Magic the Gathering thread

Haha, oh magic, I used to be so addicted to that game, but I stopped after coldsnap... damn I loved coldsnap, and I had a really sexy 40 card green/black deck. Now I kinda want to go rebuild my red/green beast deck... that was sweet... oh the nostalgia...

i'm curious, what was kamigawa all about? that whole block just looked like it didn't really uh, "fit", i guess. this is more about the books though, which i've kept up with for awhile now.

for awhile it's just your typical fantasy mtg world, then BAM what's up? we're samurai. has anyone read those books, and if so are they worth reading?

I havent read the books, but i think the story its pretty good, its about a king (eishiro or something like that) that stole the son of the supreme kami (spirits or gods) and that started a war between the kami and the humans, the main protagonist its toshiro umezawa, i read part of the story and i think its pretty good, i think the books are good.

wasn't umezawa that guy from waaaaaaaay back in legends? hell if he's in there, i may have to give these books a read. i have one or two about him, though they're one offs (i don't believe they belong to any particular block), and they're decent.

if i tell you i will ruin the story, but there its a relation between the guy from legends and toshi, on other thing, have you seen the elves vs goblin box?? they RULE, i love the cards that both decks have

The Morningtide previews start this week, go to magic the gathering.com and check them out, some of the new cards look cool

As long as they don't make a new/better version of Goblin Tinkerer, I'm happy, because the current block is so fucking abusable/broken. Its like Wizard took all their ideas for cards that were too good, gave them a new colour, and printed them. I mean, green has good draw now ;_;

EDIT: FUCK

;_;

What.....are you talking about? Harmonize is from Planar Chaos, unless you're talking about a draw I haven't seen. This treefolk is good but not metagame-breaking. This elf sucks balls. The only HUGE things I've seen by now are Mutavault, Mind Shatter and maybe Mind Spring.

Take a wild guess.

I started playing during the Invasion cycle. Well, that's when I bought my first structure deck, at least. I'd been introduced to the game itself waaaay back when a friend from school showed it to me on Halloween (living in a hill-environment with no sidewalks, I resorted to latching onto other kids my age to acquire candy, not unlike the common remora). I stopped sometime around Betrayers of Kamigawa since I had no one to play with, but I still have fond memories.

The irony (dramatic irony, specifically) is that I still use Viashino_wizard as a master screenname despite the fact I haven't logged on to MtG Online in at least three years.

Ah it's been years since I last played, I got really into the Myradon (I think that's how you spell it) Series and Kamigawa, but I stopped there.
Though I mostly bought packs from the older days, god I loved goblins of the Scourge days.

Morningtide looks absolutely bananas. Holy crap.
I think type 2 is going to be super fast-paced for a while.
No planeswalkers or planeswalker support cards? That's odd...

Damn them for not making an Artifact Changeling.

I am very exited when i saw the cycle of creatures that cost 2 mana and reduce the cost of the other races, i am exited about the goblin black one, i think it can make it to extended, and what do you think about odissey cycle rotating out? i will personally miss it

For all of you who didn't play when Mirrodin was legal: just be happy you didn't have to put up with Clamp Affinity. It would be roughly akin to legalizing Deoxys-A in UU.

I regularly PTQ, have qualified for nationals, and have been to several GPs. Haven't Q'd for any Pro Tours yet, but I have attended two qualifiers this season and plan on attending seven more around the midwest in the hopes of getting a plane ticket to Hollywood. A bunch of my friends have been on the Tour for the past few years and they've traveled all over Europe and been to Japan like two or three times, which looks like an awesome experience.

As for anyone looking to learn how to play competitively, I highly recommend downloading MTGO (Magic Online) and start from there, as it is easier to visualize many of the more difficult concepts that new players have a hard time comprehending (the stack, mana pool, triggered and activated abilities, etc). I was pretty terrible at the game until I did this. It also gets players into good technical habits; it's amazing how people show up to events and not even know what the phases of a turn are.

Oh man, I remember that.

"Hello, I'm Arcbound Ravager, and I've come to rape you in the ass. Repeatedly."

Just goes to show you not to underestimate artifacts. Seriously, they had to ban Keeper of the Vault and the Artifact Lands.

At least it wasn't fucking elves, though. I never met a deck as annoying as the fucking elves.

For all of you who didn't play when Mirrodin was legal: just be happy you didn't have to put up with Clamp Affinity. It would be roughly akin to legalizing Deoxys-A in UU.

I regularly PTQ, have qualified for nationals, and have been to several GPs. Haven't Q'd for any Pro Tours yet, but I have attended two qualifiers this season and plan on attending seven more around the midwest in the hopes of getting a plane ticket to Hollywood. A bunch of my friends have been on the Tour for the past few years and they've traveled all over Europe and been to Japan like two or three times, which looks like an awesome experience.

As for anyone looking to learn how to play competitively, I highly recommend downloading MTGO (Magic Online) and start from there, as it is easier to visualize many of the more difficult concepts that new players have a hard time comprehending (the stack, mana pool, triggered and activated abilities, etc). I was pretty terrible at the game until I did this. It also gets players into good technical habits; it's amazing how people show up to events and not even know what the phases of a turn are.
MTGOL is such a rip off. Its just paying real money for virtual cards. >_>
I think the best way to get started is to take your random shitty deck to a legacy tourney in a card shop and let the really good players give you tips. ^_^
I'm running black red discard with a twist of white right now, and I win the tournament every few weeks.

Or you can always download magic workstation, its something similar to MTGO but with all the cards aviable and free, the only things its that the most decks that you will face are almost blue control, you almost never face pure aggro in workstation

Oh man, I remember that.

"Hello, I'm Arcbound Ravager, and I've come to rape you in the ass. Repeatedly."
Yeah i remember that... that's why I quit Magic. Damned Skullclamps,Ravagers and Disciples of the Vault. Oh yeah, Shrapnel Blast as well. I took a look at Time Spiral, that set looked pretty cool, and theres also the fact they reprinted some of my favourite cards, like Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Akroma, Angel of Wrath. Might play one more time just to use those cards.

EDIT: What theme is Lorwyn?

I used to play a lot, but I cannot keep-up with the money it costs to keep-up with Type-2 cards and with the bets cards in the game. Plus, living in a super small town limits the amount of people that you can find to play the game. Last set played was Time Spiral, and man, it was a great set!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)