts alongside the boost from Choice Band, making Machamp an even bigger threat to unprepared opponents.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One of the worst traits about Machamp is that it is often too slow to sweep opponents, so (replaced "as" with "so", because the slowness makes it revenge-killed, not vice versa) it is easily revenge killed by faster opponents. With the given EVs and nature, Machamp hits 340 Speed with a Choice Scarf, which is enough to outspeed Adamant Dugtrio, as well as Bulky Gyarados and Adamant Tyranitar after 1 Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>As with the the Choice Band set, the given moves allow for the best type coverage possible. Guts is also the preferred ability, as the possibility of a scarfed Machamp with an additional attack boost is simply too useful to ignore, especially because many of Machamp's common switch-ins carry Will-O-Wisp. If you wish to use DynamicPunch as your primary STAB move instead of Close Combat, then you may use No Guard instead.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Fire Punch is your best option against Heracross, though Heracross already has trouble switching into DynamicPunch due to confusion, and Stone Edge will 2HKO Heracross anyway. Fire Blast is a better option as it hits Skarmory and Forretress (fixed spelling) much harder than (fixed typo) Fire Punch, though it will not 2HKO Skarmory or OHKO Forretress (just for clarity, it's probably not necessary) them respectively without some EV investment in Special Attack. It also never misses thanks to No Guard. Bullet Punch can (removed "be") help you finished off weakened sweepers as it has priority, though its lackluster damage output makes it tough to recommend.</p>

[EVs]

<p>Because Machamp is a powerful attacker, it (removed "always" because it contradicts "on most sets") isa good idea to place 252 EVs into Attack on most sets. Where to invest the remaining EVs is trickier, however, and mainly depends on what set you are using, although they are primarily split among HP and Speed.</p>

<p>As far as Speed goes, 4 Speed (fixed typo) EVswill be enough to beat minimum Speed Blissey, which is the standard for the RestTalk set. 128 Speed EVs (with a neutral nature) will be enough to outrun Skarmory, which is quite useful on the Choice Band and Bulk Up sets. Finally, 242 Speed EVs on the Choice Scarf set will outspeed Adamant Dugtrio.</p>

<p>Although 252 HP EVs on the RestTalk set is bulky enough for most purposes, you may want to consider 108 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe as an alternative (fixed typo) spread, primarily because it is better able to take repeated beatings from Tyranitar and Rhyperior.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>The main reason anyone would use Machamp over its fellow Fighting-types would be to take advantage of its unique ability, No Guard. STAB DyanmicPunch that never misses, backed my a monstrous Attack stat, make Machamp very difficult to switch into. Unfortunately, it is generally outclassed by the likes of Heracross and Lucario when it comes to sweeping, as they are much faster. However, Machamp's superior defenses make him a much more reliable check against Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Rhyperior. It also possesses a very wide movepool that not only offers great type coverage but also some interesting support options such as Encore. Overall, Machamp is very useful if you play it to its strengths.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Machamp is a very difficult Pokemon to counter overall, as you will be unable to attack 50% of the time if you are hit by DyanmicPunch. Thus, the best switch-ins against Machamp are bulky Ghost-type Pokemon as they are immune to Machamp's Fighting STAB. Spiritomb is the best choice as it is not weak to any of Machamp's attacks. Pressure will also deplete Machamp's PP pretty quickly, due to the fact that Machamp's STAB moves, along with Stone Edge, have low PP. Dusknoir works in a similar manner, although it takes super effective (I think super effective should be lowercase) damage from Payback. However, it won't do that much damage unless it hits you on the switch, as Dusknoir is much slower than Machamp, leaving Payback (removed a period) with a mere 50 base power. Rotom-A doesn't like Payback at all as it is faster (leaving Payback with 100 base power against it), but it can set up Reflect and handle the rest of Machamp's moves with ease.</p>

<p>Any defensive Pokemon that resists Fighting is also a fairly good check against Machamp, though the confusion (fixed spelling) induced by DynamicPunch makes things a little bit more difficult. Slowbro is an exception, as it is immune to the effects of DynamicPunch thanks to Own Tempo. Even Choice Banded ThunderPunch (removed comma) fails to 2HKO the standard Slowbro, and it can easily recover thanks to Slack Off. Celebi and Cresselia are also good checks to Machamp. Being confused by DynamicPunch can be bothersome, but they can easily stall Machamp with Reflect. They can also hit it hard with STAB Psychic. Gliscor pretty much walls it if it lacks Ice Punch, and Gyarados is also a good switch-in thanks to Intimidate, as long as it doesn't have ThunderPunch or Stone Edge.</p>

<p>In general, the most reliable method for beating Machamp is taking advantage of its mediocre Speed. It is very easily revenge killed by faster sweepers, especially those that pack super effective moves. This is particularly true for the Choice Band set, as although it dents almost everything with Close Combat, the resulting Defense drops leave Machamp wide open.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)