ORAS OU MagneMence Madness (MMM M M) - An ORAS OU RMT

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
MMM - oh wait: there are 2 more Pokemon with names begining with M...

MMM M M

When I went onto Pokemon Showdown a while ago, I spotted ORAS OU and I decided to get into it. built a few teams, but by far the most meticulously built of them all was one inspired by aim's mono-attacking Mega Salamence and Choice Scarf Magnezone core that he used in his 'Enter Mega Salamence' video. I built is using a combination of looking at what beat the core and my knowledge of what was common in the OU tier.

Teambuilding Process

This is the core. Magnezone traps and KOs Steel-types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire, and it has become such a big influence on the metagame that we are seeing a flashback to the DP OU metagame in Shed Shell Skarmory. Magnezone takes out the main counters to Salamence nicely, meaning that it doesn't have to sacrifice a moveslot for Fire Blast.

I decided to use Mamoswine for 2 reasons: to take out Landorus-T, who stops the main core of the team cold, and to lure and KO Rotom-W with Freeze Dry. Mamoswine also lets deals with opposing Magnezone more reliably than my own one does, making it that much easier for Salamence to clean up with Return.

Balloontran was chosen for two reasons: it is the only thing the team has to stop Sand Rush Excadrill reliably and it works as a backup lure for Landorus-T when Mamoswine can't. Additionally, it can reliably beat Mega Salamence one-on-one, which is vital for the team. While the latter may not seem so much of an issue to to Mamoswine, Mamoswine is screwed over by Intimidate, which means that it can very easily become setup fodder once Salamence switches out or faints.

The team at this point really struggles vs Calm Mind Mega Slowbro, which is currently one of the most influential threats in the metagame. Additionally, I really need Defog support so that Salamence can set up Substitute more times before needing to Roost. This is why Mandibuzz is the best pokemon for the job. It can reliably get around Calm Mind Mega Slowbro with Punishment, and it can clear Stealth Rock for the team. I decided to forgo Taunt for more reliable damage in Foul Play as I already had Taunt on my Heatran, so I felt it was a little unnecessary and I needed a way to hit more reliably than Punishment.

I picked Tyranitar despite my team's glaring weakness to Fighting-types for multiple reasons. First of all, I wanted a reasonably bulky, special attacking Dark-type, and secondly I wanted a lure for things like Azumarill and Ferrothorn. This is where Tyranitar fits the bill perfectly, as I am running a fully special lure set to deal with said Pokemon, be it through catching them on the switch-in with my coverage or allowing Magnezone to trap and Steel-type when I don't want to risk Fire Blast missing or hide my full moveset.

Team Details

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Mono-attacking Mega Salamence is a monster, but it does suffer a little from being walled by Steel-types. Substitute is nice for blocking Will-O-Wisps and Dragon Tails from stopping Salamence from sweeping. Additionally, it is easy to set up due to the number of switches Salamence forces. It eases setup and it eases predictions, making it easier to play around my opponent. Roost is nice for its ability to let Salamence recover its HP while easing two of its biggest weaknesses in Ice- and Rock-type attacks, while making it reliably able to beat non-Choice Scarf Rotom-W when its behind a substitute. Dragon Dance is what makes it so monstrous, and it has an easy time setting up on a large portion of the metagame. Return is the STAB of choice, hitting a whopping 132 base power before STAB. You could use Frustration to get around max happiness Ditto, but then you are just beaten by min happiness variants, so it is down to personal preference really. The EVs I have chosen allow Mega Salamence to outpace timid base 110s like Latios and Latias before a boost.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Choice Scarf Magnezone traps and KOs non-Shed Shell Steel-types. Choice Scarf can outpace the vast majority of the unboosted metagame, and it is the teams best check to birdspam after Salamence has mega evolved as it outpaces adamant Talonflame. Hidden Power Fire is what makes it so good at KOing Steel-types, and Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB that takes out Skarmory more reliably. Flash Cannon is just nice coverage for specially defensive Fairy-types, as well as being its best bet vs Rock-types and Mamoswine. Volt Switch is nice for its ability to gain momentum or switch out of an unfavorable matchup. Max speed Timid is chosen to outpace everything from timid Thundurus downwards, and it also ties with opposing Choice Scarf Magnezone so that it isn't as easily trapped and KO'd by them, although it is still somewhat a problem for Magnezone when it is locked into Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Mamoswine is one of the most important members of this team, and it can take out some of the biggest threats to Salamence and Magnezone when used correctly. Ice Shard is important for the priority that it provides, while Icicle Crash is chosen over Icicle Spear as I wanted more reliable damage as it isn't a Stealth Rock lead. Earthquake is a more reliable STAB than Icicle Crash VS anything that doesn't resist it, and Freeze Dry lets Mamoswine lure and 2HKO physically defensive Rotom-W with the given EVs. 29 HP IVs minimises the damage Mamoswine takes from Life Orb, and I have gone for max speed with a naive nature to outpace offensive Heatran, adamant Gyarados and jolly Breloom, the latter of which is important to outpace its Mach Punch with Ice Shard.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

