Pokémon Magearna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in America I think. I'm in the UK and I was unable to get it, along with some others in places like New Zealand, so I'm guessing it's just NA
As said on Serebii, codes for Europe are expected tomorrow.

On topic: what Hidden Power would be best to reset for? Fire or Ground?
Also, since I can get a second one (have both games), what nature should I aim for besides Timid? Trying to make sure I can make more than one set with the UBs and legendaries.

what nature should I aim for besides Timid? Trying to make sure I can make more than one set with the UBs and legendaries.
I would say Quiet makes for the best 'alternative' set if you aren't going for Modest or Timid. Unless you want to try bulky/support, in which case... I guess Calm works.

Wouldn't a Support/Utility set be workable ? It has great mixed bulk, arguably one of the best defensive types in the game and its 135 SAtk allows it not to be setup bait. It also can heal semi-reliably with Pain Split and cripple opponents with Thunder Wave. It can also pivot with Volt Switch.

Something like

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef or Def / 4 wherever
Careful / Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon / Volt Switch / Aura Sphere
- Pain Split

EV Spread is far, far from optimal, but a bulky parashuffler set could def be useable.
Minor nitpick, but Calm is the +SpD -Atk nature. Careful is -SpA (assuming you wanted a -Atk nature)

Would an assault vest Magearna be viable? I'd imagine it would be similar to the specs build, but with the main difference being the change in item. So something like:

Assault Vest
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball / HP Fire / Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Magearna already has excellent SpA, which can snowball anyway with Soul-Heart regardless of the specs boost, and the ability to switch moves is invaluable - I always find it irritating to get the boost then be forced switch, whereas assault vest has more chance to take advantage of the special attack boosts gained by a KO, both by being able to change moves, and as it makes it very able to tank special hits, which gives it far more longevity.

I'd run Ice Beam, because it certainly OHKOs Landorus-I, and Landorus-I only has a tiny chance of OHKOing with Earth power after stealth rocks (before stealth rocks Landorus cannot OHKO, without a crit). Landorus would otherwise force a switch on Magearna, which would allow it to either use a spammable move (knock off or a powerful special attack), or set up rocks.

There aren't many special attackers that could OHKO magearna with an assault vest (Mega-Zard Y's fire blast was the only thing I could come up with, though there are probably others), whereas there are quite a few who could without - Landorus is an obvious one, but I am sure there are others.

Last edited:
Someone on Reddit said that you can.

Edit: Can confirm that you can.
Source? Never been able to synchro for gift Pokemon before.

Also I think trick room is definitely the most viable set as it takes only one turn to set up (Like SG) except you can dump what would've been your speed investment into bulk, giving it that much more staying power.

Source? Never been able to synchro for gift Pokemon before.

Also I think trick room is definitely the most viable set as it takes only one turn to set up (Like SG) except you can dump what would've been your speed investment into bulk, giving it that much more staying power.
I know I did about 10-20 SRs with a Modest Sync before keeping a HP Fire Magearna and all were Modest (similar to cosplay Pikachu and the gift Lati@s during ORAS's story).

On topic: what Hidden Power would be best to reset for? Fire or Ground?
Also, since I can get a second one (have both games), what nature should I aim for besides Timid? Trying to make sure I can make more than one set with the UBs and legendaries.
Have similar reasoning for a slightly different question:

Assuming that I don't care about minmaxing Magearna's Attack for Swagger/Foul Play/etc. and wasn't planning to invest in Speed anyway, what relevant threats does 31 IV Modest outspeed that 0 IV Quiet doesn't? Now that Aegislash is gone, all I can think of is min speed neutral nature Tyranitar (even though you resist both its STABs) or speed tying with Pelipper, which with that bulk & typing I would be willing to risk for only having to SR for it once.

For those soft-resetting for HP Fire on Magearna, it's going to be a bit of a pain. Only two of the four possible spreads for HP Fire are possible with the guaranteed 3 perfect IVs and any more than three is also a no-go. "E" denotes an even IV:
E/31/E/E/31/E
31/31/E/E/31/E
E/E/31/E/31/E
31/E/31/E/31/E

My advice from an hour and a half of trying (and still going): check the summary for traits. "Mischievous" and "Alert to Sounds" are a 31 in SpA and Spe respectively, so if you see that just reset. Otherwise, check the IV judge to see where your 31's are. If it's HP/Atk/SpD or HP/Def/SpD, go check your hidden power.

What about a bulky attacker?

Bulky Attacker
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Would it be any good? Soul-Heart makes it for the lack of SpA investment

seems like a very versatile mon. specs sets and bulky sets with slow volt switch are definitely viable and heart swapping cm boosts away from slower pokemon is probs gonna be a thing once the meta settles too

i feel that a bolt/beam/flash cannon/shift gear@shuca berry set best showcases its potential rn. it's a very potent cleaner once mons like scizor/heatran/rotom/mvenu are sufficiently weakened or removed. also it's bulky enough to afford 0 defensive investment. shuca is great for opening up setup opportunities.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-491670954

Defensive Magearna is amazing and really should be used more often (AV, or just a mixed defensive set with Leftovers). That typing is insane, and you still hit plenty hard.

