Magic: The Gathering

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm planning on selling my rares on some site or another since I really have no need for them anymore. Its only about 120 rares so not that big or anything. Anyone know of a site that would buy them other than eBay? Would be muchly appreciated :) they include 5 pretty rare prerelease promo cards from around 2005 which I expect might be worth something.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
First place I would check would be Star City Games. You should look over their buylist to see if what you have is something that they're looking for. If you have a local card shop, take them there and see if they'd be willing to buy them. There are other sites online that may buy them as well, but like Star City Games, they may have certain ones they are looking for.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I would like to say that I got absolutely trashed in EDH at the hands of Zy and ibo but I am ok with it. Yee magic.

Also, if anyone wants to play a game of legacy, come find me on #mtg

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Looking at websites is a good place to start. But remember that websites and even stores are really cutthroat, they'll be buying your rares and often selling them for double what they paid you for. I would try to sell them at a collectibles swap meet or the equivalent, or make friends with a store owner/employee and have them sell them for you.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm planning on selling my rares on some site or another since I really have no need for them anymore. Its only about 120 rares so not that big or anything. Anyone know of a site that would buy them other than eBay? Would be muchly appreciated :) they include 5 pretty rare prerelease promo cards from around 2005 which I expect might be worth something.
I hear CardKingdom has really generous buylists, but I don't know if it's the same for Brits. Worth looking into, though.

Anyway, I said I'd never buy a modern deck until duals were reprinted and the banlist was fixed, but I'm still looking for a deck on cockatrice! I don't really like just turning creatures sideways, so I was initially somewhat displeased that control was seemingly dead. However, Cruel Control and Teachings decks seem pretty strong. Does anybody have any experience with those?

bojangles if u want ill give you a modern control decklist. It creeps up on people.
As for EDH im running the simic guilder leader (the elf) as a general and soo far wrecking most people with the blue proctor + simic sky swallower.

Fig

is a Contributor Alumnus
bojangles if u want ill give you a modern control decklist. It creeps up on people.
As for EDH im running the simic guilder leader (the elf) as a general and soo far wrecking most people with the blue proctor + simic sky swallower.
Momir Vig? I run that guy as my Commander in my RL EDH deck. Blue/Green has some interesting interactions. I'm quite fond of running my roil elemental combined with all the land ramp the deck has. Stealing people's creatures with every land drop is fun.

Myzozoa

speaking of tooth and nail, you could do RUG (or even mono green i suppose), ramp up a lot then tooth and nail out deciever exarch and kiki jiki.

Fig

is a Contributor Alumnus
All the fun of splinter twin without the splinter twin eh? Oh man, just put a Splinter Twin on Kiki-Jiki with Deceiver Exarch for many lols.

Try sneak attack +cloud sotne curio + Prime you will get every land in the deck. Or even junds little dragon. Tooth and Nail are a staple in any green deck for the fact that is soo versatile.

Myzozoa

Thinking about U/B control in modern, you have damnation and way better counterspells, and you also get access to discard spells against combo decks. And it could easily become grixis control running cruel ultimatum which gives you even better stuff.

hey all. turns out my best friend recently got into magic and we've been playing each other with his cards so today he and i went out to buy me a deck builder's toolkit. i just got done making my first deck -- i guess i would call it an elf/mana ramp deck with some white cards (i.e. pacifism, blinding mage, soul's attendant, infantry veteran) thrown in. i was aiming for a deck that gives me the time to set up enough land to overpower my opponent with creatures buffed by my wildheart invokers and other various buff cards (e.g. the infantry vets, pennon blade, giant growth). i'm excited to try it out on him tomorrow.

anyway, i was wondering if you vets had any deck building tips for a beginner? for example, effective playstyles, color combinations, deck size, mana to card ratio, et cetera?

i'm having fun just making decks atm. i'm planning to make one with the rest of my cards later one. i never expected i'd get into magic but i really like it so far!