HP Ice BalloonTran is my teams check to Excadrill and Mega Salamence, as well as another check to Landorus-T, hitting it for an OHKO with Hidden Power after Stealth Rock damage either on switch in or on the turn it pops my balloon. Fire Blast is a powerful STAB, Stealth Rock is just nice utility, Hidden Power Ice is for Salamence and Landorus and Taunt is just nice for its ability to shut down things like Chansey. The EVs outpace adamant Excadrill.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

As stated before, Mandibuzz is my team's way of getting around Calm Mind Slowbro. Punishment is what enables me to do that, reaching 100 BP after just 1 Calm Mind. This quite literally punishes Slowbro for attempting to set up, and it is more useful than Whirlwind or Taunt on this team in my opinion due to its lack of negative priority, I already have a Taunt user and it ignores Oblivious when my opponent tries to be smart and doesn't mega evolve. Foul Play complements Punishment nicely, dealing with physical setup sweepers far better than it does. The rest of the moveset is rather self explanitory, but I'll explain anyway. Roost lets Mandibuzz heal back up, meaning that it can check things right through the match, and Defog clears Stealth Rock for Salamence, as well as clearing Dual Screens to stop them from hampering the damage of it and its teammate's attacks. The EVs outpace adamant Azumarill, as well as preventing Landorus from 2HKOing with Focus Blast.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Ever sinse I made the set, I have absolutely loved this. This set primarily lures Ferrothorn and Azumarill and KOs them with Fire Blast and Thunderbolt, respectively, or, in the case of the former, allows Magnezone to trap and KO it. Ice Beam is also nice as Tyranitar lures Landorus-T. Dark Pulse is the main item on display though, as it OHKOs physically defensive Slowbro and Mega Slowbro, who are problematic for this team otherwise. The EVs I have chosen allow Tyranitar to outpace modest Magnezone while a modest nature is what enables Tyranitar to score the KO on physically defensive Slowbro and Mega Slowbro in conjunction with Life Orb.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Possible Variations
Explanations Below Hide Tags
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This variant of the team is for players who want a slightly more reliable means of damage than Foul Play on Mandibuzz. There is one pro and one con to doing this, with the pro being Mandibuzz hitting special attackers harder on average than if it runs Foul Play, but at the cost of hitting physical attackers and users of Swords Dance/Dragon Dance for less damage due to being forced into using Punishment on the latter. Ultimately, its down to personal preference.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Shed Shell
Timid / Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This variation is made so that Magnezone can escape opposing Magnezone instead of both sides being trapped, while also not forcing a risked tie with Volt Switch. Additionally, it allows Magnezone a little more freedom due to its ability to switch moves. However, it sacrifices the ability to outpace everything up to base 113 speed. Its up to you whether you prefer this or not.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This one gives up Magnezone's ability to tie with opposing Choice Scarf Magnezone for more efficient EVs. Generally this isn't recommended though due to it now always losing to opposing Choice Scarf Magnezone when they trap you.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Punishment
- Stone Edge