Definitely an incredibly versatile mon.

God forbid GF went with 65 ATK and 95 speed. But most of all, it's a shame Fleur Cannon contradicts her ability.

Still a good pokemon and a future welcome addition to OU.

God forbid GF went with 65 ATK and 95 speed. But most of all, it's a shame Fleur Cannon contradicts her ability.

Eh, Fleur still hits like a truck and the ability does let you potentially sweep late-game (even on bulky sets every now and then) or at least lessen Fleur's drop if you have to attack again--a la Latios needing to attack after a Draco.

Been wondering, should the little robo have any speed investment? I figured no speed since it's the same as non-mega scizor (I'm planning on using a modest 248HP/252SAtk/8SDef AV set myself), but has anyone got an idea?

Been thinking of pairing this with Tapu Bulu (Grassy Terrain=weaker EQs + free lefties recovery, plus Magearna and the Tapu only share a Fire Weakness).

Honestly it was smart of them to give it 65 speed.

1. Thematically it's a dainty and slow Pokemon. Not a speedster. It doesn't need to be fast.

2. Look at its stats. 80 HP / 95 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SpA / 115 SpD / 65 Spd It's tanky and it hits like a truck, and has godly typing. So you want it to be all of that AND fast? Imagine a fast Scizors that out-speeds+U-Turns out of every bad situation and then think about if you really want to deal with that. Magearna is an example of a Pokemon having properly designed strengths and weaknesses. If you ask me more Pokemon need to be like that.

3. 95 attack gives it the option to go mixed. Gear shift + Iron Head/Brick Break lets it bust through all of those Special Defensive switch ins that wish to oppose it. Things like Chansey/Blissey will be in for a rude awakening when hit with a boosted Brick Break/Z-Move. They can't toxic you either so it'd just be a waste of their time to try to switch in.Plus when it's Special Attack falls from Fleur Cannon you can just rely on your physical attacks to deal with threats as mixed Magearna. And once you've gained your SpA back go back to Fleur Cannon.

I dont' really see how Fleur Cannon contradicts its ability

The difference between -2 after usage and kill and -1 is pretty damn huge, and Fleur Cannon by itself follows one of the most powerful move archetype in the game.

And lets be real in reality almost nothing can work with Moxie like ability since Moxie is SUCH a terrible ability. SH is the closest that almost works, but its really carried by Magearna's base kit being so good to begin with + its weird interaction in Doubles.

Also after thinking about it 44 speed EV on pivot utility Magearna is probably somewhat core because it outspeeds Skarmory with it

Last edited:

The difference between -2 after usage and kill and -1 is pretty damn huge, and Fleur Cannon by itself follows one of the most powerful move archetype in the game.

And lets be real in reality almost nothing can work with Moxie like ability since Moxie is SUCH a terrible ability. SH is the closest that almost works, but its really carried by Magearna's base kit being so good to begin with + its weird interaction in Doubles.

Also after thinking about it 44 speed EV on pivot utility Magearna is probably somewhat core because it outspeeds Skarmory with it
I personally like the slower Volt Switch in that situation, but if you're using TBolt that's the best option. Soul Heart actually is slightly better than Moxie since it triggers when your opponent dies to after-turn effects (poison/burn/sand/leech seed/hazards). IMO that makes stuff like Toxapex or Hippowdon pretty nice with Magearna since they can set up hazards (or sand in Hippo's case) or status things to trigger Soul Heart.

I'm kinda torn while resetting. The set I had the most success with was the mixed late game cleaner with Fairium-Z and Explosion, but I don't know if it's worthwhile when the meta settles. Also, regarding Hidden Power, there's the possibility of an Earth Power tutor (see Diancie), which makes HP Ground redundant (while being the better option than Fire at the moment).
So, Modest or Hasty and Fire or Ground? I'm leaning towards resetting in a few months, which - hurts.
Also, has anyone had success with a Calm nature in OU? It seems to be the preferred option in Ubers which I also play on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I personally like the slower Volt Switch in that situation, but if you're using TBolt that's the best option. Soul Heart actually is slightly better than Moxie since it triggers when your opponent dies to after-turn effects (poison/burn/sand/leech seed/hazards). IMO that makes stuff like Toxapex or Hippowdon pretty nice with Magearna since they can set up hazards (or sand in Hippo's case) or status things to trigger Soul Heart.
70 Base speed isn't really high enough that you can't call it a Slow Volt Switch. The most common Volt Switch user in the previous gen was 86

