Magic the Gathering Tournament I: Group Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello pilots for MTG,

I have gone ahead and created the groups. Using random.com I have created 4 separate groups containing 5 participants. Again, to remind you guys, I will copy and paste the rules from the signup thread.

Tournament Rules:
1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
4. You DO HAVE TO use the same deck throughout the entire tournament and you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
4a. In order to be fair, send in decks to TheAngry Scientist; he has generously volunteered to collect the decks for the tournament in order to make sure that people aren't changing between rounds. Thanks!
5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The number of people that signup will be divided into 4 group. Each player will play all the other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck. Doing so will get you kicked out of the tournament and banned from future tournaments
7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck or no sideboard at all; nothing in between
8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory. (Ripping other peoples decks off the internet isn't a bad idea *wink wink*)
9. It is advised that players compete whilst drunk, high, or any other mood to insure the most fun possibly. EVERYONE and their mom wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.

The groups are as follows:

Red Division
Timetwister (0-1)
shiki - DQ'd
Myzozoa (2-1)
Iron (2-1) - DQ'd
Loos (1-2)

Blue Division
Tea Demon (2-2)
Fig (2-1)
bojangles (4-0)
Yuri (1-2)
IPL - DQ'd

Orange Division
MrEsc (2-2)
Temperantia (1-3)
asim (2-0)
matty (2-0)
Doran Dragon (0-2)

Green Division
tad38 (3-1)
Blue Captain (4-0)

Phiddlesticks (0-3)
Sandman (0-3)
Whistle (2-1)

All decks are required to be sent in to The Angry Scientist; his profile is here.

ALL MATCHES SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY SEPTEMBER 25th
. Please, please, please make sure these get done

If you have any questions, wall or PM me as usual

Good Luck, Have Fun!

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Red Division
Timetwister
shiki
Myzozoa
Iron
Loos

timetwister is legit. Iron's pretty solid too. Tough division right here.

Blue Division
Tea Demon
Fig
bojangles
Yuri
IPL

Good luck guys.

Orange Division
MrEsc
Temperantia
asim
matty
Lady Salamence

This one was hard to call.

Green Division
tad38
Blue Captain
Phiddlesticks
Sandman
Whistle

tad is an INVOKER!!!! Seriously though, he's really experienced with magic as a whole. Predicting 0-4 for whistle.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Red Division
Timetwister
shiki
Myzozoa
Iron
Loos

Iron should win this, I don't plan on using any deck that involves skill beyond sit there and combo out.

Blue Division
Tea Demon
Fig
bojangles
Yuri
IPL

Anyone could come in second in this group, but I only bo in first. I havent seen ipl play but he could be a surprise winner.

Orange Division
MrEsc
Temperantia
asim
matty
Lady Salamence

I have to predict matty to advance otherwise i wont ever get to beat his 12-post deck with my kitties.

Green Division
tad38
Blue Captain
Phiddlesticks
Sandman
Whistle

tad38 is my prediction to win everything, and whistle sux

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
List of people who have sent me their decks:

asim
Fig
Jace The Mind Sculptor/Iron
ibojangles
imperfectluck
Loos
matty
Mr Escalator
myzozoa
Phiddlesticks
sandman
Shiki
tad38
Temperantia
TEA_DEMON
timetwister
whistle
Yuri

Remember to send in your decklist before you play! I'll edit this list as I receive more.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey so once you get your team submitted and can find someone else in your pool who has submitted too, go on ahead and start playing your pool. There really is no reason to wait and nothing will change if everything is finalized.

That said, I have my team submitted and am ready to start playing in my pool

EDIT: As a heads up im gone Saturday and a majority of Sunday so I'll updated stuff when I get back

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
oh god

i have to drop out

because mtg has changed so much since i last played, and i lost my touch

i don't want other players in my group having problems

sorry

OF COURSE i mana screw in g2 and then draw five lands in a row after mulliganing to 5 in g3. That is how utterly retarded my luck is. tea demon 2-1

For those who are new to Cockatrice, here is a tip: When you first build a deck and use it on the program for the first time, it opens it as it was built. Meaning, that all the lands will be bunched up and all the cards will be with their duplicates, creating for horrendous hands either chockfull of lands or none at all. Therefore, before actually using the deck in an important match, use it in lots of little test matches. The program will then open up the deck as it was used from your previous match, and thus it should be shuffled enough where those type of bad hands dont happen.

I hope I explained it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)