If your playing Elfs you wanna figure out a combo play (elves can be brutal.) I recommend learning the core mechanics down and just finding what color you like. Also check out youtube vids on the pro tour soo you see a better understanding of top decks.

okay, i'll definitely check out youtube vids, thanks. i feel like i've got most of the core mechanics down as my friend and i have already played plenty of games with his decks but of course there is always room to learn. what is a combo play?

foreys i honestly think that sealed is a good place to start playing. basically, sealed is just grabbing six boosters (you should probably start with m12) and making a 40 card deck with what you have (which is usually 17 lands and 23 other cards). if you do this a few times here you'll get a good feel for the style of play you prefer, especially if you can find someone to play on cockatrice, and it also gives you a good chance to evaluate cards and get a general feel for the game. drafting is also a good way to do this but sealed is probably easier.

okay, i'll definitely check out youtube vids, thanks. i feel like i've got most of the core mechanics down as my friend and i have already played plenty of games with his decks but of course there is always room to learn. what is a combo play?
If you can't find recent PTs on youtube you can also find them in zip files on the official MTG website (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Events.aspx). Combo decks are decks that are designed to win the game very quickly using a combination of cards (some have 2 or more very specific combo pieces that usually win the game when assembled together and the rest of the deck generally just tries to find them or buy time against aggressive decks, while others like Elves simply have great synergy together and don't look to necessarily win the game in one turn but rather build an insurmountable advantage).

Also, I assume you are just playing casually with friends and thus are allowed to use any card you can get your hands on, but organized play is divided into different formats that allow different cards to be played in them, so if you want to understand what people are talking about when they say "Standard", "Modern", "Legacy", "EDH/Commander", etc., you will want to look up the definition of each format at some point.

My first time back to Smogon since March ! Ok, let's see here...

Every time I get a new hobby, a thread shows up on Smogon about it only a short time later (LoL, chess, and now M:TG).

I use cockatrice a lot and would love to participate in any format, including draft.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
what is a combo play?
Basically in MTG there are three main deck types that other decks fall under: Aggro, Combo, Control.

Aggro is when you try and win in the first few turns with strong, undercosted creatures. The synergy is minimal beyond maybe a few creatures buffing one another. Your deck is probably aggro atm. Green, Red, and White are usually the most aggressive colors, but Black has been making a bid with vamps in Standard recently. RDW (Red Deck Wins) and White Weenie are both iconic, classic aggro strategies.

Combo tries to get a combination of cards that generate a game-winning effect, usually via creating infinite something, be it tokens or mana or card draws. The center of a combo deck is usually called the "engine." A combo Elves deck would probably focus around generating a shitload of tokens and powering them up via Doubling Season and maybe gaining life via Wellwisher. I guess that could be considered Aggro too, but it is slightly more long-term focused. Exarch Twin and Valakut are examples of current combo decks in Standard.

Control decks are decks that aim to accrue more resources over the long run, wearing out opposing decks before dropping a big bomb to finish the game. Draw spells and counters are staples of control. Bounce and mass removal as well as spot removal is common. White, Blue, and Black are the most common control colors. UB Control featuring Grave Titan as the big bomb is common in Standard.

Vader actually ocmbo elf nowadays is Ramp up elfs to swing with the newest one form scars (cant rember his name.). U can end up swinging for 20 in about 4 turns.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ohh, Ezrui? I forgot about him, lol. That sounds fun, esp with the insane amount of ramping elves get.

Wait wasn't combo elves about Heritage Druid tapping Nettle Sentinel to generate lots of mana and draw with Glimpse of Nature? Might be outdated now though as I haven't played in about a year.

so mark rosewater has given us some loose tidbits from innistrad.

• A card based on a silver-bordered white card
  • A token-making sorcery which makes more creature tokens than any previous token-making spell (not counting X spells or spells that make a variable number)
  • An enchantment that could let you play all your creatures for free
  • A spell that can deal 13 damage to multiple creatures for one mana (and yes, I mean 13 damage multiple times)
  • Many—and I'm talking more than a few—cards inspired by famous horror stories
  • A card that turns a loss into a win
  • A two-mana creature that lets you make a 2/2 creature each turn for two mana
  • A card that lets you exchange your life total with something you've never been able to exchange it with before

• A planeswalker with five loyalty abilities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)