Although its quite a flip since SpDef Skarmory take 53% Max from fully invested +Nature Volt Switch so it falls on either you pressure Skarm with Magearna vs you pressure stuff with the other stuff that you bring in after Magearna talk

I'm kinda torn while resetting. The set I had the most success with was the mixed late game cleaner with Fairium-Z and Explosion, but I don't know if it's worthwhile when the meta settles. Also, regarding Hidden Power, there's the possibility of an Earth Power tutor (see Diancie), which makes HP Ground redundant (while being the better option than Fire at the moment).
So, Modest or Hasty and Fire or Ground? I'm leaning towards resetting in a few months, which - hurts.
Also, has anyone had success with a Calm nature in OU? It seems to be the preferred option in Ubers which I also play on a regular basis.
First, I am not even sure how Modest VS Hasty is a contest? Why on earth would you want to decrease her defense stat, when one of her strengths is actually being able to take hits. So I will assume you meant something else.

With regard to hidden power I would honestly not bother with it, because one of the things Magearna struggles with is that she has relatively low BP moves. In addition to that she already struggles just to fit in some very good coverage moves in Aura Sphere / Thunder Bolt / Ice beam while having to usually decide between her STAB Flash Canon / Fleur canon. I would much rather dedicate the slot or support in my team to weaken the mons covered by HP Fire / Ground and simply hit them with another corresponding coverage move that hits for a wider variety while having higher BP in general.

First, I am not even sure how Modest VS Hasty is a contest? Why on earth would you want to decrease her defense stat, when one of her strengths is actually being able to take hits. So I will assume you meant something else.

With regard to hidden power I would honestly not bother with it, because one of the things Magearna struggles with is that she has relatively low BP moves. In addition to that she already struggles just to fit in some very good coverage moves in Aura Sphere / Thunder Bolt / Ice beam while having to usually decide between her STAB Flash Canon / Fleur canon. I would much rather dedicate the slot or support in my team to weaken the mons covered by HP Fire / Ground and simply hit them with another corresponding coverage move that hits for a wider variety while having higher BP in general.
Hasty wasn't a typo, I wrote up a mixed Shift Gear set on page 1 and in the Z moves thread, consisting of Fairium-Z, Fleur Cannon, Aura Sphere, Explosion and Shift Gear with a Hasty Nature. It needs the +Speed nature to outspeed Scarfchomp while I'd regard SpDef as more important to somewhat wall Psychic spam since there's no weakness to any type of priority. But regarding that set; I don't know if I want my ingame Magearna niche, since once the meta settles, I expect HO to die down, and the more defensive the teams are, the less late game cleaner Magearna works.

In terms of HP, you're probably right - especially when tutor moves become a thing, there won't be room in an already pretty crowded moveset.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Moxie is a great ability. How can you call something that makes sweeping easier a bad ability? It was a good ability on Mence in Gen V, as well as DD Gyara in early BW. Soul Heart is an amazing ability for Magearna, which relies on weaker BP coverage moves to nab KOs, meaning that getting an extra +1 in SpA can mean the difference between a sweep or not. It also gives stuff like the AV set more of an intimidation factor, since you can't just sack something and bring in a check as easily.

Point is, Sould Heart is an awesome ability, mitigates Fleur Cannon's drawbacks, and any Moxie-type ability is great on mons with sweeping potential.

Is Magearna's speed low enough to justify running Gyro Ball? It would be a good asset for a mixed set if you don't want to sac with Explosion. I'm not in a position to run calcs, but would something like a Shift Gear / Gyro Ball / Brick Break / Fleur Cannon set be worthwhile? Similar to a mixed Draco set. Or would that be too much overlapping coverage?

*Edit: Also Iron Head exists, too. Two part question.

Last edited:
Is Magearna's speed low enough to justify running Gyro Ball? It would be a good asset for a mixed set if you don't want to sac with Explosion. I'm not in a position to run calcs, but would something like a Shift Gear / Gyro Ball / Brick Break / Fleur Cannon set be worthwhile? Similar to a mixed Draco set. Or would that be too much overlapping coverage?

*Edit: Also Iron Head exists, too. Two part question.
Shift Gear and Gyro Ball in one set is quite a questionable choice so nope. Apart from this, Gyro ball requires really slow speed to be useful, the only things that actually use it succesfully are ferrothorn and bronzong (and I guess gyroball aegislash aegislash, but this is specifically vs boosted xerneas) which have much lower speed and dont mind minimizing it. While magearna can live without speed investment, it still likes outspeeding slower defensive pokemon.

About physical based sets, there is simply so much speaking for using magearna's sp.atk to its fullest extent that physical attacks are quite useless, not even taking into account ts basically non-existant physical movepool. You can argue that it can boost with shift gear, but fleur cannon will still vastly outdamage even +1 iron head against most targets and there's still soul heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)