This version alleviates the team's weakness to Fighting-types at the cost of making it even weaker to Greninja than it was before. It aims to lure and use momentum to get around physically defensive Slowbro and Mega Slowbro instead of luring and flat out KOing them. U-turn is used when you expect Slowbro to come in, and Punishment is for when they successfully get up a few Calm Minds. The EVs outpace adamant Excadrill. The rest is self explanitory. Whether you use this is down to personal preference really.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Knock Off

This lets you get around physically defensive Slowbro using sheer power while dealing heavier damage to the tier overall than lure Tyranitar does at the cost of no longer being able to handle Azumarill as well as before, as well as making it harder to lure Ferrothorn for Magnezone. Down to preference whether you use this or not.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

This variation uses Talonflame to get around Mega Medicham and Fighting-types, while Natural Gift somewhat lets Talonflame handle physically defensive Mega Slowbro. Additionally, Talonflame is an effective stop to Greninja due to Gale Wings. This variation may replace the current variation in the near future, but for now it will stay as it is.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Punishment
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Sp
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

This variant works the same way as the Talonflame one, except it exchanges the ability to take on Fighting-types for the ability to take on Ground-types.

Weaknesses
  • Fighting-types - As I mentioned before, this team has a big weakness to Fighting-types like Mega Gallade, Lucario and Conkeldurr. While this is somewhat alleviated by Salamence's typing and Intimidate prior to mega evolution, it is still a problem for the vast majority of my team, and it is ruined if they are running Ice-type coverage.
  • Greninja - Greninja is so much better in the ORAS metagame than it was in the XY one. This is because of a combination of it checking a large portion of threats in the metagame such as Mega Slowbro and Mega Salamence and it gaining Gunk Shot as a better way to hit Fairy-types and Mega Sceptile than it has without it. This in conjunction with Protean makes it a huge threat, and the same applies vs this team. There is nothing that can safely switch into its attacks, making fighting it one big mind game of predicting around Hydro Pump and Ice Beam.

Conclusion

While this team is far from perfect, I feel that I did a good job at working around the MagneMence core, and I appreciate any feedback that I am given. Thank you.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would appreciate any feedback you can give, so I am getting this back to the front page. Sorry for the bump :/

Your team is pretty solid! The only weakness that I have noticed is that Mega-Medicham rips your team apart. Mandibuzz might take 1 or 2 ice punches, but that's it. If I had to replace 1 team member, it would be Tyranitar. Mega Medicham will take it out before it can do anything. I would replace it with Talonflame. It can defeat Medicham and take out a few extra foes in the process. Other than that your team is pretty good.

Martin

Your team is pretty solid! The only weakness that I have noticed is that Mega-Medicham rips your team apart. Mandibuzz might take 1 or 2 ice punches, but that's it. If I had to replace 1 team member, it would be Tyranitar. Mega Medicham will take it out before it can do anything. I would replace it with Talonflame. It can defeat Medicham and take out a few extra foes in the process. Other than that your team is pretty good.
The main reason I had Tyranitar was as it is my teams only way of luring and KOing physically defensive Mega Slowbro, but I will add a Talonflame variation to the bottom, and maybe make it the main team in the future. Thanks for your feedback :]

Last edited:
You are a terrible person get Mega-Salamence out of here your team will be banned in a week

Nice team. Definitely one of the more creative teams running MegaMence + Zone, and I love the Tyranitar set.

I see you have noted the possibility of Knock Off > Foul Play on Mandibuzz, and I would definitely make that change. Knock off simply has more synergy with Magnezone, allowing you to remove Shed Shells from Ferrothorn or Skarmory. Alternatively you could put knock off on Mamoswine but Rotom-W looks like a serious problem for your team and I would keep Freeze Fry.

To make your team slightly more capable of dealing with Greninja ban the damn mon you can change Heatran to Choice Scarf Heatran and Mamoswine to Focus Sash Mamoswine. I would suggest choice scarf Ttar but it doesn't outspeed Greninja what kind of a cruel world is this?

248 Spe Modest ScarfTran can outspeed Greninja, but I would Recommend max speed because of base 135 threats - i.e. Lopunny.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Obviously you would need a Stealth Rocker, and Focus Sash Mamoswine is a great one. Focus sash also lets you take a hit from Greninja if you're at full. If you don't make this change I would recommend running Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash to OHKO Breloom and break subs (why Salamence wouldn't Return idk).

