Magazine Name

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by darkie, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkie

darkie Uglison Brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Since we're hoping this magazine becomes a permanent fixture in the Smogon Community, we'll need a catchy name to keep things interesting. All members are welcome to submit names.

This information might be useful: we're planning this to be a monthly or bimonthly (every other month) magazine. Stuff like "Smogon Weekly" is absurd, because we'd never be able to finish everything in time. Quality > Quantity.

Let's keep submissions at a max of one name per person!
  2. tennisace

tennisace white bitches be like
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Die Smogon Zeitung (Alternatly Die Zeitung)
    Zeitung is newspaper in German, which is fitting since Smogon is German for Koffing. I think it flows well too.
  3. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Directoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

PokerUS Weekly

im actually surprised i came up with that so fast cause its pretty good imo!!
  4. Deck Knight

Deck Knight prominent CAP users
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Excellence

It describes what Smogon strives to achieve in a single word. A prefix is optional like "Smogon Excellence."
  5. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

Dialga Times
  6. Thorns

Thorns

I back Smogon Gazette. Something like the TAYlumrine Bimonthly would be cool too.
  7. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

MoP suggested The Smogon Bar in #biuret and I think that would actually be a really great name for the magazine.

Plus we can make "two pokemon walk into a bar" jokes.
  8. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Smogon Gazette was what I planned on suggesting, or Smogon Quarterly.
  9. darkie

darkie Uglison Brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

This information might be useful: we're planning this to be a monthly or bimonthly (every other month) magazine. Stuff like "Smogon Weekly" is absurd, because we'd never be able to finish everything in time. Quality > Quantity.
  10. Floppy

Floppy
    is a Pre-Contributor

smogazine

(smog-a zeen)
  11. Olie

Olie

The Smogon Journal? or alternatively, just "the Journal"

My city's newspaper is the Edmonton Journal, and I think it sounds quite professional, which seems to be the main purpose after all
  12. Farewell

Farewell

The "Smogonite", or depending on the frequency "Smogonite Monthly"

Logo can include Dragonite to fit the name.
  13. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Maybe something like the Smogon U. Folio.

Something that captures "Smogon University" rather than just "Smogon" might be nice if we're going down that road.
  14. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Gligar/Gengar Aficionado
  15. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I'm putting down Goethe for my submission.

If you are the educated sort of person, you should know who Goethe was; Scientist, Court Official, Playwright. These things have some, albeit loose, connection to the values of Smogon University; the scientist, trying new ideas, experimenting and tinkering, creating new ways to play pokemon. The court official, a position of power, making one's views heard, contributing to the everyday lives of ordinary citizens. Finally, the playwright, the ability and loquacency to make those views hold water, to be heard and from this, respected. Also, Goethe was possibly the greatest German writer who ever existed; in this way he is tied to the word 'Smogon' itself. I got this idea from my school, where the most prominent scientists have a magazine of their own, called 'Hooke'... who you should also have heard of.

So, Goethe. Thoughts?
  16. sporeing

sporeing

Title!

The Koffing Gas-ette: Smoking News in Purple Hues

Haha.. Sorry for my bad sense of humor..
  17. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

'The Smogon Rag' or 'The Smog Rag'
  18. SMZ

SMZ

Unigon, basically a fusion between Smogon and University.
  19. Veedrock

Veedrock

The Smogon Chronicle
  20. KoA

KoA The very best...
    is an Artist

Maybe something short and sweet like The Smogon Messenger.

Don't need to be putting a terrible amount of effort into a name, aye?
  21. blue_light

blue_light

The Smoggy Nexus.
  22. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The Smogon University Journal. It gives it the feel of an academic journal, which is exactly what he what to project as "the authority on competetive Pokemon".
  23. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The Smogon Spread
    I like floppy's alot though. I also wanted to submit "the paper trail" but 1 sub/dude!!!
  24. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

Die Smogon Zeitung
    "der" is wrong
    :-D

what about MetaGame
  25. Kristoph

Kristoph i'm a big giant cunt

Popular Mukanics
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)