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry/Icicle Spear/Knock Off
The last slot is a toss up. Knock Off is great for Zone and would let you run Foul Play on Mandibuzz, Icicle Spear is Great for OHKOing Breloom or Mence (from full ofc), but I would run Freeze Dry because it seems like Rotom-W would be a massive problem without it.

Love the team. Cheers and good hax luck to you fren :]
-Aristhus

Hello, you have a great team based off of the pretty common mega mence + magnezone core.
One thing that stands out to me however, is that tyranitar is literally completely outclassed by greninja in the aspect of beating the mons you stated it could. Greninja beats landorus-t (if not scarfed, however tyranitar can't beat it either if it's scarfed), azumarill with gunk shot, and beats slowbro with gunk shot and ferrothorn with HP fire. Hydro Pump isn't really needed, because heatran doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Therefore, I recommend a set of 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe, with ice beam, dark pulse, HP fire and gunk shot. 4 attack still OHKOes standard assault vest azumarill after rocks, but you can bump it up to 40 if you want to OHKO it no matter what. To some extent, it also weakens your greninja weakness, because you have a chance to speed tie and take it out with gunk shot. (Unless it's running shadow sneak)

So basically, just change greninja to tyranitar because imo it completely outclasses it.

This team looks great, good luck n_n
Greninja set

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dark Pulse

Martin

You are a terrible person get Mega-Salamence out of here your team will be banned in a week

Nice team. Definitely one of the more creative teams running MegaMence + Zone, and I love the Tyranitar set.

I see you have noted the possibility of Knock Off > Foul Play on Mandibuzz, and I would definitely make that change. Knock off simply has more synergy with Magnezone, allowing you to remove Shed Shells from Ferrothorn or Skarmory. Alternatively you could put knock off on Mamoswine but Rotom-W looks like a serious problem for your team and I would keep Freeze Fry.

To make your team slightly more capable of dealing with Greninja ban the damn mon you can change Heatran to Choice Scarf Heatran and Mamoswine to Focus Sash Mamoswine. I would suggest choice scarf Ttar but it doesn't outspeed Greninja what kind of a cruel world is this?

248 Spe Modest ScarfTran can outspeed Greninja, but I would Recommend max speed because of base 135 threats - i.e. Lopunny.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Obviously you would need a Stealth Rocker, and Focus Sash Mamoswine is a great one. Focus sash also lets you take a hit from Greninja if you're at full. If you don't make this change I would recommend running Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash to OHKO Breloom and break subs (why Salamence wouldn't Return idk).

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry/Icicle Spear/Knock Off
The last slot is a toss up. Knock Off is great for Zone and would let you run Foul Play on Mandibuzz, Icicle Spear is Great for OHKOing Breloom or Mence (from full ofc), but I would run Freeze Dry because it seems like Rotom-W would be a massive problem without it.

Love the team. Cheers and good hax luck to you fren :]
-Aristhus
I will consider switching around the variations, but I will test it first to see if it works better in practice or not, especially when Foul Play lets Mandibuzz handle Mega Salamence effectively after a boost or two.

The main problem with using ScarfTran and SashSwine is that then my team struggles vs Rotom-W, Excadrill and Landorus. The reason that I had balloontran was as Excadrill rips a hole in the team without it, and Sash Mamoswine fails to 2HKO Rotom-W with Freeze Dry. They can now come in and dent my team. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate the help :]
Hello, you have a great team based off of the pretty common mega mence + magnezone core.
One thing that stands out to me however, is that tyranitar is literally completely outclassed by greninja in the aspect of beating the mons you stated it could. Greninja beats landorus-t (if not scarfed, however tyranitar can't beat it either if it's scarfed), azumarill with gunk shot, and beats slowbro with gunk shot and ferrothorn with HP fire. Hydro Pump isn't really needed, because heatran doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Therefore, I recommend a set of 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe, with ice beam, dark pulse, HP fire and gunk shot. 4 attack still OHKOes standard assault vest azumarill after rocks, but you can bump it up to 40 if you want to OHKO it no matter what. To some extent, it also weakens your greninja weakness, because you have a chance to speed tie and take it out with gunk shot. (Unless it's running shadow sneak)

So basically, just change greninja to tyranitar because imo it completely outclasses it.

This team looks great, good luck n_n
Greninja set

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dark Pulse
The reason I chose Tyranitar over Greninja was because it lures them onto the field to be taken out, which Greninja does not. That is why I feel it is better on this team as I can't KO it if I come in and it switches out. That is the reason why I did not use Greninja. That and Greninja is too mainstream

Last edited:
I will consider switching around the variations, but I will test it first to see if it works better in practice or not, especially when Foul Play lets Mandibuzz handle Mega Salamence effectively after a boost or two.

The main problem with using ScarfTran and SashSwine is that then my team struggles vs Rotom-W, Excadrill and Landorus. The reason that I had balloontran was as Excadrill rips a hole in the team without it, and Sash Mamoswine fails to 2HKO Rotom-W with Freeze Dry. They can now come in and dent my team. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate the help :]
Yeah those changes weren't the best. So I did some thinking on your team and gave it an overhaul. I'm changing a lot so you might not like it but I'll explain the changes.

The first thing that had to be changed was obtaining a more reliable answer to fighting types. To do this I chose Zapdos > Mandibuzz. Zapdos is a physically defensive beast that played well can even handle Ice punch Conkeldurr 1v1. It also checks Slowbro or Mega Slowbro so you don't lose out on a check to those. With the standard set of ThunderBolt | Heat Wave | Defog | Roost it manages to check/counter Ferrothorn and Azumarill. Because of this Tyranitar is out of place.

Don't get me wrong I love the Ttar set and am certainly going to try it out in the near future. But it exacerbates your weaknesses to Fighting and Ground types so it needs to be replaced. My first instinct was to put Choice Scarf Latios on the team because it Revenge kills Greninja but then your Mamoswine weakness is ridiculous. So it might seem out of place but I'm choosing Breloom > Tyranitar. The standard Focus sash set should work here with Jolly and a set of Spore | Mach Punch | Bullet Seed | Rock Tomb. It isn't revenge killed by greninja and can deal 50%+ with a neutral Mach punch.

At this point Rotom-W isn't nearly as much of a problem so you can put Knock Off > Freeze Dry on Mamoswine for Synergy with Magnezone and Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash because of Focus sashes and Subs.

Also 172 Spe EVs on Salamence to outspeed Lati@s before a boost.

I still think Choice scarf Latios would fit better than Breloom but it would require another mon change and I'm not sure what to change. Anyways, here's the team as I have changed it -- it's pretty good I think. Sorry if there are too many changes for you to like it.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

I honestly dont see the point in trying to outspeed base 110 and lower, especially when you only do it after evolving, before boosting, when you could get much more power and bulk by investing differently. I would suggest the spread of 248 Hp / 152 Atk / 56 Spd / 52 Spe with an Adamant nature This spread allows you to always take a volt switch from rotom-W while outspeeding stallbreaking mew, the rest into power. The bulk allows you to take a crapton of physical hit thanks to godlike 130 base defence and high HP. Why outspeed terrakion when you can set up a dd? :)
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 226-268 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Martin

Yeah those changes weren't the best. So I did some thinking on your team and gave it an overhaul. I'm changing a lot so you might not like it but I'll explain the changes.
There is a lot of this to take in, and there is no way I am completely overhauling the team when I put so much thought into optimalising the team to make it what it is today. I will still comment on your suggestions anyway 'cause wynaut :p
The first thing that had to be changed was obtaining a more reliable answer to fighting types. To do this I chose Zapdos > Mandibuzz. Zapdos is a physically defensive beast that played well can even handle Ice punch Conkeldurr 1v1. It also checks Slowbro or Mega Slowbro so you don't lose out on a check to those. With the standard set of ThunderBolt | Heat Wave | Defog | Roost it manages to check/counter Ferrothorn and Azumarill.
The problem I have with Zapdos is that it fails to beat CM variants of Mega Slowbro, as after just two boosts it fails to 2HKO And this is before factoring in specially defensive variants of CM Slowbro.This is hightly problematic as it is such a force in the metagame ATM, and it is something that the team isn't currently equipped to take on. It is ultimately why I decided that I needed a user of Punishment to deal with it, and I settled on Mandibuzz for its access to Defog.
Don't get me wrong I love the Ttar set and am certainly going to try it out in the near future. But it exacerbates your weaknesses to Fighting and Ground types so it needs to be replaced. My first instinct was to put Choice Scarf Latios on the team because it Revenge kills Greninja but then your Mamoswine weakness is ridiculous. So it might seem out of place but I'm choosing Breloom > Tyranitar. The standard Focus sash set should work here with Jolly and a set of Spore | Mach Punch | Bullet Seed | Rock Tomb. It isn't revenge killed by greninja and can deal 50%+ with a neutral Mach punch.
This does literally the same thing as the Talonflame variant, except that Talonflame can takes on the Fighting-type weakness rather than the Greninja one. Adding this variant to the bottom.
At this point Rotom-W isn't nearly as much of a problem so you can put Knock Off > Freeze Dry on Mamoswine for Synergy with Magnezone and Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash because of Focus sashes and Subs.
Knock Off would work with your version of the team but IMO Icicle Spear is better suited to the Oblivious Sash Lead set as Mamoswine needs all the power it can get and reliable damage from Icicle Crash is generally better on such sets.
Also 172 Spe EVs on Salamence to outspeed Lati@s before a boost.
Thanks for this. That's a far better spread. Changing to this on all variants of the team, including the one showcased.

I know you understand that an overhaul of the team isn't something that I am willing to do, but it is great that you had a good, hard think about this. Thanks for your comments :]

Martin

I honestly dont see the point in trying to outspeed base 110 and lower, especially when you only do it after evolving, before boosting, when you could get much more power and bulk by investing differently. I would suggest the spread of 248 Hp / 152 Atk / 56 Spd / 52 Spe with an Adamant nature This spread allows you to always take a volt switch from rotom-W while outspeeding stallbreaking mew, the rest into power. The bulk allows you to take a crapton of physical hit thanks to godlike 130 base defence and high HP. Why outspeed terrakion when you can set up a dd? :)
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 226-268 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Because that spread is lacking in power before a boost, and Mega Salamence doesn't set up every time it comes in, meaning that it needs all the speed it can get. That is good for the defensive phazer set, but not for DD.

Because that spread is lacking in power before a boost, and Mega Salamence doesn't set up every time it comes in, meaning that it needs all the speed it can get. That is good for the defensive phazer set, but not for DD.
I'm not going to get into an argument, this is your team, your playstyle blah blah blah, but its not exactly ''lacking power'' as it does in fact have an 11 points higher attack stat, but if you find a speedier set more useful, fine. Bye.

Pent

dumb broad
A small detail, but one that will help.

Megamence!

Not hating or anything yes I am, DAMN YOU, but you should probably consider running frustration, for it is the same as return with base damage. For those Imposter dittos with max happiness, or any other Pokemon with a copying abilty or move. Just a recommendation, but please consider it.

They're honestly about the same because for those same reasons, some dittoes might be running 0 happiness just to beat mons running frustration, but since mega salamence already has sub, and ditto can't imposter behind sub. Also even if ditto manages to copy his stat changes, he has magnezone who 4x resists flying, and does loads of damage with thunderbolt.

Pent

dumb broad
They're honestly about the same because for those same reasons, some dittoes might be running 0 happiness just to beat mons running frustration, but since mega salamence already has sub, and ditto can't imposter behind sub. Also even if ditto manages to copy his stat changes, he has magnezone who 4x resists flying, and does loads of damage with thunderbolt.
Well, that's reasonable ^^ Just a recommendation though.

Martin

Not hating or anything yes I am, DAMN YOU, but you should probably consider running frustration, for it is the same as return with base damage. For those Imposter dittos with max happiness, or any other Pokemon with a copying abilty or move. Just a recommendation, but please consider it.
I have mentioned Frustration in the details about Salamence's set already anyway, so this will not be needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)